Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

Reaction Score
UConn will always fare well with the top recruits as long as Geno is there. I believe 7 of the last 10 top ranked players committed to the Huskies out of high school. We tend to bring in 3-4 players a class. We've had big classes that weren't necessarily highly ranked (top 5). In cases where we've had smaller classes, say 1 or 2, they've always followed a very highly ranked class.

2014 - 5 (Wilson, White, Cuevas, Duckett, Cliney)
2015 - 1 (Colley)
2016 - 4 (Harris, Herbert-Harrigan, Bradshaw, Patrick)
2017 - 4 (Grissett, Williams, Jackson, Troup)
2018 - 3 (Henderson, Saxton, Wesolek)
2019 - 5 (Boston, Cooke, Beal, Amihere, Thompson)
2020 - 1 (Russell)
2021 - 4 (Johnson, Rivers, Feagin, Hall)
2022 - ?

I think our 2022 class will be 2 or 3 players and they'll be highly ranked.. but it won't be a huge monster class like 2014, 2019 or 2021.

That said, today is a big day for UConn. Although it's late in his career and he has nothing left to prove, Geno has clearly shown that he still has fire and can bring in the players he needs to win. Sets up for some big battles between the top programs in the years ahead.. and not just UConn and South Carolina, with recruiting leveling out among the top 5-6 programs, there will now likely be several programs with a realistic shot at the title for the next few years.

Wouldn't be shocking to have 3 top 15 next season given there are two such players instate, but truth is the roster is getting congested so it might be a harder sell.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's tradition to call the last player that wore the number you want to wear. Yes, Boykin did wear #35, but she never suited up or appeared in a game before she transferred.
So that would make Marci Czel (1998-2001) the last player to wear that number.

1605133419011.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From Geno on ESPN:

"I think her coaches and everyone that she's come in contact with have done a phenomenal job of getting her so fundamentally sound and so ready for college basketball," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "We're just absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to coach Azzi for the next four years."

Reaction Score
Let's belay the talk of four or five consecutive NCs. Injuries, homesickness, off-campus issues, family considerations, etc could impact the best laid plans.

All I am saying is don't schedule the coronation(s) yet.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow...............17,000+ views on this thread in 7.5 hours. I'd say there's more than just a passing interest in Azzi coming to UConn. She had lots of fans before today. At 11;00 am est, she picked up hundreds of thousands more all across the country. :) Welcome home Azzi.

Reaction Score
Pure speculation on my part here, but it seems like UConn recruiting is rather cyclical. Geno brings in one or two really good classes and is pretty successful at keeping them together. In the next two or three years of the cycle, his follow on recruit classes become rather thin (see the classes immediately following the Stewie, Mo, Morgan and the KLS Pheesa classes). I suspect this is because most elite recruits (with the exception of recruits who have the confidence to challenge established players for playing time) realize that they will have to "wait their turn" at UConn. They may decide to go to one of the other power programs that have more open rosters and more chances for court time as underclasswomen.

It will be interesting if that same sort of thing happens at South Carolina after Dawn's two recent monster classes. With Dawn being the USA Olympic team coach and SC's recent success, they could be considered the "shiny new thing" in WCBB so she might be able to sustain her cycle of top classes a bit longer than UConn. Geno is certainly a draw for recruits, but we unfortunately have to accept the fact that he is approaching retirement. He certainly has put together a good foundation for the next few years though.

I think it's been more "unlucky" than cyclical.

Boykin decommitted the last minute. No time to recruit.

In order to maintain balance upfront he gets transfer commits from Stevens and Camara. This blocks younger bigs from coming other than maybe one "big" player. Stevens only stays one year and Camara is just never able to play though year over year hope is held out.

Then the 2017 class - of the 4 players (guards and wings) rated as 97/98 by Hoopgurlz- only one ends up staying. This blocks future 2018 guard and wing recruits other than the #1 player in CWill.

Between the bigs that left early/unable to play and the 2017 class of guards and wings that transferred - it was just unlucky. It happens. The 2015 class according to hoogurlz UCONN had 1. 6, and 23. While 23 left - they picked up Stevens who was a 23 in 2014 and Camara who played well in SEC.
Add that up with 2017 in which he had 1,13,16, and 29 -- - (only 1 of the 4 remained) this is still solid recruiting imo and not cyclical. They just didn't "fit."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
auto correct sucks.
Yes it does. I post about 65% of my posts using my cell phone. The auto correct feature on it makes you look like you can't spell or use tenses properly. I hate it. You'd better re-read your comment AFTER you post it to avoid embarrassment. :confused:

Reaction Score
So she's coming? Glad to hear it!

Though a small part of me is bummed that I didn't get to use the phrase I would've used if she had gone elsewhere:

"Oh, Fuddlesticks!"

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Ok, now I get it...on her Instagram account it showed the 3 year old Azzi with cellophane wrap pinning her right arm to her side to use the left hand in in this video the sheer number of left drives and layups were pretty smooth to go with the righthand jumper shot...well played Tim/Katie Fudd, well played... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom