Azzi and who | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Azzi and who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good Lord? UCONN 2015? Lawd have mercy! Are you talking 2014-15 with Stokes and Chong coming off the bench or 2015-16 with Gabby, Napheesa, & Natalie, Saniya all coming off the bench?

What reality are you living in? In ours UConn played 6 in the 2015 title game. Are you saying that isn't true? And the important point is they won. You have been cherry-picking losing years to prove something something and you have now been shown to be horrendously wrong. For a theory to be accepted it needs to be true in all cases, not just those years that support you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What reality are you living in? In ours UConn played 6 in the 2015 title game. Are you saying that isn't true? And the important point is they won. You have been cherry-picking losing years to prove something something and you have now been shown to be horrendously wrong. For a theory to be accepted it needs to be true in all cases, not just those years that support you.
I'm living in this world where the box score clearly shows that UCONN played 7 players in the championship game.
https://uconn_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/champ.html

I'm also living in a world where Saniya Chong struggled with an IT band injury most of that season and did not make an appearance in the championship game.
I guess you and @oldude are going to claim only 6 players in the 2016 Championship game also?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your memory needs jogging. Please take a look at the 2015 championship box score vs ND. UConn started KML, Stewie, Mo, Tuck & Kia. Kiah Stokes played 10 minutes off the bench and made meaningful contributions to UConn’s effort. As I pointed out, freshman Gabby Williams played just 3 minutes with no significant contribution. Saniya did not play at all in that game. That clearly indicates UConn won a championship with only 6 players making meaningful contributions.

I never suggested the 2016 championship was achieved using only 6 players. During that season, UConn clearly had 8 contributors during their championship run until Lou went down with a broken foot.
Before you really twist your under garment into a even bigger knot, during the 2016 Championship game Saniya also only played 3 minutes. Yet by your own admission she was a contributor during the regular season. Saniya was a regular contributor during the regular 2014-15 season. Similar to KLS in 2015-16 Saniya was unable to go during the championship game due to IT band injury that troubled her all year long and into a better part of her next season. My memory is just fine! Both Kia Stokes and Saniya Chong started off the season in the starting line for the 2014-15 season. If you are going to try and convince me both were not contributors that season then clearly it is your memory that is leaking.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I took roster info from the American since it’s inception. I didn’t want to cherry pick teams and it’s probably the most diverse conference in the country for a # of reasons so I figured it would give us an accurate idea. Teams entered the AAC at different times so I just took data from the season they entered the league on. Again this is every teams roster info every season since the leagues inception.

*Average # of players on roster:

UCONN - 10.7

Cincy - 13.4
ECU - 13.7
Hous - 13.9
Mem - 13.0
SMU - 12.9
Temple - 12.9
Tulane - 12.5
Tulsa - 13.7
UCF - 13.0
USF - 14.3
WSU - 15.0

*Average of all other AAC teams - 13.5 players

Houston had a roster size of 14 or more players in 6 of their 7 seasons in the conference including a full roster of 15 once.

UCF had 14+ players 3 times in 7 seasons and twice had full 15 player rosters.

Tulsa had 14+ 3 times in their 6 seasons including a full 15 once.

Memphis had 14+ twice in 7 seasons and one of 15.

ECU had 14+ 4 times and 15 once in 6 seasons.

SMU had 14+ 4 times in 7 seasons.

Temple had 14+ 3 times in 7 seasons.

Wichita St was in the AAC for 3 seasons and had full 15 player rosters all 3 seasons.

USF had 14+ 6 out of 7 seasons with a full 15 players 3 times.

Cincinnati had 14+ 3 times and twice a full 15 player roster in their 7 seasons.

Those are the facts. You had said Geno was trending towards large rosters by potentially taking 12-13 players and all I said was really it’s him trending away from smaller rosters. I wasn’t being a jerk or confrontational at all but you insisted on repeatedly telling me how wrong I was and told me I needed to ‘do my homework’ so I did my homework.

Also you can plug in the majority of almost any team and the results are similar. Stanford always has 14+, Baylor, Maryland, South Carolina, Oregon, Miss St etc. Notre Dame is one other team that at times I know has used a smaller roster of 10ish. Hope this helps.

Props for actually coming back with data. Still though, you didn't include players sitting out due to transfer or walkons though which reduces those numbers.

Geno shooting for a roster of 13+ active scholarship players is a large roster, and most programs do not have 13-15 active scholarship players. Furthermore, most programs that do carry large rosters have a lot of filler players who aren't likely to ever play meaningful roles. None of Geno's projected roster consists of "filler" kids. He has a roster of 12-13 already assembled for 2021-22, with every single kid being ranked as a top 25 recruit by one of the main publications with the exception being Gabriel and Muhl. At any rate, that's the last I'll say on that since this is getting really off topic and detracting from the main topic in the argument. Hope you have a nice day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Before you really twist your under garment into a even bigger knot, during the 2016 Championship game Saniya also only played 3 minutes. Yet by your own admission she was a contributor during the regular season. Saniya was a regular contributor during the regular 2014-15 season. Similar to KLS in 2015-16 Saniya was unable to go during the championship game due to IT band injury that troubled her all year long and into a better part of her next season. My memory is just fine! Both Kia Stokes and Saniya Chong started off the season in the starting line for the 2014-15 season. If you are going to try and convince me both were not contributors that season then clearly it is your memory that is leaking.
So let me start by admitting to an error in calculating the 2016 team by remembering that Lou, Pheesa & Gabby were all reserves, which they were at one point or another. But at the time one of them always started. I never intended to imply that Saniya was a significant contributor, which she was not.

With that said, my second self-correction is that team only had 7 significant contributors, not 8, until Lou broke her foot in the first half of the National Semifinal. As a result, UConn’s 2016 championship was also won with only 6 significant contributors, bringing the total number of recent championships to 4 of 5, rather than 3 of 5.

Coco, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. You made the definitive statement that, “you need more than 6 contributors to win a National Championship.” That’s just not true. Alydar made the point that you are cherry-picking your data to suit your argument. He is exactly correct.

Surely you are not suggesting that Gabby’s 3 minutes, 0-1 shooting, 1PF was a significant contribution to the 2015 championship? In addition, the fact that Saniya had an IT band injury is immaterial, other than the fact she did not contribute in the 2015 championship run.

Setting aside UConn’s 6 player championships in 2015 & 2016, ND used exactly 6 players in both the semifinals and finals during their 2018 championship, although you could make a strong case that ND only got significant contributions from their starting 5. In the 2019 championship, you will note that Baylor’s box score lists 7 players. I would argue that Moon Ursin’s 8 minutes, 2 TO’s, 1 PF, 1 A, 2RB game was a marginal contribution at best. If you use the stat geek +/- rating, Ursin’s +/- for the championship game was 0.

I know you have a great deal of difficulty admitting when you are wrong, so let me help you out. You are absolutely wrong that a team cannot win a championship with only six contributors.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
But why should the greatest college bball program of all time put only 6 eggs in the basket and take that sort of risk? If just one gets slightly hurt or in foul trouble, disaster awaits. UConn should have 10 real contributors and 2-4 in the wings developing their game or rehabbing an injury at all times in my opinion

IMO you're wishing for "CAMELOT." "CAMELOT" doesn't exist.

First off- why not ask many other top-tier recruits why they don't want to sub behind other super recruits? It’s because they know they won't get playing time. - Right?

So I'd like to ask why if you are a number 1 recruit would you be okay playing 25 minutes a game if you are healthy? You heard in 2015-2016 a game in which the announcers said that Geno was furious after hearing that maybe a player was deliberately missing a free throw so they could stay in the blowout game, right? What does that tell us? It tells us that the stars want to play.

You cut back on stars minutes in order to play 10 players you can say goodbye to ever get players on a near consistent basis like Paige Bueckers and any other number one recruit thereafter.

The 2015 title game was in the balance vs ND. You want to play up to 10 players which means you are dropping big minutes of the combo of Stewart. Jefferson, KML and Tuck. You've just risked changing the momentum of the game. That along with the drop-off in talent - that may be enough to cost you the game. Not to mention if you lose because you pulled your superstars of Stewart, KML and Jefferson you are going to get ripped nationally, ripped on social media (which is big deal now as well) and the players that got pulled inwardly will be upset. In addition to -- what do you think other top 1 or 2 recruits are going to see?

They are going to see Geno got outcoached. They are going to see that Geno won't play his superstars when he needs to. --- So they'll begin to question why should they go to UCONN if he won't give “me” the minutes necessary in order to help “my” teammates (and great friends) win. So, why not go to the coach that outcoached him?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So let me start by admitting to an error in calculating the 2016 team by remembering that Lou, Pheesa & Gabby were all reserves, which they were at one point or another. But at the time one of them always started. I never intended to imply that Saniya was a significant contributor, which she was not.

With that said, my second self-correction is that team only had 7 significant contributors, not 8, until Lou broke her foot in the first half of the National Semifinal. As a result, UConn’s 2016 championship was also won with only 6 significant contributors, bringing the total number of recent championships to 4 of 5, rather than 3 of 5.

Coco, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. You made the definitive statement that, “you need more than 6 contributors to win a National Championship.” That’s just not true. Alydar made the point that you are cherry-picking your data to suit your argument. He is exactly correct.

Surely you are not suggesting that Gabby’s 3 minutes, 0-1 shooting, 1PF was a significant contribution to the 2015 championship? In addition, the fact that Saniya had an IT band injury is immaterial, other than the fact she did not contribute in the 2015 championship run.

Setting aside UConn’s 6 player championships in 2015 & 2016, ND used exactly 6 players in both the semifinals and finals during their 2018 championship, although you could make a strong case that ND only got significant contributions from their starting 5. In the 2019 championship, you will note that Baylor’s box score lists 7 players. I would argue that Moon Ursin’s 8 minutes, 2 TO’s, 1 PF, 1 A, 2RB game was a marginal contribution at best. If you use the stat geek +/- rating, Ursin’s +/- for the championship game was 0.

I know you have a great deal of difficulty admitting when you are wrong, so let me help you out. You are absolutely wrong that a team cannot win a championship with only six contributors.

Refer to the previously posted box score of the 2015 championship game. I will be available for further assistance in case you are unable to count to 7. Fact is UCONN played 7 players.

Much Like KLS in 2016 I will remind you that 2018 ND team had Lili Thompson who was hurt and unable to play in the tournament. Unless you don't think Lili was a contributor logging 24 minutes when ND played UCONN earlier in the season.

My apologies, the Baylor Championship box scores does list 7 player so I guess you can count that high.
Don't be discounting Moon Ursin as a contributor. It was her defense on Arike at the end of the game that prevented Arike from getting and And1 and sent Arike to the line where she missed the front end. Fact is Moon contributed plenty!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Refer to the previously posted box score of the 2015 championship game. I will be available for further assistance in case you are unable to count to 7. Fact is UCONN played 7 players.

Much Like KLS in 2016 I will remind you that 2018 ND team had Lili Thompson who was hurt and unable to play in the tournament. Unless you don't think Lili was a contributor logging 24 minutes when ND played UCONN earlier in the season.

My apologies, the Baylor Championship box scores does list 7 player so I guess you can count that high.
Don't be discounting Moon Ursin as a contributor. It was her defense on Arike at the end of the game that prevented Arike from getting and And1 and sent Arike to the line where she missed the front end. Fact is Moon contributed plenty!
Once again you deflect and obfuscate. Lou played in 37 of 38 games as a freshman, and as you seem to have difficulty keeping up with information, I subtracted Lou from the contributors to UConn’s 2016 championship.

If we’re counting Lili Thompson, who was injured 14 games into the season then why not count everyone on the roster who earned any PT anytime during the season? Thompson had absolutely nothing to do with ND’s 2018 championship

You have also changed your story. I thought we were talking about players who “contributed.” Now it appears you are satisfied if a player takes off their sweats and checks in at the scorers table.

Any player on Baylor’s roster could have hacked Ogunbowle on the arm. Your suggestion that Ursin contributed to Baylor’s victory by being out of position and committing a bad foul is absolutely hilarious.

As I indicated, I know it’s not in your DNA to admit a mistake. But I must confess I’m curious to see just how much rationalization you will continue to offer up in defense of your indefensible position.

Reaction Score
Props for actually coming back with data. Still though, you didn't include players sitting out due to transfer or walkons though which reduces those numbers.

Geno shooting for a roster of 13+ active scholarship players is a large roster, and most programs do not have 13-15 active scholarship players. Furthermore, most programs that do carry large rosters have a lot of filler players who aren't likely to ever play meaningful roles. None of Geno's projected roster consists of "filler" kids. He has a roster of 12-13 already assembled for 2021-22, with every single kid being ranked as a top 25 recruit by one of the main publications with the exception being Gabriel and Muhl. At any rate, that's the last I'll say on that since this is getting really off topic and detracting from the main topic in the argument. Hope you have a nice day.
I respect how you just totally ignored the data to stay dead on that hill of yours. I adjusted for walk one so again you are wrong. Your shooting percentage is 0 but with your logic of choosing whatever truth you choose you’re probably Stef curry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom