Azzi getting her mind and body ready to lead | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi getting her mind and body ready to lead

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Nika can score 8-10 pts a game and play great defense the team will thrive. She will have at least 2 outstanding 3 pt shooters to keep the defenses from sagging into the paint and that should open lanes for drives for everyone. And how do we measure energy expenditure? How do we measure heart? Mühl won't be among the top 3 or 5 top scorers for UConn but is that the top thing a coach wants from a PG? No, she isn't Bueckers but no one else in wbb is either. UConn will have 6 or 7 scorers to rotate in. Mühl's job is to run things. She'll likely average 3pt/gm on layups off of steals and if she hits a 3 and two 2's that's 10/game. How much did Jefferson score as a junior? (12.4/gm) And that was after averaging 7.4 for her 1st 2 years.
This is an absurd comparison as well as an unfathomable expectation for Nika because what Moriah did as a junior was put up one of the all time great season in UCONN history for a PG. To get to those 12.4 PPG all she did was shoot 49.6% (better than KML) from deep and 58.7 % overall. She had 100 steals on the season & 191 assists compared to 62 turnovers resulting in her winning something called the Lieberman Award=best PG in the nation. In order to get to 12 PPG Nika would have to attempt 3X more FG than she is currently doing and improve her accuracy by 18% overall, and her 3PTFG accuracy by 13%, and be expected to play over ~38 MPG. This will also require a great deal of "energy expenditure" on the part of Nika.

Reaction Score
If Fudd stays injury free we will see a more dynamic offensive player than we saw last season.......I'd be surprised if she didn't average 20-24 points per game along with 4-5 rebounds and assists per game.....

Reaction Score
This is an absurd comparison as well as an unfathomable expectation for Nika because what Moriah did as a junior was put up one of the all time great season in UCONN history for a PG. To get to those 12.4 PPG all she did was shoot 49.6% (better than KML) from deep and 58.7 % overall. She had 100 steals on the season & 191 assists compared to 62 turnovers resulting in her winning something called the Lieberman Award=best PG in the nation. In order to get to 12 PPG Nika would have to attempt 3X more FG than she is currently doing and improve her accuracy by 18% overall, and her 3PTFG accuracy by 13%, and be expected to play over ~38 MPG. This will also require a great deal of "energy expenditure" on the part of Nika.
I loved MoJeff at UConn. She was so scrappy, so quick, so tenacious. when she played against SC it was glorious. I don’t mind comparing her to Nika, because they share some qualities. It’s unfair to Nika to hold her to such a standard given where she’s starting from. But I think she may surprise us with what she can do this year.

This is the real pleasure of thinking about the challenge Nika faces. If she can live up to it, even if she’s not playing at MoJeff’s level, it will still be wonderful. Folks mistakenly assume we’re just trashing Nika. But that’s not it at all. I’m just trying to bring it all into focus for myself to better appreciate whatever Nika manages to achieve. It would diminish her to pretend there aren’t huge hurdles facing her. I have high hopes for her.

Reaction Score
Just for contrast, I have no problem comparing Azzi to Paige, or to KML, or to Diana or Sue or Maya. That’s the right talent level for her. Those are the standards its appropriate for her to aim at. Maybe she’ll achieve great things too.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
There are lots of videos showing her (mo jeff) scoring off the dribble that year. I’m not claiming she scored more than she did that year. I’m only saying she had skills that Nika has yet to show.
so ... nika ain't mo jeff, as well as not being paige!

golly gee, perhaps you're asking for a bit too much.

it's about time some folks appreciated nika for who she is, rather than expecting another paige, or moriah. geez!

if you must make comparisons: how's nika stack up with maria? and maria was a key starter for a couple NC teams -- great with the timely treys and a solid ball hander; not known for her defense, though, and when she scored "2" it was surprising to all.

i liked maria, but if she was expected to be D, well, i'd be sorely disappointed, and i wouldn't be giving her credit for who she was.

Reaction Score
it's about time some folks appreciated nika for who she is, rather than expecting another paige, or moriah. geez!
Yup. Exactly what I’m trying to do, as so many of my posts on this topic have amply shown. Why this persistent claim that to describe what a player has done is somehow to belittle her? What is that about? Anyone who truly wants to celebrate what Nika accomplishes this year better start by appreciating what her starting point is. Pretending that it will all be easy for her, that she’s already got all the skills she needs, that is to belittle her. It is to discount whatever she achieves in advance. Don’t steal that from her.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Yup. Exactly what I’m trying to do, as so many of my posts on this topic have amply shown. Why this persistent claim that to describe what a player has done is somehow to belittle her? What is that about? Anyone who truly wants to celebrate what Nika accomplishes this year better start by appreciating what her starting point is. Pretending that it will all be easy for her, that she’s already got all the skills she needs, that is to belittle her. It is to discount whatever she achieves in advance. Don’t steal that from her.
problem is that you can say the same about any player who potentially can improve her game -- and can't they all? it seems that nika is too often the focus; over and over there are demands that she must be better. why nika rather than dorka or liya or aubrey, caroline, azzi etc,

Reaction Score
problem is that you can say the same about any player who potentially can improve her game -- and can't they all? it seems that nika is too often the focus; over and over there are demands that she must be better. why nika rather than dorka or liya or aubrey, caroline, azzi etc,
Perhaps you haven’t noticed, but people have been discussing those players too, and what the coming season may look like for them. But we’ve all also noticed that with Paige’s injury, there will be a lot of extra pressure on Nika. It’s an opportunity for her to grow even more than she already has, a wonderful challenge. Let’s not cheat her of this moment. If you don’t think she needs to develop in any special way to handle the starting pg position on an NC contender, or that it’s no big deal for a player who has limited offensive skills to develop them, you’re entitled to that opinion. I’d disagree with you, but it’d be your opinion and you’re entitled to it. What I won’t accept is the notion that describing what she has done and reflecting on what she may need to do to succeed this season in this role is to belittle her. If she does even minimally what a pg on an NC contender needs to do, I’ll celebrate her achievements before anyone else.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There have been "multiple" demands for those players to improve as well. This has been the case for EVERY player to ever wear a UCONN uniform even Maria Conlon. Is the standard suddenly different because it is Nika or were you not aware of the demands for those other players? I'll also remind you that the need for Nika to improve was aired out publicly by Geno and she is not the first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because UCONN is down one starting guard.
And because of this additional responsibilities will be delegated to her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With the strength of the early season OOC schedule and depending on the results of those games, things could be very interesting. Around Christmas time Fudd may not be the backup PG. ;)
Fudd is a SHOOTING guard. THAT is where she is best and most productive at. Yes, she can run the point if she has to, but she’s more effective and lethal at the 2. ;)

Reaction Score
Fudd is a SHOOTING guard. THAT is where she is best and most productive at. Yes, she can run the point if she has to, but she’s more effective and lethal at the 2. ;)
I didn't say she wasn't. However, as I said in post #14, it all comes down to winning games. Whoever impacts winning the most will play the most minutes at PG. If the team is playing good defense but scoring 65-70 pts a game and keeping other teams in the game, I don't believe that's going to fly for long. If adjustments need to be made to open up the offense, I think they'll be made. Possibly at several positions.

Reaction Score
Fudd is a SHOOTING guard.

I didn't say she wasn't
I agree with both you guys. I like the flexibility. We have the best shooting guard in the country who can, if necessary, step into be the best point guard in the country. I just like her better at shooting guard. What coach wouldn’t want to have this problem? Oh, yeah, and Geno had this very problem when Paige was a freshman.

Reaction Score
Actually, no. MoJeff was absolutely a threat to score off the dribble in her sophomore year for sure, as well as in her freshman year in limited minutes. This is the key offensive skill required of a pg. It's how she unlocks her passing game. It may have taken MoJeff two years to perfect this aspect of her game and become the floor leader she needed to be. But she was never afraid to finish at the rim in the half court offense -- not talking about fast break run outs here -- or to score off the dribble in the midrange.

Would Jefferson have started at pg guard if she and Bueckers were fighting for the position? I say no. She or Bueckers would have signed with another team. Remember, Mühl signed with UConn knowing she would be the second pg. UConn fans should be thankful she did instead of bemoaning the fact that she isn't Bueckers.

Reaction Score

It wasn't a comparison. It was intended to put some perspective on things using an example of an all-time great Husky who had her own struggles as a freshman/sophomore. Those lovely drives and pass offs down the lane as an upperclassman were blind drives into double teams and to's when she was a freshman/sophomore.
Players improve at UConn and everyone remembers them as accomplished seniors and forget their flaws as underclassmen. Jefferson averaged about 7.5 pts/game as a freshman/sophomore and did it with far more total game minutes than Mühl played.

Reaction Score
Just a bit of history. These would have been the backup possibilities in 2013 and 2014 if Jefferson had been lost for a season.

Caroline Doty s - knees shot, could only play limited minutes
Brianna Banks s - never played pg
Bria Hartley j - starting 2 and lacked the quickness to play point
Kelly Faris s - more of a wing and a total lack of offense as a sophomore

Tierney Lawlor f - end of bencher
Bria Hartley s - see above
Brianna Banks j - see above
Saniya Chong f - a possibility as a pg
Briana Pulido s - walk on

UConn was lucky that Jefferson stayed relatively healthy for 4 years.

I must have read a hundred times about what Mühl "needs to do". I'm just happy that UConn has a competent backup. And I keep it in mind that she came to UConn with the understanding that Bueckers would start. many here want her to perform as a five-star pg. Five-star point guards don't sign to be backups their whole college career.

Reaction Score
I agree with both you guys. I like the flexibility. We have the best shooting guard in the country who can, if necessary, step into be the best point guard in the country. I just like her better at shooting guard. What coach wouldn’t want to have this problem? Oh, yeah, and Geno had this very problem when Paige was a freshman.
Best shooting guard in the country?
Remains to be seen.
Based on reputation, yes.
Based on last years numbers, no.
Will be revealed soon enough.
“ the proof of the pudding is in the tasting “

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Man................it's starting to get a little "warm" in here, bit I like it. :) I'm ALWAYS interested in what my Boneyard brethren are thinking.

Reaction Score
Best shooting guard in the country?
Remains to be seen.
Based on reputation, yes.
Based on last years numbers, no.
Will be revealed soon enough.
“ the proof of the pudding is in the tasting “
I tend to speak in prophetic terms. It’s how I roll. Get with the program. Now is not the time for caution and half praise.

Reaction Score
Well, you just knew you were going to get a thumbs down from Coco. Maybe Coco should start a thread "Nika's not good enough" where they could all hang out.

I agree with you, Nika has too often been the focus over and over again. she's not MoJef, Paige, Azzi, or anyone else. She's Nika.

sun

Reaction Score
There will probably come a time when Azzi is playing PG and Nika will need to enter the game to give someone a rest.
But if Geno thinks that Azzi should remain in as PG, then Nika may need to learn to play another position in addition to PG.
We need to be realistic that one may be better than the other, and that by necessity Nika may need to be able to score some points without being the PG.
She'll need practice to become another guard on the team.
Every game may be different and it's best to prepare for contingencies for whatever reason such as for the betterment of the team or to simply make Nika a better all around player.
Paige was able to play more than one position and every player should have some versatility.
I doubt that Ines will be ready to play much PG anytime soon.
I'm confident that Nika can make some shots if needed whether she's playing PG or not.
Geno moved Evina's position around and nothing will stop him from doing whatever he thinks is best for the team.
Nika may benefit by not having the pressure of playing PG and so might Azzi at times.
And if a 3rd PG comes into the game, that doesn't necessarily mean that Azzi or Nika need to take a rest.
It may mean that the 3rd PG needs training time and other players need to move over while someone else rests.
That's what being prepared should be all about.
People don't always need to sit at the same spot at the dinner table in order to eat.
Maybe Geno can teach the veteran UConn Huskies some new tricks.
Like Paige said after returning from her injury that she just wants to contribute in any way.
So should they all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There will probably come a time when Azzi is playing PG and Nika will need to enter the game to give someone a rest.
But if Geno thinks that Azzi should remain in as PG, then Nika may need to learn to play another position in addition to PG.
We need to be realistic that one may be better than the other, and that by necessity Nika may need to be able to score some points without being the PG.
She'll need practice to become another guard on the team.
Every game may be different and it's best to prepare for contingencies for whatever reason such as for the betterment of the team or to simply make Nika a better all around player.
Paige was able to play more than one position and every player should have some versatility.
I doubt that Ines will be ready to play much PG anytime soon.
I'm confident that Nika can make some shots if needed whether she's playing PG or not.
Geno moved Evina's position around and nothing will stop him from doing whatever he thinks is best for the team.
Nika may benefit by not having the pressure of playing PG and so might Azzi at times.
And if a 3rd PG comes into the game, that doesn't necessarily mean that Azzi or Nika need to take a rest.
It may mean that the 3rd PG needs training time and other players need to move over while someone else rests.
That's what being prepared should be all about.
People don't always need to sit at the same spot at the dinner table in order to eat.
Maybe Geno can teach the veteran UConn Huskies some new tricks.
Like Paige said after returning from her injury that she just wants to contribute in any way.
So should they all.
A very thoughful epistle..... I agree...... there are many interesting ways that this could pan out,
We're all waiting for the magic, Geno!! Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
There are lots of ways it could end. But I’d be very surprised if for the Northeastern game Geno doesn’t start Nika Azzi Caroline Aaliyah Dorka. All the vets. These kids need to get used to each other as the backbone of the team. Who knows what the substitution pattern will be, or what subsequent games will bring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom