B12 and ACC on the clock! | Page 21 | The Boneyard

B12 and ACC on the clock!

Reaction Score
Oh, I know the story. I was just using the catchphrase to point put how truly great we all are. :cool:
Ok, wasn’t sure based on the reading. Context can be lost on these threads/forums sometimes. :p. Cheers to us Husky fans!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
FpwfIzwWcAES2M_.jpg:large
These shirts should be destroyed and the "brains" behind the design neutered.

Reaction Score
If the ACC goes to a model that rewards extra money to the top performers, the top schools might want to expand because it would provide them a little more of that extra money. I could see the ACC adding two schools with that in mind.

This assumes ESPN was on board and increased total TV revenue proportionally for the two new schools.

UCONN and SMU would make the most sense for ACC expansion.
Maybe UConn and Tulane for ACC?

Reaction Score
Those writing offvthe ACC or Indicating that certain schools will be dropped I believe are mistaken .
The most important recent lessen is the Big 12 . Many including people on this board had them DOA after the Texas/Oklahoma departures . The overly ambitious AAC thought they could take advantage of that momentary weakness . Instead The Big 12 cherry picked the undervalued AAC plus an Indy and have achieved some stability. They actually expanded to survive .,
The ACC if raided at all they will lose 2-4 teams max which leaves a viable base . Being an eastern conference the pool of viable football schools is very limited so dropping anyone is suicidal.
The menu of teams with name recognition and a market are very thin :
UConn
USF
Tulane
Temple
SMU ( Dallas in the Centrall Time Zone.as is Tulane .
Plus the Service Academies are pretty much it .

Making a preemptive move to add 2-4 teams with decent markets potential helps with losing teams in the future . Make a move sooner is better because it prevents other conferences from expanding into your potential markets.
The other option is go to the West Coast for an East West Football only Alliance..
The new ACC might even accept football only members so UConn might be football only and have a working BB agreement but still be in the Big East .,Survival to anyone not in the Super two will require vision .
The Big 12 still exists because it acted , the Big East died because it only reacted , The clock is ticking on the PAC and the ACC .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These shirts should be destroyed and the "brains" behind the design neutered.
I know, right? Raising money to give tickets to underprivileged kids is so undeserving of the ability to reproduce.

Reaction Score
Those writing offvthe ACC or Indicating that certain schools will be dropped I believe are mistaken .
The most important recent lessen is the Big 12 . Many including people on this board had them DOA after the Texas/Oklahoma departures . The overly ambitious AAC thought they could take advantage of that momentary weakness . Instead The Big 12 cherry picked the undervalued AAC plus an Indy and have achieved some stability. They actually expanded to survive .,
The ACC if raided at all they will lose 2-4 teams max which leaves a viable base . Being an eastern conference the pool of viable football schools is very limited so dropping anyone is suicidal.
The menu of teams with name recognition and a market are very thin :
UConn
USF
Tulane
Temple
SMU ( Dallas in the Centrall Time Zone.as is Tulane .
Plus the Service Academies are pretty much it .

Making a preemptive move to add 2-4 teams with decent markets potential helps with losing teams in the future . Make a move sooner is better because it prevents other conferences from expanding into your potential markets.
The other option is go to the West Coast for an East West Football only Alliance..
The new ACC might even accept football only members so UConn might be football only and have a working BB agreement but still be in the Big East .,Survival to anyone not in the Super two will require vision .
The Big 12 still exists because it acted , the Big East died because it only reacted , The clock is ticking on the PAC and the ACC .
Memphis ?

Totally agree that ACC should be active with UConn. But I think the conference leadership is a clown show. And ESPN knows that

Reaction Score
It can be confirmed that the other interested conf is not the AAC nor the PAC…so by powers of deduction it would be one that seeks to be the only dominant coast to coast conference and not allow others (Big12) to get a coast to coast foothold. Slim chance because the B1G is slow , not as existentially motivated, and just window shopping.

Reaction Score
It can be confirmed that the other interested conf is not the AAC nor it is the PAC or SEC, so by powers of deduction it would be one that seeks to be the only dominant coast to coast conference and not allow others (Big12) to get a coast to coast foothold. Slim chance because the B1G is slow , not as existentially motivated, and just window shopping

Reaction Score
It can be confirmed that the other interested conf is not the AAC nor it is the PAC or SEC, so by powers of deduction it would be one that seeks to be the only dominant coast to coast conference and not allow others (Big12) to get a coast to coast foothold. Slim chance because the B1G is slow , not as existentially motivated, and just window shopping

Reaction Score
It can be confirmed that the other interested conf is not the AAC nor the PAC…so by powers of deduction it would be one that seeks to be the only dominant coast to coast conference and not allow others (Big12) to get a coast to coast foothold. Slim chance because the B1G is slow , not as existentially motivated, and just window shopping.
I agree that it is probably window shopping. But they must realize that they do not have the NYC market locked down despite the fact that the Rutgers campus is so close to NYC. Rutgers does not have much of a profile while UConn has a pretty big one by comparison. So would it be wise to let the B12 walz in and grab half? Thus it may be a bit more serious. Probably more of a way to keep tabs on the B12 and if they make a move, the B1G then has the option to make a countermove if it come to that.

Just win, baby, and things will take care of themselves!! This football season may have a bit more riding on it than initially thought. Geez, HCJM must be having fun. I cannot of course speak for him, but if I were in his field, at his stage of his career, I would be absolutely licking my chops for this kind of challenge!! And every UConn coach in every sport would be immortalized if they pulled off a P5 offer.

Reaction Score
One thing to remember here, it looks like a couple of the new AAU members had some help from existing AAU members to gain membership. If the Big 10 wants UConn as a Big 10 member, maybe we too can get backers among existing AAU members who also are in the Big 10. That way, like Notre Dame, USF or Arizona State, we can leapfrog over some of the leading contenders for AAU membership. If UConn gets the AAU membership, that is one less hurdle to get into the Big 10. Then, all we have to worry about is winning football games.

Reaction Score
One thing to remember here, it looks like a couple of the new AAU members had some help from existing AAU members to gain membership. If the Big 10 wants UConn as a Big 10 member, maybe we too can get backers among existing AAU members who also are in the Big 10. That way, like Notre Dame, USF or Arizona State, we can leapfrog over some of the leading contenders for AAU membership. If UConn gets the AAU membership, that is one less hurdle to get into the Big 10. Then, all we have to worry about is winning football games.
The problem with UConn and the AAU is simply UConn's accounting practices which make it uncompetitive when bidding on research contracts. Very high overhead and bid margin practices. At least that is what is out there. Like competing against institutions not paying prevailing wages when you are required by law to do that. There is all sorts of stuff like that in state government. For instance, why is UConn health run by the nursing school rather than the med school? This undervalues research and publication record in the faculty.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The problem with UConn and the AAU is simply UConn's accounting practices which make it uncompetitive when bidding on research contracts. Very high overhead and bid margin practices. At least that is what is out there. Like competing against institutions not paying prevailing wages when you are required by law to do that. There is all sorts of stuff like that in state government. For instance, why is UConn health run by the nursing school rather than the med school? This undervalues research and publication record in the faculty.
Its definitely a problem, but not THE problem.

THE problem, as the AAU just laid bare, is we are chasing metrics and not politics. ND, a school with limited research, no medical school and a curriculum informed by mythogy, got in.

We need to keep seeing research dollars, but we need to starting playing the real game.

Reaction Score

THE problem, as the AAU just laid bare, is we are chasing metrics and not politics. ND, a school with limited research, no medical school and a curriculum informed by mythogy, got in.

We need to keep seeing research dollars, but we need to starting playing the real game.
So I prefer to look at numbers. Are you saying that ND's externally funded research totals are less than UConn's? Do we know the comparable numbers? The last time I checked, UConn was 60 percent of what was needed to meet the threshold. Where was ND when they just got in?

Reaction Score

Well, I just checked ND's web site. They are boasting of $244 million in external research of which 44% is federal which is what AAU counts. Two years ago UConn was at $375 million of which I could not locate the federal portion and that includes the Med School portion which I am not sure is counted or not. I could not find numbers from 21/22 and 22/23 will not be available for several months. But of course there are other factors such as PhD's awarded, external awards to faculty, etc, etc.

But there is also the other requirement that you mention. The AAU has to issue the invitation that is approved by 75% of the membership. So from that angle this looks more like ND going to the B1G than anything else as the B1G presumably has considerable sway in the AAU (or one could easily imagine).

Reaction Score
Well, I just checked ND's web site. They are boasting of $244 million in external research of which 44% is federal which is what AAU counts. Two years ago UConn was at $375 million of which I could not locate the federal portion and that includes the Med School portion which I am not sure is counted or not. I could not find numbers from 21/22 and 22/23 will not be available for several months. But of course there are other factors such as PhD's awarded, external awards to faculty, etc, etc.

But there is also the other requirement that you mention. The AAU has to issue the invitation that is approved by 75% of the membership. So from that angle this looks more like ND going to the B1G than anything else as the B1G presumably has considerable sway in the AAU (or one could easily imagine).
If their sway is that considerable then why were they not able to keep one of their current members from being dropped?

Reaction Score
If their sway is that considerable then why were they not able to keep one of their current members from being dropped?
The drop Nebraska from AAU was spearheaded by B1G members .
so it’s an anomaly.plus the B1G wasn!t throwing them out and the Huskhers weren’t going anywhere .
But ND is a different situation all together .
The movers and shakers have been wooing ND for years .
Sponsoring them for a Status they covet and by metrics are marginal could be a quid pro quo to help their decision to join . If they join the B1G then to deny that was a factor is a little naive .

Reaction Score
so it’s an anomaly.plus the B1G wasn!t throwing them out and the Huskhers weren’t going anywhere .
Sponsoring them for a Status they covet and by metrics are marginal could be a quid pro quo to help their decision to join . If they join the B1G then to deny that was a factor is a little naive .
Would they be joining the BIG in football only? ND's other sports are covered under the ACC's gor until 2036. As of yet no one has found a way out of that. I'm not going to look it up but I think the football team is even contractually obligated to stay independent or join the ACC. Anything is possible though. It's really kind of the BIG to help them out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because a you status is only an admission requirements at an ongoing membership requirement?

Reaction Score
It was an embarrassment for the BIG so that doesn't really make sense.

Reaction Score
Would they be joining the BIG in football only? ND's other sports are covered under the ACC's gor until 2036. As of yet no one has found a way out of that. I'm not going to look it up but I think the football team is even contractually obligated to stay independent or join the ACC. Anything is possible though. It's really kind of the BIG to help them out.
Because ND isn't a full fledged member of the ACC, they don't have the same exit challenges/costs that the full members do. They can easily pay off their exit costs.

Reaction Score
Because ND isn't a full fledged member of the ACC, they don't have the same exit challenges/costs that the full members do. They can easily pay off their exit costs.
As for the exit costs it's all revenue until 2036. Not sure how it shakes out with football but like I said earlier I believe there is a binding agreement on what they can do there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom