Azzi to become the new point guard? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Azzi to become the new point guard?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you are headed with this argument. Are you saying that Geno should not have recruited her, despite her amazing shooting skills, because of her slow feet? Or that she will/should be at the end of the bench until she somehow resolves that problem, which you seem to think is beyond her physical ability to do?

KML was quite productive for UConn despite being a slow-footed on-ball defender. I think Azzi is quicker than KML. KLS was not the fastest or the most agile defender either, but she certainly earned her substantial minutes at UConn. Caroline Ducharme seems to be cut from the same cloth as Lou, but she is learning to defend at the college level. (I don't think she would have been successful against the South Carolina guards in the game a few weeks ago, however.) I think Azzi, when healthy, can be at least as quick as Caroline, probably quicker.

Going back further, one can mention Mel Thomas -- in many ways a very similar player to Azzi, but I think Azzi has a much higher ceiling. Even further back, there is Katie Douglas (who won an NC at Purdue), who came into the WNBA as a 3-point shooter with no defensive skills and limited speed and quickness, but who became one of the best defenders in the league by being positionally smart and forcing her opponent into the team's help defense. I think Azzi is as fast and as quick as Katie Douglas already (though not as tall).

You have told us that you think Geno either overestimated or mishandled Azzi. How about telling us now how you think he should have handled her?
What are you talking about! My gosh, some of you just read into every post what you want to!! I never once mentioned her recruiting but obviously her injuries have been fairly well documented. Where I am headed is that the young lady did not look good on the court outside of making some stand still shots in one game out of four. If that is not a concern for you because she dominated HS and AAU a couple of years ago, you are entitled.
She is not KML or Mel Thomas and whether you think Fudd is quicker than KML or has a higher ceiling than Thomas means nothing to me. They are all different players playing at different times. I mentioned Fudd’s lack of lateral quickness the first time I saw her play. I sincerely hope for her sake injuries have not compromised her ability to play at this level but this is my last word on the subject because my daring to mention a ”concern” has driven some of you into a tizzy.

Reaction Score
Good post. Thought I had put the 2020 game out of my mind. Thanks for the reminder. :(

Tell me, did Dawn treat Fudd like just an unproven freshman in her game plan? Watch the game and it's obvious she gave specific instructions that Fudd was never to be left alone. `

I just hope UConn's players have been vaccinated for Juvenile Paranoiaitis because there's a lot of it going around. :rolleyes:
Oh no, Azzi was not left alone by our defense. No no no no no. We all know what happened in the game before ours when she was left open to shoot 3s. However, she was a focus of attack when she was on defense.

sun

Reaction Score
What it shows is that this group has very few people who understand basketball, even a little bit. Sounds like they understand this issue about as well as I understand nuclear physics.
Some are seeing Azzi as being a "combo guard", or as part of a point guard by committee.
A combo guard can play either SG or PG.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t know and don’t really care why Dawn saw and strategized on; I have made no assumptions as to Fudd’s injury status or physical condition. The fact is Auriemna gushed about her ”breakout” game the day before and I posted then I had no idea why Fernandez didn’t have defenders run at her and make her put the ball on the floor. The next day she was taken out of the game after 10 minutes and sidelined. The fact is Fudd was anointed as “generational” by many here before she ever played a game while ignoring the fact that evidently she was coming back from having been seriously injured. I certainly hope she comes back to be the best player she can be but I go by what I see and in the four games I watched her, she could not keep up with the speed of the game, something I and others posted about after the Arkansas opener.
If she was injured in is coming back from injury, as you point out, does that suddenly change her status as a generational player? Or is she merely a generational player who’s been injured?

Reaction Score
Oh no, Azzi was not left alone by our defense. No no no no no. We all know what happened in the game before ours when she was left open to shoot 3s. However, she was a focus of attack when she was on defense.

Thank you. But USF did a pretty good job staying close. SCar did better. It was a 3rd game in 3 days and UConn had a tough 2nd game while Oregon was so bad Staley could limit her starters' minutes. Not that it lessens your win but the loss wasn't going to form the basis of my opinion of Fudd or anyone on either team for that matter.

When I was a child my grandmother had a crankup Victrola and some 78's. One was the story where an acorn hits chicken lickin in the head and he spends the entire record warning everyone about the sky falling. I got the lesson.

Counter argument:("It could have been the sky falling. It was possible, wasn't it?")

Reaction Score
AZZI is a talent, but she isn't Paige. AZZI has proven she needs time to acclimate to the College game. She is not 100 percent and may not be for a while. A super talent. But Without Paige I think Muhl and Evina will be the Point, floor leader, coach on the floor. Evina has all the requirements. Ms Fudd will be a designated shooter for a while.
She has to HEAL, pure and simple; then and only then can she develop point guard skills and confidence.
ALL the injured players need to be rehabbed, if they are going to play flat out on offense and on defense. Until then we are in deep excrement against the top healthy teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom