Autumn destination | The Boneyard

Autumn destination

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any more details about the school / program ?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any more details about the school / program ?
2 year school I think, allows transfers to main LSU campus for 4 year degrees.

Reaction Score
Seems odd (to me)

I believe there are typically 3 reasons a player goes JUCO:
1) Spend time working on game in hopes of getting a better D1 offer
2) academics are poor (no pesky classes to get in the way)
3) inexpensive
I would think 2 and 3 are less of a factor for AC since she was HS valedictorian and just shelled out a year of UConn tuition.
And to do that in hopes of 1? …

Reaction Score
And allowing a year for possible transfer to a university with a full basketball scholarship.
Stop with the full scholarship talk. She is not a D1 player. If she was she’d have a scholarship already. Go to a good DIII academic institution, play ball, have fun, graduate, get a good job or go on to grad school.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seems odd (to me)

I believe there are typically 3 reasons a player goes JUCO:
1) Spend time working on game in hopes of getting a better D1 offer
2) academics are poor (no pesky classes to get in the way)
3) inexpensive
I would think 2 and 3 are less of a factor for AC since she was HS valedictorian and just shelled out a year of UConn tuition.
And to do that in hopes of 1? …
Or, maybe she wanted to be closer to home AND play basketball.

Re. "a better D1 offer": But we don't know whether she had any D1 offers at this time. If her goal is to land on a team at a 4-year school (even if sub-D1), one year getting plenty of court time at a JC isn't a bad idea IMO.

As for the finances, the inexpensiveness of JC may have indeed been attractive. Just because a family ponies up one year of expensive tuition doesn't necessarily mean they're in a comfortable position to continue doing so.

Reaction Score
Stop with the full scholarship talk. She is not a D1 player. If she was she’d have a scholarship already. Go to a good DIII academic institution, play ball, have fun, graduate, get a good job or go on to grad school.

if she wanted to go D3 presumably she would be there now

this strikes me as someone who is trying for D1

Reaction Score
Re. "a better D1 offer": But we don't know whether she had any D1 offers at this time. If
Twas a general list for players who go juco. Not autumn specific.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no horse in the race, as they say, so I'm just guessing like everyone else.

Perhaps she wanted to be close to home, but did not get any D1 scholly offers. This seems a good choice for her to continue her education but still get to play hoops and improve her game. Perhaps after 2 years, she will get some D1 offers she's interested in.

All speculation of course. But that seems logical to me. Then again, there could be numerous different reasons none of us are aware of. Maybe she will address it in an interview - given the huge interest UCONN fans have in all our players, even when they transfer, it would be nice if someone on the horde would do a zoom interview with her and ask the questions!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
#1. I am happy for Autumn if she’s happy
#2. I really wish her the best and hope what she learned at UConn allows her to play meaningful minutes and contribute at LSU Eunice.
#3. My logical observation of this, is she does want to play basketball at some level and having tangible statistics with playing at LSU Eunice may garner her some offers from lower D1, any D2 or D3 school.
#4. Based on this choice and my watching her in the very limited time she received last year is she is not a top 175 D1 school player. Could she get offers for schools 176-351, maybe/probably if she plays well this year.
#5. This announcement will still not quell the bizarre posts by our brethren that she is bound for LSU or Vandy or other P5 schools. Heck, I honestly think she would be lucky to get an offer from any mid-major and am rooting she does.
#6. My very cursory search for any players going from LSU Eunice to any D1 school has not found any results. So, let’s all wish her the best and be fairer on the assessment of her skills. She was a good to great UConn teammate and a definite fan favorite but D1 player is probably a long shot.
All respect intended. DefenseBB

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
#6. My very cursory search for any players going from LSU Eunice to any D1 school has not found any results. So, let’s all wish her the best and be fairer on the assessment of her skills. She was a good to great UConn teammate and a definite fan favorite but D1 player is probably a long shot.
I don't know the relevant statistic, but only a very tiny percentage of JUCO players make the jump to D1.

One convenient case study is last year's LSU-Eunice WBB team, which finished 18-4 overall, 11-1 in conference: Their best player was 5'9" sophomore guard Alona (Lala) Washington, who was named to both the All-Region and regional All-Tournament teams. (LSUE lost in the semis of the NJCAA D1 Region 23 tournament to #1 seed Jones College.)

She was also named by the Louisiana sportswriters to the All-Louisiana 2nd Team (which included WBB players from Louisiana teams across all collegiate divisions).

Despite being such a standout at LSUE, Washington does not seem to have come close to landing in D1: her next stop, as a junior, is LSU-Shreveport, an NAIA team.

Reaction Score
She would be a great fit at a D3 school, most of which are outstanding academic institutions and many of which have outstanding women’s basketball programs. My daughter played D3; many of her teammates were exactly like Autumn (the program won a national championship one year after she graduated).

Reaction Score
I could have seen Autumn playing at a Patriot League school, particularly if she built up her strength. I follow schools like Bucknell that play a disciplined system, are aggressive, and have a good coach. Would have seemed a good fit but since they rarely take transfers, that ship has likely passed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She would be a great fit at a D3 school, most of which are outstanding academic institutions and many of which have outstanding women’s basketball programs. My daughter played D3; many of her teammates were exactly like Autumn (the program won a national championship one year after she graduated).
I agree. But no athletic scholarships at D3, and I get the feeling that is a primary goal for Autumn as well as her father.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom