Azzi update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Azzi update

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good enough for me -

If Maggie got this from Geno's pre DePaul press conference, that's not really what Geno/Fudd said.

He was saying Fudd's situation was similar to Ducharme's situation. Where it was kind of day to day and they would know they were ready when they knew it, no definite time line. Each day was different. Their bodies were/are responding differently each day/each workout. When things feel right, they'll go. And they won't/didn't know it is/was right until it is/was right.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Don’t forget this young woman. There will be quality depth at guard next year.
I'm not sure how to say this w/o being offensive...
Are we sure we don't have (at least pretty good) depth at guard, this year?

Reaction Score
This is likely to get a lot of thumbs done. First let me say we don't know anything about the situation with Azzi. We don't know if she's having any pain, how she feels after a workout, etc. There has to be a good reason why she is not playing.

But, if I was on a team that was really struggling and our star player said "I'll be ready when I'm ready" that would diminish that person in my eyes. Hopefully that statement was taken out of context or just poorly worded. Also hopefully the other players, who do know something about the situation agree with Azzi and are not miffed that she isn't playing. I have to assume that is the case.
Geno never said she said that. It’s a misquote.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that she was referring to available guard depth.

Reaction Score
Your definition of "competent useful performers" is completely different than "Championship competent, useful performers." How many times have you seen transfers that were "competent, useful performers" flop when they go to other bigger/more successful schools?

A player that is a scorer for example may be pretty good at a school that is elated to just get into the NCAA, and/or maybe win a round. In comparison vs a team with title aspirations projected to lose maximum two games a year, if that. Then this scorer who is not as good as other scorers on the elite team has to be productive in other things such as becoming a better passer or defender or rebounder etc. What if she can't? You are going to play her anyway? So yeah these great kids went on to other schools but it doesn't mean that they would then have been a success/competent at UCONN vs their other teammates. At a school that doesn't win nearly as much that player can have several games in which she goes 5-14 vs other non-title contending teams. Prior to UCONN's rash of injuries, that has been/is rarely the case at UCONN.
You are missing the point entirely! And, you are now changing the scenario of your story. Now you are questioning if UConn couldn't score eight more points with Fudd than without her? That clearly wasn't your original statement. Regardless, Fudd would replace someone in the lineup. That someone (most likely Griffin) would have at least some scoring production. So if Fudd scored eight points, you would have to subtract the points that would have been scored by the player she replaced.
? The OP said that if Azzi played and provided 8 points per game (extremely likely) we would have won four out of five of our losses. How is that wrong? You say she would be replacing another players points but she Azzi would be coming off the bench ( for a while, at least) so that doesn’t make much sense. According to that reasoning, you could/should never be able to play anyone unless the bench player were better than the starter!
Of course, Azzi could and almost certainly would provide an increase in team points whether she was starting or not! How much? I can’t say for sure but I’m willing to bet it would be at least eight points!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We have fabulous guards, two of whom have been on the bench injured and one who’s a freshman adjusting to college, a new country, and the demands of a top Division I team. I was responding to someone’s comment about next year’s guards. Heaven forbid someone is sick or injured, there will be more guards to play to see who “has it” today. Right now, everyone needs to be excellent all the time - it’s exhausting

Reaction Score
You have to believe that her caution and patience are influenced by her mom's injuries and how that impacted her career. IMO, if she isn't 100%, then she shouldn't risk coming back until she is 100%. Whatever the details are, the injury was obviously of a serious nature.

Athletes who play at this level are rarely 100%

Reaction Score
This is likely to get a lot of thumbs done. First let me say we don't know anything about the situation with Azzi. We don't know if she's having any pain, how she feels after a workout, etc. There has to be a good reason why she is not playing.

But, if I was on a team that was really struggling and our star player said "I'll be ready when I'm ready" that would diminish that person in my eyes. Hopefully that statement was taken out of context or just poorly worded. Also hopefully the other players, who do know something about the situation agree with Azzi and are not miffed that she isn't playing. I have to assume that is the case.
It might be Geno's "tongue-in-cheek" way of saying Azzi will be ready today or the first game of the BET, and she will light up the scoreboard in the first game she plays.

I believe she will play all of the tournament games this year.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
You are missing the point entirely! And, you are now changing the scenario of your story. Now you are questioning if UConn couldn't score eight more points with Fudd than without her? That clearly wasn't your original statement. Regardless, Fudd would replace someone in the lineup. That someone (most likely Griffin) would have at least some scoring production. So if Fudd scored eight points, you would have to subtract the points that would have been scored by the player she replaced.
Gordo, formalhaut isn't changing the message of his original post. On the contrary, it was YOU who inferred incorrectly and drew an erroneous conclusion. Now you are doubling down on your error. Formalhaut never implied that Azzi would be a one-for-one swap with a player for an entire game - which is the only scenario where one would be obliged "to subtract the points...by the player she replaced". You really can't see how Azzi being in the game could have resulted in far fewer turnovers overall leading to (at least) eight additional points from her? Or, alternatively, that her being in the game might have resulted in her shooting and scoring instead of someone else who ended up missing?

Both formalhaut's original post and second post spoke to Azzi bringing eight more points. Your conclusion that Azzi's FG or FT points would only occur at the expense of someone else's FG or FT points is simply incorrect for the likely scenarios I stated above.

Peace. Go Huskies!

JBK

Reaction Score
If an athlete is cleared to play why would you recommend they do not play until next year . Can you even imagine what is is like to win or compete for a national championship ??
They have worked their whole life for this opportunity and she may only have 2 shots at this - who knows.
Her newest injury was a new one - not from a previous one.
She is working out with Morgan everyday and could injure herself doing rehab.
They are young and healthy and doctors will let them go when they are able. Also Geno is over careful and cautious with these thoroughbreds.
The old days they might just play through the injury.

Reaction Score
No. The coaching staff is not qualified to make that decision. Only Azzi’s MD, who is cognizant of her injury and if a brace would suitable for that injury can make that decision.

That’s exactly right. There are many knee injuries where a knee brace will not help at all. And even in the case of players returning from ACL injuries, a brace will only help avoid a relatively small number of re-injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom