Azzi to become the new point guard? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi to become the new point guard?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She wasn't quick enough before her injury and had not adjusted to game speed
She isn't going to be quick enough while Paige is out and will not adjust to game speed fast enough before Paige returns (soon as we all hope)
She won't be point guard when Paige gets back. She shoots too well to keep her behind Paige,,
She might be capable of playing point after Paige leaves. Might.
It is my understanding that Azzi's current injury "stress reaction". dates back to the summer and her time at USA basketball.
Nobody has been more critical of her defense than me since day 1. Let's wait until she is fully healthy to see what kind of defense she can bring to the table. At USA basketball and in HS Azzi was a much better defender than she has show thus far.

Reaction Score
IMHO "E" or Nika will be the point guards till Paige comes back!
The reason Azzi has looked slow and her shot has been off except for that 1 game is she's had a hurt foot since the summer effecting her normal game! When her foot heals (hopefully soon) you'll see the old Azzi!

Reaction Score
My short answer was "yes, I do" - doubt that she will become the PG when healthy. She's a freshman. She's had a foot injury since she played for Team USA this past summer, maybe longer. It's been lingering for months, and honestly, I'm not sure she will be back any time soon. Azzi has a laid back personality and while a tough, silent assassin on the floor, there is no way she's ready to shoulder the responsibility of being the vocal, emotional, and physical leader of the team. Too much too soon.

Nika is a year older and a true PG. Evina, while TO prone while at Tenn, played PG for 2 years there. It's not ideal - Geno said he does "not like the offense when Paige is not on the floor". I agree with him looking thru a fans' eyes, but now we have no choice. We will need to see what the rest of the team does and who steps up.

Opportunity is not only knocking, but has flung the door wide open. This team has the talent for multiple players to step up.
Careful EricLA-anytime you even ‘whisper’ that an injured player might need more time than originally projected,
the villagers here come with burning torches (are you a Dr, blah, blah,blah)
I, also, recognize that Azzi’s injury has been lingering for quite a while and I wouldn’t count on her making a meaningful contribution any time soon.
( and Paige, maybe NCAA’s, maybe done for the year).
Without them, Geno still has a starting 5 and at least a 3 deep bench he can go to.
Plenty of talent to win, just a little more challenging.

Reaction Score
Definition of a Straw Man Fallacy.
main-qimg-da2cf9499871f04b2045cf9bd51feb07

No one ever said Azzi was not a great gift or that UCONN will not properly utilize her immense talents. What we are trying to tell you is she will not be utilized as the PG that's all. I must have missed the part where Caroline became a "star"-yet another straw man fallacy or were you speaking in hyperbole?
I like your use of OLD adages. My favorite is the Gift horse.
Azzi IS a talent that has yet to prove, for an extended period, she can maintain that talent game to game. Paige has. Caroline, has talent, she too showed ONCE she can do what is asked of her. She MAY be a leader, a scorer, a defender, etc. As much as I have great expectation for Caroline, Like Azzi, we need to see improvement in every game she plays before I anoint her GREAT. FYI--I'm old, but I like today's world best, it's the only one I can live in.

Reaction Score
I would say we will go to Nika starting as we did last year when Page got hurt and PG becomes a committee with Nika and Evina and Liv at high post directing traffic.

As Azzi gets healthy, I have no doubt that she will be at first first off the bench and may eventually start if Nika can't be a scoring threat.

Azzi is not a natural PG but she has "lead guard" skills where she can create offense in collaboration with other guards and will do so when she is healthy while Page is still out.

Reaction Score
The reason Azzi has looked slow and her shot has been off except for that 1 game is she's had a hurt foot since the summer effecting her normal game! When her foot heals (hopefully soon) you'll see the old Azzi!
Shooters shoot with their feet, legs, then arms. Feet and legs have great importance.

Reaction Score
"Today "don’t (or never) look a gift horse in the mouth" means don't find fault with something that has been received as a gift or favor. Don’t be ungrateful when you receive a present, even if it’s not exactly what you wanted. If you complain about a gift someone has given you or a favor someone has done for you, you could be accused of looking a gift horse in the mouth."

She has tons of experience.
She can drain shots from anywhere so easily that she will draw added attention from the defense that will open up other players and passing lanes.
She won't be the only point guard, but the team is in a situation that calls for an apprentice.
Paige is probably the main reason why Azzi hasn't been on the floor learning the job.
Not allowing her the opportunity to learn would seem to be like looking at a gift horse in the mouth.

What does the phrase looking a gift horse in the mouth mean?

Definition of look a gift horse in the mouth

: to look in a critical way at something that has been given to one

I look forward to seeing Azzi becoming one of UConn's point guards.
Of course she will need to practice but there's plenty of weak opponents to practice against.
If Caroline can become a star then I'm quite sure that Azzi can. too.
How else can they be on the floor at the same time.
So far Azzi hasn’t shown she is capable of doing any of the things you claim she can do. At least not yet at the D1 college level.

JBK

Reaction Score
NIka Muhl or Evina Westbrook....... a shared responsiblity.
Azzi is , IMO, the future Shooting Guard ( Caroline on the WING )
Agreed
Evina was the top player in the country in high school. (think her an Meghan were 1 - 2 ) She had 2 years at the point and proved she can score as well ..
She has been very passive at UConn and now is her time to take over !!! She definitely has the skill and experience.
I believe she will step up - and really make a statement on why she returned for another year

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure, the poll about who would step up overwhelmingly named CD as the most likely to replace Paige's points.
That indicates that everyone expects her to be the next star.
Can Evina dribble between her legs and behind her back?
I think you are confusing two or eleven things here. Caroline being named "most likely" to replace Paige's points represents a lot of fans hope (including mine) for this team. I'm pretty sure BY were not indicating "stardom" for Caroline with those votes. That poll also did not "overwhelming" name CD and please note that Azzi Fudd was not included in the poll. Azzi would have easily won this poll if she were healthy and already carries the expectations of stardom. BTW Evina can definitely dribble between her legs and behind her back-was that one of then rhetorical questions?
1638984464004.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sure, the poll about who would step up overwhelmingly named CD as the most likely to replace Paige's points.
That indicates that everyone expects her to be the next star.
I agree that CD's great.
But we also have Azzi without a dedicated role and Paige's shoes to fill as a playmaker at PG.
I'm all for Nika, but there needs to be a back up.
Every player is expendable and needs more than one back up.
Can Evina dribble between her legs and behind her back?
I think not.
Can Evina or Nika drain shots like Azzi?
Of course not!
Do you get my drift?
Azzi is the better dedicated shooter and ball handler.
She has up to 3 months to prepare for the tourney.
When has CD shown she is great, unless you are speaking of Chris Dailey. Ducharme has the potential to be great but, it is going to take time.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
In Grad School, junior High, and many High Schools. . . Yes! Probably the best player on the court and on of the 3 that can dribble the ball a bit.

At this level if the most effective shooter on your team is wearing herself out running the offense you might win a lot of games but you'll probably won't get that far in the big Dance.

My "opinion" implied.

Reaction Score
I think you are confusing two or eleven things here. Caroline being named "most likely" to replace Paige's points represents a lot of fans hope (including mine) for this team. I'm pretty sure BY were not indicating "stardom" for Caroline with those votes. That poll also did not "overwhelming" name CD and please note that Azzi Fudd was not included in the poll. Azzi would have easily won this poll if she were healthy and already carries the expectations of stardom. BTW Evina can definitely dribble between her legs and behind her back-was that one of then rhetorical questions?
View attachment 71665
But can she “core a apple?”

sun

Reaction Score
View attachment 71665
I posted the video showing that part of training involves dribbling behind her back and between her legs.

And i disagree with you about the symbolic meaning of the poll.
The fans do overwhelmingly look to CD to replace Paige's points.
CD handily beat out the seniors in voting which is one indication of star potential.

Another reason why I think that Azzi could be a PG is because it could help conserve wear & tear on her feet by being able to walk the ball up the court instead of her having to run up the court every time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I posted the video showing that she trains dribbling behind her back and between her legs.

And i disagree with you about the symbolic meaning of the poll.
The fans do overwhelmingly look to CD to replace Paige's points.
CD handily beat out the seniors in voting.

Another reason why I think that Azzi could be a PG is because it could help conserve wear & tear on her feet by being to walk the ball up the court instead of her having to run up the court.
I
I find it hard to believe that the original post was a serious one. I think we've been trolled.
:eek: This last @sun post pretty much confirms it but I'll keep playing along.
@sun I'm not sure I want Azzi walking the ball up the court-isn't that how Paige got hurt? :D

sun

Reaction Score
So if Nika or Evina become injured and Azzi is available, you don't think that Azzi would be a potential PG?
I'll bet that Geno plans further ahead than you do.

Reaction Score
"Today "don’t (or never) look a gift horse in the mouth" means don't find fault with something that has been received as a gift or favor. Don’t be ungrateful when you receive a present, even if it’s not exactly what you wanted. If you complain about a gift someone has given you or a favor someone has done for you, you could be accused of looking a gift horse in the mouth."

She has tons of experience.
She can drain shots from anywhere so easily that she will draw added attention from the defense that will open up other players and passing lanes.
She won't be the only point guard, but the team is in a situation that calls for an apprentice.
Paige is probably the main reason why Azzi hasn't been on the floor learning the job.
Not allowing her the opportunity to learn would seem to be like looking at a gift horse in the mouth.

What does the phrase looking a gift horse in the mouth mean?

Definition of look a gift horse in the mouth

: to look in a critical way at something that has been given to one

I look forward to seeing Azzi becoming one of UConn's point guards.
Of course she will need to practice but there's plenty of weak opponents to practice against.
If Caroline can become a star then I'm quite sure that Azzi can. too.
How else can they be on the floor at the same time.
The saying originated long ago, and meant if someone offers to give you a horse because you need one, don't look at its teeth to determine how old it is and see whether or not it is one step away from the glue factory.

sun

Reaction Score
:eek: This last @sun post pretty much confirms it but I'll keep playing along.
@sun I'm not sure I want Azzi walking the ball up the court-isn't that how Paige got hurt? :D
It doesn't matter how Paige got hurt.
PG get hurt period.
Look at what happened to Nika's ankle during the tourney.
Every player is only one play away from being injured.

Using your logic there wouldn't be any WBB because it's a team contact sport.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter how Paige got hurt.
PG get hurt period.
Look at what happened to Nika's ankle during the tourney.
Every player is only one play away from being injured.

Under your logic there wouldn't be any WBB because it's a contact sport.
:eek: Wasn't Paige a non-contact injury?

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
:eek: Wasn't Paige was a non-contact injury?
It doesn't matter how Paige got hurt, Azzi is not Paige.
Even Paige tweeted "Gods way"

"When one door closes another one opens."

sun

Reaction Score
In Grad School, junior High, and many High Schools. . . Yes! Probably the best player on the court and on of the 3 that can dribble the ball a bit.

At this level if the most effective shooter on your team is wearing herself out running the offense you might win a lot of games but you'll probably won't get that far in the big Dance.

My "opinion" implied.
It seemed to work well enough to get Aari McDonald and Arizona into the NC game by beating UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So if Nika or Evina become injured and Azzi is available, you don't think that Azzi would be a potential PG?
I'll bet that Geno plans further ahead than you do.
I'm pretty sure that if every player except Azzi were injured, Azzi would be a potential PG.

Reaction Score
It is my understanding that Azzi's current injury "stress reaction". dates back to the summer and her time at USA basketball.
Nobody has been more critical of her defense than me since day 1. Let's wait until she is fully healthy to see what kind of defense she can bring to the table. At USA basketball and in HS Azzi was a much better defender than she has show thus far.
Agreed that she had more speed at one time but her history of injuries is not insignificant. Yes, I also agree that we haven’t seen a health Azzi in any games.

But she can swish when open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom