Azura says... | The Boneyard

Azura says...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Z was not unhappy. She did not say she was happy.
ll%2Bjhon.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Z was not unhappy. She did not say she was happy.
Suggest that you tune in tonight for the draft. When Z’s name is called I’m sure you’ll be able to determine whether or not she’s happy.

Reaction Score
Personally I wish her the best I mean this is her life and she calls the shots. She graduated, got the college experience, grew as a person and athlete. That being said I think she really sc**wed Geno up. I don’t think Geno was planning on this and this 100% sets UCONN back next year. We really have no solid no brained option to fill her shoes. We have a bunch of if’s, and maybes and hopefully’s to fill her spot next year. My guess is BC will get the nod, but one can easily say KI or pick someone they’ve only saw play in an all star game!!!
Great girl but man this decision stings.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think there is much insight gained from the article. The only part that surprised me and "hints" at her being less happy then I thought is her quote

'In the beginning of the year, I had thought about it a little bit more than towards the end".

Perhaps she had more issues regarding coming off the bench, being asked to do things she may not be comfortable doing etc. than we thought (or at least me)

I hope she lands in a good situation where her skills are maximized.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think there is much insight gained from the article. The only part that surprised me and "hints" at her being less happy then I thought is her quote

'In the beginning of the year, I had thought about it a little bit more than towards the end".

Perhaps she had more issues regarding coming off the bench, being asked to do things she may not be comfortable doing etc. than we thought (or at least me)

Yes, I was surprised that Z would have been thinking about turning pro at the start of the season. Not exactly sure what to make of it.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We can speculate and read things into comments, but I see no reason not to take her at face value. While I certainly wish her all the best, I can now relate more to how Mr Applegate felt when he lost Joe Hardy.

Reaction Score
'Z' say's that she loved her experience at UConn ! Why not, free books, room & board, team travel & the best coaching, & basketball tutoring in women's basketball. Forget all about that last year of playing, $ comes first. I believe Geno got the short end of the stick!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't you think Geno considerers this entire episode a mistake....

Depends on who you direct the word "mistake" to.

Geno had every reason to go after Z as an excellent talent who he can further develop as well as becoming a major mismatch nightmare that could help us win multiple NC's . In assessing her season, I think she was pretty much where Geno thought she would be on her growth as he tried to make her a complete player although her outside shooting never kicked in to give more balance to her game (ie Stewie). Geno definitely thought she would be back and that she needs one more year to reach her real potential.

In summary, Geno most likely in his mind thinks it is Azura that made the mistake. On the other hand, it is not like she will not be a good player in the WNBA over time. She will learn what she needs to do to excel in the WNBA if she lands in a good position.

Reaction Score
I wonder if academics played a role in this too. Since she will graduate in May or this summer, she would have to be in a graduate program to continue with the UConn team. That may not be appealing to her. I dont recall what her major is, but if getting one year of grad work is not important to her non-basketball plans, going the grad route may have been a disincentive.

I, too, feel she would have become a much better player staying than with the coaching she will get in the pros or overseas (some of which is simply a time issue) however she will be playing professionally and making money a year sooner. I guess it is up to her at this point to have the insight, resolve and self-discipline to continue to improve her game. I wish her the best.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't you think Geno considerers this entire episode a mistake....
I don't. Geno has been a part of this long enough to realize that kids make decisions as to what is best for them and that may not always jib up with his opinion or needs. It is a part of the business.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Maybe Z looked at the draft this year and next, and similar to Jewell Loyd, decided that it would be best for her to declare this year and not wait. If she's set to graduate this year, learned a lot on the court and from the coaches for the past two years, then why not.

Reaction Score
It's fun to see how many are trying to separate the gold from the dross here. She gave the Program 2 good years; one year sitting out and practicing with the team-- helping to make them better (from many mouths) and one playing with the team. As she pointed out-- I am a graduating senior. Yes, it would be nice to have her for as long as she is eligible. But it is the selfishness in Us speaking. I would think there are a number of good WNBA coaches who can work wonders (as Geno)-- no arrested development on the horizon, post-Uconn. Has she screwed the team? I seriously doubt that they passed over a 6.5+ player bec they had Z. And, her status on the team probably would not change-- it will be Collier and Samuelson (w/ ), The senior (Nurse, Gabby and Z) class has left.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

If she lands in Chicago, where Stef and Coates are, and Gabby winds up there too, Z should be in good shape.

Reaction Score
No more transfers Geno. This is getting ridiculous. Players are obviously just using this program now. Some come here for a year or two, win their championship, and then head off to easier places to play. Others transfer in with the hopes that it gives them a leg up for the pros, and when they feel they’ve taken enough from Geno and the program it’s hasta la vista teammates be damned. Unexpected roster changes are the most disruptive thing that can happen to a program. It screws up recruiting because you never know who you’re going to have from one year to the next.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How horrible for a young person to follow a dream. She has graduated college and will have a relatively short slice of her hopefully long life to play pro ball. Most kids playing big time college hoops have pro ball on their minds. Not that many are locks for the chance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No more transfers Geno. This is getting ridiculous. Players are obviously just using this program now. Some come here for a year or two, win their championship, and then head off to easier places to play. Others transfer in with the hopes that it gives them a leg up for the pros, and when they feel they’ve taken enough from Geno and the program it’s hasta la vista teammates be damned. Unexpected roster changes are the most disruptive thing that can happen to a program. It screws up recruiting because you never know who you’re going to have from one year to the next.
I know kids who've graduated college and are poised to move on to the career opportunity of their dreams can be so selfish.

Reaction Score
I know kids who've graduated college and are poised to move on to the career opportunity of their dreams can be so selfish.
When you join this program it’s not all about you. It’s about fulfilling your commitment to your coaches and teammates. Pheesa and Gabby had to make sacrifices just to accommodate a one and done player. This is the kind of thing that turns me off of the men’s game where it’s all hired mercenaries trying to find the shortest path between prom and the pros.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom