Augustus Comes Out...Getting Married | The Boneyard

Augustus Comes Out...Getting Married

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good for her.
Just as long as she doesn't try to become coach at UT-Austin, I guess all will be ok.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to her. She could come to Connecticut for the ceremony.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Congratulations to her on the impending nuptials.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good for her.
Just as long as she doesn't try to become coach at UT-Austin, I guess all will be ok.
she'd have no problem becoming the coach at Texas. Successfully recruiting Texas kids is another matter.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nice to see. It's a good read and not all about coming out. She discusses injuries and other basketball related items, including the Olympics and the WNBA.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Wonderful story.. Knowing Seimone's background, where she grew up in particular, coming out for her had to be a very difficult thing. I am very happy for her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I always really liked her - her game, demeanor, work ethic, etc. but reading something like that gives me an incredible amount of respect for her. It's very hard for "public" figures to come out - and it takes a tremendous amount of courage to make it public like she did. I wish her much success - personally and professionally. What a terrific role model for young girls, no matter what their orientation, to see someone as talented as she is be able to live such a rich and full life, and not have to feel she needs to hide any of it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Living one's life in secrecy is very disheartening. I am glad that she has come out so that she no longer has to pretend. I have to wonder if Obama's recent announcement of support for gay marriage had an impact on her decision to come out at this time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Blessings to Seimone and her spouse to be. One can only pray that everything goes smoothly for them and that those in the lives and their families will give them all the support they can ever need.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Love Seimone - but honestly I thought she was "out" already....? I'm sure that I have seen TV interviews and short bio pieces on her that discussed this and discussed her girlfriend.

Now I will go read the linked article :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Living one's life in secrecy is very disheartening. I am glad that she has come out so that she no longer has to pretend. I have to wonder if Obama's recent announcement of support for gay marriage had an impact on her decision to come out at this time.
I am saddened that a person needs to either live in secrecy or gather their courage to come out. It seems to me that one is either gay or straight, has brown hair or is blonde, is tall or is short - no big deal, just something that a person is. That someone has to hide his true self away from others in 2012 is sad.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Seimone, and her partner. Even today, in 2012, it can't be easy to "come out", although I hope that she finds that society is much more accepting of her than she thought.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am saddened that a person needs to either live in secrecy or gather their courage to come out. It seems to me that one is either gay or straight, has brown hair or is blonde, is tall or is short - no big deal, just something that a person is. That someone has to hide his true self away from others in 2012 is sad.
Sad indeed, but progress has been exponential within my lifetime. Even within the past 10 years, there's been a virtual 180 in terms of polling on the topic of gay marriage.

I spent eight of the first 11 years of my life in San Francisco, which happened to coincide with the onset of HIV/AIDS in the United States. Even as a child, I couldn't avoid the reality that I was living in a city where an entire community was being absolutely decimated with very little being done about it from the outside because it was seen as a "gay disease". I truly believe that today, that kind of callous indifference would not be the response.

The gay community has paid a dear, dear price to have a voice in the general American discourse since 1969, and progress is never as rapid as movements want them to be. Reality tends to be incremental. However, the price several generations of gay men and women have paid over the past 43 years has come with significant gains. They have a lot to be proud of.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
come out? Im sure those who "know" her already knew... she doesnt have to answer or explain anything to me.
You are right, DC, she owes no an explanation but that said it doesn't solve the problem of being able to live publicly open lives with dignity and to receive simple respect as a person. It doesn't solve the issues involving hospital access of loved ones and equal treatment under the law in all aspects of life.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Just as an update to where we are and where we're not, Manny Pacquiao just said in public that all gay men should be put to death. Quoted Leviticus. I'm sure the guy keeps a kosher home, too...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Just as an update to where we are and where we're not, Manny Pacquiao just said in public that all gay men should be put to death. Quoted Leviticus. I'm sure the guy keeps a kosher home, too...
He did not say that, according to latest reports. Says he only disagrees with Obama re, gay marriage, does not believe gays should be put to death.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WOW...those are two pretty diverse interpretations of his comments. You either said someone should be put to death or you didn't. That would be pretty hard to misunderstand.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
He did not say that, according to latest reports. Says he only disagrees with Obama re, gay marriage, does not believe gays should be put to death.

I read that too. I honestly don't know whether this is his way of backpedaling, especially since there has been some backlash. He was supposed to speak at The Grove, an LA shopping mall, but they rescinded that invitation and he is no longer welcome there.

It sounds fishy to me that he was "misquoted". If he weren't getting so much backlash, would he still say he was "misquoted?". I'm not so sure about that.

I have no problem with people believing one thing, especially if it is truly what they believe in. But don't be a hypocrite about it. If you are going to quote the Bible as your source of beliefs, then own up to it and live by all the rules. Don't just pick and choose for what is convenient for you. That is what infuriates me the most about people who use religion as a shield for their beliefs.

Ok, off my soapbox and back to the original topic on hand. Congrats to Augustus and her upcoming marriage. Bring home the gold!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have no problem with people believing one thing, especially if it is truly what they believe in. But don't be a hypocrite about it. If you are going to quote the Bible as your source of beliefs, then own up to it and live by all the rules. Don't just pick and choose for what is convenient for you. That is what infuriates me the most about people who use religion as a shield for their beliefs.

Amen, brother. Don't pick and choose which portions of the bible you choose to support.

If America really wants to protect the sanctity of marriage, outlaw divorce.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I read that too. I honestly don't know whether this is his way of backpedaling, especially since there has been some backlash. He was supposed to speak at The Grove, an LA shopping mall, but they rescinded that invitation and he is no longer welcome there.

It sounds fishy to me that he was "misquoted". If he weren't getting so much backlash, would he still say he was "misquoted?". I'm not so sure about that.

Ok, off my soapbox and back to the original topic on hand. Congrats to Augustus and her upcoming marriage. Bring home the gold!
I'm not going to defend him, but I thought the author of the original article that led to the uproar was also saying he did not say what was being alleged. I cannot tolerate homophobes at all, but the guy deserves at least to be properly quoted.

Of course the backlash concerns him. He has all kinds of endorsements for one thing and they are all at risk now, because of this.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Of course the backlash concerns him. He has all kinds of endorsements for one thing and they are all at risk now, because of this.

If that is his opinion then he has every right to state it. As far as it putting endorsement deals at risk, he should have thought of that before he spoke. However, stand up for what you believe and don't be a hypocrite. I will never again buy a brand of boxing gloves that he endorses. Oh wait, I don't box. That was an easy boycott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom