Azzi getting her mind and body ready to lead | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Azzi getting her mind and body ready to lead

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi is a great player and very sweet person. One of the reasons I wanted her to play at UConn was that time spent with Paige and Geno would make her tougher. I look forward to Azzi's development. She has skills that no one else does.

Reaction Score
Do any of our present players have the heart and fire of Jennifer Rizzoti? Little Jennifer. She was as big 'in the heart' as Alijah Boston. Rizzoti (back in 1995) set the tone for Uconn wbb as champions. Azzi needs some of what Rizzoti had.
It’s a good question. I think several of our players have the Rizzotti factor. Aaliyah and Caroline for sure. Dorka transferred because she wanted to win and OSU didn’t have what it takes. Nika has it. I think Ice has it.

Does Azzi have that fire? I think so, absolutely. She knows what it takes to win. I remember how Jakia Brown-Turner led her team to the high school championship game in DC and they were favorites. Their opponents had a freshman who’d impressed a few people. That freshman torched Brown-Turner’s team at every level, even when she was guarded by Brown-Turner herself. Imagine Brown-Turner’s feelings when NC St met UConn in the Elite 8 game last season and that same freshman torched her team again. I think Azzi’s got as much of the Rizzotti factor as we’ll need.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It’s a good question. I think several of our players have the Rizzotti factor. Aaliyah and Caroline for sure. Dorka transferred because she wanted to win and OSU didn’t have what it takes. Nika has it. I think Ice has it.

Does Azzi have that fire? I think so, absolutely. She knows what it takes to win. I remember how Jakia Brown-Turner led her team to the high school championship game in DC and they were favorites. Their opponents had a freshman who’d impressed a few people. That freshman torched Brown-Turner’s team at every level, even when she was guarded by Brown-Turner herself. Imagine Brown-Turner’s feelings when NC St met UConn in the Elite 8 game last season and that same freshman torched her team again. I think Azzi’s got as much of the Rizzotti factor as we’ll need.

Azzi is a little like Sue Bird, though even quieter. She'll kill you while she's smiling.

Reaction Score
I enjoy all the chit chat.
And various points of view.
EZ going guy.
Major problems with anyone short changing Nika.
Relentless.
Fearless
Tiger.
Leader.
Out.
How did Nika come into this… again? I thought we were talking about Azzi. Whatever.

If you’ve got to talk about our point guards, instead of making it about this or that player, try describing for us what skills you think a point guard ought to have. That way you don’t have to slip into hating this or that player.

Reaction Score
We should never confuse Azzi with Paige. They are different types of players and people. Paige has the 'killer'
instinct like Jordan, Lebron, Kobe and Curry. (ball champions all). Azzi is a nicer person, not a 'killer' on the court. Look back at film of last year. Azzi ran all over the court looking for an open shot. She rarely, if ever, challenged a defender. Yes, she was a freshman and yes she was injured but certain things on the court are instinctive. Azzi, while a great shooter (and player ) is not " I'm scoring here no matter what you do, even if I have to go over or through you".
I hope that Geno figures out a scheme of how to get Azzi open shots. She will take and make such shots. But she is not the person who will show up in the 'big game', the 'must have' game and score no matter what. Yes, she will make FT's all the time, but she is not a 'dog' type player. Paige is a dog. She'll score when she has to, no matter what!
Unfortunately, we lost the SC championship game, in part, because Azzi and CW did not show up and let SC take them out of their game.
In our prior eleven (11) championship games we had dogs, i.e., championship types on the courts. We had Jennifer Rizzoti, the Tass Force girls, Taurasi, Moore, Stewart, Tuck, Dolson, Mosquita-Lewis and others. They went into championships with will, fire and determination. They refused to be stopped or beat.
I hope to see the same championship fire in Azzi, Alijah Edwards, Dorka, Caroline and Lou. Hopefully the fire is in Ice and Ayanna. It must be there to win the Nattie. Do any of our present players have the heart and fire of Jennifer Rizzoti? Little Jennifer. She was as big 'in the heart' as Alijah Boston. Rizzoti (back in 1995) set the tone for Uconn wbb as champions. Azzi needs some of what Rizzoti had.
I don't mean to downplay the heart and skill of the present Huskies wbb. I love the team and wish them the best. Yet, I wonder if the "fire" is burning in them for number 12. No team is going to give it to them. They have to take it, number 12.
CG, I agree. Paige has a little bit of DT in her, i.e. she'll challenge her defender believing there she can score no matter what the defender tries to do. Azzi has phenomenal skills, a NPOY candidate. Some people need to take "happy pills", imagine what Azzi would be like if she took a "mean girl pill"?

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Azzi has the clutch factor.
She can make the clutch shots and the foul shots in the clutch, she's proved that.
Maybe there's some confusion with her not being more like an Alpha women.
You can't have too many Alpha women, they'll get in each other's way trying to take control of the game and end up competing against each other as teammates.
Maybe a team can only have one Alpha on the court at a time.
If it needs to be Azzi, then she'll learn to do it.
If it needs to be someone else, then someone else will get the ball in tough situations.
We'll see if Azzi is both the clutch and the Alpha or not in Paige's absence.
I doubt that we can proclaim that Azzi is not the top dog yet if she proves to be the most clutch.
I think that she can do it because she has ice in her veins.
But no one can do it if they're sick and ready to puke their guts out like in the NC game when other players were injured or not playing up to par.
Maybe under tough circumstances like the team is in again this year, the entire team needs to be an Alpha team with Azzi being the primary clutch.
Just wait & see how things develop.
But I wouldn't bet against Azzi, she's a dedicated & deadly assassin who will be playing her heart out.
IMO she's got the evil eye, the killer instinct of a UConn warrior but hopefully she won't be reckless enough to expose herself to needless injury unless there's a NC on the line.
Sometimes it's better to accept defeat & to be able to come back & play the next game healthy & in one piece.
I think that in the end she'll prove that her doubters are wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe a team can only have one Alpha on the court at a time.
I wonder if Azzi and Caroline can be twin alphas, so to speak. They aren’t twin towers. I though they could be twin pillars in another thread. But maybe they’re meant to be twin alphas — quiet individually but full of fire together.

Reaction Score
I agree with 'Sun'! We'll learn whether Azzi can be 'clutch' and an 'Alpha women'. I think that
you have to be Alpha to lead Uconn. And to HoopHuskie, view the national championship game again. No points from Azzi or CW until the 4th quarter. We needed them throughout the game. Their ususal game scoring could
have won the nattie for us; #12. None of our greats in the past went scoreless in the big game until the 4th q. Geno needs to give out some 'mean girl pills' to the present team.
We do need them. But we've already all chewed over that NC game too many times to need to be reminded again that Azzi and Caroline were not perfectly healthy for that game. It may not be the evidence you seem to think it is. Yes, I wish they'd been able to contribute more, the two freshmen on the floor, as opposed to the three seniors. I'm sure they felt the pressure of the occasion as well. But I don't see in it a harbinger of some deficiency in their play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After Geno recruited Elena Delle Donne, he said something to the effect that EDD wasn't the toughest kid on the block or something like that. I think one of his goals would have been to toughen her up a little. Other than injuries, EDD is having a phenomenal career. Only a few players have been 2x MVPs.

Reaction Score
I think that Milford Husky is right. Azzi is a little like Sue Bird. I hope she has Bird's will to win. Bird's will brought
a lot of gold.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
EDD was truly a generational talent coming out of high school. Her brand could’ve been so much more if……….
I was lucky enough to have a front row seat for the EDD experience starting when she was 12 and winning National AAU championships with Caroline Doty. Front row seat was because I had daughters in the same AAU program that used to practice before and after EDD's and Caroline's team at Chestnut Hill College. It was a phenomenal experience but I still feel cheated in the sense that for just one season I would have like to have seen a UCONN front court of Maya, Tina Charles and EDD. That would have been epic but UCONN didn't seem to miss EDD much those first two years had she stayed at UCONN. All the team did was go 39 and 0 in back to back seasons. But UCONN sure could have used her when Maya was a senior.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A little more updated material on Azzi's state of mind heading into the season

Valley wants to see Fudd be aggressive as she can be this season. Though she wasn’t able to do that consistently last year because of the injury, Fudd has proved up to the task in the early stages of team workouts.

“When she’s feeling good, I don’t know many people who can stop her,” Valley said. “She’s focused, she’s ready, I think.”

“I’m excited not to just show everyone else that, but kind of just to show myself I’m feeling so much better, moving so much better,” Fudd said. “So I’m excited to be able to move and play the way I know I can again.”

Reaction Score
I assume she is already the best guard in the country
Lots of good points here, Bone Dog... however, best guard in the country might be a stretch. If she's better than Caitlin Clark, the Huskies would indeed be a serious threat to win it all. We can hope.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
After Geno recruited Elena Delle Donne, he said something to the effect that EDD wasn't the toughest kid on the block or something like that. I think one of his goals would have been to toughen her up a little. Other than injuries, EDD is having a phenomenal career. Only a few players have been 2x MVPs.
Brings up and interesting former post of yours that I want to challenge. If I remembered correctly you were projecting that EDD was a Naismith HoF player. Is EDD a HoF? IMO she is not quite there yet and it would take another olympics Gold , WNBA MVP, or WNBA championship to seal the deal. One of the things that hurts her chances is that unlike the vast majority of WNBA players, EDD has not played much professionally overseas except for a short stint in China.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Brings up and interesting former post of yours that I want to challenge. If I remembered correctly you were projecting that EDD was a Naismith HoF player. Is EDD a HoF? IMO she is not quite there yet and it would take another olympics Gold , WNBA MVP, or WNBA championship to seal the deal. One of the things that hurts her chances is that unlike the vast majority of WNBA players, EDD has not played much professionally overseas except for a short stint in China.
Look. We all love Rebecca Lobo. What would the UConn program be without her? Every time I see her or hear her voice I feel that moment of victory in 1995 with her crying and running around the court like a mad woman. Rebecca is in the HOF. EDD's professional achievements are far better than Rebecca's. Delle Donne has won two WNBA Most Valuable Player Awards (2015, 2019), been selected to six All-Star teams, and was the first WNBA player to join the 50–40–90 club. She has one WNBA championship ring. She was named to The W25, the league's list of the top 25 players of its first 25 years, in 2021. To me that is far and above the necessary requirements for the HOF.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if EDD is in Springfield yet or not, but a couple more years of scoring 18+ ppg should get her there. I don't know if she'll be on Team USA, but it's possible. WNBA champion or MVP is certainly possible, though Wilson and Stewart stand in the way.

Here's the list of multiple-time WNBA MVPs:

3 times: Swoopes, Leslie, Jackson

2 times: Cooper, Parker, Delle Donne, Wilson

It's a very, very elite group. Note that Jackson's career was limited by injuries. EDD is 3rd in career ppg in the WNBA, at 19.8. Only Cooper and Stewart are higher.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to have a front row seat for the EDD experience starting when she was 12 and winning National AAU championships with Caroline Doty. Front row seat was because I had daughters in the same AAU program that used to practice before and after EDD's and Caroline's team at Chestnut Hill College. It was a phenomenal experience but I still feel cheated in the sense that for just one season I would have like to have seen a UCONN front court of Maya, Tina Charles and EDD. That would have been epic but UCONN didn't seem to miss EDD much those first two years had she stayed at UCONN. All the team did was go 39 and 0 in back to back seasons. But UCONN sure could have used her when Maya was a senior.
If EDD had come to UConn, she--not Stewie--could have been the first player to win 4 consecutive NCAA championships. We had the 2 best players in the nation in 2010--Maya and Tina, in some order. We would have had the 3 best, which would have been unprecedented.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Look. We all love Rebecca Lobo. What would the UConn program be without her? Every time I see her or hear her voice I feel that moment of victory in 1995 with her crying and running around the court like a mad woman. Rebecca is in the HOF. EDD's professional achievements are far better than Rebecca's. Delle Donne has won two WNBA Most Valuable Player Awards (2015, 2019), been selected to six All-Star teams, and was the first WNBA player to join the 50–40–90 club. She has one WNBA championship ring. She was named to The W25, the league's list of the top 25 players of its first 25 years, in 2021. To me that is far and above the necessary requirements for the HOF.

I agree about Elena's accomplishments, but Rebecca is not a fair comparison. She was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Contributor, not a Player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Milford Husky is right. Azzi is a little like Sue Bird. I hope she has Bird's will to win. Bird's will brought
a lot of gold.

Azzi seems to lack the external intensity of her parents, especially Katie. But I think she has the same inner drive. Steph Curry probably agrees.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree about Elena's accomplishments, but Rebecca is not a fair comparison. She was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Contributor, not a Player.
Fair enough. You're correct, and I was perhaps a bit off point. I would also however put her career up against Yolanda Griffith. The problem really for me is the criteria for men to get into the HOF is well watered down, whereas women seemly have to meet a far higher standard. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
When I think of Rebecca's accomplishments, it's primarily that she lent instant credibility to the league by joining it. Her career was shortened by injury, so it's hard to judge her on stats.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You make a good case that EDD professional achievements but let’s consider impact for a second. Rebecca is the “birth” of a UCONN dynasty as well as one of the faces responsible for the birth of the WNBA. Rebecca has also stayed close to the game with broadcasting and is one of the most influential voices of the women’s game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom