Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I presume that Azzi will wear #35 at UConn. That seems to be the Number that I see her wearing the most.

She'll most likely be the best player that ever wore that number at UConn. Prior players that wore #35

De’Janae Boykin (2015)
Marci Czel (98-01)
Kathy Ferrier (90-93)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All this because UConn joined the BigEast? Are the BE coaches REALLY happy UConn came back?

I truly believe they are for reasons already mentioned.
1. "Better teams make better leagues, so UConn's return is better for the Big East.
2. The Huskies bring attention; because of UConn, the American Athletic Conference received more of it over the past seven seasons than the Big East did. That's about to change.
3. More spotlight generally means better recruiting opportunities. BE coaches can now sell their recruits on the opportunity of playing UConn twice a year, and being on national TV, and the possibility of playing in front of a sell out crowd (when the circus comes to town, or they go to the circus in Storrs).
4. Better players means better teams. The elite nature of the Huskies' program will set a higher bar and force the more competitive teams in the Big East to elevate their level".

If you're a coach, and you want to be the best, you've got to play the best. UConn will be the BIGGEST game on every BE team's schedule. UConn will get every team's best shot. Every conference team wants to be the first to knock Goliath of his pedestal.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great day for Azzi Fudd and for UConn!

I was almost afraid to look. What a relief when I saw the title "Azzi Fudd to UCONN".

The level of talent and roster depth for the foreseeable future is truly remarkable.

Many of us were wringing our hands when in 2019 UConn only landed Aubrey and then belatedly - but wonderfully - Anna. Some whispered fears that UConn was old news, that it was nearing its expiration date.

Well, to paraphrase Mark Twain, rumors of the program`s death were greatly exaggerated.

In some sense, the disappointments of 2019 and the small classes in both 2018 and 2019 set UConn up perfectly for blockbuster classes in 2020 and 2021. The success of UConn players in the WNBA can`t be ignored either.

The combination of no fans for 2020-2021, plus Paige, Azzi, and company - wow, ticket sales for 2021-2022 should absolutely be through the roof! It will be PARTY TIME!!! Get on board!

What a day to be a UConn fan!!!!

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I presume that Azzi will wear #35 at UConn. That seems to be the Number that I see her wearing the most.

She'll most likely be the best player that ever wore that number at UConn. Prior players that wore #35

De’Janae Boykin (2015)
Marci Czel (98-01)
Kathy Ferrier (90-93)
Will she have to call Kathy Ferrier and ask permission?

Reaction Score
For those that didn't see the announcement, it was rather cut. She introduced her dog, Stewie, told us about herself, then joked about not announcing. Took the camera off her and then back on, she unzipped her UA hoodie to a UCONN shirt. Had her UCONN jersey hung on a UCONN backround and brought Stewie back with a UCONN shirt on. It wasn't a look-at-me announcement like some of you thought.

PS......... I have been truing to post it

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I guess starting in the 2021-22 Fox and Fox Sports along with CBSSports will be televising every game UConn except for the ones carried by ESPN. I fell sorry for SNY if this happens.

Reaction Score

De’Janae Boykin (2015)
Marci Czel (98-01)
Kathy Ferrier (90-93)
I Don't know why the Media Guide continues to list Marci Czel as wearing #35 - she wore #13!
1605124516847.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Doug Bonjour article with some nice quotes

“You look at UConn and their history of amazing players, and just the development that those players have had, that was really big for me,” Fudd said. “But also, it’s nice that UConn’s closer to home, and I have two really good friends up there right now and another girl in my grade.

“Getting to play in college and possibly winning national championships, and just to spend three or four years with some of my best friends, that was something I couldn’t turn down.”

Fudd said she told UConn coach Geno Auriemma her decision “pretty recently.” The school officially announced her signing on Wednesday, along with the three other members of the class.

“He was really excited,” Fudd said. “He was surprised when I told him because whenever they would ask me when I planned on signing, I never really had a set timetable. I always said, ‘Well, before I have to sign or before my birthday.’ ”

Bueckers — Fudd’s good friend and her teammate with USA Basketball — had a slightly different reaction.

“She cried a little bit,” Fudd said.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So what do we think is impacting this recruiting surge the most?

Geno having more time without National team commitments?

New conference?

Just natural ebb and flow of recruiting?

The hair. It is even more luxurious. ;)

Seriously, I think he went back to the basics that any recruit has to love to pass.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe UConn should split like IBM stocks and Geno and CD each take half and play under UConn G and UConn CD.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nah I see very little chance that streak is ever broken. We run into too many good programs now.

Agreed. You can put that record on the top shelf with the other "immortal" sports records that will NEVER be broken, right between Joe DiMaggio's MLB record of 56 consecutive games hitting streak, and Johnny Vander Meer's record of pitching 2 no-hitters in consecutive starts. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. You can put that record on the top shelf with the other sports records that will NEVER be broken.
There is one crazy record that is well within reach, and that's the consecutive conference wins record. Someone here will know the exact number, but I thought it was a Texas team winning something like 128 or 130 Big XXII games in a row. UConn's gotta be getting pretty close to that after not losing any games in the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom