August recruiting thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

August recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

UConn

Shade has not visited UConn yet, but hopes to get on campus this fall.

"I like the history behind the school and how competitive their basketball program was and currently still is. I want to play at a high level, so I like that aspect of it."

She talks about her relationships with the coaching staffs for every school but UConn and Stanford. Shea was the lead recruiter for her while Shea was still on the UConn staff so the rest of the staff will now have to establish that relationship. The visit will help.
Volnation is already planning a parade. You know they get very excited if any players even eats an orange. Then they huddle, say Pats name and wait. After blaming Geno for everything of course.

Reaction Score
Photo
Be careful Moose!

Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade on Tennessee 1223EE8E-D1C9-43D6-911B-716FDD5756D8.jpeg 894C4787-E662-4AB5-8BAF-0C1B7BE8B0B0.jpeg
Stolen from Volnation forum.
If we knew what the categories were on the dad's checklist we would have a much better idea of our chances, although she reveals some of her priorities in that last paragraph. I don't think we can read much into any visits until a visit here is completed. I don't know how many times a player takes an official visit, and then says "nope I didn't like it, scratch them off the list."

Rather they always say it was a nice visit and you have to read between the lines, comparing the social media commentary from all there visits to try to get a clue which way they are leading. There is sometimes a nervous period of a few days after a visit to a rival, because if they feel very strongly toward the school they just visited, they sometimes announce and decide not to complete all their official visits.

Reaction Score

I don't understand this move at all. Saw it announced over the weekend. This is her third school going into her senior year. What is different at Royal Crown now when it was supposed to be a landmark program?

Personally, I haven't been a fan of Canadian kids going south to play prep ball. I don't know if it's beneficial on the girls side based on what I've seen to date. For the number who have gone the US prep school route, I haven't seen it translate into a better D1 opportunity.

Also, does anyone have any insight as to how successful IMG has been with developing players? I recall Rella Boothe, but she's had her challenges. Beyond that, I don't know of anyone as a recent reference.

For Canadians, it's a mixed bag. There were the Caron-Goudreau sisters who finished their careers at Texas. I know of another who was there for a few years, only to return to Canada to finish her high school career and play for a Canadian university.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't understand this move at all. Saw it announced over the weekend. This is her third school going into her senior year. What is different at Royal Crown now when it was supposed to be a landmark program?

Personally, I haven't been a fan of Canadian kids going south to play prep ball. I don't know if it's beneficial on the girls side based on what I've seen to date. For the number who have gone the US prep school route, I haven't seen it translate into a better D1 opportunity.

Also, does anyone have any insight as to how successful IMG has been with developing players? I recall Rella Boothe, but she's had her challenges. Beyond that, I don't know of anyone as a recent reference.

For Canadian3 s, it's a mixed bag. There were the Caron-Goudreau sisters who finished their careers at Texas. I know of another who was there for a few years, only to return to Canada to finish her high school career and play for a Canadian university.
Yea I don't understand it either as it relates to WBB. Grace VanSlooten #13 for ESPN in class of '23 has also enrolled at IMG for her senior season as well.

Reaction Score
Yea I don't understand it either as it relates to WBB. Grace VanSlooten #13 for ESPN in class of '23 has also enrolled at IMG for her senior season as well.
For me it's a sign that the business of basketball continues to overtake the sport itself. I get kids want to attend their dream schools, etc., but there has to be some realism there.

Hopefully Todd and VanSlooten are having their tuition costs covered. With the exchange rate for the US dollar in Canada, their annual tuition is the equivalent of attending university in Canada for 3-4 years combined.

For me, I keep wondering where this is all going and I'm looking at it from a couple viewpoints. One as a single parent, lucky enough to have a daughter who earned a scholarship without having to go broke. The costs some families are putting into just the high school years alone worries me. There's no way I could afford what is being spent nowadays and it's making basketball inaccessible for good kids.

Second as a volunteer coach who is seeing a lot of churn in HS basketball in the Toronto and Ontario region. People joke about a HS transfer portal. It isn't a joke from what I'm seeing. I'm seeing kids change schools annually now in the hope that they will get better "exposure" depending on what has been promised.

Todd left a good program after her Grade 9 year to join Royal Crown. Her Grade 10 year was a struggle because of the talent around her. Grade 11 didn't happen due to COVID and it was to be a stacked team. She's also posted a final 5 months ago. If these are considered "locks" for offers (except Syracuse for obvious reasons), I don't get how moving to IMG would help her that much more.

Apologies for the wordiness, but I'm really perplexed here. Maybe I shouldn't care so much, but I've seen what this sport has done to benefit my daughter. Just hope kids can continue to get these opportunities without having to go through all of what I'm seeing lately.

Reaction Score
If one adjusts widens focus more broadly than the top 10-20 programs in Division 1 basketball (and all sports actually), there are many opportunities available for scholarship money.
Division 1&2 full rides.
Division 3 loans and matching grants in aid, depending on one’s family economic situation.
If you’re looking for a good education, there are plenty of destinations available.
If you just want on a concentrate on primarily tier one hoops and let the post college career chips fall where they may, the options are more limited.
College Lacrosse covered a great deal of my educational costs , no prospects for a lucrative pro career, and it worked out just fine.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I hear Tennessee is nice. I have a friend who recently moved there from SoCal.
It is nice, most of the state is green I mean very green with big rolling hills and beautiful mountain's. The best bourbon whiskey comes from Tn., like all the Southern states moonshine is in abundance. After extensive travel in the south I find that if you are in need of a Dollar General or a Baptist-Bible Church one can be found on every other corner. Come on down Y'all for a visit, stay for a week or two. Maybe the best part for me I will be in the cradle of what was the hotbed of WCBB, I said was the hot bed. I am a Connecticut Husky in queen Summit's court. ;)

Reaction Score
It is nice, most of the state is green I mean very green with big rolling hills and beautiful mountain's. The best bourbon whiskey comes from Tn., like all the Southern states moonshine is in abundance. After extensive travel in the south I find that if you are in need of a Dollar General or a Baptist-Bible Church one can be found on every other corner. Come on down Y'all for a visit, stay for a week or two. Maybe the best part for me I will be in the cradle of what was the hotbed of WCBB, I said was the hot bed. I am a Connecticut Husky in queen Summit's court. ;)
Uncle Nearest whiskey is made there I believe. Try it, read up on it. Very interesting story. Wife and I enjoy it.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Want to end the month with a more complete highlight package for Mikaylah Williams.
#1 on my wish list for 2023.

Coco, you have converted me, what's not to like about this young studlette. Now I have to put one back while I add her to my cart, I still want Ciera just have to figure out who the best fit would be for my third pick.

Reaction Score

There is no Bourbon produced in Tenn. Although it is made the same it's called sour mash (look at a Jack Daniels bottle). Kentucky is the only state that can produce whiskey called Bourbon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, you have converted me, what's not to like about this young studlette. Now I have to put one back while I add her to my cart, I still want Ciera just have to figure out who the best fit would be for my third pick.
I give you a hint-Booker!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCLA with JuJu and Jada Williams is my prediction.
Not sure why anyone would want to give Cori another #1 recruiting class to drive to mediocrity-as in never won a conference tournament or regular season championship.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
There is no Bourbon produced in Tenn. Although it is made the same it's called sour mash (look at a Jack Daniels bottle). Kentucky is the only state that can produce whiskey called Bourbon.
I fall on my sword on this one, and I know you are right. I got carried away. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom