B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@I warned you Stimpycuse about boasting before RU got the B1G invite and Im sure you were gloating about SU's good fortune then at RU and UConn's expense on all the Cuse boards!?!?Come out of hiding cuse fan!!

No I'm not a Syracuse fan. I'm a UVA fan responding to a suggestion that UVA has any interest or is a possibility for the Big Ten Conference. I know first hand that UVA has zero interest in the Big Ten Conference. The people who had been suggesting that on CR sites all over the internet for months are totally wrong.

I also do think Connecticut is a good fit for the ACC. I also know that a lot of UConn fans are frustrated with the ACC. Connecticut has earned the right to be in a Power 5 conference on the courts particularly, but also on the fields. I'd like it to be ACC, but understand it might be Big Ten or Big XII someday.

Rutgers was invited to the Big Ten Conference for its location and not for any athletic accomplishments of note that would spark any interest to a casual New York City sports fan. That was my point. The Big Ten views Rutgers as a bunch of cable boxes. I'll leave it to the Big Ten Fans of Big Ten schools to comment in 5 years about what they think of Rutgers. As for New York, I'll let Mike Fancessa, who is from New York, tell you what New Yorkers think if you don't believe me. This from 2 years ago, but still right on track other than the Big Ten has gambled on Rutgers. Although Rutgers and Maryland will have to wait 7 years to get a full share of the Big Ten television money.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/mike-francesa-rutgers-hangs-up/

Reaction Score
That's PSU's bread & butter though. Bucks County, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg, Allentown, Reading. That's where it all happens for PSU.

here's a recent PSU article stating the situation with BTN - sounds like there's 3 holdouts:

http://www.gopsusports.com/genrel/071013aaa.html

"BTN is available to more than 80 million homes through agreements with more than 300 cable, satellite and telco providers in all 50 states and Canada. Adams and Blue Ridge Cable in Pennsylvania, though, do not carry the Big Ten Network. The network also is not available to Armstrong Cable customers in western Pennsylvania and the Medina and Youngstown, Ohio areas. A combined total of more than 35,000 Penn State alumni live in communities served by the three cable providers, in addition to thousands more fans and current Penn State students."

Reaction Score
Are you sure about the 1/3 number? You might be confusing it with SNY's carriage fees - I remember you drawing a comparison between the two a few months back.

Penn is part of the original 8 core states and gets about $.70 throughout the state, including Philly, which is the same as the $.70-.80 average that is the part of the Comcast contract throughout the rest of the BTN states. BTN's deals with DISH and TWC is a bit over $1 but reaches less people so the overall average is something like $.95.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...Network-Complete-Long-Term-Carriage-Deal.aspx

The following link is for an article 4 years newer than the one you posted above. It indicates that BTN core markets generate $.80 per sub and non core markets getting $.15 per sub. Although, I read two days ago that BTN collects as little a $.o5 and $.10 for some non core markets. I've also read that the "published rate" is between $1.05 and $1.10 but typically nets down to roughly $.80. What's not clear is the delineation of core markets, and don't believe that core markets automatically encompass an entire state. Perhaps Eastern PA falls into a some level of hybrid market that generates the $.30 that Upstater is quoting. In any event, the main focus of the article is that the B1G is trying to leverage Rutgers and MD programming, which could result in fewer live games being available in their respective markets.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/12/10/Media/BigTenNet.aspx

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure this Stimpy poster is an SU fan I used to argue with about gloating about how RU,UConn and others should wilt and become irrevelant in CUSA2 before their was an American Conference on a couple of SU boards and I haven't seen him in over a year!He (if hes the same)used the handle StimpyCuse then!!He was the only one on Orangefizz who had NO SYMPATHY but loads of arrogance at our misfortune and Cuse board or not I took him to task!! I also warned him it could just as easily been Cuse but when RU and UConn are threatening to pass the old power into the B1G they don't know what to say!All's he was concerned with was hoping our recruiting would suffer!!Its alway's the scared,weak or over the hill team's that look for the easy way back to relevance(which SU/BC isn't)!SU in FB can't recruit or play on a level field with RU in a decade and lost 6 of there last 8 against "weak" RU! So what's that make Cuse? NY's college team?lol!Sorry guys but these fake troll's agitate me! Wheres the sincerity?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We are all waiting to see what Notre Dame is going to do longer term. For the next dozen years, Notre Dame football will be playing in the ACC. Right now it is 5 games per year. Maybe this Division 4 move will have an impact on them, and they will increase to 8 games and be eligible to play for the ACC Championship. Then the ACC will need another member.
I'll give you a hint on what ND will do. It will use the ACC and it's bowl tie ins to better itself and make more money while pretending to be helping the ACC. Then, when they suck you dry they'll move on to another conference and pretend to "save" them like they did the ACC. If you wanna see what they will do just look at their history in the Big East. They are one school I'm glad we never have to deal with again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
UVa already had a verbal agreement with the B1G(conditionally)when they signed the GOR's whilst they were deciding on a partner"FSU or UNC" and OSU called in a lot of chips to get FSU a unanimous pass(vote) when they signed the GOR OSU was pissed!Now FSU is hated by OSU who backed FSU to the hilt in CR to the B1G!!They took to long to act(B1G)!

Reaction Score
Eastern PA? Strong academics????
images

Reaction Score
UVa already had a verbal agreement with the B1G(conditionally)when they signed the GOR's whilst they were deciding on a partner"FSU or UNC" and OSU called in a lot of chips to get FSU a unanimous pass(vote) when they signed the GOR OSU was pissed!Now FSU is hated by OSU who backed FSU to the hilt in CR to the B1G!!They took to long to act(B1G)!

Here it is again. The UVA part of this is simply NOT true. The Big Ten approached UVA, but UVA was not interested. There were no verbal agreements and no paperwork. The UConn folks don't care about this anyway, so I'm not talking about it anymore. UVA is in the ACC to stay. The Big Ten can go get Iowa State, who would fit perfectly.

Reaction Score

Pretty sure everything you wrote comes from The Dude rather than reality.

Reaction Score
No I'm not a Syracuse fan. I'm a UVA fan responding to a suggestion that UVA has any interest or is a possibility for the Big Ten Conference. I know first hand that UVA has zero interest in the Big Ten Conference. The people who had been suggesting that on CR sites all over the internet for months are totally wrong.

I also do think Connecticut is a good fit for the ACC. I also know that a lot of UConn fans are frustrated with the ACC. Connecticut has earned the right to be in a Power 5 conference on the courts particularly, but also on the fields. I'd like it to be ACC, but understand it might be Big Ten or Big XII someday.

Rutgers was invited to the Big Ten Conference for its location and not for any athletic accomplishments of note that would spark any interest to a casual New York City sports fan. That was my point. The Big Ten views Rutgers as a bunch of cable boxes. I'll leave it to the Big Ten Fans of Big Ten schools to comment in 5 years about what they think of Rutgers. As for New York, I'll let Mike Fancessa, who is from New York, tell you what New Yorkers think if you don't believe me. This from 2 years ago, but still right on track other than the Big Ten has gambled on Rutgers. Although Rutgers and Maryland will have to wait 7 years to get a full share of the Big Ten television money.

W/O NY/NJ transplants UVa would be even worse in FB than they already are!!I wouldn't brag if I was Va lol!MF knows nothing about college sports fool!But he can talk Yankees or Knick's (or St Johns)!

Reaction Score

So,what do you suggest?Staying in the AAC?

Reaction Score
I'll give you a hint on what ND will do. It will use the ACC and it's bowl tie ins to better itself and make more money while pretending to be helping the ACC. Then, when they suck you dry they'll move on to another conference and pretend to "save" them like they did the ACC. If you wanna see what they will do just look at their history in the Big East. They are one school I'm glad we never have to deal with again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see that happening this time. And the move to Division 4 may force Notre Dame to win a conference championship to participate in the Football playoffs. I don't think Notre Dame sucked the Big East dry either. The Big East's problem was that the basketball schools blocked a lot of what was necessary to keep the football side strong. You could be right if you suggest that Notre Dame colluded in a lot of that with the basketball schools. I don't know about that. Having competing factions like the Big East did was not healthy. At least all the members of the AAC are on the same page. Now they have to build a conference brand.

Reaction Score
Francesa is under the impression ND is still at their 60's/70's level of FB power and everyone from NY (Me) knows he knows nothing about CFB except what he remembers(if hes awake) from the 80's!!

Reaction Score
So,what do you suggest?Staying in the AAC?

I suggest that it is likely that the Power Conferences all go to 16 members because the schedule with 14 stinks. I believe Connecticut will get a Power 5 spot somewhere when that happens. As for Rutgers, they will try their luck in the Big Ten. But, New York City won't be paying attention.

Reaction Score
I suggest that it is likely that the Power Conferences all go to 16 members because the schedule with 14 stinks. I believe Connecticut will get a Power 5 spot somewhere when that happens. As for Rutgers, they will try their luck in the Big Ten. But, New York City won't be paying attention.
Its obvious your not from NYC or NNJ/LI but ratings disagree with you!When SU played WVa on ESPN in primetime and RU played ? on espnu at the same time RU tripled them? SU NY's Team?Thats the last I'll comment on this here since your and outsider and out of respect for the board!Good luck with your season as Va looks to be improving in FB!

Reaction Score
Agree with all but the last statement and when UConn is in the B1G the NE will be on a B1G Lockdown!!

Reaction Score
Rutgers has played PSU in the recent past, numerous times. On a 1 to 10 scale, that game does a 1.

Ohio St, Penn State and Michigan couldn't put the BTN over the top in NYC, they had to add Rutgers.

PSU can't cut it in Eastern Pa., but Rutgers will be a godsend in NYC.

Rutgers hasn't played Penn State since 1995. That's not recent history. That's 18 years ago. 18 freakin years ago.

That was the game that Pedophile enabler Joe Paterno didn't even bat an eye when his QB McQueary threw a bomb against Rutgers, with State Ped up 18 points and only a minute left in the game. You remember that ultimate move by an ultimate pair of douches (Paterno and McQueary) don't you? I know you love Ped State.

RU was horrible in the 90's. I admit that.

But here's a clue for you buddy. RU has gotten a lot better since then...and their 4 out of 5 top ESPN ratings in the NYC market...and 5 out of 5 top ESPN2 ratings have all come in the last 7 years.... not 18 years ago when we last played Pedophile State.

No one watched RU back then. It's a whole different ballgame now. I suspect you know that...it bothers the hell out of you...and you refuse to admit it.

Reaction Score
Rutgers hasn't played Penn State since 1995. That's not recent history. That's 18 years ago. 18 freakin years ago.

That was the game that Pedophile enabler Joe Paterno didn't even bat an eye when his QB McQueary threw a bomb against Rutgers, with State Ped up 18 points and only a minute left in the game. You remember that ultimate move by an ultimate pair of douches (Paterno and McQueary) don't you? I know you love Ped State.

RU was horrible in the 90's. I admit that.

But here's a clue for you buddy. RU has gotten a lot better since then...and their 4 out of 5 top ESPN ratings in the NYC market...and 5 out of 5 top ESPN2 ratings have all come in the last 7 years.... not 18 years ago when we last played Pedophile State.

No one watched RU back then. It's a whole different ballgame now. I suspect you know that...it bothers the hell out of you...and you refuse to admit it.

No one is excited by a Penn State - Rutgers game. You're delusional.

pj

Reaction Score
Its obvious your not from NYC or NNJ/LI but ratings disagree with you!When SU played WVa on ESPN in primetime and RU played ? on espnu at the same time RU tripled them? SU NY's Team?Thats the last I'll comment on this here since your and outsider and out of respect for the board!Good luck with your season as Va looks to be improving in FB!

RU has gotten a lot better since then...and their 4 out of 5 top ESPN ratings in the NYC market...and 5 out of 5 top ESPN2 ratings have all come in the last 7 years.

Nicky (and buggsy), you do know northern New Jersey is a large fraction of the NYC DMA, and that Syracuse is a 3 hour drive from the NYC DMA?

I like the Rutgers enthusiasm but I wonder what the Manhattan TV ratings look like.

Reaction Score
All this talk about owning NYC is laughable. NYC fans care only about winners and very little about college football. For Rutgers to make meaningful inroads into NYC they need to win and that is something Rutgers' athletics hardly ever does. The BiG doesn't make winning more likely for Rutgers and if anything it just makes it a bit harder.

Reaction Score
Nicky (and buggsy), you do know northern New Jersey is a large fraction of the NYC DMA, and that Syracuse is a 3 hour drive from the NYC DMA?

I like the Rutgers enthusiasm but I wonder what the Manhattan TV ratings look like.

Cuse is more than 3 hours, more like 4. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference.

Reaction Score
All this talk about owning NYC is laughable. NYC fans care only about winners and very little about college football. For Rutgers to make meaningful inroads into NYC they need to win and that is something Rutgers' athletics hardly ever does. The BiG doesn't make winning more likely for Rutgers and if anything it just makes it a bit harder.

Correct. And that is why as a UVA fan I'd like to see UConn in the ACC. UConn wins, especially in basketball. New York City will appreciate that. UVA will have a hard time beating UConn in basketball, but we'll win in other stuff. That would give the ACC Syracuse, UConn, and Notre Dame to offer New York plus our other traditional teams.

Rutgers did win the 1949 NCAA fencing championship. They and the Big Ten Conference can celebrate that with all the New Yorkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom