B1G Ramblings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G Ramblings

Reaction Score
AAU is based on research dollars. The next AAU member will come from a Tier 1 research university.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wow you’re a genius. You could use the same argument for football in the northeast as well.

Yes, because football is a notable warm weather sport.

Tell me - are you an imbecile?

Reaction Score
Yes, because football is a notable warm weather sport.

Tell me - are you an imbecile?
I can see you’re real smart with your goofy shark icon “Fishy”. I imagine you typing out your witty comebacks while sitting in your parent’s basement.

Reaction Score
And that is a good thing. UConn had a very good team this year winning the Big East. I would have expected higher attendance.

Its freezing In the spring.

They would draw great of games were in may. But April? Give me a break.

Reaction Score
Oh, this is going to be fun.
D3zai-.gif

Reaction Score
Kansas is fine, their profile is as good as UConn's and they have history on their side.

The ones that look weak by this metric are Brandeis, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara, and Oregon. But Brandeis was only recently added. So looks like the AAU is using other metrics.
I don't understand how you can make that assertion. Though its research activity is about the same as UConn's, its USN&WR ranking is about 100 points lower. It's clearly an outlier among the AAU schools, with only a marginally better Missouri in about the same leaky boat. Note that Iowa State, though recently defrocked (probably because it doesn't have a med school), still has better AAU metrics than Kansas -- at least according to this chart.

It would be interesting to know what other metrics AAU considers. Undergrad education at recently added Notre Dame, for example, has an enviable reputation, but it has a puny research portfolio.

Kansas is often mentioned as a possible candidate for a B1G invitation, but I can't imagine that the B1G would opt for another school with questionable academics and relatively low research activity from a sparsely populated prairie state.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't understand how you can make that assertion. Though its research activity is about the same as UConn's, its USN&WR ranking is about 100 points lower. It's clearly an outlier among the AAU schools, with only a marginally better Missouri in about the same leaky boat. Note that Iowa State, though recently defrocked (probably because it doesn't have a med school), still has better AAU metrics than Kansas -- at least according to this chart.

It would be interesting to know what other metrics AAU considers. Undergrad education at recently added Notre Dame, for example, has an enviable reputation, but it has a puny research portfolio.

Kansas is often mentioned as a possible candidate for a B1G invitation, but I can't imagine that the B1G would opt for another school with questionable academics and relatively low research activity from a sparsely populated prairie state.

I don't think the AAU cares about USN&WR ranking, especially for state universities. Kansas is a fine university that is mandated by its state to do admissions in a way that isn't favorable for USN&WR ranking. It is very comparable to UConn on nearly every other metric.

Notre Dame per the chart has research dollars 70% of UConn and superior to Rice, Tulane, and Tufts (which has a medical school). That surprised me but if the chart is accurate, then they are doing very well for research on a per-faculty member basis, which is the reason Brandeis got in.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't think the AAU cares about USN&WR ranking, especially for state universities. Kansas is a fine university that is mandated by its state to do admissions in a way that isn't favorable for USN&WR ranking. It is very comparable to UConn on nearly every other metric.

Notre Dame per the chart has research dollars 70% of UConn and superior to Rice, Tulane, and Tufts (which has a medical school). That surprised me but if the chart is accurate, then they are doing very well for research on a per-faculty member basis, which is the reason Brandeis got in.
AAU cares about competitive grants. The amount of grant money that apply for and are granted determines your ranking. It’s not just the amount of grant money, but how it’s awarded. At least that’s how it was explained to me. There are other factors, but, like you, I doubt that USN&WR is one of them.

Reaction Score
AAU cares about competitive grants. The amount of grant money that apply for and are granted determines your ranking. It’s not just the amount of grant money, but how it’s awarded. At least that’s how it was explained to me. There are other factors, but, like you, I doubt that USN&WR is one of them.
Yes, I don’t believe the USNWR is factored. It’s based on competive grants in proportion to the number of faculty. That is why a school like Brandeis is AAU even though the amount of their research money appears to be low.

Reaction Score
The whole thing is rigged, just like everything else.

Reaction Score
AAU is based on research dollars. The next AAU member will come from a Tier 1 research university.
AAU is based on MEDICAL research dollars. Syracuse (a Tier 1 research university) was AAU but left when the rules changed. SU's research is not medical-centric.

Reaction Score
I always laugh when people say aau is a requirement for anything. That is just lip service. Whatever happened to the contiguous rule for big 10?
It's all lip service. Interesting though how all of a sudden Notre Dame and Miami both joined the AAU in 2023. I always figured if the Big 10 wanted someone, AAU membership would appear straight away. Notre Dame's research seems to be far below the AAU average.

I'll also add, with all of the news surrounding UConn this year, national championship, future hall of fame coach rejecting Kentucky and the Lakers, there can't be any other university doing as much as UConn while still being short-changed. the Big 12's Yormark really could have been a trailblazer but he completely whiffed.

Reaction Score
AAU was never a requirement. I have no idea where that even originated from. Michigan State did not join the AAU until 8 years after it joined the B1G.

Reaction Score
AAU was never a requirement. I have no idea where that even originated from. Michigan State did not join the AAU until 8 years after it joined the B1G.
AAU may not have been a technical requirement, but it was a de facto criteria because of academics and research. It seems the Big 10 only invited AAU members because they fit the CIC mold.

"While academics have always played an integral role in the conference, presidents of the Big Ten member institutions formalized the primacy of academics with the establishment of the Big Ten Academic Alliance (formerly the Committee on Institutional Cooperation) in 1958. The Big Ten Academic Alliance is an academic consortium of all Big Ten universities. Annually, the schools currently constituting the Big Ten Academic Alliance produce over $10 billion in funded research, doubling any other conference."

Reaction Score
I can see you’re real smart with your goofy shark icon “Fishy”. I imagine you typing out your witty comebacks while sitting in your parent’s basement.
Does someone else want to say it or should I?

Reaction Score
B1G teams released their volleyball schedules. Once again, travel is well thought out and minimizing the negative effects on student athletes.

As in other non-football schedules announced so far with 20 conference games, the former PAC schools will play home and home against each other and then either home or away against the 14 other B1G schools.

Here are Washington's 10 away games.......

@ USC (Sunday)
@ UCLA (Wednesday)
@ Oregon (Sunday)

Those are three trips they have always made for conference games.

And the 7 games in the Eastern and Central Time Zones are a total of 4 trips, 3 of the 7 games are played on a Sunday, so they will not miss class for those 3 games and will be back on campus on Sunday evenings. Those 3 games follow Friday games. While times have not been released, I'm assuming the Friday games are at night, where the west coast teams can fly out first thing Friday morning on a charter flight and then get to their destination with plenty of time for warmups and what not, so students only miss 1 day of class (Friday) for those double play weekend games.

@ Iowa (Friday) and @ Wisconsin (Sunday)
@ Michigan (Friday) and @ Michigan State (Sunday)
@ Ohio State (Friday) and @ Penn State (Sunday)

And then since there are an odd number of away games with the 7/7 split, one trip by itself......

@ Minnesota (Thursday)

So if you add that all up, 5 of the 10 away games are on a Sunday and will result in no missed class time. The other 5 games result in missing class 1 day each, for a total of 5 missed class days. You could even be generous here and say they fly out the day before the games to be well rested and that is still only 10 missed class days, including the Wednesday game @ UCLA.

4 trips to the Eastern/Central Time Zone. And remember, in the past, they would have made AT LEAST 1 such trip in the nonconference portion of the schedule every year, whereas now those nonconference games are going to be more regionally scheduled.

Reaction Score
B1G teams released their volleyball schedules. Once again, travel is well thought out and minimizing the negative effects on student athletes.

As in other non-football schedules announced so far with 20 conference games, the former PAC schools will play home and home against each other and then either home or away against the 14 other B1G schools.

Here are Washington's 10 away games.......

@ USC (Sunday)
@ UCLA (Wednesday)
@ Oregon (Sunday)

Those are three trips they have always made for conference games.

And the 7 games in the Eastern and Central Time Zones are a total of 4 trips, 3 of the 7 games are played on a Sunday, so they will not miss class for those 3 games and will be back on campus on Sunday evenings. Those 3 games follow Friday games. While times have not been released, I'm assuming the Friday games are at night, where the west coast teams can fly out first thing Friday morning on a charter flight and then get to their destination with plenty of time for warmups and what not, so students only miss 1 day of class (Friday) for those double play weekend games.

@ Iowa (Friday) and @ Wisconsin (Sunday)
@ Michigan (Friday) and @ Michigan State (Sunday)
@ Ohio State (Friday) and @ Penn State (Sunday)

And then since there are an odd number of away games with the 7/7 split, one trip by itself......

@ Minnesota (Thursday)

So if you add that all up, 5 of the 10 away games are on a Sunday and will result in no missed class time. The other 5 games result in missing class 1 day each, for a total of 5 missed class days. You could even be generous here and say they fly out the day before the games to be well rested and that is still only 10 missed class days, including the Wednesday game @ UCLA.

4 trips to the Eastern/Central Time Zone. And remember, in the past, they would have made AT LEAST 1 such trip in the nonconference portion of the schedule every year, whereas now those nonconference games are going to be more regionally scheduled.

Edit: I looked at the dates wrong. The Friday/Sunday games are actually Thursday/Saturday games. So that does in fact mean 10 missed days of school total.

Reaction Score
AAU is based on MEDICAL research dollars. Syracuse (a Tier 1 research university) was AAU but left when the rules changed. SU's research is not medical-centric.
When going through many candidates who are pretty equal a honorific like AAU membership could get you to the next level regardless of it being an actual requirement., Unless you‘ gone through 200 resumes your probably not aware that details like professional certifications and honors . although not required could get you an interview.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Flush out your headgear, new guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom