Azurá Stevens hopes practice leads to perfection | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azurá Stevens hopes practice leads to perfection

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
No doubt there is better coaching there but you opened the door to how
much is to much. Duke may have had a decent shot at it all this year and
that would have been much better for the game. If the fellers Azura put
out had said NO she probably would be at Duke today.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Her third party contacts or feelers were given a welcome on your end
which helped her in the decision to leave.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I disagree with the last bit. I am pretty sure she decided to leave Duke before she had a clue where she was going, and I am sure she had no idea she would get an offer from UConn before she decided to leave Duke.
With the very good year Duke is having on the court, people seem to be forgetting all the issues including the internal investigation of JPM that have been apparent and documented over the last 12 months. Let alone the parade of players and assistants who have left that program. I am happy for the players that they are having a revival year, but I still think in general JPM is a liability to the program.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree. Lou is fine leading a fast break when the defense is not set. Against a set defense with fast guards poking and grinding, even if she does not lose possession, it wastes tons of energy. Having 2 true guards in the long run is very important imho. In the end, I feel that Gabby is best suited mentally and physically to come off the bench. She is the best to provide instant energy and impact all over the court and I do not see her upset if that is what the team needs. Even off the bench, she would get plenty of minutes.

However, this discussion is moot since Geno will never let his "heart" rule his head.

Based on observation alone, the best players who play best as a team will ultimately play the most.
It's possible only Lou and Gabby will be All Americans this year, Collier could be moved to the bench next year.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
I disagree with the last bit. I am pretty sure she decided to leave Duke before she had a clue where she was going, and I am sure she had no idea she would get an offer from UConn before she decided to leave Duke.
With the very good year Duke is having on the court, people seem to be forgetting all the issues including the internal investigation of JPM that have been apparent and documented over the last 12 months. Let alone the parade of players and assistants who have left that program. I am happy for the players that they are having a revival year, but I still think in general JPM is a liability to the program.

She is to the Duke program but coach P would over all ranks in the top 10% of
all coaches. Azura left for one reason her professional carrier under the best
coach with assurances to be accepted .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
handle the ball enough in 90% of the games to play there.

Heck, 90% of the games aren't games. You build a starting 5 to play the 10%. Your point about how different UConn's floor movement is is well taken however. I would not put anything past Geno and Co. next year.

Reaction Score
From Carl Adamec:

"The coaches have done an amazing job, especially CD and Marisa, trying to help me with my game," Stevens said. "They never cast me to the side. They're always helping me as if I am playing in games. And my teammates treat me like I'm playing. When I'm out there with them in practice, we're all in this together. When I'm on the bench in the game they look at me for support. There's no stigma that I'm not playing.

"I have definitely made strides. I'm learning to go harder, play like a UConn player, which is definitely a challenge but it's fun when you work so hard for something and you see the rewards. I'm waiting for that next year."

Transfer Stevens hopes practice leads to perfection
I like that article--and like OUR new stars --who transferred in to Uconn--really positive about Z.

Reaction Score
Pheesa on the bench? I think it more likely that Geno will convince the NCAA to revive women's basketball temporarily as played by 6 women, 3 in front court and 3 in back court...
YES but they couldn't cross the center line. It is a bit unbelievable that some fans believe the kids that pulled off the greatest magic act in Uconn history will be sitting on the bench come next year. It may be a different model for Geno to use 15 super duper kids--it may be difficult for the staff and the players --but I'm sure ALL will get what they DESERVE---with all the implications that may suggest.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Will we have 15 kids next year? I hope so, but it wouldn't surprise me if we had 1 or 2 transfers. Having depth for once would feel really, really good.

Reaction Score

Wah, wah wah....And that's another.... UConn's bad for the game !!!
UConn does not seek transfers they seek UConn.
Players of the caliber that have transferred from Duke speaks for itself ...One should not blame the school they moved on to.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Playing against Z in practice gets Gabby et al. ready to face A'ja Wilson.

I heard somewhere that Geno agreed to accept Z if she promised to play 2 years. I don't know if that's true, but I hope it is.

Early this season, I thought next year's starters would include Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, and Lou. I don't think any of them has done anything to get "demoted." Who will be the 5th starter? Early on, I thought it would be Crystal. Then, others on the BY convinced me that Z is too good not to start. More recently, one of the eminent posters has me reconsidering Crystal. The following year, we lose Gabby and Kia. Who steps into their slots? Z and Meg.

I think Geno goes at least 9 deep next year. The starters plus Crystal or Z, and Nat, Batouly, and Meg. The other frosh will get worked in slowly and will compete with Molly and Kyla.

Reaction Score

Even though you are a Duke fan, I take it that you did not attend Duke.

Reaction Score
I think Geno goes at least 9 deep next year. The starters plus Crystal or Z, and Nat, Batouly, and Meg. The other frosh will get worked in slowly and will compete with Molly and Kyla.

There is a great deal of merit to what you state. I think that Geno will have less angst next year because of the strength of his bench. The foul trouble issue will virtually disappear; rotation could be two or three at a time to rest players, and fourth quarter scoring could be really high.

Don't count out Kyla and Molly just yet. Kyla may surprise everyone with a strong uptick in her skill sets and confidence.

I sure am anxious to see Azura play and to watch Comara come in and contribute.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The size next year provided by Z, Batouly and also Walker along with the return of the Core-4 as well as added depth will eliminate any disadvantage that the Huskies face this season against teams like Baylor & SC.

While I'm loving every minute of this season I can't wait for next season.

Reaction Score
Lou's a guard as much as Stewie was a guard. That she doesn't dribble the ball off her feet doesn't mean you want her as a ball handler. Not sure where this idea that she can suddenly play a guard position for extended periods at this level came from. Lou would get her lunch money stolen and sent packing back to Cali crying by smaller quicker guards.
She was listed as a finalist for the Nancy Lieberman award last week. Crazy.... but true. :eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She was listed as a finalist for the Nancy Lieberman award last week. Crazy... but true. :eek:
I really do see next year's starters as the Core-4 + Z. Lou has an excellent handle, and at 6'3" she will create significant matchup problems for opposing teams at the 2.

Crystal still has a ways to go before Geno trusts her. While I would hope that she establishes herself as the 1st guard off the bench, IMO both Walker & Coombs will be pushing hard for playing time once they get to Storrs setting up an intense competition for minutes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Any coach that would have refused to consider Azura Stevens as a transfer to their program should be fired immediately.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I doubt Geno made her promise to commit for 2 years. He wants what is best for his players. Morgan Tuck had another year of eligibility, he definitely could have used her, yet he thought about her knees and what was best for her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The size next year provided by Z, Batouly and also Walker along with the return of the Core-4 as well as added depth will eliminate any disadvantage that the Huskies face this season against teams like Baylor & SC.

While I'm loving every minute of this season I can't wait for next season.
Yes you can wait oldude. You have no choice.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Any coach that would have refused to consider Azura Stevens as a transfer to their program should be fired immediately.
There was only one team under consideration. Again how much is to
much for our game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom