B1G/SEC Collab | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G/SEC Collab

Reaction Score
The scheduling agreement makes sense for both conferences. Just look at the ratings of the games that feature SEC vs. B1G games already.

Scheduling agreement

Most interesting among the expected topics is a football scheduling partnership for the regular season as well as a reimagined non-playoff bowl lineup featuring arranged matchups between the leagues. Conference schedule agreements are not unprecedented. The SEC, for example, is part of the annual ACC-SEC basketball challenge.

Such moves are expected to generate additional revenue to the leagues, presumably from television networks seeking matchups of the biggest brands in the sport. The two highest-rated college football games over the first four weeks of the season have been games between the two conferences: Texas-Michigan (9.19 million viewers) and USC-LSU (8.2 million).

Discussions are expected to go beyond the regular season with the possibility of what officials describe as an “overhauled postseason” for those programs not advancing to the CFP. Administrators are exploring ways to arrange more matchups that pair teams from the two leagues as opposed to their current bowl agreement pairings. The bowl agreements expire after the 2025 season.

All of it is an effort to generate untapped revenue at a time when schools are bracing to spend more than $20 million annually in an athlete revenue-sharing concept tied to the House antitrust settlement.

To that end, SEC school executives continue to hold deep discussions about adding a ninth conference game starting in 2026 (the Big Ten already plays nine). The conference is somewhat split on the concept, and a requirement for any ninth league game involves receiving extra revenue from ESPN, the league’s media rights holder.
It's pretty obvious they will break away at some point and all they care about is TV ratings/money. Eventually they will cut the fat within their conferences so they get their marquee matchups all the time instead of having to play Northwestern, Vandy, Minnesota etc.

Reaction Score
It's pretty obvious they will break away at some point and all they care about is TV ratings/money. Eventually they will cut the fat within their conferences so they get their marquee matchups all the time instead of having to play Northwestern, Vandy, Minnesota etc.
I hope it happens. I'm bitter.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I believe you are mistaken. Two of the biggest reasons for P-2 FB dominance are playing on Saturday night in Tuscaloosa (Georgia at Alabama). It probably will break a regular season TV rating record...
I agree. Just look at the nfl. A p2 will work just fine and interest will remain as big as ever.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree. Just look at the nfl. A p2 will work just fine and interest will remain as big as ever.
I don't know if I agree on the interest part. Sure those two conferences are the strongest but at some point soon, people that haven't grown up as fans or alumni of those schools just won't care much because Sundays are for NFL football. Cut out 3/4 of the teams and you lose a large part of your audience that cares. I might be in the minority but I didn't watch a second of that Bama game and I didn't care to either. I'm done with the arrogance and belief that no one else belongs but the select few.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I agree on the interest part. Sure those two conferences are the strongest but at some point soon, people that haven't grown up as fans or alumni of those schools just won't care much because Sundays are for NFL football. Cut out 3/4 of the teams and you lose a large part of your audience that cares. I might be in the minority but I didn't watch a second of that Bama game and I didn't care to either. I'm done with the arrogance and belief that no one else belongs but the select few.
I'm with ya. At the same time though, we are UConn fans, our team has no conference championship to play for and no shot at the CFP. We're just hoping for a bowl game for now. Yet many UConn fans were very interested in watching that Georgia-Alabama game. I think most football fans will be football fans regardless of what they say, and they will watch. We don't know what will happen but my bet is, fans will still watch the P2. Sure, if all non-P2 fans boycott the P2 it would make a difference, but boycotts never work.

Reaction Score
I'm with ya. At the same time though, we are UConn fans, our team has no conference championship to play for and no shot at the CFP. We're just hoping for a bowl game for now. Yet many UConn fans were very interested in watching that Georgia-Alabama game. I think most football fans will be football fans regardless of what they say, and they will watch. We don't know what will happen but my bet is, fans will still watch the P2. Sure, if all non-P2 fans boycott the P2 it would make a difference, but boycotts never work.
This is why the P2 will still throw a bone to the other conferences. They need to keep 100 other FBS fanbases engaged and interested to prop up ratings for their games. 8 autobids for them and 4 for everyone else. The P2 will eventually control march madness and create another rule set that is very favorable to them, but still allows the other 300 D1 basketball teams a shot at making the tournament so that those fanbases keep engaged with college basketball generally. But the BIG 12 might be able to get more autobids for basketball if they are the clear best basketball conference and this would be huge because once the schools control march madness, then the money that the schools get will be far greater with the NCAA cut out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I’m not sure it will work that way. It could, but I think a lot of college fans will just become pro fans rather than pick a new school to root for. I’ve tried to care about schools other than UConn. It’s really hard to do.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I hear ya but I used to watch college football all afternoon long and flip between multiple games regularly. Kinda wish I had multi view back then. Now, I watch UConn and barely even put a game on at night as background noise. Once again, I'm not likely the majority, but I would imagine there are more and more people becoming less engaged in CFB. Cut out a good chunk of your schools and you just lost a huge audience who might start feeling and doing what I do.

Reaction Score
I hear ya but I used to watch college football all afternoon long and flip between multiple games regularly. Kinda wish I had multi view back then. Now, I watch UConn and barely even put a game on at night as background noise. Once again, I'm not likely the majority, but I would imagine there are more and more people becoming less engaged in CFB. Cut out a good chunk of your schools and you just lost a huge audience who might start feeling and doing what I do.
That's exactly how I feel too. I just pretty much watch UConn and could care less about other teams. If UConn was in a conference, I might pay attention to other league teams like I did when UConn was in the Big East. Right now, I could care less about those teams anymore.

Greed will kill this sport, and these greedy bastards will keep pushing the envelope until only people that care are the fans of those schools.

Reaction Score
How much of that has to do with personal time constraints, vs being upset at what cfb has become. I just don't have the time to watch Cfb all day like i did in my teens and 20s.

Reaction Score
That's exactly how I feel too. I just pretty much watch UConn and could care less about other teams. If UConn was in a conference, I might pay attention to other league teams like I did when UConn was in the Big East. Right now, I could care less about those teams anymore.

Greed will kill this sport, and these greedy bastards will keep pushing the envelope until only people that care are the fans of those schools.
I feel the same way!!! Living in Columbia, SC I used to pull for USCs because why not. Now I could give two poops about it. I won’t watch SEC or Big10 games. They are destroying college sports.

Reaction Score
I fully believe that having a Power 2 will mean that there will be less college football watchers than there are now. People like us and many other fans of left out schools will fade away and focus on the NFL for the 2 months between summer and NCAA basketball.

But, I can't think that the Big Ten and SEC are dumb. I think they've done the calculations and have decided that taking nearly 100% of a smaller pie is better than taking whatever percentage they currently have of a larger pie.

College football won't disappear if there is only a P2. Fans without a tie to a non-P2 will gravitate to the P2 and even pissed off non-P2 fans will probably go back to watching. Just like NFL fans that "boycotted" when players kneeled. Will there be a P1 without Vandy, Northwestern and some others? Maybe, but I'd look more for uneven revenue to be introduced.

The one thing that can stop all of this is government intervention. I'm not a big fan of too much FTC intervention, but its supposed to stop small groups from using size/collusion to hurt a better market and product to benefit themselves. Add in that these are supposedly non-profit entities and it seems more egregious.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is why the P2 will still throw a bone to the other conferences. They need to keep 100 other FBS fanbases engaged and interested to prop up ratings for their games. 8 autobids for them and 4 for everyone else.

I think a lot of Big 10 programs should be on alert about the Big 10/SEC summit. If college sports migrates to a P2, it will quickly migrate to a P1.

I'm still of the opinion that the P-2 will not break away from the NCAA in large part because of the above quoted comment by UCsports.

They will make future moves to ensure that they will receive the bulk of the bids to the CFP and NCAA tournament and will attempt to monopolize premium television spots throughout the respective seasons, but they receive quite a bit of cover from the existence of the NCAA and the illusion that all member schools are part of this.

Additionally, the basketball tournament, especially the earlier rounds draw eyeballs (creating media value) from the idea of David facing off against Goliath and being anywhere from somewhat competitive to a surprise winner. They won't take those matchups away, even if they do stack the deck to ensure many of their schools the opportunity to advance to the second and third weekends.

They can get what they want without leaving the NCAA. It would also make it easier for them to further minimize the other conferences.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
How much of that has to do with personal time constraints, vs being upset at what cfb has become. I just don't have the time to watch Cfb all day like i did in my teens and 20s.
The being unable to watch all day is due to not being in my 20's and kids sports schedules. Yet I don't even watch random games at night. However, even if I was, I can't see myself dedicating the same amount of time now like I used to. I just don't care. It probably also has to do with the fact that UConn has no shot at any postseason of meaning (bowl games have become a joke now). So good question and point, but I think the pre kids me would have the same feeling.

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat with kids and schedules, but that Bama, Georgia game was just insane the other night. Its still a great sport despite their efforts to ruin it. UConn becoming invested in the NIL game has breathed life into the program. They really hit on some of those portal guys with instant impact guys. They keep it up somone will come after their player personel guy.

Reaction Score
Additionally, the basketball tournament, especially the earlier rounds draw eyeballs (creating media value) from the idea of David facing off against Goliath and being anywhere from somewhat competitive to a surprise winner. They won't take those matchups away, even if they do stack the deck to ensure many of their schools the opportunity to advance to the second and third weekends.
They’ll recast David as long suffering Northwestern or the unexpected push for Penn State against Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I fully believe that having a Power 2 will mean that there will be less college football watchers than there are now. People like us and many other fans of left out schools will fade away and focus on the NFL for the 2 months between summer and NCAA basketball.

But, I can't think that the Big Ten and SEC are dumb. I think they've done the calculations and have decided that taking nearly 100% of a smaller pie is better than taking whatever percentage they currently have of a larger pie.

College football won't disappear if there is only a P2. Fans without a tie to a non-P2 will gravitate to the P2 and even pissed off non-P2 fans will probably go back to watching. Just like NFL fans that "boycotted" when players kneeled. Will there be a P1 without Vandy, Northwestern and some others? Maybe, but I'd look more for uneven revenue to be introduced.

The one thing that can stop all of this is government intervention. I'm not a big fan of too much FTC intervention, but its supposed to stop small groups from using size/collusion to hurt a better market and product to benefit themselves. Add in that these are supposedly non-profit entities and it seems more egregious.

I doubt it. The ratings keep going up and up.

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat with kids and schedules, but that Bama, Georgia game was just insane the other night. Its still a great sport despite their efforts to ruin it. UConn becoming invested in the NIL game has breathed life into the program. They really hit on some of those portal guys with instant impact guys. They keep it up somone will come after their player personel guy.

UConn needs to double down on whatever it is doing. Amazing that not playing the victim leads to good things.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to double down on whatever it is doing. Amazing that not playing the victim leads to good things.
Think about it, they hit homeruns on Bell-offense, Sheffield-special teams, and McDonald-defense. Other impact players include Hoeh on the OL, Barton on the DL, Wright in the defensive backfield. There are others as well like Robinson at RB. They crushed there snd suppsedly will have more money to work with. They can do some things.

Reaction Score
Think about it, they hit homeruns on Bell-offense, Sheffield-special teams, and McDonald-defense. Other impact players include Hoeh on the OL, Barton on the DL, Wright in the defensive backfield. There are others as well like Robinson at RB. They crushed there snd suppsedly will have more money to work with. They can do some things.

Pay raise for Brock for sure too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom