Azzi getting her mind and body ready to lead | The Boneyard

Azzi getting her mind and body ready to lead

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

This is the money quote for me

"I was not myself at all last year," she said. "There were spurts where I would kind of like, show kind of my old self or like what I'm capable of, but I was mostly a shooter last year. I'm capable of so much more."

More details about scoring iat all 3 levels and having the ball in her hands alot more

"I worked a lot on being comfortable with the ball in my hands and being comfortable like with my pull-up,” Fudd said. "My pull-up was one of my favorite parts of my game and then tore my ACL, then COVID ,and then I hurt my foot, so I wasn't able to explode or jump like I could, So I kind of lost that part of my game. I've been working on getting that back."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If what we have seen so far is the "injured, uncomfortable, not herself" player, the rest of WCBB should be very worried about what a confident, healthy, focused Azzi Fudd looks like!!! :D

All kidding aside, Azzi has the potential to be special. She knows it, the coaches know it, her teammates know it. With Paige out for the season, NOW is the time for her to shine, lead, and show the world what she is capable of!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am really excited because this is the first time I have really heard her say she can be much better than last year and it sounds she is getting ready to take full responsibility as the best player (by far) on the team should.

My thinking is if she is not a 20+ pt efficient (50-40-90) type player who can also take on point responsibilites and defend at a high level, UConn will not get to where it wants to.

Reaction Score
Here's 16-year-old, pre-injury Azzi in the D.C. City Championship Game. She had 38, matching the opponent's total.

Awesome video! Why does 16yo Azzi look exactly the same as 19yo Azzi?

A couple things really stand out to me: 1) she goes left as well as right on those pull up jumpers (Paige prefers to go right), and 2) she has really strong hands. She scored a couple times through defenders' hands.

If she's right, and that pull up 2pt jumper becomes her staple, I expect to see a lot of 3pt scoring from Caroline, Lou and Nika.

Reaction Score
Very interesting. Last year was so crazy for the team. With a couple senior guards and Paige, I could see how it could be a bit challenging to assert yourself. Then add injuries on top of that and being a freshman. I think she did fine. I did watch the e 60 article prior to the season which said she was the best prospect of the past 20 years , which was a bit much. I think she'll have a great season this year. Geno already said he's going to coach her as if she's an All American type player. I'm interested to see her offensively. I remember the Marquette road game where she was soo good. It will be interesting if she's able to do that consistently this season especially against some of the better defenses.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

A couple things really stand out to me: 1) she goes left as well as right on those pull up jumpers (Paige prefers to go right), and 2) she has really strong hands. She scored a couple times through defenders' hands.

If she's right, and that pull up 2pt jumper becomes her staple, I expect to see a lot of 3pt scoring from Caroline, Lou and Nika.
She will look the same at 39. getting her 5th Olympic Gold.

Reaction Score
I remember the Marquette road game where she was soo good. It will be interesting if she's able to do that consistently this season especially against some of the better defenses.
That Marquette game, and the Tennessee game, too, both of them really showed her leadership ability, which isn't easy to do next to Evina. But she showed she knows how to be the bedrock of the team, hit the tough shots, and free everyone else up to score as they can. This is exactly what I expect to see all season long. Naturally, my thoughts turn to Lou, and how she could be unleashed by Azzi's work. But Caroline will benefit from it as well. I'm almost tempted to think of Caroline and Azzi as "twin pillars" -- can't quite say twin towers -- on which UConn's run will rely on. They are strong.

Reaction Score
I am really excited because this is the first time I have really heard her say she can be much better than last year and it sounds she is getting ready to take full responsibility as the best player (by far) on the team should.

My thinking is if she is not a 20+ pt efficient (50-40-90) type player who can also take on point responsibilites and defend at a high level, UConn will not get to where it wants to.
Wouldn’t it be nice if Azzi picked up where Paige left off.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Very interesting. Last year was so crazy for the team. With a couple senior guards and Paige, I could see how it could be a bit challenging to assert yourself. Then add injuries on top of that and being a freshman. I think she did fine. I did watch the e 60 article prior to the season which said she was the best prospect of the past 20 years , which was a bit much. I think she'll have a great season this year. Geno already said he's going to coach her as if she's an All American type player. I'm interested to see her offensively. I remember the Marquette road game where she was soo good. It will be interesting if she's able to do that consistently this season especially against some of the better defenses.
Translation: Azzi will have a green light to do whatever she wants, and to take whatever the defenses give her. Azzi should get a lot of assists passing to her BIGS under the basket (as seen in these videos) when the opposing rim protector peels off the post player to pick her up. If they don't pick her up........an easy uncontested layup.

The cape of leadership has been put around her shoulders. Fudd says she's ready. "I played point guard with USA basketball so I know I'm capable of it," Fudd said earlier this month. "(Assistant Coach Jamelle Elliot) said it the other day. She asked Azzi "You know with Paige out, did that even crossed your mind, that you might have to be the backup point guard?" Fudd said "no it did not cross my mind, but I'm ready for it. I like it. I like a good challenge." You can bet Paige will constantly be in her ear all year, on and off the court.

That's good because even though she's still an underclassman, she' will still be perceived as one of the team leaders. Depending on who is on the floor with her, she should have the ball in her hands much of the time. I agree with Bone Dog that her pull up 2pt jumper becomes her staple. ;) That's going to be a very hard shot to defend that she should be able to get anytime she wants it.

I'm very interested and excited to see what a completely healthy Azzi Fudd looks like at this level. The good thing is she will have lots of talent around her, and will not have to do all of the heavy lifting by herself. We'll see if the "Everybody eats" mantra holds up this year. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Translation: Azzi will have a green light to do whatever she wants, and to take whatever the defenses give her. Azzi should get a lot of assists passing to her BIGS under the basket (as seen in these videos) when the opposing rim protector peels off the post player to pick her up. If they don't pick her up........an easy uncontested layup.

The cape of leadership has been put around her shoulders. Fudd says she's ready. "I played point guard with USA basketball so I know I'm capable of it," Fudd said earlier this month. "(Assistant Coach Jamelle Elliot) said it the other day. She asked Azzi "You know with Paige out, did that even crossed your mind, that you might have to be the backup point guard?" Fudd said "no it did not cross my mind, but I'm ready for it. I like it. I like a good challenge." You can bet Paige will constantly be in her ear all year, on and off the court.

That's good because even though she's still an underclassman, she' will still be perceived as one of the team leaders. Depending on who is on the floor with her, she should have the ball in her hands much of the time. I agree with Bone Dog that her pull up 2pt jumper becomes her staple. ;) That's going to be a very hard shot to defend that she should be able to get anytime she wants it.

I'm very interested and excited to see what a completely healthy Azzi Fudd looks like at this level. The good thing is she will have lots of talent around her, and will not have to do all of the heavy lifting by herself. We'll see if the "Everybody eats" mantra holds up this year. :)
With the strength of the early season OOC schedule and depending on the results of those games, things could be very interesting. Around Christmas time Fudd may not be the backup PG. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With the strength of the early season OOC schedule and depending on the results of those games, things could be very interesting. Around Christmas time Fudd may not be the backup PG. ;)
Not sure that is a good thing. That would mean Nika did not develop her offensive skills as hoped.

Reaction Score
Not sure that is a good thing. That would mean Nika did not develop her offensive skills as hoped.
Maybe not for her but as for the team it will just come down to whoever impacts winning the most will play the position the most minutes. We'll have to see who that is. I'm sure she's worked at her offensive skills but I'm not sure her ceiling is real high.

Reaction Score

Checkout the latest workout video and you will see the difference in 16 and 19 year old Azzi. She has changed (grown) matured.

Reaction Score
If Nika can score 8-10 pts a game and play great defense the team will thrive. She will have at least 2 outstanding 3 pt shooters to keep the defenses from sagging into the paint and that should open lanes for drives for everyone. And how do we measure energy expenditure? How do we measure heart? Mühl won't be among the top 3 or 5 top scorers for UConn but is that the top thing a coach wants from a PG? No, she isn't Bueckers but no one else in wbb is either. UConn will have 6 or 7 scorers to rotate in. Mühl's job is to run things. She'll likely average 3pt/gm on layups off of steals and if she hits a 3 and two 2's that's 10/game. How much did Jefferson score as a junior? (12.4/gm) And that was after averaging 7.4 for her 1st 2 years.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I agree with "the best", but not with "by far". The way that I think of "by far", if she is the best by far, even a 20 ppg 50-40-90 season won't get UConn the championship. Dorka averaged a double-double for two years at tOSU; a healthy Caroline should be better than last season; Aaliyah could be where we all projected her being two years after her freshman year. I fervently hope that Azzi isn't far better than all of them. They could all be sniffing at all-American.

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but this team has a lot of potential.

Reaction Score
If Nika can score 8-10 pts a game and play great defense the team will thrive. She will have at least 2 outstanding 3 pt shooters to keep the defenses from sagging into the paint and that should open lanes for drives for everyone. And how do we measure energy expenditure? How do we measure heart? Mühl won't be among the top 3 or 5 top scorers for UConn but is that the top thing a coach wants from a PG? No, she isn't Bueckers but no one else in wbb is either. UConn will have 6 or 7 scorers to rotate in. Mühl's job is to run things. She'll likely average 3pt/gm on layups off of steals and if she hits a 3 and two 2's that's 10/game. How much did Jefferson score as a junior? (12.4/gm) And that was after averaging 7.4 for her 1st 2 years.
I get where you’re coming from, but I think it isn’t that simple for Nika. She can totally sink a couple of those mortar-shot 3pt shots each game, and play dynamite defense. But if she can’t really run the point, then she’ll have relegated herself to the same bit-player status who can’t be on the floor at the end of big games. I hope this doesn’t happen, because I like her spark.

Comparing her to MoJeff really makes this clear. They are comparable as defenders, though I’d give the nod to MoJeff. But MoJeff’s offense isn’t completely captured in that 12.4/g. She was an ever present threat to score off the dribble, and this was a key element of our passing game. Nika has never achieved this.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I get where you’re coming from, but I think it isn’t that simple for Nika. She can totally sink a couple of those mortar-shot 3pt shots each game, and play dynamite defense. But if she can’t really run the point, then she’ll have relegated herself to the same bit-player status who can’t be on the floor at the end of big games. I hope this doesn’t happen, because I like her spark.

Comparing her to MoJeff really makes this clear. They are comparable as defenders, though I’d give the nod to MoJeff. But MoJeff’s offense isn’t completely captured in that 12.4/g. She was an ever present threat to score off the dribble, and this was a key element of our passing game. Nika has never achieved this.
Neither did MoJeff her first two seasons.

Reaction Score
Neither did MoJeff her first two seasons.
Actually, no. MoJeff was absolutely a threat to score off the dribble in her sophomore year for sure, as well as in her freshman year in limited minutes. This is the key offensive skill required of a pg. It's how she unlocks her passing game. It may have taken MoJeff two years to perfect this aspect of her game and become the floor leader she needed to be. But she was never afraid to finish at the rim in the half court offense -- not talking about fast break run outs here -- or to score off the dribble in the midrange.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Actually, no. MoJeff was absolutely a threat to score off the dribble in her sophomore year for sure, as well as in her freshman year in limited minutes. This is the key offensive skill required of a pg. It's how she unlocks her passing game. It may have taken MoJeff two years to perfect this aspect of her game and become the floor leader she needed to be. But she was never afraid to finish at the rim in the half court offense -- not talking about fast break run outs here -- or to score off the dribble in the midrange.
Her offense was not a big threat until her junior season.

Reaction Score
Her offense was not a big threat until her junior season.
There are lots of videos showing her scoring off the dribble that year. I’m not claiming she scored more than she did that year. I’m only saying she had skills that Nika has yet to show.

Reaction Score
I remain convinced that our best PG option is Azzi. If she was selected to do it for USA basketball, she can do it at Uconn and I love a. great PG. Look at what Rori Harmon does for Texas and know that Azzi is probably even better. What we have lacked is a point guard who can break down a defense in the paint.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remain convinced that our best PG option is Azzi. If she was selected to do it for USA basketball, she can do it at Uconn and I love a. great PG. Look at what Rori Harmon does for Texas and know that Azzi is probably even better. What we have lacked is a point guard who can break down a defense in the paint.
Azzi could do it. I think she is better utilized as a 2 or a 3 though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom