Azura says... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azura says...

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
When you join this program it’s not all about you. It’s about fulfilling your commitment to your coaches and teammates. Pheesa and Gabby had to make sacrifices just to accommodate a one and done player. This is the kind of thing that turns me off of the men’s game where it’s all hired mercenaries trying to find the shortest path between prom and the pros.

Hoopsfan,, I get your point of view. You join a team you commit to it. The team needs and goals come before the individual needs and goals. Every coach wants every member of their team to buy into and live that philosophy. But for a whole variety of reasons players may decide that their time on a team is done. It's only unfair to your teammates to stay on the team and put your goals first.

A simple question: If we had won the NC, with Azura making a major contribution to that effort, would you still be upset with her decision?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When you join this program it’s not all about you. It’s about fulfilling your commitment to your coaches and teammates. Pheesa and Gabby had to make sacrifices just to accommodate a one and done player. This is the kind of thing that turns me off of the men’s game where it’s all hired mercenaries trying to find the shortest path between prom and the pros.
That is one point of view.

The young woman graduated. She did not turn pro after one or two years of college ball, which is the real issue in the men’s hoop world. She sat out a year. One wonders how many people here would’ve decided if they were in her position.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
When you take an elite "sit one, play two" transfer like Stevens (or Kaela Davis or Allisha Gray), you are a fool if you do not consider they may only be at your school for one year.

I don't care what you agree on when they decide to transfer to your program or if they assure you they are staying. A player who is graduating and has the opportunity to be a lottery pick is always going to give serious consideration to going pro.

Geno & his staff are not dumb. They must have known all along that this was a very real possibility.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Oh please. Azurá signed up to play basketball; she didn’t take religious vows.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
1) She helped the team.
2) She seems like a nice kid.
Therefore,
3) I wish the best for her, in the WNBA and afterwards.

I try to look at this situation as if it were one of my own kids making the decision.
I find no fault with Z's decision.

Reaction Score
No more transfers Geno. This is getting ridiculous. Players are obviously just using this program now. Some come here for a year or two, win their championship, and then head off to easier places to play. Others transfer in with the hopes that it gives them a leg up for the pros, and when they feel they’ve taken enough from Geno and the program it’s hasta la vista teammates be damned. Unexpected roster changes are the most disruptive thing that can happen to a program. It screws up recruiting because you never know who you’re going to have from one year to the next.
I felt sort kind of bad for thinking the rise of transfers in the women's game was analogous to the OAD' s of the men's game (yes, I know there's a rise of transfers in men's game). The last two national champions arguably wouldn't have won without their transfers. Most of these transfers are either shore up recruiting shortcomings, (South Carolina, UConn), injuries, (Notre Dame) or players that transferred (UConn, Notre Dame).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Personally I wish her the best I mean this is her life and she calls the shots. She graduated, got the college experience, grew as a person and athlete. That being said I think she really sc**wed Geno up. I don’t think Geno was planning on this and this 100% sets UCONN back next year. We really have no solid no brained option to fill her shoes. We have a bunch of if’s, and maybes and hopefully’s to fill her spot next year. My guess is BC will get the nod, but one can easily say KI or pick someone they’ve only saw play in an all star game!!!
Great girl but man this decision stings.
Some very short "if's, maybe's and hopefully's" at that. One of my hopefully's is that 'Touly gets stronger and works harder on her inside game, because she's the number one option for the front line.

JordyG

Reaction Score
If she lands in Chicago, where Stef and Coates are, and Gabby winds up there too, Z should be in good shape.
A soft landing spot indeed. She can play more as a wing there. Not so much in Indiana where she'll be thrown inside to the wolves.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
But, but Geno is God, or so we’ve been told.

In this case he would only need to assume the mantle of pope, and grant a dispensation. ;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Stevens also sat out for one season and was a player in practice, going up against Collier and other players. She did not play in any games in 2016-17, yet was there contributing at every practice.

As an aside, a coach can leave a program and immediately coach at another place, whereas a player who transfers (not counting grad transfers) has to sit out for one season without playing. How is that not demonstrating a commitment to coaches and teammates, by being a constant force in practice even when the player cannot get into a game for a full year?

Morgan Tuck decided not to return for her final season (she had a medical redshirt). Is this any different, other than Tuck started at UConn, instead of transferring in.

And she also is earning her degree.

Reaction Score
I wish Azura all the best! She was an unexpected surprise two years ago and I'm thankful she became part of the UCONN family. Throughout both of her years here, she made huge contributions to the team's success. Moreover, the friendships and memories (e.g. Italy trip) she made will last her a lifetime (cliche but true! ;))

In life, we're sometimes faced with a difficult decision/crossroad that can profoundly shape our future and happiness. Knowing that our decisions have a ripple effect, the situation becomes even harder. Not only must we choose what is right for ourselves, but we must shoulder obligations and the expectations of others. It wasn't that long ago that I came out to my family-a decision that was 10 years in the making. Living up to their expectations was one of my biggest hurdles, especially since we're a conservative, religious family. And although the road hasn't been without its bumps, I am a better person because of it. While Azura's decision is clearly a different situation, I'm sure she faced a similar challenge in choosing what is best for her and how it might affect those around her (players, coaches, and even our crazy fan base :rolleyes:). And that process more than likely included some sleepless nights, prayers, and tears. But in the end, I have nothing but respect and appreciation for anyone who has suited up for the huskies. From the videos I've seen of the team, everyone loves Azura and she'll be missed for more than just her basketball skills. Would I have loved to see her play another year and hopefully capture a NC? Of course. But more importantly, I applaud her for having the courage to go with her heart. And I wish Azura, Gabby, and Kia nothing but success and happiness as they begin their new chapter in life.

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No more transfers Geno. This is getting ridiculous. Players are obviously just using this program now. Some come here for a year or two, win their championship, and then head off to easier places to play. Others transfer in with the hopes that it gives them a leg up for the pros, and when they feel they’ve taken enough from Geno and the program it’s hasta la vista teammates be damned. Unexpected roster changes are the most disruptive thing that can happen to a program. It screws up recruiting because you never know who you’re going to have from one year to the next.
Please name the UCONN players who transferred in and then left after a NC. Also, the ones who hoped they would get a leg up on the pros and then left. Please don't include Z.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to the NY Liberty game, when I get hit in the face with the ball as Kiah welcomes Z to the WNBA...:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to the NY Liberty game, when I get hit in the face with the ball as Kiah welcomes Z to the WNBA...:rolleyes:
In the past year or two, I think I recall Stewie blocking Maya, Kiah blocking Stewie, Maya blocking someone, and a few other iterations.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Wow, I just wonder if some can get over Z leaving on her own free will. News flash, she is still a young adult, and young adults usually make decisions that cause head scratching. However, we should thank her for her time at Connecticut, wish her the very best, have respect in her decision, and most importantly, remember that none of us want to be told by strangers what to do, when to do it, and how to do it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Wow, I just wonder if some can get over Z leaving on her own free will. News flash, she is still a young adult, and young adults usually make decisions that cause head scratching. However, we should thank her for her time at Connecticut, wish her the very best, have respect in her decision, and most importantly, remember that none of us want to be told by strangers what to do, when to do it, and how to do it.
Mostly true. No one likes it. But that's what life is, isn't it? Being told what, when, where, why, and how to do things; told a hundred times a day by strangers and strange things. She as all of us are used to it, I would hope.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It's not the fault of the players. Take it up with the NBA and NCAA. They're the ones who created this partnership whereby the colleges provide a full scale minor league for the NBA/WNBA. It will continue while billions are being made by both parties.

Reaction Score
Stevens also sat out for one season and was a player in practice, going up against Collier and other players. She did not play in any games in 2016-17, yet was there contributing at every practice.

As an aside, a coach can leave a program and immediately coach at another place, whereas a player who transfers (not counting grad transfers) has to sit out for one season without playing. How is that not demonstrating a commitment to coaches and teammates, by being a constant force in practice even when the player cannot get into a game for a full year?

I think most folks think that Azura put in two years of hard work and had every right to leave for the WNBA................the only question is whether she should have let Geno know earlier about her decision as her loss seriously effects next year's team

Reaction Score

I agree with you Nan. However, I look at this situation and ask would we still get to the F4 without Z? We probably have 1-2 losses going into the tourney, but I think we still make F4. So was it worth it for UConn. These situations should be a win-win and I’m not sure that is the case. We will never know what was said in private. Z is a Husky for life and I hope her the best.

Reaction Score
Hoopsfan,, I get your point of view. You join a team you commit to it. The team needs and goals come before the individual needs and goals. Every coach wants every member of their team to buy into and live that philosophy. But for a whole variety of reasons players may decide that their time on a team is done. It's only unfair to your teammates to stay on the team and put your goals first.

A simple question: If we had won the NC, with Azura making a major contribution to that effort, would you still be upset with her decision?

Z remains the only non-starter in the top 10. I wish her well in her career.

Reaction Score
I think most folks think that Azura put in two years of hard work and had every right to leave for the WNBA......the only question is whether she should have let Geno know earlier about her decision as her loss seriously effects next year's team
Its one thing to convey to Geno all year she is "up in the air" about returning & quite another to convey that she is planning on returning & then doing an abrupt 180 after the FF. I'm not sure what the truth is, but if its the latter, Gene has every right to be upset.

Reaction Score
Its one thing to convey to Geno all year she is "up in the air" about returning & quite another to convey that she is planning on returning & then doing an abrupt 180 after the FF. I'm not sure what the truth is, but if its the latter, Gene has every right to be upset.

Come to think of it, let's say she did tell Geno at the beginning of this season that she had already decided to leave............I'm not really sure what he could have done about it..........even if he then tried to recruit more front court help, whose to say that that freshman would even see the court

Reaction Score
I think most folks think that Azura put in two years of hard work and had every right to leave for the WNBA......the only question is whether she should have let Geno know earlier about her decision as her loss seriously effects next year's team

During this hypothetical early "sit-down" with Geno, he explains to Z that he will begin to start her and employ her considerable 6'-6" skills as a precursor to this and next year's team, heading toward two successive potential national championships, after which her draft status is elevated to number one. At that moment Z learns of her immense value to UCONN and agrees to focus on another year as the pivotal member of the HUSKIES. But that would have meant benching one of the other starters who had provided the improbable 2017 run to the Final Four. This presupposes too many things to be a win-win, but Z still should have started the second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom