Azzi and who | The Boneyard

Azzi and who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If and when Azzi commits to UConn does that mean UConn is done with this recruiting class or is there potential for another recruit such as a big or small forward like Rayah Marshall, Kiki Iriafen or Teonni Key?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Those are two good questions. I'd like to know the answers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is a good question. But my guess is that the others commit before Azzi does. Don't forget about Kayla McPherson. I hope we have a class of at least 4. I love Amari, Saylor, and Caroline and want to add Azzi. If we miss on Azzi, I would like Kiki and/or Kayla. It may be tough to get Iriafen out of California.

Reaction Score
If Key commits to UConn, would that cause civil war in the Key household?

Reaction Score
I think a Hollingshead or Iriafen would be a good addition along with potentially 4 big guards if Fudd decides to join the party making another class of 5. This would get UConn caught up after a few small recruiting classes in a row. I think Hollingshead is more possible than getting Iriafen out of CA. I personally don't think we need another PG until the 2022 or 2023 class. Paige and Nika along with Makurat's unique skills will have that role in the offense locked up for awhile.

Reaction Score
Gamecock here.

Just checking in to the Fudd Thread of the Week.

Attachments

• 1591200821905.png
    1591200821905.png
    484 KB · Views: 246
Reaction Score
If not Azzi what about Kiki Rice I think it’s always good to have a senior point guard when that time rolls around. That still leaves a spot open for a forward with some size. Didn’t love the clips I saw of Marshall but I liked Iriafen, Key and Hollingshead better ,they seem to have more Bounce more energy . Hollingshead seems to have a better jumpshot than any of the others. Limited clips seen so others may have more informed insight.

Reaction Score
I tend to think its Fudd or bust. The roster would be at 13, with Westbrook draft eligible.

Reaction Score
I tend to think its Fudd or bust. The roster would be at 13, with Westbrook draft eligible.
After next year Williams is eligible if she has a good year she may decide to follow Megan Walker’s lead and go pro now we’re at 12: and if anyone decides to transfer we now have a short bench.

Reaction Score
If Key commits to UConn, would that cause civil war in the Key household?
Hoops girls doesn’t have Tennessee as one of the younger Key options. Some sisters just want to make their own way example Katie Lou

Reaction Score
I think a Hollingshead or Iriafen would be a good addition along with potentially 4 big guards if Fudd decides to join the party making another class of 5. This would get UConn caught up after a few small recruiting classes in a row. I think Hollingshead is more possible than getting Iriafen out of CA. I personally don't think we need another PG until the 2022 or 2023 class. Paige and Nika along with Makurat's unique skills will have that role in the offense locked up for awhile.
I agree with this. McPherson may be a great player, but one year from getting two PG's, relegates one of them to what appears to be mop-up minutes for three seasons. If several things happen then maybe, namely Azzi doesn't come, Paige gets used a lot at SG, and Evina goes for the WNBA leaving one more year of CW at SG. Not very likely.

Another big is probably a bigger need, but keeping your powder dry for subsequent years might make sense too. If Azzi commits I would lean towards staying with that hand, and see who may transfer later etc. If she doesn't come I would try for one of the two bigs and then be done for this year.

Reaction Score
Hoops girls doesn’t have Tennessee as one of the younger Key options. Some sisters just want to make their own way example Katie Lou
Then they are wrong . Teonni does have Tennessee listed as a finalist along with SC, NC state , UK and UCONN

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Gamecock here.

Just checking in to the Fudd Thread of the Week.
Fudd Thread of the Week? How about these Daily Threads? One was posted last evening around 7:45 and now this one today.

Oh, I haven't checked, so there could be more today...

I hope that she makes her verbal commitment soon so that we can get back to the "we need more 'bigs' " threads...

Reaction Score
Then they are wrong . Teonni does have Tennessee listed as a finalist along with SC, NC state , UK and UCONN
Kind of new to this . Where else do they show that kind of info.

Reaction Score
How about Azzi and Stanford? I think of Haley Jones that everyone thought she might go to UConn which gave me a bad taste, and I have no idea if there is mutual interest there except for her name given by her mom (Jennifer Azzi).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi is an excellent student, so Stanford makes sense. But I’ve not heard of any involvement. Azzi and family are keeping things quiet, so it’s possible. We’ll find out in time.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
After next year Williams is eligible if she has a good year she may decide to follow Megan Walker’s lead and go pro now we’re at 12: and if anyone decides to transfer we now have a short bench.

How?

Williams was born May 2000. She will not be 22 when the next draft occurs in 2021. Walker was born in 1998 so she was eligible for the 2020 draft, as she will turn 22 this year.

ONO was also born in 2000.

The only way either could be draft eligible is if she graduates a year early.

Even if Westbrook leaves after next year, the 2021-2022 roster (assuming no other decommits or transfers) is loaded in a way we haven`t seen in a long, long time. Adding more than one (you know who) from the 2021 recruiting class is unlikely in my view, and would restrict flexibility for 2022. It would also likely be subtraction by addition, just inviting decommits or transfers. Geno only has 200 minutes to play with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi is an excellent student, so Stanford makes sense. But I’ve not heard of any involvement. Azzi and family are keeping things quiet, so it’s possible. We’ll find out in time.

There has been mention of Stanford recruiting her in some articles, but definitely haven't heard anything that would suggest they are a front runner for her. I think Kiki Rice is more likely to be Stanford-bound than Azzi, as Kiki has been out to visit some and her aunt is a Stanford grad.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There has been mention of Stanford recruiting her in some articles, but definitely haven't heard anything that would suggest they are a front runner for her. I think Kiki Rice is more likely to be Stanford-bound than Azzi, as Kiki has been out to visit some and her aunt is a Stanford grad.
Kiki’s parents went to Yale. I think Yale, Princeton, and Stanford are likely to attract her.

She was the D.C. Gatorade POY as a freshman in both soccer and hoops (the latter aided by Azzi’s injury). She could be a 2-sport star for the Cardinal.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Rice and Fudd are indeed among our targets, and as others have speculated, I think Rice is more probable than Fudd, but hey, stranger things have happened. (though if Fudd verballed to Stanford I would fear for my existence on this board for a while...)

I actually think Iriafen is the most likely Stanford target of the three - everything about her background fits the Stanford mold, she's in California, and I feel like given the madness in the world, staying close to home has never seemed like a better idea... For those reasons, I suspect she's deciding between Stanford and (even closer and also academically strong) UCLA. Also, of the three, Iriafen is the only one with a confirmed admission. [CORRECTION: No admission info has been made public but Stanford WBB Twitter started following her recently, in the past they have done so only once a recruit has been admitted, and this would be the time of year she'd likely get admissions news, so there's at least circumstantial evidence of an admission.]

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rice and Fudd are indeed among our targets, and as others have speculated, I think Rice is more probable than Fudd, but hey, stranger things have happened. (though if Fudd verballed to Stanford I would fear for my existence on this board for a while...)

I actually think Iriafen is the most likely Stanford target of the three - everything about her background fits the Stanford mold, she's in California, and I feel like given the madness in the world, staying close to home has never seemed like a better idea... For those reasons, I suspect she's deciding between Stanford and (even closer and also academically strong) UCLA. Also, of the three, Iriafen is the only one with a confirmed admission.
Kiki Iriafen and Azzi are rising seniors. Kiki Rice is a rising sophomore. She probably doesn’t have much (duration-wise) of a high school record yet.

If Azzi doesn’t have a confirmed admission yet, that may be more due to lack of interest. Or Azzi being discreet.

Stanford should be allowed only one Kiki, at most. And they already had an Azzi.

If Azzi picks Stanford, I recommend going under cover for a while. Maybe 3-4 years. :)

Reaction Score
How?

Williams was born May 2000. She will not be 22 when the next draft occurs in 2021. Walker was born in 1998 so she was eligible for the 2020 draft, as she will turn 22 this year.

ONO was also born in 2000.

The only way either could be draft eligible is if she graduates a year early.

Even if Westbrook leaves after next year, the 2021-2022 roster (assuming no other decommits or transfers) is loaded in a way we haven`t seen in a long, long time. Adding more than one (you know who) from the 2021 recruiting class is unlikely in my view, and would restrict flexibility for 2022. It would also likely be subtraction by addition, just inviting decommits or transfers. Geno only has 200 minutes to play with.
I completely disagree. The game is changing and teams need to be larger and diverse in skill. We need to go back to the early 2000s when there were close to 15 players each year. Westbrook will go to wnba so a 5 person 2021 class is doable. I'd like to see players give 20ish extremely intense devastating minutes a game rather than what we have seen the last few years where we get 20 intense minutes before half and then 10-15 additional diminishing returns minutes. There are minutes to go around if we want a NC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If not Azzi what about Kiki Rice I think it’s always good to have a senior point guard when that time rolls around. That still leaves a spot open for a forward with some size. Didn’t love the clips I saw of Marshall but I liked Iriafen, Key and Hollingshead better ,they seem to have more Bounce more energy . Hollingshead seems to have a better jumpshot than any of the others. Limited clips seen so others may have more informed insight.
Kiki Rice is class of 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin