Awak Kuier 2019 or 2020? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Awak Kuier 2019 or 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Mark Williams of PBR has Kuier as the #1 player in her class overall, not just internationally. Williams is PBR's international scout.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That is a far different point than the one I was making and the one that @Pleble made. Kuier may very well be number 1 internationally. @Plebe point was that a player of Kuier skill level will likely stay in Europe and turn pro. Anna Makurat and Satou Sabally did not.

Don't know but would guess that playing in the W is a golden ticket to a bigger contract Europe, Aus, China.

What's the best path to the W? And which coaching staff will prepare you best?

Maybe Oregon gets so many top foreign players because they play a style suited to Euro ball?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't know but would guess that playing in the W is a golden ticket to a bigger contract Europe, Aus, China.
What's the best path to the W? And which coaching staff will prepare you best?
Maybe Oregon gets so many top foreign players because they play a style suited to Euro ball?
"Best is subjective". "Shortest" path to the W for 18 year old player is to play 1 year professionally and forgo college-Eziyoda Magbegor is the latest example of that 19 YO playing with the Storm. Which coaching staff best prepares you for the W or Euro ball? I think there is enough evidence that UCONN is the right answer for both. I'm can't find any evidence to suggest that Oregon even belongs in that conversation as of right now for best preparing WNBA or Euro players. Kia Nurse is a WNBA All-Star starter in her second season in the W. I don't see Sabrina being on this same trajectory.

Reaction Score
She looked 6'7" in that video. One hundred ninety-four cms is just under 6'4.5"
With 2.54 cm./inch---at 194 cms it appears she is 6 .36 ft tall or 6 ft4.32 inches. the quesion is: Is this with flats or heels??

Reaction Score
"Best is subjective". "Shortest" path to the W for 18 year old player is to play 1 year professionally and forgo college-Eziyoda Magbegor is the latest example of that 19 YO playing with the Storm. Which coaching staff best prepares you for the W or Euro ball? I think there is enough evidence that UCONN is the right answer for both. I'm can't find any evidence to suggest that Oregon even belongs in that conversation as of right now for best preparing WNBA or Euro players. Kia Nurse is a WNBA All-Star starter in her second season in the W. I don't see Sabrina being on this same trajectory.
I will say in watching the University Games, Magbegor looked like she had a LOT of work to do. She definitely didn’t blow me away, and it wasn’t like Mississippi State’s big were all stars. She would have benefited from a few years of college ball.

Regarding Ionescu, she is a much better college player than Kia, but IMO too early to say she isn’t on the same trajectory. Not to mention Kia has benefited from DT, Stewart, etc being out.

Reaction Score
No expectations ensures that you will never be disappointed. Please allow some room for us kvetchers who occasionally go out on a limb, get excited about these potential UCONN recruits and are perfectly ok with being wrong in what we predicted or expected. We have plenty of company on that limb including Geno because is was he who pronounced Natalie a "game changer" & Courtney "the best shooter" in the class.
You are among the minority that speaks the truth of Geno's preseason announcements over the years. He tends to over hype some incoming mostly to MY disappointment. But that limb has me hanging by threads on CW and now Ania. With me it is not expectation but wishes/desires but with CW it was what I thought I saw. I'm not one iota disappointed. Her personality alone will keep me satisified. I hope I may say the same about Westbrook, Evelyn, Touly (this year), Irwin (this year), Molly (this year) and Ania. i KNOw my announcements about Irwin and Bent are more in tune with freshman preseason with Geno, but I'd rather hope for the best and accept the rest with 2 so long with Geno.

Reaction Score
I will say in watching the University Games, Magbegor looked like she had a LOT of work to do. She definitely didn’t blow me away, and it wasn’t like Mississippi State’s big were all stars. She would have benefited from a few years of college ball.

Regarding Ionescu, she is a much better college player than Kia, but IMO too early to say she isn’t on the same trajectory. Not to mention Kia has benefited from DT, Stewart, etc being out.
Ionescu, I won't deny she is an exceptionlly good College player, with limitation. Kia, it depends on what you call a very very good College player. True she played in the shadow of some truly greats but from Freshman year forward she proved she was more than your average excellent College player. As a pro she is proving she is among the best in the land. We'll see in 3 years if Ionescu lives up to Kia. My issue with Ionescu is: she gets too selfish during crunch times when MAYBE a player or 2 could have seriously helped win a game or 3 dozen. DT she isn't. Stewie she isn't--but very good she is.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
With 2.54 cm./inch---at 194 cms it appears she is 6 .36 ft tall or 6 ft4.32 inches. the quesion is: Is this with flats or heels??
Ya got me. I'm stumped. :confused:

Reaction Score
Kuier had 21 points and 16 rebounds in 37 minutes in the final to get her team a 63-56 win:

Okosun had 13 points and 9 rebounds in 22 minutes and Jessen had 7 points and 10 rebounds in 32 minutes as Denmark finished in 5th with a 70-60 win:

Reaction Score
24 points and 8 rebounds in 23 minutes in a 91-45 win:

They have one more game in this phase and then come the big games to get promoted to the top division.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why is Awak Kuier contemplating a career at UCONN and not in Star Wars?
Her name is a shoo-in.
:D
I'm just hoping this part comes true: "Awak Kuier contemplating a career at UCONN"
Because then she will truly being among the stars. :D

Reaction Score
speaking of numbers, what are the odds that UConn's European players stay put all four years? Certainly don't want another Azura debacle.............

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
speaking of numbers, what are the odds that UConn's European players stay put all four years? Certainly don't want another Azura debacle...

For Anna I’d say it’s pretty high. She could have easily stayed playing professional ball in Poland (or elsewhere in Europe) and her sister decided to transfer to Utah from Liberty instead of just going back to play. I feel like that combo says a lot about the family’s attitude towards both education and the training playing college basketball provides.

Nika is more of an unknown, but it seems her game is less pro-ready than Anna’s. She’d have pro options in Europe, but she seems to really want to learn under Geno’s tutelage.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
speaking of numbers, what are the odds that UConn's European players stay put all four years? Certainly don't want another Azura debacle...
:eek: I didn't realize Azura was European.
WCBB is a voluntary endeavor as is attending college. Some kids will choose to leave ASAP. WCBB, UCONN WBB, and life in general will go on.

Reaction Score
:eek: I didn't realize Azura was European.
WCBB is a voluntary endeavor as is attending college. Some kids will choose to leave ASAP. WCBB, UCONN WBB, and life in general will go on.

I was of course referring to AZ's jump to professional basketball which apparently took Geno by surprise....................I've been led to believe that the European players are not subject to the same age restrictions and can turn pro at an earlier age and thus my question.....................

Reaction Score
She had 17 points and 10 rebounds in 33 minutes an 86-68 win on Saturday to get promotion:

She had 31 points and 11 rebounds in 35 minutes in the final, but they lost 80-75:

I was of course referring to AZ's jump to professional basketball which apparently took Geno by surprise.....I've been led to believe that the European players are not subject to the same age restrictions and can turn pro at an earlier age and thus my question......

Anyone can turn pro at anytime, but obviously there is more of a market for young international players in their home countries than for young Americans due to foreign player restrictions. Foreign players who enroll in college in the United States are currently subject to the same WNBA rules as American players so they have their WNBA clocks pushed back two years. Salaries in Europe are very dependent on the strength of the local economies, which is why different countries at different times tend to send waves of young players to college. Whether players stay is based on the same general considerations as American players deciding whether to transfer, but sometimes foreign players end up not wanting to deal with being full time students as well as playing and that causes them to return home.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She had 17 points and 10 rebounds in 33 minutes an 86-68 win on Saturday to get promotion:

She had 31 points and 11 rebounds in 35 minutes in the final, but they lost 80-75:
Thanks for keeping us updated on Awak Kuier during this tournament. I hope UCONN is in her future because at UCONN she could be dynastic if combined with Paige.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thanks for keeping us updated on Awak Kuier during this tournament. I hope UCONN is in her future because at UCONN she could be dynastic if combined with Paige.

Um, and Azzi Fudd??? Come on Coco, if you're going to get Awak you're going to get Azzi too. Can't have the A-Team without both. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom