Azurá Stevens hopes practice leads to perfection | The Boneyard

Azurá Stevens hopes practice leads to perfection

Reaction Score
From Carl Adamec:

"The coaches have done an amazing job, especially CD and Marisa, trying to help me with my game," Stevens said. "They never cast me to the side. They're always helping me as if I am playing in games. And my teammates treat me like I'm playing. When I'm out there with them in practice, we're all in this together. When I'm on the bench in the game they look at me for support. There's no stigma that I'm not playing.

"I have definitely made strides. I'm learning to go harder, play like a UConn player, which is definitely a challenge but it's fun when you work so hard for something and you see the rewards. I'm waiting for that next year."

Transfer Stevens hopes practice leads to perfection

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That's a really good and interesting piece. Stevens really seems to admire and respect the culture and be quite content with her decision.

I'd say giddy and it is definitely mutual (Geno is almost jumping out of his skin). :D:D:D. It is great to see our program through the eyes of our transfers (especially from a national program). Never forget how unique our program is and the efforts of our coaches to improve and push all our players to their maximum potential. :)

Reaction Score
From Carl Adamec:

"The coaches have done an amazing job, especially CD and Marisa, trying to help me with my game," Stevens said. "They never cast me to the side. They're always helping me as if I am playing in games. And my teammates treat me like I'm playing. When I'm out there with them in practice, we're all in this together. When I'm on the bench in the game they look at me for support. There's no stigma that I'm not playing.

"I have definitely made strides. I'm learning to go harder, play like a UConn player, which is definitely a challenge but it's fun when you work so hard for something and you see the rewards. I'm waiting for that next year."

Transfer Stevens hopes practice leads to perfection
I can hardly wait until next season. With her great attitude, and her obvious basketball skills she may become a defensive and offensive threat not seen since the days of Stewie.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
She has the potential to be one of the all time greats with the coaching and attention she is receiving. She has it all to become a very special play a NPOY potential. So does Lou and Phessa along with possibly Walker. This could be ... what a team...again. As good as we are this season it may be hard to imagine next season. We could have the number one and two teams all in one next season and then the following two seasons with the recruits who have verballed and who we are looking to get . Well thats about 12 more years of stardom.

" You shoot for the moon and if you miss.....you end up with the stars"

Reaction Score
Excellent piece! Aside from the physical/basketball skills, Z sounds like she's quite a mature young lady. Nice to hear someone who's been universally acclaimed for years talk about how much she's learned, in a very short time, from the program in general and the specific coaching she's been receiving. I think the bit I liked the most was how well she's embraced the "team first", family culture of UConn WBB. Clearly she's got it figured out, but her comments about the program, individual coaching, her own progress and the team culture have to be an effective recruiting tool for the type of player the program seeks. Her career will be what it will be and the team will be what it will be with her in the line-up. It's interesting to speculate about her impact, but for me it's more fun to watch how a team's personality evolves with each new season.

Reaction Score
"Z is one of those people who if you can guard her, you can guard anyone in the country pretty much," Williams said. "She's a huge threat inside with her height and the way she can finish. It's hard to close out on her because she has a foot on you. She makes things more competitive. You really have to step your game up when she's at practice."

This quote is what really made the article for me. To hear that from someone like Gabby, who is such an incredible player. I feel like how I did when we signed the 2012 class. I, like Tony, was very aware of what was set to come. I am so excited for the next few years.

Edited to remove my opinion on the starting lineup. I really just can't even figure that one out. Good Luck Geno. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Z is one of those people who if you can guard her, you can guard anyone in the country pretty much," Williams said. "She's a huge threat inside with her height and the way she can finish. It's hard to close out on her because she has a foot on you. She makes things more competitive. You really have to step your game up when she's at practice."

This quote is what really made the article for me. To hear that from someone like Gabby, who is such an incredible player. It really is insane to think of a starting lineup of Crystal, Kia, KLS, Napheesa and Azura. That's what my bet is for next year. I feel like how I did when we signed the 2012 class. I, like Tony, was very aware of what was set to come. I am so excited for the next few years.

Not sure how you keep Gabby out of any line up at UConn? Thinking KLS can pass/handle well enough to fit at the 2 and they won't be pressed ever so only need to start one PG, Crystal will be 1st guard off the bench and that 5 will lethal.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you keep Gabby out of any line up at UConn? Thinking KLS can pass/handle well enough to fit at the 2 and they won't be pressed ever so only need to start one PG, Crystal will be 1st guard off the bench and that 5 will lethal.

UGH! I knew I was forgetting something! It's even funnier since I said how incredible she is in the post lol. Will correct.

Reaction Score
I am almost more excited by the expectation of next season because of the talent that this team will be able to put on the floor. This season has already exceeded my expectations by a wide margin including the leap in performance by the five starters. Amazing!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it has to be an advantage for Z that there are two of them going through the process together - just like single freshman classes can be a little tough because you have no one to share with, individual transfers have it harder. Saniya probably would have handled UConn better her first few years if she had a fellow classmate.

Reaction Score
Lou's a guard as much as Stewie was a guard. That she doesn't dribble the ball off her feet doesn't mean you want her as a ball handler. Not sure where this idea that she can suddenly play a guard position for extended periods at this level came from. Lou would get her lunch money stolen and sent packing back to Cali crying by smaller quicker guards.

Reaction Score
Lou's a guard as much as Stewie was a guard. That she doesn't dribble the ball off her feet doesn't mean you want her as a ball handler. Not sure where this idea that she can suddenly play a guard position for extended periods at this level came from. Lou would get her lunch money stolen and sent packing back to Cali crying by smaller quicker guards.

Huh? This isn't that tough, no one guards UConn like UConn guards them. You don't have to be a "guard" to be the 2 in that system. The ball hardly touches the ground and it's hilarious you think she wouldn't be able to handle the ball enough in 90% of the games to play there. Im curious as to where the idea would be she couldn't handle the position? I watch the games, rarely are there 2 defenders on the other team which would create the issues you speak of, if at all. If they are hawking her she will recognize the other mismatches and get the ball in the right place. She will also shoot over any pesky defender, this really isn't a question for Geno it's just what he prefers. He may prefer to have 2 "real" guards in your definition but instead he may just want to throw out his best 5 and make them pay quickly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Definitely agree. Lou is fine leading a fast break when the defense is not set. Against a set defense with fast guards poking and grinding, even if she does not lose possession, it wastes tons of energy. Having 2 true guards in the long run is very important imho. In the end, I feel that Gabby is best suited mentally and physically to come off the bench. She is the best to provide instant energy and impact all over the court and I do not see her upset if that is what the team needs. Even off the bench, she would get plenty of minutes.

However, this discussion is moot since Geno will never let his "heart" rule his head.

Based on observation alone, the best players who play best as a team will ultimately play the most.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree. Lou is fine leading a fast break when the defense is not set. Against a set defense with fast guards poking and grinding, even if she does not lose possession, it wastes tons of energy. Having 2 true guards in the long run is very important imho. In the end, I feel that Gabby is best suited mentally and physically to come off the bench. She is the best to provide instant energy and impact all over the court and I do not see her upset if that is what the team needs. Even off the bench, she would get plenty of minutes.

However, this discussion is moot since Geno will never let his "heart" rule his head.

Based on observation alone, the best players who play best as a team will ultimately play the most.

The only potential player coming off the bench, if indeed anyone feels the need to have 2 guards would be Stevens. Why in the world would anyone keep your best all around player on the bench to start the game? This thought simply amazes me, lets take 4 minutes from her in order to be sure we have 2 guards on the court? lol... So you do understand the way you fight Lou being the 2 right? If she is being guarded by a small ball hawking guard you post her up and she scores at will. I can promise you the person guarding Gabby will not be good enough to keep her form bouncing it twice and helping Nurse at the beginning of the game. No team plays man like UConn, there are so many things they can do to offset the need to have 2 guards, they've done it so many times before this year. Put your 5 best on the floor, no other way to play it. Maybe Crystal is one of those anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only potential player coming off the bench, if indeed anyone feels the need to have 2 guards would be Stevens. Why in the world would anyone keep your best all around player on the bench to start the game? This thought simply amazes me, lets take 4 minutes from her in order to be sure we have 2 guards on the court? lol.. So you do understand the way you fight Lou being the 2 right? If she is being guarded by a small ball hawking guard you post her up and she scores at will. I can promise you the person guarding Gabby will not be good enough to keep her form bouncing it twice and helping Nurse at the beginning of the game. No team plays man like UConn, there are so many things they can do to offset the need to have 2 guards, they've done it so many times before this year. Put your 5 best on the floor, no other way to play it. Maybe Crystal is one of those anyway.
I thought it was Geno that said something like great guard play wins championships, and I don't recall a time where he didn't have two true guards in the starting line up. Though I'm sure one of the folks who have been watching this team for longer than I've been alive can tell us. I'd hate for Gabby to go to the bench in her senior season because unless she makes first team AA this season that would all but guarantee no HoH for Gabby. Also consider that we're losing our fastest starter - Chong - so depending on who gets what starting spot determines how much slower the team gets next year.

Reaction Score
I can hardly wait until next season. With her great attitude, and her obvious basketball skills she may become a defensive and offensive threat not seen since the days of Stewie.
Great attitude works especially well with great altitude. She's got both.

Reaction Score
UConn bad for the game? Hardly. Azura explains exactly why UConn has been so good for WCBB:
...this team is so amazing and this program is so wonderful that, surprisingly, it's been easy to sit out. It's a show every night. I see how hard we work in practice every day. To see how that work translates to the games is amazing.

It's a show every night.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UConn had better turn it on this period or the starters may play late into the 3rd.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Just about to say the pace is excellent starting the 2nd and Nat travels.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not Kia's best game so far nor Nat's. Crystal Dangerfield being punished with bench duty so far.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Love the team's effort so far this period on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
From Carl Adamec:

All other future All-American freshmen and sophomores playing elsewhere, pay attention! Give up on your current coach and apply for transfer to UConn. Hurry! Spaces are extremely limited and only the very best will be considered!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom