Autumn destination | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Autumn destination

Reaction Score
that is absolutely correct on all counts.
THANK YOU!!!

I got dragged a few months ago when I said she was a D3 JUCO type of player...and here we are. I'm sure she is a great kid, but it was obvious she has nowhere near the skill level, strength, or game to be a D1 basketball player.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
THANK YOU!!!

I got dragged a few months ago when I said she was a D3 JUCO type of player...and here we are. I'm sure she is a great kid, but it was obvious she has nowhere near the skill level, strength, or game to be a D1 basketball player.
Slow down there Bart! So Geno, allowed a young women with no skill, strength or knowledge to play at UConn?
You can’t be serious. There is no way he would have kept her even as a walk-on, if she didn’t show some basketball acumen and skill.
Given there are 351 schools in D1, yes I do think she could make a roster. How much playing time is certainly a fair question but she did show some skills in the junk minutes we saw and Geno constantly supported her so I think I will defer to his view vs. yours.

Reaction Score
Slow down there Bart! So Geno, allowed a young women with no skill, strength or knowledge to play at UConn?
You can’t be serious. There is no way he would have kept her even as a walk-on, if she didn’t show some basketball acumen and skill.
Given there are 351 schools in D1, yes I do think she could make a roster. How much playing time is certainly a fair question but she did show some skills in the junk minutes we saw and Geno constantly supported her so I think I will defer to his view vs. yours.
Fact; she is playing at a JUCO school. Granted, the saga is not yet completed.

Reaction Score
I didnt play at any college or high school. I did play is a morman league. I also coached HS girls for 17 years. My saga is complete.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Fact; she is playing at a JUCO school. Granted, the saga is not yet completed.
What is the definition of a D1 basketball player? I would think playing for a D1 school would meet that, no?

Reaction Score
Funny how some are falling over themselves to declare where this young lady can play or not play based on a ridiculously limited viewing. As Rocket009 stated, she already is a D1 player because she played D1, at the most celebrated of programs and no one can take that away from her, ever.

Reaction Score
He didn't keep her as a walk on, she isn't on the team anymore.

I am serious-I have my opinion and you can have yours-but IMO, no D1 team should ever seriously think about having her on the roster. This isn't a knock on Autumn at all. She just isn't that caliber of a basketball player.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

I am serious-I have my opinion and you can have yours-but IMO, no D1 team should ever seriously think about having her on the roster. This isn't a knock on Autumn at all. She just isn't that caliber of a basketball player.
I take it AS A KNOCK on Autumn, Geno does not just let people become a walk on. They have to meet his standards before that happens. Geno himself stated that Autumn was meshing well with the team and adapting to the system.

The last half of the season Autumn was not able to play due to lower leg issues, I believe it was shin splints. I also believe that Autumn left because of two things, the costs of school and she knew after sitting down with Geno that their would be less of a chance of playing time with the four Freshman coming in.

There may be other reasons why she wasn't picked up by some DIV 1 schools, many players decided to stay with their teams an extra year because of COVID and their were a more than an above average number of people in the transfer portal, also because of COVID. So her being picked up by teams that she wanted to play for might not have had an opening.

Reaction Score
Funny how some are falling over themselves to declare where this young lady can play or not play based on a ridiculously limited viewing. As Rocket009 stated, she already is a D1 player because she played D1, at the most celebrated of programs and no one can take that away from her, ever.

Can we at least not make mean comments about a former player? Some of the posts in here are embarrassing, and I can only hope her parents don't ever see this.
Thank you both for saying this. I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some people to just wish her the best and move on. We BARELY saw her play at UConn so for some people to automatically discredit her with no conviction at all makes no sense to me.

I hope her current path works out for her as she was a pleasure to have at UConn this past season.

Jim

Reaction Score
Once a Husky, Always a Husky. #BleedBlue

Reaction Score
Can we at least not make mean comments about a former player? Some of the posts in here are embarrassing, and I can only hope her parents don't ever see this.
I agree 100%, but let's expand it to current players and everyone else. These kids read this stuff, their friends read this stuff, their families read this stuff. We should keep that in mind before hitting the "post reply" button.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I agree 100%, but let's expand it to current players and everyone else. These kids read this stuff, their friends read this stuff, their families read this stuff. We should keep that in mind before hitting the "post reply" button.
I agree, but I don't think our moderators will allow us to get out of hand, unlike some other Board.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how having an honest, basketball-evaluated opinion of a player is somehow akin to disparaging said player as a person, especially when the post includes: "I'm sure she's a great kid".

If UCBart thinks Autumn is suited to be a D-III player, so what? I doubt Autumn is any bit a snowflake. She'll likely never see the post, and, my dears, I doubt she'd give a damn, frankly.

clark gable cigar GIF

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how having an honest, basketball-evaluated opinion of a player is somehow akin to disparaging said player as a person, especially when the post includes: "I'm sure she's a great kid".

If UCBart thinks Autumn is suited to be a D-III player, so what? I doubt Autumn is any bit a snowflake. She'll likely never see the post, and, my dears, I doubt she'd give a damn, frankly.

clark gable cigar GIF
I'm sure Autumn just loves to play basketball. She got her taste of the big time, but now she is concentrating on her her LIFE goal and that is becoming a doctor. I think playing CBB is now just for the fun of it, with her studies being the only stress she has to endure. Good luck to you Autumn, may you get everything in life that you want, and remember, you are still a part of the UConn family.

Reaction Score

clark gable cigar GIF
Personally, I think the “no D1 team should ever seriously think of having her on the roster” quote kind of lacks credibility since the premier program in the nation not only seriously thought about it, they did just that. Second, the lack of even remotely enough court time to make an “honest, basketball- evaluated opinion” makes me wonder about the motivation for such a definitive opinion. Is the poster entitled to the opinion, absolutely, just as I am entitled to an opinion on the assessment.

Reaction Score

clark gable cigar GIF

Because their “opinion” of her skill level is irrelevant because she already made the roster of a D1 program. It doesn’t appear as if they are directly affiliated with a D1 program, so stating “no program should consider her” is also irrelevant since they have no clue what programs consider.

Also, what makes someone “not suited” for a certain level of competition? Was Makurat not suited to be a D1 player because she didn’t last four years at her collegiate program and struggled every year she was there? Saying “I’m sure she’s a great kid” and following that with criticizing her skill level and abilities seems pretty backhanded to me.

Reaction Score
Because their “opinion” of her skill level is irrelevant because she already made the roster of a D1 program. It doesn’t appear as if they are directly affiliated with a D1 program, so stating “no program should consider her” is also irrelevant since they have no clue what programs consider.

Also, what makes someone “not suited” for a certain level of competition? Was Makurat not suited to be a D1 player because she didn’t last four years at her collegiate program and struggled every year she was there? Saying “I’m sure she’s a great kid” and following that with criticizing her skill level and abilities seems pretty backhanded to me.
Really good “not suited” point. Stephen Curry was not considered a major college prospect primarily due to his size, his slim stature. And no, I am not remotely comparing he and the young lady as players, just the very, very inexact science of athletic evaluation.
One further interesting point; one of the best under the radar coaches in MCBB, Bob McKillop from Davidson, decided to recruit Curry after seeing him play a particularly terrible game. McKillop is on record as saying he was extremely impressed with the way Curry handled the adversity, no negative body language or sulking, just continuing to play hard. Sound a wee bit familiar to one of the key criteria of a certain successful WCBB coach? Things that you can‘t chart, measure, or graph count but are increasingly getting lost in the maze of statistics now available at the drop of a hat. Just one “old school” mans opinion.

Reaction Score

Are there humans anywhere who are not capable of having an opinion? Why bother to celebrate having an opinion! Intimating that all opinions are equal is something else; rather dangerous I would say.
Perhaps we should investigate GA for under the table payments!
Maybe her canine, goldfish, aunt, uncle, best, etc, got sick and she wanted to return to La! Maybe she was promised a scolly at----------, but X-- (u know who), is still upset about that final 4 situation and the thought of starting up anew w/ an ex-Uconn player was too far a bridge to cross. So, poor Autumn.
Then again, perhaps she had (at least) one dream-- to be on Uconn WBB roster-- officially. Checked. You go girl. No one in my family understands my obsessive dream about buying an Austin Heally 3000, a Volvo ES250, or a Porche 365. I'm still dreaming, sending feelers out to my old dept at Uconn for an invite to give a talk, so I can see a game at Gamble.

Reaction Score
I certainly don't speak for UCBart, but MY interpretation of the line "no D1 team should ever seriously think about having her on the roster" wasn't meant to be taken LITERALLY, in the sense that she isn't WORTHY of being on a D-1 roster AT ALL, but rather in terms of making a significant contribution on the court.

As regards having a smart, trustworthy, good attitude-type teammate to fill out a roster, I'd say she fits the bill.

Reaction Score
I certainly don't speak for UCBart, but MY interpretation of the line "no D1 team should ever seriously think about having her on the roster" wasn't meant to be taken LITERALLY, in the sense that she isn't WORTHY of being on a D-1 roster AT ALL, but rather in terms of making a significant contribution on the court.

As regards having a smart, trustworthy, good attitude-type teammate to fill out a roster, I'd say she fits the bill.
By that criteria, at least 1/3 of the roster on virtually every team isn’t “WORTHY” because they don’t make a significant contribution on the court.
Now one could argue that many of those players could contribute if given the minutes, no one knows, and I would say this young lady should clearly fit in that category.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom