Bad blood between team and Neptune? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bad blood between team and Neptune?

Reaction Score
If I was a BE coach, I would be "reminding" the refs every single game that Hurley is going to yell and scream and Hawkins/Jackson are going to bark all game

Gets an extra set of eyes on them, I do think we have a bad reputation with officials because of Hurley's antics last year + the whole Bouknight ejection incident
I can see it a little bit. I will say though, outside the taunting techs, the team (especially Adama & Dre) seem to have a lot of real respectful interactions with officials after fouls and such, getting explanations. I’ve seen it in person & on TV. (May have got Adama a little latitude for that ball spike after his second during the FT’s)

Reaction Score
I can see it a little bit. I will say though, outside the taunting techs, the team (especially Adama & Dre) seem to have a lot of real respectful interactions with officials after fouls and such, getting explanations. I’ve seen it in person & on TV. (May have got Adama a little latitude for that ball spike after his second during the FT’s)
Are you sure he spiked the ball? I have never seen a player spike the ball that close to a ref and not get a T. My wife and I were sitting fairly close, but I didn't actually see the spike happen. All I saw was the ball bounce really high and Sanogo walking away. My wife said that the ref was the one who bounced the ball. That didn't make any sense to me, but later she pointed out the ref bouncing the ball pretty forcefully between free throws. He was catching it on the way up, but perhaps he missed it for some reason in the Sanogo incident.

Reaction Score
As others said, he used the TO's to stem any momentum UConn was gaining. And it worked. Unfortunately that strategy means you don’t have any left at end of game. It was a valid strategy and it worked for its purpose.
To use your last timeout with 8 minutes remaining in a Big East road game makes for an uphill battle in the closing minutes. I think Neptune is actually a pretty good coach overall, but I bet he wishes he handled that scenario differently. Frankly, I was shocked that they were out of timeouts that early.

Reaction Score
As others said, he used the TO's to stem any momentum UConn was gaining. And it worked. Unfortunately that strategy means you don’t have any left at end of game. It was a valid strategy and it worked for its purpose.
He called one after a whopping 4-0 run, then called another when the lead went from 7 to 9 over a three and a half minute span. Plus the one after their own made three. None were to stop huge runs, so in my eyes not valid at all. It’s rookie coaching, if your team can’t fight through a 4-0 run you haven’t coached them up well enough.

Reaction Score
I've seen it a couple more times now...

Andre was definitely talking to the bench behind Neptune. The coach just happened to be there when he turned around to start talking.

FWIW, that player/bench talk happens all the time in every game. Maybe what he said crossed some sort of line, but chirping the opposing bench is not abnormal.

Still, he has to be careful going forward. Maybe just a Tyrese Martin stare is the way to go going forward. Then again, if we keep winning, he can get a tech every game for all i care.

Reaction Score
I've seen it a couple more times now...

Andre was definitely talking to the bench behind Neptune. The coach just happened to be there when he turned around to start talking.

FWIW, that player/bench talk happens all the time in every game. Maybe what he said crossed some sort of line, but chirping the opposing bench is not abnormal.
I don't know where he got it from, but my friend said that Neptune was saying, "He's not a shooter!" to his defense. Andre then purportedly hit the 3, turned around, and said, "And you're not Jay Wright!"

Maybe it's just funny fan fiction that got past along as a factual report. Either way, the idea is hilarious.

Reaction Score
He used the last time out after a made three by his own team. That is supreme incompetence.
The last timeout came after Diarra hit a floater to extend the lead to 8 and they couldn't inbound the ball against our press

Reaction Score
He called one after a whopping 4-0 run, then called another when the lead went from 7 to 9 over a three and a half minute span. Plus the one after their own made three. None were to stop huge runs, so in my eyes not valid at all. It’s rookie coaching, if your team can’t fight through a 4-0 run you haven’t coached them up well enough.
To use your last timeout with 8 minutes remaining in a Big East road game makes for an uphill battle in the closing minutes. I think Neptune is actually a pretty good coach overall, but I bet he wishes he handled that scenario differently. Frankly, I was shocked that they were out of timeouts that early.

He was trying to go offense/defense with Daniels after he picked up his 4th foul, but did it way too early and lost all his TOs. Didn't fully burn him since it was a 1 possession game with a few minutes to go, but it definitely started making Villanova pick up their pace a little.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It looked like AJ thought either Neptune was on the court or too close to the court (technically Neptune shouldn’t be standing there but every coach does that especially Hurley
For what it’s worth an opposing teams, coach used to step out on the court, typically when a break was happening on for my kids team. Maybe it was enthusiasm, maybe it was an attempt to narrow the lane and but it happened routinely. My kid just drove right into him and then fell over and picked up the technical on him. Afterwards I confirmed suspicion that it was deliberate. “If he wants to give me two free throws in the ball, why wouldn’t I take that.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you sure he spiked the ball? I have never seen a player spike the ball that close to a ref and not get a T. My wife and I were sitting fairly close, but I didn't actually see the spike happen. All I saw was the ball bounce really high and Sanogo walking away. My wife said that the ref was the one who bounced the ball. That didn't make any sense to me, but later she pointed out the ref bouncing the ball pretty forcefully between free throws. He was catching it on the way up, but perhaps he missed it for some reason in the Sanogo incident.
Was absolutely a spike from Sanogo, no idea how he didn't get T'd up which would have been his 3rd foul with 8 minutes left in the 1st half

8B6D62D9-52C9-4AC4-9EAF-C6FF264A13EF.jpeg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't know where he got it from, but my friend said that Neptune was saying, "He's not a shooter!" to his defense. Andre then purportedly hit the 3, turned around, and said, "And you're not Jay Wright!"

Maybe it's just funny fan fiction that got past along as a factual report. Either way, the idea is hilarious.
I like this take the best. All else will sort itself out.

I thought that Neptune did his best to keep it a game, and he did get the final margin down under 10 for the first time this year.

The shots kept getting harder for Nova, and Newton's late free throws were confidence-building.

Between mounting fouls, lack of timeouts, and a deeper opponent, the Wildcats could've lost by 20 if the game went another 5-10 minutes. It was a game effort by an outmanned team.

1-0 in a stretch of 5 challenges...one game at a time.

Reaction Score
Maybe you shouldn't post anything under those circumstances
Yeah, where's the fun in that?? And me missing a spelling joke pails in comparison to some of the bad takes posted recently.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I want this to be true more than I can say.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Didn’t Hurley tell a fsu player to shut up a few years back at the garden?
though mildly interesting and entertaining, I think this Neptune conflict talk is a lot of nothing.

Reaction Score
The last timeout came after Diarra hit a floater to extend the lead to 8 and they couldn't inbound the ball against our press

That's right. The one after the made hoop was at 11:00.

Reaction Score
If I was a BE coach, I would be "reminding" the refs every single game that Hurley is going to yell and scream and Hawkins/Jackson are going to bark all game

Gets an extra set of eyes on them, I do think we have a bad reputation with officials because of Hurley's antics last year + the whole Bouknight ejection incident
I don’t think they need any reminders about Hurley. Shocked he didn’t get a T last night after the Sanogo “foul” on the 3 point shot. He clearly called the referee “ clown” 2 times to his face.

Reaction Score
Really hope not. We need Nova to be good for this conference to thrive.
People are talking like there were some egregious coaching mistakes made by Neptune last night. Outside of a couple forced shots that weren’t within the flow of the offense I thought they looked like a well coached team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom