Ball St Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ball St Postgame Thread

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If this was the foul on Ashlynn in the 4th Q, hmm.
1701956407332.png

Reaction Score
A few random observations
When u attend the games which I’m fortunate enough to do u see a lot that does not come thru on tv and you can follow a player off the ball

Caroline not on the bench wish her the best!!

Jena Al efy walking effortlessly!!

There was a half time video from re international players from
Dorka
she is a very an amazing young woman
Who impresses me every time I hear her speak

Obviously a great game by
Ms Shade but when you just watch her
Off the ball her constant movement on offense
And energy defensively is very impressive
It’s unusual to find a player with impeccable
Fundamentalls who works incredibly hard
But is also a great athlete Found myself just watching her for a number of possessions
Her stamina was also very obvious
My mid season I suspect she will be a 30-35
Min player

In the third quarter Aubrey seemed to be
Struggling physically seemed to be slow
Getting up the floor and and don’t seem to
Have her normal lift
Certainly had a very good game
Perhaps my observation is erroneous

When you see the five players defensively
While the effort is excellent the lack
Of rotation especially to contest layups
Or get to three point shooters was not there

Teams have scouted and they are not going
To guard Ice Aubrey or Alliyah outside the paint
The shot at the foul line and the elbow was
There the whole game made a few but most
Of the time not looking to take the shot
Especially a problem when 2 bigs in the game
With 2 players sitting in the paint
Not a problem against Ball State but will be
Against better comp

Watched Paige working very hard off the ball
To get open but for whatever reason not getting
A lot of touches
Interestingly out of time out ran a play for her
And got a wide open 3

Lastly re GA at the start of q-3
He sat on the bench looking down at the ground for at least the first two minutes
To me anyway not looking particularly interested in the game.strange
Best post I have read on here in a long time, thanks.
As Geno looks for the pieces of the puzzle, it is clearer what he has to work with.
You are not going to win the big games with Paige only taking 7 shots. Her first shot, a made three happened at 4.25 of the first quarter. If you are playing SC, you would be done by 15 points at that point.
As we have been scouted , we have 3/4 maybe 5 players , that other teams would let shoot wide open shots all night long. If their "man" stands 10 feet from them how do our players who like to penetrate get to the basket , they don't.
Lastly, Q and Shade made great contributions and lets hope it continues.

Reaction Score
IMO while Paige is physically there w/r/t her game she's not yet there mentally. It's tough, she hasn't played in actual games in well over a year but I think in time she'll be OK.

Ashlynn had a great game.

Loved the Muhl sisters hug at the end of the game. :)

Reaction Score
Obviously a great game by
Ms Shade but when you just watch her
Off the ball her constant movement on offense
And energy defensively is very impressive
It’s unusual to find a player with impeccable
Fundamentalls who works incredibly hard
But is also a great athlete Found myself just watching her for a number of possessions
Her stamina was also very obvious
My mid season I suspect she will be a 30-35
Min player
This is what I noticed watching her HS games over the last two years. Ashlynn typically played a one-player full court press for entire games. She never ran out of steam, often engineering the win in the final minutes. She’s used to carrying a burden of expectations from her teammates. It’s exactly who she is. For 4 years, she’s been the go-to player and it’s where she’s most comfortable. I thought she looked a little uncomfortable the first few games because she was just playing a bit part. The more pressure and responsibility Geno heaps on her shoulders the more she’ll shine. Folks have compared her to Kia and Kelly, and there are similarities. In present terms, her passing isn’t quite there yet, but she’s like Nika on D, but stronger, with a Paige-level midrange game.

Reaction Score
As I was saying in the Chat room during the game, The Team needed this game. This win. Winning changes so much. Ball State, like someone mentioned here in the Yard, is no slouch but they are in the mid-major window and a lot of folks overlook them, but Ball State is a pretty solid team. With that being said, what a game! I love the energy. Something to build on going forward.

Great game by the freshies. I throw Ice in with them. I am glad that they got some minutes this game. Some real solid minutes. This is only going to boost their confidence going forward. Learning how to play through their mistakes. Getting use to the pace of play and the physical play. I am glad that they all got minutes out there. Ice will get better and start knocking down the long ball. The goal is always get better each practice and game. Ice and the Freshies will get better.

Great balance on the offensive end. Glad to see Paige getting some rest. I cringe every game, especially in the 4th quarter, when I see Paige out on the floor with only 2 minutes left and the game is out of hand. Not every game she will play 20 minutes but she needs that rest. The team needed this game. Now against UNC. Who knows what is going to happen but it was great to see such a balance attack on offense and Paige getting that much needed rest.

Great game, UConn

Reaction Score
These types of games make everyone look good. Any player on the UConn roster not only would start on these teams, they would be their star player. As much as I like getting the younger players minutes in a game like this it isn't going to make the team more competitive against teams that are on their level.

After 8 games my observation is different than what I thought it would be at this point. Initially I thought Nika should be the point guard and Paige a wing to give Paige more open looks but I have noticed that Paige isn't that player. She absolutely needs to be running this team and in charge of the offense. AE is not enough size to compete against good teams and Ice isn't the answer as the second big in the game. Ice is more of a 3 and with her ability would be a huge asset in that role and I think she could be the spot up three point shooter that is missing. The three Freshmen are all interchangeable and can come in and provide offense and give the starters real rest without giving too much to the opponent.

UConn is as good as anyone 1-4 but I am afraid if they can't figure out how to get 6'6 in the middle they will have a long season. Against Texas who is normally big they struggled in the paint and it affected the rest of their game. I also think they are better than most teams with 6-10 so I am not down on them I am just down on trying versions of the same thing expecting different results.

Reaction Score
I think she has a better shot than Kia ever developed. And don’t really agree on Q. She shoots well when set and when she has plenty of time. Her rushed shots can be way off.
Kia’s 3 point shot, when open and set was really good. By season she shot 40.8%, 37.0%, 46.2% and 44.3%. Career total was 262/618 or 42.4%.

While her midrange/variety game seems to be better, there’s still a lot to prove before we can anoint her a better long ball shooter than Kia.

Reaction Score
The team needed a comfortable win in the warm environs of home to gain back team confidence. Ball St was an ideal team for the freshmen to let loose and not necessarily worry about bad shots, turnovers or making mistakes. They look to have a bright future ahead of them.

I am a bit dismayed with the offense. Last night, it looked like Aaliyah and Ashlynn were the first options on offense. Shade and Samuels were ready on the trigger as soon as they touched the ball. The issue I have is that the team has a former NPOY who seems almost incidental to the half court offense. I recall two times where she looked for her shot. One was when she posted up a smaller defender and Aaliyah made a nice pass. The other occurred in the second half when the team set screens to free up Paige for a clear look at a three.

Paige does not have to shoot to make her presence felt. During the game, she has one terrific rebound in traffic, she's always a threat to intercept a pass, and would have more assists if only teammates would finish. However, against upcoming teams like NC, Louisville, Marquette, ND & SC, the talent level and defense are ramped up. Many of the shots Ashlynn took last night won't be clear looks against NC. In Uconn's 3 losses, a player or two stepped up their play to ensure victory. Saniyah Rivers did in the NC St game, Kiki Rice in the UCLA game, and Rori Harmon and Madison Booker did in the Texas game.

Physically, Paige looked fine on the defensive end, particularly in the 3rd quarter. She wasn't needed offensively against Ball St, but she has to be more aggressive in the next 2 games and look to create and take more shots. If not, it's like have a Ferrari in your garage, but never taking it out for a spin. She's too good not to.

Yes, the freshmen have to contribute, but it will take awhile before they can be consistently relied upon. I'm not saying that Paige needs to hoist 31 shots like Caitlin Clark did last night, but she needs to stamp her imprint on the outcome like Caitlin does every game.

Reaction Score
I think we learned something from this game...unless it was just the latest experiment in deciding who does what, when and for how long. Other than Paige getting 10 or more minutes less than we'd normally expect, I suspect, as a general matter, that we saw yesterday is what we'll see a lot of. AE, Ash, Paige, KK and Nika will see starter minutes. Q, Aubrey and Ice get major sub minutes.

The game was fun to watch - an easy win does that. At the end of the first quarter my thought was that it was like the best dream ever for Boneyarders; two freshman start, AE playing well, Paige gets some rest but shoots well, Q keeps shooting and making baskets, the points just piling up. The other three quarters broke the spell but still ok.

I would like to see some better shot distribution as we go forward. AE took 11 shots, which is good. Ash took 14, Q 8, Paige 7 and Aubrey 6. Between them KK and Nika took 5. KK and Nika need to consistently show they need to be quarded to make it easier for the real scorers to get open shots. Paige likes to be a facilitator but she is the best scorer on the team and needs to look for her shot way more often. She doesn't need much room to get her shot off and when she wants to can work her way into a good shot with or without help from teammates. Too often it is without help. I keep looking for single or double screens set for her beyond the arc and don't see that often.

The next couple of games will be telling. Can't wait to see how this all shakes out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The reality of Shade and Q excite me about their potential. Shade is fierce and a miss doesn't discourage her. Q reminds me of Aubrey. She moves and it's effortless, including her shot.

Reaction Score
I think she has a better shot than Kia ever developed. And don’t really agree on Q. She shoots well when set and when she has plenty of time. Her rushed shots can be way off.
Kia was one of the best 3 and D players UConn has had. Shade has a great mid-range but Kia still holds 3pt records, 9 in a NCAA over Maryland. Led the nation at various point in 3 point percentage. Shade has a long way to go and has to put up shots when they matter before I say she has a better shot than Kia.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If this was the foul on Ashlynn in the 4th Q, hmm.
View attachment 93786
To me it was the typical type of officiating. Paige picked up 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes of the game. I believe in the next 18 minutes, we picked up 3 fouls. Five fouls in the half. Ball State was not as fortunate. Then at halftime, the refs read the stat sheet and within the first minute of the 2nd half, we were called for 2 fouls and that continued for the remainder of the game. We almost caught up to Ball State in total fouls. It was 17 UConn and 20 BSU by the time the game ended. The number of FTs also evened out in the second half after being 14 vs 2 in the first half.
So, yup, this is a foul (even though I think this happened in the first half).

Reaction Score
Haven't seen anyone mention this so thought I'd give it a go. Usually no one seems to notice cutters on offense and rarely do they ever get the ball. Not sure is it is a chicken and the egg thing but most of the cuts seem to have no purpose. Is this because they are almost always ignored or are they being ignored because they haven't been successful. They need to be crisp and with a purpose. I'm also not seeing a lot of screens being set and used. Virtually no pick and roll. Just observations not complaints.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The team needed a comfortable win in the warm environs of home to gain back team confidence. Ball St was an ideal team for the freshmen to let loose and not necessarily worry about bad shots, turnovers or making mistakes. They look to have a bright future ahead of them.

I am a bit dismayed with the offense. Last night, it looked like Aaliyah and Ashlynn were the first options on offense. Shade and Samuels were ready on the trigger as soon as they touched the ball. The issue I have is that the team has a former NPOY who seems almost incidental to the half court offense. I recall two times where she looked for her shot. One was when she posted up a smaller defender and Aaliyah made a nice pass. The other occurred in the second half when the team set screens to free up Paige for a clear look at a three.

Paige does not have to shoot to make her presence felt. During the game, she has one terrific rebound in traffic, she's always a threat to intercept a pass, and would have more assists if only teammates would finish. However, against upcoming teams like NC, Louisville, Marquette, ND & SC, the talent level and defense are ramped up. Many of the shots Ashlynn took last night won't be clear looks against NC. In Uconn's 3 losses, a player or two stepped up their play to ensure victory. Saniyah Rivers did in the NC St game, Kiki Rice in the UCLA game, and Rori Harmon and Madison Booker did in the Texas game.

Physically, Paige looked fine on the defensive end, particularly in the 3rd quarter. She wasn't needed offensively against Ball St, but she has to be more aggressive in the next 2 games and look to create and take more shots. If not, it's like have a Ferrari in your garage, but never taking it out for a spin. She's too good not to.

Yes, the freshmen have to contribute, but it will take awhile before they can be consistently relied upon. I'm not saying that Paige needs to hoist 31 shots like Caitlin Clark did last night, but she needs to stamp her imprint on the outcome like Caitlin does every game.
It’s somewhat ugly because Geno told them to play the way they did in high school. This is to simplify things for the young players for now. The freshmen are still learning.

People need to be patient while the team evolves because it’s going to be a long process. Expecting the players as they are today to look like the UConn teams we’ve seen in the past is unrealistic.

Reaction Score
We clearly miss Azzi, Caroline and Ayanna but we also very much miss Jana who could have been that other big we need. It is clear, despite all hope, that Amari is not that player but I do believe Jana would have been able to meaningfully contribute just based upon the film I saw of her, freshman or not.

Ash showed that she can be and wants to be the other scorer we need right now. She needs to have that type of game against NC on Sunday to really propel her forward but we have to remember that it will likely be fits and starts for all the freshmen. As I said before, they will all be sophomores by necessity come March.

I feel very badly for Paige. Her hopes of a NC have been dimmed by injuries and she has missed so many games in her career. She is an extraordinary player but she seems to be holding herself back right now. It is really time for her to start shooting and also getting the ball more since she is a great passer and just taking ownership. She may be pacing herself however so we will just have to see.

They can be a small, fast, fun team when all the pieces of Geno's puzzle fit together. They are truly fun to watch when they get to going. It will be a tough season for sure but as Kara pointed out last night, Tennessee lost 10 games before they won the NC in 1997. Sunday is a huge test for the "new" team.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I am late to the party and missed most of the thread. But...

-the 37 point first was vintage UConn of old.
-Ball State is well coached and will win a lot of MAC games. Losing their top scorer early was killer.
-Great night for the Muhls. Hana played well and gets the title as the youngest looking college player ever.:)
-Aaliyah is backing off taking that 15 footer. Would help a lot if she could shoot and make a decent percentage of those.
-maybe the reason for Aubrey's inconsistency is her health. Another ball that Geno has to juggle...
-Count me among those who thought Ashlyn would have limited minutes. Injuries allowed her opportunity and she is talented enough to take full advantage.
-KK has a great pull up mid-range jumper. Just wish she would shoot it more.
-Geno is being unusually patient with his freshmen. Just can't imagine how Amari and Ines are in practice because they continue to get no run at all.
-Never imagined that I would see Paige playing a 4 in a UConn uniform.
-Not seeing Azzi and Carol on the bench makes me sad.

Reaction Score
This is what I noticed watching her HS games over the last two years. Ashlynn typically played a one-player full court press for entire games. She never ran out of steam, often engineering the win in the final minutes. She’s used to carrying a burden of expectations from her teammates. It’s exactly who she is. For 4 years, she’s been the go-to player and it’s where she’s most comfortable. I thought she looked a little uncomfortable the first few games because she was just playing a bit part. The more pressure and responsibility Geno heaps on her shoulders the more she’ll shine. Folks have compared her to Kia and Kelly, and there are similarities. In present terms, her passing isn’t quite there yet, but she’s like Nika on D, but stronger, with a Paige-level midrange game.
That sounds a lot like Lou. Was the one her team looked to to score. Shade will become that person in time.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Fun game watching Shade do her thing and UConn looking more like a team in the hunt....I'm a little concerned about Paige: She took 7 shots and played well, but if you compare her Freshman season to this one, you will see two different players. Could be she is still on her way back, we'll see. I would like to see Amari get big minutes against not so good teams to find out if she is able to be a good post player, too much height not to give it a try.
She has had her chances and came up wanting. In last night's game she had a good chance to make a post move to the basket. What happened? She stood still like a statue waiting for the pass to come to her, while two defensive players came right around her to intercept the pass. This is just one example of her play when she has had the opportunity to show her stuff. Don't you think Geno would love for her to be the answer to the search for a post player the team needs.?

Reaction Score
Fun game watching Shade do her thing and UConn looking more like a team in the hunt....I'm a little concerned about Paige: She took 7 shots and played well, but if you compare her Freshman season to this one, you will see two different players. Could be she is still on her way back, we'll see. I would like to see Amari get big minutes against not so good teams to find out if she is able to be a good post player, too much height not to give it a try.
I think it has been tried.

Reaction Score
Geno rolls out his 6th different starting lineup in 8 games, inserting both KK and Ashlynn along with the 3 seniors. A couple thoughts.
  • The small lineup that UConn went with today played with great energy to start the game. Clearly all 3 freshmen are under orders to be AGGRESSIVE on offense. I doubt Geno can go small against everybody. But against a good mid-major team, the small lineup worked well to start off the game.
  • Aubrey has not been giving Geno the production he needs as a starter. The solution, have Aubrey come off the bench where she almost always provides instant energy. Aubrey was exceptionally productive tonight.
  • OK, who had Hanna to outscore her big sister tonight? :cool:
  • Geno used this game to do a lot of mixing and matching while giving all his young players PT. They are making plays, and they are making mistakes. But the most important thing is that they are gaining game experience that will hopefully pay big dividends down the road.
Geno has OPTIONs. Using Ashlynn and KK or Q and Paige offense with good guard play. Geno has no options other than playing those willing to throw up the ball. For 4 games they passed, passed, passed and were intercepted. The Uconn penchant to pass trying to find the open man--is well known. UConn's patented "help" defense is also known. This game you saw more one on one with a tiny complimentary of help.

I can't call Ball a weak or bad team by any stretch of the imagination! They aren't however a top 20 team. Even then they fought the remaining 3 quarters--Ball, if memory is effective didn't win any quarter--but for 3 quarters they were NOT out of the game. Their young lady shot 7 shots 5 3's and made 4. Can Uconn get her to transfer?
Unless 42, DeBerry plays as Geno hopes, Uconn is pretty much what it is. Also on DeBerrry, she to is what she is. She is NOT stubborn. She is not refusing to give Geno what he desires. If she had it she'd give it. Accept Ms DeBerry she is --like you and me-- what she is. The reliance shall be with under sized post. How far can that take Uconn?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom