Azzi and who | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi and who

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it time to simplify the system. I have not heard that the sytems of the coaches who won titles in 17, 18, and 19 were difficult to learn and yes I know they have won 11 with his system but times change....
The system must be adjusted every year to account for the varying talent level. That is the root cause of the problem. Let’s not put the cart in front of the horse. Let’s concentrate on recruiting the right horses to run a perfectly proven system. Other teams are overtaking us because we are lacking horse power not because they have better systems.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can you point to something indicating that Tara was the one to break the news? I thought the Jones family broke the news and Tara later confirmed it? It sounds wildly out of character for Tara to share private information about recruits - she's barely willing to give the most bare bones injury status updates about her players. And if the Fudds don't want to share Azzi's admissions news with the world, you can be darned sure Tara wouldn't... how exactly would that help in her efforts to land her at the Farm?
Actually no I cannot. You are asking an awful lot of me. You are asking me to be rational and clearly remember that it was the Jones family that broke that news when I’m still salty at Tara. At the end of the day Tara didn’t have to offer her a scholarship. :eek:

Reaction Score
What I conclude is that there will be at least 2-3 transfers out of Storrs in the next two years. That's too many top players to keep everyone's minutes expectations happy. It's an absolutely fantastic problem to have, but I just don't see that many top players sticking out Geno's practices to warm the bench for 36 minutes per game, and there's no universe Geno adopts CTT's ASU hockey-line substitutions. Are either Williams or ONO age-eligible to enter the draft after next season? That's the only way I see this team all staying together over the long-term.

I'd be careful. Posters who talk about UConn players transferring out get tossed.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I think taking bigger classes helps solve this issue since even if you lose some kids to transfer, typically a couple of kids will stick it out all 4 years and you'll have experienced upperclassmen on an annual basis. If you look at this year for example, a lot of players were thrown into situations they just weren't fully ready for and there was zero quality backup for them. ONO didn't have any post backup, Griffin was forced to play big minutes in some games that she wasn't ready for, and Williams shouldn't have been playing 35.6 mpg.

A lot of schools have gone the transfer and grad transfer route to shore up any holes, but that hasn't worked well for Geno so far.

If he takes on average 4 person classes and endures transfers, the roster may whittle down to 10-11 on an annual basis with a team makeup of something like 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores and 4 freshmen. In that scenario, you have veteran players who know his demands and his system, plus an influx of youth playing in smaller role unless they're studs and learn his system quickly. The freshmen and sophomores who aren't as good but want to play leave for their own greener pastures, and the best players stick around and become the experienced upperclassmen. Might not be exactly that breakdown, but wouldn't be surprised if that's his ideology going forward to help prevent situations like the 2019 and 2020 seasons where he really had zero quality depth.
Good analysis, but there's one critical thing to remember too: injuries. UConn has been pretty fortunate in the past few years to endure relatively few injuries to starting players aside from a few games missed by KLS. By contrast, just in the last two seasons, Stanford has lost four starting players to injuries for some or all of a season: Nadia Fingall and Lexie Hull last season, and Dijonai Carrington and Haley Jones this season. Or think of the pile of injuries Notre Dame has endured over the past few seasons. Hopefully UConn stays blessed but another reason to slightly overload on players, in addition to transfers, is the possibility of injuries.

Reaction Score
Thanks, appreciate it! Not sure about why you have reservations though about post game...Deberry is projected to be the top F/C in the class of 2021 and she stands 6-5. Plus there is Brady who is 6-3 and the #2 ranked kid in 2022. Not to mention 6-5 Gabriel and three athletic forwards in Griffin, McLean and Edwards.
My concerns are mainly with the big posts. When it comes to projections I don't pay much attention to the gurus. I trust MY eyes. First off I really like Brady. By the time she gets to college she'll be a classic power 4 and a pick and pop nightmare. With DeBerry, her HS competition is weak enough that she doesn't have to play 6-5 to control the game. OTOH, the AAU and USA level is a different story. IMO it showed she needs to get much stronger, laterally quicker, and play with more motor. If Auriemma gets that out of her that would be great. But that's why I'd want Betts for insurance and I don't feel that would be overstocking. Lastly, a couple trusted coaching friends have seen Gabriel several times and tell me she's athletic and works hard but will need a lot of fundamental and skill work to play at UConn level. I hope she can develop well and be a contributor.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Lastly, a couple trusted coaching friends have seen Gabriel several times and tell me she's athletic and works hard but will need a lot of fundamental and skill work to play at UConn level. I hope she can develop well and be a contributor.
Having athletic talent, size, and a strong work ethic are all that one should expect, given that she will have four years in college to develop basketball-specific skills and instincts. Given those raw materials to work with, I have faith in the UConn coaches to make her a very productive player.

She may not earn major minutes before her junior year. But if she can provide 8 to 10 minutes off the bench as a freshman, and not hurt the team during that time, that is all that should be immediately needed or expected.

Reaction Score
Having 13 scholarship players projected for 2021-22 and hoping to be at 14 or 15 is a large roster that he's building. The last time he had a roster with scholarship players that big was 19 years ago.

His 2022-23 roster already has 11 projected scholarship players with likely a push to land at least a couple more from the 2022 class and possibly 1-2 more from 2021, likely putting his roster at 13+ players.

The largest roster he's had in the last decade was 11 kids. He's building large rosters now that he wasn't previously. I'm not criticizing Geno, just pointing out his roster management style appears to be changing headed into 2021-22 and 2022-23.

And UCONN is recruiting as well as it has ever recruited. You guys have landed:
-3 of the last 4 top recruits
-brought in a #2 recruit in Westbrook via transfer
-Have a former #5 recruit in ONO
-have top 5 kids on board from 2021 and 2022

Then you have McLean, Edwards, Poffenbarger and Ducharme who are all ranked as top 25 kids by various outlets.

That ain't many misses if you ask me.
It’s not a large roster...it’s just a large roster for Geno cause he traditionally carries smaller ones. 15 is a full roster and anything less is a small roster.....factually. He’s going from small #s to normal ones not normal #s to large ones

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It’s not a large roster...it’s just a large roster for Geno cause he traditionally carries smaller ones. 15 is a full roster and anything less is a small roster.....factually. He’s going from small #s to normal ones not normal #s to large ones

Lol this is quite nitpicky and aside from the point, but 15 is the maximum number of players that can be on a roster. Most coaches keep 10-13 active scholarship players on its roster. Very few fill up all 15 spots with active players. So factually speaking, 15 is a large roster, not a normal roster.

Reaction Score
Lol this is quite nitpicky and aside from the point, but 15 is the maximum number of players that can be on a roster. Most coaches keep 10-13 active scholarship players on its roster. Very few fill up all 15 spots with active players. So factually speaking, 15 is a large roster, not a normal roster.
I think you might want to do a study on that because I would say its more like 12-14. UConn over the past 10 years has been way too small in roster and height. I want us to go back to 2000 and 2001 size rosters with height too.

Reaction Score
I think 11-13 is ideal, with 11 you can still practice with 10 even, with one injury. Everybody over 10 is probably blow out minutes only. With Megan's big recruiting class, if I remember right I believed Kyla and Molly were going to be 13 and 14 in my mind, but of course all but Megan departed and coming up short on a few recruits after that, and all of a sudden they were 7 and 8 on a thin bench instead.

When Kyla and Molly were signed they were not at the usual high ranking level. I saw that as getting a couple of smart, high effort, role players that didn't expect a significant role, but would be happy with the experience. Perhaps viewed as an upgrade from the Pulido/Lawlor type of walk on player, but not a threat to the top recruits for minutes.

If we are at the low end of the normal range in a given year, say 10, I would not mind recruiting one or two Kyla/Molly level players, where they don't expect to be major players, but if because of transfers or injuries they got some important minutes were ok and way better than a walk on. Grad transfers of modest ability could fill that role too.

Reaction Score
Since 1998, UConn has never had two straight classes of five recruits. There is a reason for that.
I'm not sure they ever had 4 years of horrendous recruting in a row where only 1 in the top 100, 0 4 year players, 2, and then 2. There is need of a correction and another 5 recruit class would get us back on track.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure they ever had 4 years of horrendous recruting in a row where only 1 in the top 100, 0 4 year players, 2, and then 2. There is need of a correction and another 5 recruit class would get us back on track.
Horrendous is a tad harsh. UCONN has also picked up some quality transfers in that span like Azura, Batouly and Evina. I'm all about the quality not quantity. UCONN has not had enough quality contributors to allow Geno to expand the rotation to say 7 players with a G/Wing and a reliable backup post player. No sense expanding the roster unless it is specifically to to fill the latter of those needs.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say UConn has had horrendous recruiting. Of the last 14 teams, every one of them has had at least one #1 recruit, nine of them had two or more #1 recruits, and one team had three (2018-19 with KLS, Megan, and CW). Going back to Stewie's freshman season eight years ago, only twice has a team had less than half of the nation's #1 recruits on it.

Reaction Score
Please don't distract by cherry picking a recruit here or a recruit there. I'm not disparaging the proverbial trees we got. They were and are great trees. What I am saying is the forest has been shrinking and we need to hit the nursery and plant some more quality trees!! I would like another 5 quality trees in '21 to build the forest.

I was also telling the flip side of the post that said we haven't done 2 5 recruit classes in a row by pointing out we haven't had 4 straight years like the past 4 either. Corrective action was required in '20 and there is still work to do on recruiting in '21 in my opinion. I want a NC and I don't care whether a teenage phenom gets the 38 minutes a game she thinks she deserves that forces a 10 or under roster...

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say UConn has had horrendous recruiting. Of the last 14 teams, every one of them has had at least one #1 recruit, nine of them had two or more #1 recruits, and one team had three (2018-19 with KLS, Megan, and CW). Going back to Stewie's freshman season eight years ago, only twice has a team had less than half of the nation's #1 recruits on it.
If I remember correctly, you need 5 players to start the game and an additional group of quality players in the rotation to win a NC.

Reaction Score
Please don't distract by cherry picking a recruit here or a recruit there. I'm not disparaging the proverbial trees we got. They were and are great trees. What I am saying is the forest has been shrinking and we need to hit the nursery and plant some more quality trees!! I would like another 5 quality trees in '21 to build the forest.

I was also telling the flip side of the post that said we haven't done 2 5 recruit classes in a row by pointing out we haven't had 4 straight years like the past 4 either. Corrective action was required in '20 and there is still work to do on recruiting in '21 in my opinion. I want a NC and I don't care whether a teenage phenom gets the 38 minutes a game she thinks she deserves that forces a 10 or under roster...

You referred to four years of “horrendous” recruiting. Sorry, that’s simply not true.

Reaction Score
This team has no seniors. What was the last year we did not have a senior day?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think you might want to do a study on that because I would say its more like 12-14. UConn over the past 10 years has been way too small in roster and height. I want us to go back to 2000 and 2001 size rosters with height too.

Programs like Louisville/Stanford usually max out their scholarships, but they're the exception, not the norm.

Look at the number of players who played in games for each of the top 10 programs this year:
South Carolina-11
Oregon-12
Baylor-11
Maryland-9
Louisville-13
UCONN-10
NC State-12
Mississippi State-12
Stanford-15
UCLA-12

Average is 11.7 per game, right in between 10-13. Only Louisville and Stanford had 13+, and Stanford has to fill all 15 scholarships while Walz has a unique style where he intentionally fills rosters every season.

And UCONN had ample size in the midst of this past decade. From 2012-15 he had two or all 3 of Dolson (6-5), Stewart (6-4 with crazy long arms) and Stokes (6-3 who played like 6-7). Not to mention 6-2 Morgan Tuck who could hold her own inside. But I agree, having quality bigs come off the bench can make a huge difference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This team has no seniors. What was the last year we did not have a senior day?
We'll still have one--for the managers, et al. No players. I recall another one. Was it 2003? Or more recent?

Reaction Score
I have an issue with 2-arguments that some a floating. (1) the players that Uconn- and some other schools- recruit are smart players; so, you do not need to revamped your system. Good coaching in my view is about bringing players up to par as the season progresses. There have been, recently, seasons when the talent level was not uneven and it placed a great deal of burden on a few players. In these situations numbers do not help- not a lot. Molly and Irwin we good players for the team-- and I am sure future Uconn teams will have theirs, but they were not to be critical players to win a championship. If they had to contribute points, minutes, etc. (2) Every player regardless of how good they are would like to start and play a lot of minutes. The players who are very good and want to play at the next level are also about development of their game. As long as Uconn can show that they are developing a player's talent they will get players who are willing to share minutes with others. None of the players who have transferred from Uconn have gone on to teams where they are killing it in minutes and points. Some have done better than others, but I doubt that we failed to win because of their leaving. And I have always maintained that Stevens felt that she should graduate with her class (Nurse and Gabby), rather than being a 5-year. Westbrook is equally positioned. Take Evelyn for example, most people here saw her as a failed offered but, were she given a scholarship to be a starter? help with substantial minutes? I would maintain that she was offered out of a different set of mutual interests. One, to help Ono; second, because Uconn would teach her things that would help her game in Europe. These are some of the little things that Uconn is good at doing. No, Geno did not see her as the missing piece for a championship.

So, transfers are difficult to read and people should stop throwing them forward mindlessly. Some have worked out for all parties-- players got better coaching and helped the team (ND, SC, Baylor, and Uconn). Others: deShield and Co.? Recent ones? And some players may leave for academic reasons- reasons that are covered up. And it is hard to stay in a place where you are not happy and cannot see that changing for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom