Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Beyond the stuff below, Azzi's high school coach says she was 50% at best this past season, referring to her recovery from knee surgery. Said he didn't want her going inside.

Fudd said UConn coach Geno Auriemma learned of her decision “pretty recently.”

“He was really excited,” Fudd said. “He was surprised when I told him because whenever they would ask me when I planned on signing, I never really had a set timetable. I always said, ‘Well, before I have to sign or before my birthday.’”

And Bueckers, Fudd’s good friend and teammate with USA Basketball?

“She cried a little bit,” Fudd said with a laugh.

https://www.ctpost.com/uconn/articl..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

Reaction Score
I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's tradition to call the last player that wore the number you want to wear. Yes, Boykin did wear #35, but she never suited up or appeared in a game before she transferred.
So that would make Marci Czel (1998-2001) the last player to wear that number.
Huskies of Honor whose number is on the wall. They only have to ask those players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno's best teams usually haven't been overflowing with talent, but they have the right mix of players who fit into their spots without a lot of really talented players riding the pine. His smaller roster approach has backfired in recent years due to several transfers and early WNBA entrants, so I think he's now opting for larger classes and larger rosters to combat the transfer movement. A lot of other coaches are utilizing transfers and grad transfers, but Geno hasn't had great success with that. Next year if no one transfers, UCONN will have 14 scholarship players on the roster which is more than any other season in at least 10-15 years...maybe his largest roster ever.

UCONN always seems to have a death grip on #1 recruits too. They've now landed 5 of the last 7 top recruits, and UCONN is almost always a finalist for #1 recruits. Most of the others they've missed on (Jones, Cox, Wilson, Ogwumike) all had UCONN as finalists, and all 4 chose their school to play close to home or be with family. Going further back, only 3 top recruits over the last 20 years haven't had UCONN as a finalist (Mercedes Russell, Brittney Griner and Candace Parker.) 85% have had UCONN as a finalist and 60% have ended up picking UCONN if you include Hunter transferring in. Any fear of Geno retiring or recruitment declining in coming years seems unfounded to me considering the historical precedent, and the fact that UCONN has #1 kids on board from 2020 and 2021, and already has the #2 player from 2022 all committed or enrolled.

More often than not, UCONN lands the 1-2 top 5 kids (usually the #1 recruit) and a couple of kids in the 11-50 range. Some years just 1-2 kids, but a common pattern is that the top recruits typically play more of a supportive role as freshmen, but still log big minutes or make an impact. As sophomores they morph into primary starters and become huge contributors.

The less heralded kids (usually ranked 11-50 in recruiting rankings) don't often get a lot of playing time early and either end up transferring or paying their dues for another season in a smaller role before taking on a larger role as juniors/seniors. Occasionally you'll get unexpected impact players from a less touted player like a Kia Nurse or Anna Makurat, but often times they primarily ride the bench or maybe get blowout minutes as freshmen.

By the time everything shakes out, he usually has 3-4 starters who were ranked as top 5 recruits (a couple of whom are upperclassmen) and maybe 1-2 less heralded upperclassmen starting. Bench contributors are often freshmen or sophomores who are high energy players that will take on bigger roles the following year. It's a good blend of youth and experience, and you typically avoid ego issues instead of loading up with all top 10 kids. The players who aren't happy with smaller roles weed themselves out, and the cycle repeats. It clearly works since I don't think UCONN has had a top player transfer out, maybe ever, aside from EDD which was a unique situation.

In regards to South Carolina, Dawn's approach hasn't seemed quite as methodical over the years as Geno's, largely because she's been building a juggernaut reputation rather than already having one established. She's landed 2 absolutely massive classes, but big classes usually do not stick together since playing time issues arise. She does have playing time available for all of her 2019 kids, but I see inevitable playing time concerns for her 2021 class when all of those freshmen will likely be coming off the bench. The following year, in all likelihood at least 2 or 3 of those players will still be coming off the bench. Feagin, Rivers, and Johnson are all ranked as top 5 recruits by various publications. Most top 10 recruits are not on board with coming off the bench for half of their career.

I'm guessing it will still work well for Dawn even if 1-2 big names end up transferring. And she'll still recruit quite well, especially since she has done fantastic in the transfer market. The benefit of this approach is that by the time your best kids are upperclassmen, the teams created are really, really good. We've seen this happen recently with Oregon in 2020, Notre Dame in 2018/2019, Baylor in 2019, and Mississippi State in 2018. All of those teams had championship caliber teams, and all were dominated by upperclassmen.

I'm not sure if this all makes a lot of sense or if it's mostly rambling thoughts, but that's my take on different recruiting philosophies.
Every thing was good on what you said. The one part about I'm pretty sure they haven't offered Autumn a scholarship yet. If not UConn will have 2 scholarships next year. UConn men had a situation where they had no scholarships available. So a current player gave up his so they had an extra one for the player they recruited. So it gave them 14 players. Only 13 scholarships for the mens teams.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Thank You for the kudos.
Next 5 years (this year and 4 with Azzi) will be AZZISOME!!!

So Magruber, I went back and saw that your post guaranteeing that Azzi was coming to UConn was posted on October 22.

The ESPN article recounts how Azzi decided to come to UConn while driving up to UConn with her parents in a minivan - on October 22.

How about that.

So, I`m guessing that

1. You are a psychic,

2. You bugged the van,

3. You were hiding in the van,

4. It was an educated and reasonable guess with oddly coincidential timing, or

5. ??????

Hmmmmm?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Geno's best teams usually haven't been overflowing with talent, but they have the right mix of players who fit into their spots without a lot of really talented players riding the pine. His smaller roster approach has backfired in recent years due to several transfers and early WNBA entrants, so I think he's now opting for larger classes and larger rosters to combat the transfer movement. A lot of other coaches are utilizing transfers and grad transfers, but Geno hasn't had great success with that. Next year if no one transfers, UCONN will have 14 scholarship players on the roster which is more than any other season in at least 10-15 years...maybe his largest roster ever.

UCONN always seems to have a death grip on #1 recruits too. They've now landed 5 of the last 7 top recruits, and UCONN is almost always a finalist for #1 recruits. Most of the others they've missed on (Jones, Cox, Wilson, Ogwumike) all had UCONN as finalists, and all 4 chose their school to play close to home or be with family. Going further back, only 3 top recruits over the last 20 years haven't had UCONN as a finalist (Mercedes Russell, Brittney Griner and Candace Parker.) 85% have had UCONN as a finalist and 60% have ended up picking UCONN if you include Hunter transferring in. Any fear of Geno retiring or recruitment declining in coming years seems unfounded to me considering the historical precedent, and the fact that UCONN has #1 kids on board from 2020 and 2021, and already has the #2 player from 2022 all committed or enrolled.

More often than not, UCONN lands the 1-2 top 5 kids (usually the #1 recruit) and a couple of kids in the 11-50 range. Some years just 1-2 kids, but a common pattern is that the top recruits typically play more of a supportive role as freshmen, but still log big minutes or make an impact. As sophomores they morph into primary starters and become huge contributors.

The less heralded kids (usually ranked 11-50 in recruiting rankings) don't often get a lot of playing time early and either end up transferring or paying their dues for another season in a smaller role before taking on a larger role as juniors/seniors. Occasionally you'll get unexpected impact players from a less touted player like a Kia Nurse or Anna Makurat, but often times they primarily ride the bench or maybe get blowout minutes as freshmen.

By the time everything shakes out, he usually has 3-4 starters who were ranked as top 5 recruits (a couple of whom are upperclassmen) and maybe 1-2 less heralded upperclassmen starting. Bench contributors are often freshmen or sophomores who are high energy players that will take on bigger roles the following year. It's a good blend of youth and experience, and you typically avoid ego issues instead of loading up with all top 10 kids. The players who aren't happy with smaller roles weed themselves out, and the cycle repeats. It clearly works since I don't think UCONN has had a top player transfer out, maybe ever, aside from EDD which was a unique situation.

In regards to South Carolina, Dawn's approach hasn't seemed quite as methodical over the years as Geno's, largely because she's been building a juggernaut reputation rather than already having one established. She's landed 2 absolutely massive classes, but big classes usually do not stick together since playing time issues arise. She does have playing time available for all of her 2019 kids, but I see inevitable playing time concerns for her 2021 class when all of those freshmen will likely be coming off the bench. The following year, in all likelihood at least 2 or 3 of those players will still be coming off the bench. Feagin, Rivers, and Johnson are all ranked as top 5 recruits by various publications. Most top 10 recruits are not on board with coming off the bench for half of their career.

I'm guessing it will still work well for Dawn even if 1-2 big names end up transferring. And she'll still recruit quite well, especially since she has done fantastic in the transfer market. The benefit of this approach is that by the time your best kids are upperclassmen, the teams created are really, really good. We've seen this happen recently with Oregon in 2020, Notre Dame in 2018/2019, Baylor in 2019, and Mississippi State in 2018. All of those teams had championship caliber teams, and all were dominated by upperclassmen.

I'm not sure if this all makes a lot of sense or if it's mostly rambling thoughts, but that's my take on different recruiting philosophies.

Excellent analysis and a fun read.

One tiny nit - I'd count Samarie Walker as a top payer who transferred out. She was definitely top 10, and IIRC, may even have been top ranked in some rankings before an injury moved her down a bit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More quotes from the Athletic

“I remember I got chills watching their first practice,” Fudd said. “I was like, ‘Oh my gosh.’ Just the way they run things, as soon as you step in the gym, you can tell it’s just different, like it’s a different level of focus. So it was always in the back of my head because, I mean, it’s UConn.”

A couple of weeks ago, during an hours-long car ride with her parents, Fudd brought up the college decision and just started talking. Tim said it was a relief to finally hear her thoughts and to learn she was picking UConn. She then told UConn, speaking first with assistant Shea Ralph and next coach Geno Auriemma.

Then she told Bueckers.

“She started crying and, like, tearing up and she was like, ‘No way, you guys are joking,” Fudd said. “To be the mean best friend I am, I said, ‘Just kidding,’ and she got so mad. But I told her it was real and so she was crying a little.”

Tim laughed at that interaction, saying, “That didn’t go over well.” Despite how it looked in public — Bueckers used her social media at times to try to persuade her friend to choose the Huskies — Tim said Bueckers was uncharacteristically quiet with Fudd, giving her space to make her decision.

Fudd’s been texting and talking with her friends who are preparing for their college seasons. Bueckers’ messages, she said, have been the funniest and good reminders for her to enjoy the time she has before getting to UConn.

“She’ll be like, ‘Oh we had such a hard practice,’” Fudd said. “I just laugh because that’s all I can do, because I’ll be there next year. I’ll be in the hard practice with her. So all I can do now is just laugh while I can.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Magruber, I went back and saw that your post guaranteeing that Azzi was coming to UConn was posted on October 22.

The ESPN article recounts how Azzi decided to come to UConn while driving up to UConn with her parents in a minivan - on October 22.

How about that.

So, I`m guessing that

1. You are a psychic,

2. You bugged the van,

3. You were hiding in the van,

4. It was an educated and reasonable guess with oddly coincidential timing, or

5. ??????

Hmmmmm?
Or Magruber is one of the aliases that Tim Fudd goes by. ;)

Reaction Score
I think it's been more "unlucky" than cyclical.

Boykin decommitted the last minute. No time to recruit.

In order to maintain balance upfront he gets transfer commits from Stevens and Camara. This blocks younger bigs from coming other than maybe one "big" player. Stevens only stays one year and Camara is just never able to play though year over year hope is held out.

Then the 2017 class - of the 4 players (guards and wings) rated as 97/98 by Hoopgurlz- only one ends up staying. This blocks future 2018 guard and wing recruits other than the #1 player in CWill.

Between the bigs that left early/unable to play and the 2017 class of guards and wings that transferred - it was just unlucky. It happens. The 2015 class according to hoogurlz UCONN had 1. 6, and 23. While 23 left - they picked up Stevens who was a 23 in 2014 and Camara who played well in SEC.
Add that up with 2017 in which he had 1,13,16, and 29 -- - (only 1 of the 4 remained) this is still solid recruiting imo annot cyclical. They just didn't "fit."
Boykin didn’t actually decommit she transferred after the first semester without ever playing a game for UConn

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Let's belay the talk of four or five consecutive NCs. Injuries, homesickness, off-campus issues, family considerations, etc could impact the best laid plans.

All I am saying is don't schedule the coronation(s) yet.
I agree, however, you left out one important reason. (I know you included etc.) Other very good teams. There are more of them now.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I agree, however, you left out one important reason. (I know you included etc.) Other very good teams. There are more of them now.

And the way the game has evolved to allow them to muscle people around like the guy's game. Gone are the days of the beautiful ball movement and smooth flowing offense like we loved in 1995. Not enough freedom of movement anymore to allow that to happen. Kind of sad but that's where we are. Your team can be as talented as they come, but if they aren't strong and tough they can be beat down.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Every thing was good on what you said. The one part about I'm pretty sure they haven't offered Autumn a scholarship yet. If not UConn will have 2 scholarships next year. UConn men had a situation where they had no scholarships available. So a current player gave up his so they had an extra one for the player they recruited. So it gave them 14 players. Only 13 scholarships for the mens teams.

Thank you--I count 14 if Westbrook is back: Westbrook, Williams, ONO, Makurat, Griffin, Edwards, Muhl, Bueckers, McLean, DeBerry, Fudd, Poffenbarger, Ducharme, Gabriel

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis and a fun read.

One tiny nit - I'd count Samarie Walker as a top payer who transferred out. She was definitely top 10, and IIRC, may even have been top ranked in some rankings before an injury moved her down a bit.

Thanks for the kind words. Walker was #10 by Hoopgurlz, #10 by ASGR and #8 by Bluestar. Technically top 10, but definitely on the fringe. She was ranked #1 as a junior but her stock dropped as she got older. She probably is the lone outlier for top 10 kids who left early, but pretty much every other kid ranked in the top 10 or higher has played their entire career at UCONN.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Thank you--I count 14 if Westbrook is back: Westbrook, Williams, ONO, Makurat, Griffin, Edwards, Muhl, Bueckers, McLean, DeBerry, Fudd, Poffenbarger, Ducharme, Gabriel

UCONN Scholly's.jpg

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be shocking to have 3 top 15 next season given there are two such players instate, but truth is the roster is getting congested so it might be a harder sell.
I think you'll get a solid class in 2022. SC only has 8 scholarship players on roster so I'd expect Dawn will take at least 3-4 kids, probably a couple of posts. I think most are expecting Watkins to commit since she'll fit in well once Boston/Amihere leave. Betts, Nnaji and Patterson all potentially have scholarship offers too and would likely compete for solid playing time and starting spots as sophomores. Cooper is also in state, but I agree that'll be a harder sell with Johnson/Rivers/Hall the class ahead of her.

Reaction Score
About 2 weeks ago I predicted Azzi signing with UCONN because:
1. Both her parents played big time BB in college & after and would know what to look for in potential colleges.
2. If Azzi was serious about her BB future the only college that made sense was UCONN.
3. Having Paige Beukers as a best friend would have discussions about playing together for 3 years. Winning Championships together.
I'm thrilled that Azzi Fudd made IMHO the best choice that was available for her!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom