August Transfer Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

August Transfer Thread

Reaction Score
apologies if i missed this, but is Lattimore eligible this upcoming season at Texas? (along with Day-Wilson at Duke)?
I'm going to assume it's very likely they will be. I'm not sure if the one-time transfer rule applies in their situation though.

I've seen posts in the forum that noted there was a deadline to be able to qualify. As Hillsman resigned well after that who knows? I also wonder if it's to their advantage that the schools apply for a waiver. That way they keep that extra year.

Reaction Score
Just saw something on the Baylor forum indicating Se'Quoia Allmond has entered into the transfer portal as of yesterday.

If this is true, this is another 2021 who hasn't hit campus yet entering the portal. I wonder what happened as she seemed excited about going to a HBCU school like Jackson State.

Reaction Score
Just saw something on the Baylor forum indicating Se'Quoia Allmond has entered into the transfer portal as of yesterday.

If this is true, this is another 2021 who hasn't hit campus yet entering the portal. I wonder what happened as she seemed excited about going to a HBCU school like Jackson State.
She got looks from several P5 schools. I was a little surprised when she chose JSU.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm going to assume it's very likely they will be. I'm not sure if the one-time transfer rule applies in their situation though.

I've seen posts in the forum that noted there was a deadline to be able to qualify. As Hillsman resigned well after that who knows? I also wonder if it's to their advantage that the schools apply for a waiver. That way they keep that extra year.
With the deadline being attached to the 'free transfer' rule, I believe any transfer signing post deadline will have to apply for a waiver to play immediately. This being the first year, and post covid oddity it is a bit vague. With Syracuse situation a waiver, especially for a true freshman would seem likely to get approved.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

WTH?!? :eek: I’ll be interested in reading the story behind this departure. Classes resumed a week ago today. Did she become disenchanted with LSU in less than 2 weeks? I wonder what the tipping point was? I wonder if she’d like to go back to Baylor, and if so, would they take her back?

Reaction Score
WTH?!? :eek: I’ll be interested in reading the story behind this departure. Classes resumed a week ago today. Did she become disenchanted with LSU in less than 2 weeks? I wonder what the tipping point was? I wonder if she’d like to go back to Baylor, and if so, would they take her back?
Who knows, but a deadly hurricane just destroyed southern Louisiana and her hometown yesterday so maybe thats it. She was at the team meetings and practice this week. Timing is very weird considering classes have started already and she had been involved with workouts, etc.

Hopefully we learn more later in the week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going forward...there should be a limit on how many times a player can transfer to PLAY somewhere else. Academically, transfer all you want. Too many of these kids transfer to get more playing time. Problem is....it doesn't mean you get better coaching and preparation for the next level. Saniyah Chong and Kiah Stokes stayed and were drafted. I can't imagine that happens if they had left and transferred multiple times. Espinosa Hunter, Lexi Gordon and Mikayla Combs have close to a zero chance of making an NBA roster...and these were TOP recruits! Some of these kids believe they're own hype videos and believe that they are ready.

Reaction Score
Won't a re-emergence into the portal - especially after classes had started - mean Ursin will now have to sit out a year due to transfer protocol? Or, is she a graduate transfer???

Ahhh, nvermind. The twitter posts are always a little slow to load on my browser, and I didn't want to wait for it. But now that it has I see she is a grad transitional. Carry on......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Going forward...there should be a limit on how many times a player can transfer to PLAY somewhere else. Academically, transfer all you want. Too many of these kids transfer to get more playing time. Problem is....it doesn't mean you get better coaching and preparation for the next level. Saniyah Chong and Kiah Stokes stayed and were drafted. I can't imagine that happens if they had left and transferred multiple times. Espinosa Hunter, Lexi Gordon and Mikayla Combs have close to a zero chance of making an NBA roster...and these were TOP recruits! Some of these kids believe they're own hype videos and believe that they are ready.
I have to disagree with that. I realize this is a UCONN board but I think that's a rather jaded POV. A players skill level is mostly what determines if a player gets drafted not the school they attended. The WNBA could careless (RIP Kib) how many times a player transfers. I could just as easily counter your Saniyah Chong and Kiah Stokes examples with Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin. As much as it pains me to say this I would not rule out Espinosa Hunter making a WNBA roster. Many made this same mistake ( no WNBA future) with Marina Mabrey.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with that. I realize this is a UCONN board but I think that's a rather jaded POV. A players skill level is mostly what determines if a player gets drafted not the school they attended. The WNBA could careless (RIP Kib) how many times a player transfers. I could just as easily counter your Saniyah Chong and Kiah Stokes examples with Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin. As much as it pains me to say this I would not rule out Espinosa Hunter making a WNBA roster. Many made this same mistake ( no WNBA future) with Marina Mabrey.
When I refer to staying...I mean at any school...just used Uconn players as examples. My problem with transferring is the impact on college programs...not the WNBA. How would you feel if you waited in line to play and a bunch of grad transfers, many who aren't going to the WNBA or even overseas...came in and there you are ...still not playing. There's a value to the program in having these kids, who are good, but not great as part of your program. You want to practice against other good players. They could leave and start elsewhere, but they stay and should be rewarded. Now...there are players (Deshields, Te'a Cooper) who transferred just as much and made the WNBA, but they are the exception.

And I agree that the level of skill is what gets you drafted, but a player is jeopardizing that development with each new change. Many don't care because they just want to play. I think the transfer portal has benefited very few players or programs. It needs to be tamed...and quickly. Initially, we all know that the COVID situation caused the initial volatility, but if you look carefully...it cascaded. The number of players who entered was ridiculous. A lot of those were pushed into the portal because they were push down the roster.

I'll add this too. How does it look from the outside if you have a lot players start to transfer from your program? Now...it doesn't mean that you have an issue like Syracuse, but nonetheless...it's not a good look.

Reaction Score
I would also add that these are 17 to 18 year olds who don't know what they want or how they'll react in a new and different environment. Most of the players that were mentioned basically went closer to their hometown in the end.

Also I see nothing wrong in some players leaving schools for more playing time. If you're a top 50 prospect out of high school and is averaging less than 10 minutes a game throughout your sophomore year, why waste your eligibility sitting on the bench if your heart is not in it. It's best for both the player and the program if the player isn't happy to part ways sometimes.

Reaction Score

Maybe she spent the summer in Waco. That would do it for me.

Reaction Score
Maybe she spent the summer in Waco. That would do it for me.
I think you misunderstood me. Allmond committed to Jackson State and is now transferring.

The Baylor site had a post commenting on how one of the Baylor ACs had a good rapport with her because he was at Ole Miss. Ole Miss was one of her finalists.

Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood me. Allmond committed to Jackson State and is now transferring.

The Baylor site had a post commenting on how one of the Baylor ACs had a good rapport with her because he was at Ole Miss. Ole Miss was one of her finalists.
Sorry, I read Ursin and Baylor and had a brain fart. :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom