Australia out of Medal Competition Lose to Serbia 73-71 | The Boneyard

Australia out of Medal Competition Lose to Serbia 73-71

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO shocking loss as Serbia was the 4th Seed coming out of Group Competition. Cambage got into foul trouble and only played 26.48 minutes. Cambage is both Australia's strenght and Weakness. If she's on the floor they're nearly unstoppable on offense. Sitting on the bench in foul trouble, they're no better then the other top teams besides Team USA.

Box Score: FIBA Live Statistics

If Cambage played in the WNBA she'd foul out of every game she played in. She's a bull in a china cabinet and would get called for so many offensive fouls that she gets away with under FIBA rules.

Looks like Spain will be one of the teams in the Gold Medal Game. Didn't think that would happen with Sancho Little out with an injury.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
WOW! Didn't see that coming. Did they bomb away from the outside?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
26(!) turnovers for Australia vs. 9 for Serbia.

Australia shot 47% to Serbia's 37% and outrebounded them 46-34 and still lost.

Reaction Score
IMHO shocking loss as Serbia was the 4th Seed coming out of Group Competition. Cambage got into foul trouble and only played 26.48 minutes. Cambage is both Australia's strenght and Weakness. If she's on the floor they're nearly unstoppable on offense. Sitting on the bench in foul trouble, they're no better then the other top teams besides Team USA.

Box Score: FIBA Live Statistics

If Cambage played in the WNBA she'd foul out of every game she played in. She's a bull in a china cabinet and would get called for so many offensive fouls that she gets away with under FIBA rules.

Looks like Spain will be one of the teams in the Gold Medal Game. Didn't think that would happen with Sancho Little out with an injury.
She needs to do as Lauren Jackson said. Lauren came to play in the WNBA, not for the money, but because unlike Europe, Russia, China, or Australia. You played against the best players every day, and she wanted to be the best player in the world. Cambage played 2 years in the WNBA, and didn't dominate, she needs to play against the best to get better.

Reaction Score
So sorry to hear this--didn't even bother to watch, because it seemed a sure win for Australia. Was very much looking forward to a final against the Aussies, as the only team that had any sort of realistic chance of giving us a full 40 minute game.

Wait! It's on now for those who want to watch it, even though it's not "live".

Reaction Score
Shocking!!! shows you that on any given night even a superior team can be beat. I'm sure that if they played 10 games Australia will win 8 or so out of those games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow! Serbia is a good team and with a five out offense which is a real problem for Cambage defensively (as for both Griner and Fowles.) But ... 26 turnovers for Australia vs. 9/ 6 steals vs. 16 - was where the game was lost. Australia outshot and out rebounded Serbia, though Serbia shot 10 more foul shots

Reaction Score
Cambage in tears; Penny Taylor's last game ever. Very sad to see that for Australia, but Serbia, as Swin said, "played on the edge" and the Aussies didn't seem to. Except for Cambage, they seemed to lack intensity.

A lesson for the U.S., obviously. The thought crossed my mind, too, UcMiami, about what this means for our "bigs", but we do have the incredibly depth to play as small as we need to.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
With Australia out of Medal Competition, I would think if Canada beats France they'll win the Bronze Medal game. Got to think is Spain and USA in Gold Medal Game and who knows who's in the Bronze Medal Game.

Does Canada have a shot at bronze?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Australia gone and Celine Dumerc and Sancho Lyttle hurt, the door is open for Canada. They will have to play very well, but they have a golden (well, bronze) opportunity.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Does Canada have a shot at bronze?
Not sure if your question was rhetorical or not but they face France today. I think both teams have a great shot to win. It will come down to who plays better today. France lost to Australia and Japan and had a super close game vs. Belarus. Canada lost to USA and Spain and had a close game vs. Serbia. Rooting for Canada and Kia big time of course.

Reaction Score
Not sure if your question was rhetorical or not but they face France today.

No not rhetorical. I don't follow closely enough to know if Canada has a shot against France, if it's a tossup, or if they could be favored.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Penny Taylor with 2 points, although she did have 9 assists. I wonder how the Aussie loss (Penny's loss) will affect DT.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Now I want to go back and watch the USA vs Serbia game. That gives me something to do until the game against Japan begins.

Reaction Score
I won't say I told you so, because I didn't tell anyone so, but given that the Serbs played
USA relatively tough, I figured the Aussies would have to play well to advance against them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Spain squeaks out a come from behind two point win against Turkey

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
My my my isn't this getting exciting!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a slew of exciting games. I expect Canada and France to be close as well. Not so much for USA vs. Japan, but I'm betting the Japanese play us fairly even for close to 2 total quarters of the game... Unless we are super focused and really execute well...

Reaction Score
I honestly wasn't that impressed with Australia earlier in the games. Nor was my dad who's been watching basketball for 60 odd years.

Clearly not the same team with Lauren Jackson retired and Penny Taylor on the verge of retirement.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
What a slew of exciting games. I expect Canada and France to be close as well. Not so much for USA vs. Japan, but I'm betting the Japanese play us fairly even for close to 2 total quarters of the game... Unless we are super focused and really execute well...

Good call Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01