B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 3 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Correct. And that is why as a UVA fan I'd like to see UConn in the ACC. UConn wins, especially in basketball. New York City will appreciate that. UVA will have a hard time beating UConn in basketball, but we'll win in other stuff. That would give the ACC Syracuse, UConn, and Notre Dame to offer New York plus our other traditional teams.

Rutgers did win the 1949 NCAA fencing championship. They and the Big Ten Conference can celebrate that with all the New Yorkers.

If Rutgers can take fencing, we'll count polo (the horses kind). That'll lift our national title count up from 18 to 35 or so. And you know some people on Park Avenue probably are polo enthusiasts.

And if the day comes when you can win national titles in ice cream, it's over.

Reaction Score
UCONN alone can't deliver NYC, but they are quickly becoming the tipping point in the battle for NYC between the B1G and ACC. A UCONN, Rutgers and Penn State dynamic sets the framework for the Big Ten. Conversely, UCONN, Syracuse and Notre Dame strengthens the ACC's claim. Without UCONN, I don't see Rutgers getting it done. Without UCONN, I don't see Syracuse getting it done.

Reaction Score
If you make Syracuse in 4 hrs from NYC you are FLYING...try more like 6 hrs..it's a minimum of 8 to Buffalo

Err, I make this trip all the time doing between 70-75 mph. 245 miles.
Buffalo to New York City is 400 miles. It takes me 7 hours with a stop or two going just under 75 mph. Could probably do it in 6 hours with no stops doing 75 mph.

Reaction Score
When you think about it, Georgetown and Syracuse are the same driving distance from Manhattan. . .

Reaction Score
UCONN alone can't deliver NYC, but they are quickly becoming the tipping point in the battle for NYC between the B1G and ACC. A UCONN, Rutgers and Penn State dynamic sets the framework for the Big Ten. Conversely, UCONN, Syracuse and Notre Dame strengthens the ACC's claim. Without UCONN, I don't see Rutgers getting it done. Without UCONN, I don't see Syracuse getting it done.

I agree with this. And UConn and Boston College would solidify New England for the ACC too.

Reaction Score
When you think about it, Georgetown and Syracuse are the same driving distance from Manhattan. . .

Thus making Villanova New York's team.

U. Buffalo's AD seems to think the state should get behind it. The school spent a decade or more rebranding itself as University at Buffalo instead of SUNY Buffalo, then the Duke AD's kid comes in and decides to call it the University of New York. ADs are apparently not the marketing geniuses many believe them to be.

Reaction Score
Err, I make this trip all the time doing between 70-75 mph. 245 miles.
Buffalo to New York City is 400 miles. It takes me 7 hours with a stop or two going just under 75 mph. Could probably do it in 6 hours with no stops doing 75 mph.
You won't catch me going over 70 on a NYS highway or thruway (especially upstate) anymore...NY State Troopers are a ticket happy bunch!

Reaction Score
I can tell you from living in Westchester and working in Manhattan UCONN and Rutgers are much more popular than Syracuse in NYC.

Reaction Score
Thus making Villanova New York's team.

U. Buffalo's AD seems to think the state should get behind it. The school spent a decade or more rebranding itself as University at Buffalo instead of SUNY Buffalo, then the Duke AD's kid comes in and decides to call it the University of New York. ADs are apparently not the marketing geniuses many believe them to be.

You missed a thread on Buffalo re: Big Ten admission. Whether that ever happens is improbable. However, I will say this, they are really aggressive in their rebranding efforts to position SUNY Buffalo as simply "The State University of New York." I didn't realize it was the AD that was behind the initiative.

Reaction Score
If Rutgers can take fencing, we'll count polo (the horses kind). That'll lift our national title count up from 18 to 35 or so. And you know some people on Park Avenue probably are polo enthusiasts.

And if the day comes when you can win national titles in ice cream, it's over.

We'll take you on. Sign us up! http://www.vapolo.org/

The NCAA needs to get with it! LOL!

Reaction Score
We'll take you on. Sign us up! http://www.vapolo.org/

The NCAA needs to get with it! LOL!

Many moons ago I attended Foxfield at UVA, which is really tailgating with horses, instead of football. My girlfriend at the time required that I purchase a pink oxford. . .I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
You won't catch me going over 70 on a NYS highway or thruway (especially upstate) anymore...NY State Troopers are a ticket happy bunch!

They are, but they never ticket unless you're going 10+ mph. I put it in cruise control, and they've driven right past me as I did 73 mph countless times.

Reaction Score
You missed a thread on Buffalo re: Big Ten admission. Whether that ever happens is improbable. However, I will say this, they are really aggressive in their rebranding efforts to position SUNY Buffalo as simply "The State University of New York." I didn't realize it was the AD that was behind the initiative.

They aren't rebranding. The 4 SUNY centers are intent on becoming economic engines for their regions. The person heading Cuomo's "Billion" private enterprise investment pact is none other than the President of UB. The school wants to be synonymous with Buffalo, not New York. This tells you quite a lot about AD and academic relations nationwide.

If UB were smart, it would start a D1 Ice Hockey program ASAP. They could do it at a fraction of the cost, grab a huge amount of local and Ontario talent, and be a top program right away. But the AD is from down South. UB is also missing a historic opportunity right now because the billionaire owner of the Sabres is building a hotel/restaurant/entertainment complex next to the Arena with 4 ice rinks in it, 2 public rinks, 1 Sabres practice rink, and a 3,500 seat arena with an eye toward landing World Juniors and USA tournaments. Given the fact that his own investments in the region are tightly in lockstep with the state's investments, and the rather incestuous relationship between pols, billionaires, developers and the state university, UB could easily squat on that 3,500 arena if it had a team. It would be one of the most well supported teams in the country. Instead, Canisius is going to grab it.

Reaction Score
They aren't rebranding. The 4 SUNY centers are intent on becoming economic engines for their regions. The person heading Cuomo's "Billion" private enterprise investment pact is none other than the President of UB. The school wants to be synonymous with Buffalo, not New York. This tells you quite a lot about AD and academic relations nationwide.

If UB were smart, it would start a D1 Ice Hockey program ASAP. They could do it at a fraction of the cost, grab a huge amount of local and Ontario talent, and be a top program right away. But the AD is from down South. UB is also missing a historic opportunity right now because the billionaire owner of the Sabres is building a hotel/restaurant/entertainment complex next to the Arena with 4 ice rinks in it, 2 public rinks, 1 Sabres practice rink, and a 3,500 seat arena with an eye toward landing World Juniors and USA tournaments. Given the fact that his own investments in the region are tightly in lockstep with the state's investments, and the rather incestuous relationship between pols, billionaires, developers and the state university, UB could easily squat on that 3,500 arena if it had a team. It would be one of the most well supported teams in the country. Instead, Canisius is going to grab it.

They appear to be rebranding, and are the only SUNY school laying claim to "New York" in a demonstrative and overt manner.

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/buffalo-state-university-of-new-york-football-uniforms-2013/
http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/buffalo-unveils-new-basketball-court-design/

I thought Buffalo had a D1 team.

http://ubicehockey.com/

Reaction Score
They appear to be rebranding, and are the only SUNY school laying claim to "New York" in a demonstrative and overt manner.

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/buffalo-state-university-of-new-york-football-uniforms-2013/
http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/buffalo-unveils-new-basketball-court-design/

I thought Buffalo had a D1 team.

http://ubicehockey.com/

They most definitely are not rebranding. They have made a huge effort over a decade to drop the State University of New York and emphasize Buffalo.

The hockey team is a club team, not NCAA.

Reaction Score
They most definitely are not rebranding. They have made a huge effort over a decade to drop the State University of New York and emphasize Buffalo. That bball court was a surprise to many.

The hockey team is a club team, not NCAA.

I don't disagree that they were trying to move away from "SUNY Buffalo" with University at Buffalo (Stoneybrook too). But, it looks like they are going in a different direction in the coming year. You're right about hockey, although I think D1 is in the works. It is surprising that they aren't grabbing low hanging fruit. But look at UCONN, there's no reason (providing there are resources) not to be competing in Men's Lacrosse.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Clearly, PSU+Rutgers+Md > PSU only in Philly. Mich+OSU+PSU+Rutgers > Mich+OSU+PSU in NYC.

But, what Rutgers football brings to the NYC DMA, UConn basketball brings -- just as big an audience and just as many months of the year. Rutgers carries NJ, UConn creates B1G interest in most of NE.

I don't see why we would downgrade what Rutgers brings. It brings a lot to the B1G. UConn brings something similar, just a little farther up the eastern seaboard. If Rutgers fails the B1G, then UConn probably would too. But I don't think Rutgers will fail.

I've lived in the metropolitan area all my life and have worked in NYC for years. UCONN basketball, though a national brand, I feel comes third to the B1G alums and the casual fan of the schools in the Carolinas in NYC. Some of the young people that I come in contact with are pro ACC with the Dukes and the North Carolina's of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I've lived in the metropolitan area all my life and have worked in NYC for years. UCONN basketball, though a national brand, I feel comes third to the B1G alums and the casual fan of the schools in the Carolinas in NYC. Some of the young people that I come in contact with are pro ACC with the Dukes and the North Carolina's of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNC is definitely big in urban culture. I have found that to be true in Boston, NY and Miami.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that they were trying to move away from "SUNY Buffalo" with University at Buffalo (Stoneybrook too). But, it looks like they are going in a different direction in the coming year. You're right about hockey, although I think D1 is in the works. It is surprising that they aren't grabbing low hanging fruit. But look at UCONN, there's no reason (providing there are resources) not to be competing in Men's Lacrosse.

The school will not rebrand, not in the middle of a $1 billion upgrade that's all about its connection to Buffalo. This is a harebrained idea by people in charge of repainting hardwood. They also are not going to upgrade hockey, which is a crazy thing, because Buffalo loves hockey, and there is amazing hockey talent located both within Buffalo and over the river in Ontario.

Reaction Score
Many moons ago I attended Foxfield at UVA, which is really tailgating with horses, instead of football. My girlfriend at the time required that I purchase a pink oxford. . .I'll leave it at that.

I've been many times, and I know it's a steeple chase, but most of the times I never saw a horse. I was too busy partying. Good stuff!

Virginia is big time horse country. There are steeple chase events all over the state in the spring and fall. The Commonwealth Cup Polo Match between the Virgnia Commonwealth Polo Association and the British Forces Polo Foundation is held every September. The Farm and Stables where Secretariat was born and raised is now the site of the State Fairgrounds.

I think that the NCAA now has an equestrian sport for women. I would not be surprised if UVA along with 3 other ACC schools added it at some point especially with Louisville joining.

Reaction Score
I can tell you from living in Westchester and working in Manhattan UCONN and Rutgers are much more popular than Syracuse in NYC.
i can tell you from growing up in Brooklyn, living in Long Island, and working in Manhattan, that Syracuse is much more popular then UConn and Rutgers in NYC.
c'mon - send that ridiculous New York Post link to that laughable "fan" study...i'm just waiting for it.

Uconn's best hope, and best chance for longer term success and winning, is still the ACC - one way or another. The ACC powers don't give a rat's rear what BC wants. Ask Missouri how it feels to be teased and teased by the B1G.

PS - enough with all the references to "Ped" State. It's such a nasty thing that happened there, creeps me out even typing about it. No need to keep bringing it up on a sports msg board.

Reaction Score
i can tell you from growing up in Brooklyn, living in Long Island, and working in Manhattan, that Syracuse is much more popular then UConn and Rutgers in NYC.

Mike Tranghese and a lot of other people disagree with you. Tranghese is on record on this issue.

And then there's this: http://syracusefan.com/threads/looks-like-the-prov-game-will-be-tape-delayed.40752/

A Syracuse men's game against Providence is less popular in NYC than a UConn women's bball game. You got bumped.

Reaction Score
As I pointed out in another thread, St John's had to invent various protections in their ticket policies to prevent MSG from turning into Gampel South. Jarvis was tired of playing road games at home.

Reaction Score
c'mon - send that ridiculous New York Post link to that laughable "fan" study...i'm just waiting for it.

If we are talking pre-1990's I would agree with you regarding Syracuse's popularity. For decades NY State didn't have any big time athletics outside of Syracuse (St. Johns and some hockey programs made some noise). Additionally, Syracuse's specialization in advertising and public relations drove a lot of graduates to the city. But many things have changed since the 1980's. UCONN has not only caught up to Syracuse in popularity, in part by winning numerous championships, but is positioned to put distance between itself and Syracuse in the coming years. Outside of Connecticut, NYC is the #1 location for UCONN grads and as the university expands its enrollment, you'll see a greater number of graduates relocating to NYC. If you choose to look at NYC in terms of its DMA, then Syracuse falls further behind both UCONN and Rutgers. Hey, I think Syracuse still has a fan following in NYC, especially for basketball, but the times are a changing. Consider, more recently, Syracuse's poor turnout at the NYC-based Pinstripe Bowl.

This is coming from someone who owned a business in Manhattan, lived in Brooklyn, Jersey City (Newport Center), Long Island and Westchester County. . .and even once considered going to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom