August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 9 | The Boneyard

August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

Reaction Score
Agreed about Russell. Nice game for her today. She catches some tough passes and is able to smoothly go into her shooting motion. Moves well without the ball. She isn't the quickest player but she's not slow or immobile by any means.
And Seattle gets Stewie back next year, along with Ezi Magbegor and probably the 5th or 6th pick in the draft. The best part is getting Sue back to run the offense, which has been bad this year.

Reaction Score
Washington with a total beatdown on Indiana, 107-68. The Fever won 2Q by 24-19, but in the other three quarters the scores were 24-10, 36-19 and 28-15 for the Mystics. Yikes.

Elena Delle Donne with another masterpiece: 25 points on 7-10 FG and 8-8 FT, plus 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 0 turnovers. What's really scary is that this was the 4th straight game missed by Kristi Toliver; I'm not sure what her timetable is. Mystics again showing tremendous balance behind EDD: Powers had 19, Atkins 14, Meesseman 11, Cloud 9. Powers has been coming on strong lately, averaging 16.6 ppg in her last 5 games.
The reason why the Mystics are so good is great coaching. It's nice to have a superstar player on your roster but other than EDD, Meeseman and Toliver, the team is full of average players who play way above what is expected of them. I've always been a Powers fan and she is an above average talent. The former Maryland players just worked very hard to make themselves rotation players (SWK, Hawkins and Cloud) I didn't think Atkins would be as good as she is (coaching). Also how many coaches can get away with having a 6'2" center (Sanders) in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I take it back. Cambage whines just as much and is a jerk.

Meh. Dolson whines just as much and fouls a lot as well. I also don’t get why all these players who want better pay and respect continue to complain about trash talking and physicality instead of just playing? Especially since the regular season is coming to an end and you must bring a killer mentality to the playoffs. Distractions like that will lead to a first round exit for sure.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Meh. Dolson whines just as much and fouls a lot as well. I also don’t get why all these players who want better pay and respect continue to complain about trash talking and physicality instead of just playing? Especially since the regular season is coming to an end and you must bring a killer mentality to the playoffs. Distractions like that will lead to a first round exit for sure.

No, she really doesn't. Don't get me wrong - Stef also has a case of "Who me? I've never committed a foul"

But she isn't constantly working the refs like Cambage or Candace Parker. Everyone complains to an extent but those two raise it to an art form. Dolson's probably in the top 10 biggest complainers, though.

Just so you know that this isn't just me who have notice how these two are especially obnoxious in this regard:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, she really doesn't. Don't get me wrong - Stef also has a case of "Who me? I've never committed a foul"

But she isn't constantly working the refs like Cambage or Candace Parker. Everyone complains to an extent but those two raise it to an art form. Dolson's probably in the top 10 biggest complainers, though.

Just so you know that this isn't just me who have notice how these two are especially obnoxious in this regard:

View attachment 45720

Oh trust me I know Cambage complains a lot. She too gets caught up in the “they’re fouling me” distraction instead of being the dominant post player that she is. Refs involved or not that was a very good performance and I believe them, The Sun, and The Mystics have separated themselves from the pack.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

View attachment 45720

Surprised about Bonner. I have not really noticed this. Of course, with her body type, she probably feels near misses as if they are tackles. ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm just finishing up watching last night's Chicago-LV game.

How did it take Sydney Colson 4-5 years to stick in the W? Sydney Carter, Danielle Adams, and Kelsey Bone from A&M all made it before Colson, but she's playing really well this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If 2-of-23 was good enough to get her Rookie of the Month, then there could be little doubt she'd be Player of the Week:

Of course, never mind the fact that DeWanna Bonner averaged 28.5 points and 12 rebounds in her last two games for Phoenix.

Reaction Score
If 2-of-23 was good enough to get her Rookie of the Month, then there could be little doubt she'd be Player of the Week:

Of course, never mind the fact that DeWanna Bonner averaged 28.5 points and 12 rebounds in her last two games for Phoenix.

Then why couldn't it be Bonner and Ogunbowale, instead of EDD? Those numbers are extremely impressive for a rookie... And the award is "Player of the Week!" Her crappy performance previously doesn't dictate this week's distinction.

Some of you are just hell bent on being salty.

Reaction Score
I'm just finishing up watching last night's Chicago-LV game.

How did it take Sydney Colson 4-5 years to stick in the W? Sydney Carter, Danielle Adams, and Kelsey Bone from A&M all made it before Colson, but she's playing really well this year.
Colson was drafted her rookie season in 2015 and was out of the league until 2015 when she played for the San Antonio Stars for 3 years, a 2 game stint with the Lynx and now she with the Aces. Colson is more or less career backup.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Then why couldn't it be Bonner and Ogunbowale, instead of EDD? Those numbers are extremely impressive for a rookie... And the award is "Player of the Week!" Her crappy performance previously doesn't dictate this week's distinction.

Some of you are just hell bent on being salty.
I'm particularly impressed with her 2.67 rebounds per game. Clear some room on that trophy case!

Reaction Score
Heckuva lot of fun watching Charles and McCowan battle. McCowan had 24 and 8, Tina had 23 and 14. Liberty with a much needed win.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Heckuva lot of fun watching Charles and McCowan battle. McCowan had 24 and 8, Tina had 23 and 14. Liberty with a much needed win.
McCowan leaving no doubt that she is on her way to being one of the premier centers of the W. Her size and strength are hard for even these pro teams to defend. And she has big upside. At one point I saw her do a quick spin and drop move to her left and lay it in with her left hand, something I am certain I have never seen her do before.

Reaction Score
McCowan leaving no doubt that she is on her way to being one of the premier centers of the W. Her size and strength are hard for even these pro teams to defend. And she has big upside. At one point I saw her do a quick spin and drop move to her left and lay it in with her left hand, something I am certain I have never seen her do before.
I've been saying since watching her in the 2018 title game, if she starts housing her left she can be really good.

I understand she is 6'7" and very few people can block her shot. But I think of Morgan Tuck, and how using her speed, footwork, and her left hand allowed her to school a lot of bigger players. McCowan doesn't necessarily need the speed, but the footwork will help. If she learned to use her left hand for lost moves in college, she would have been unstoppable. I think that issue shows itself more in the pros, but she is clearly going to be able to compete in the W.

It's crazy how much so many people underestimated her size and strength. In college, she was far and beyond the strongest compared to her peers. In the pros, she's basically still at the highest tier

Reaction Score
Missed the game, did Pokey leave Tiera on the bench the whole first quarter again and dig a huge hole for her team?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I've been saying since watching her in the 2018 title game, if she starts housing her left she can be really good.

I understand she is 6'7" and very few people can block her shot. But I think of Morgan Tuck, and how using her speed, footwork, and her left hand allowed her to school a lot of bigger players. McCowan doesn't necessarily need the speed, but the footwork will help. If she learned to use her left hand for lost moves in college, she would have been unstoppable. I think that issue shows itself more in the pros, but she is clearly going to be able to compete in the W.

It's crazy how much so many people underestimated her size and strength. In college, she was far and beyond the strongest compared to her peers. In the pros, she's basically still at the highest tier
I couldn't agree more. She and Kalani Brown are two of the biggest-strongest-immovable forces the college game has ever seen, and as long as they stay healthy they will dominate in the pros.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Missing a triple double by not having the points is a very Jackie-ish thing to happen.

Not for lack of trying. Her inability to finish off shots has been baffling. It won’t last but she sure misses some bunnies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not for lack of trying. Her inability to finish off shots has been baffling. It won’t last but she sure misses some bunnies.
Just looking at the box score now. She made 2-3 from 3 but missed all 8 2 pt. attempts.

Her finishing struggles definitely are baffling. Saw her live for the first time as a pro on Sunday. It seems like she's making all the same drives that she would at Notre Dame but they just won't go in anymore.

It always takes some time for rookies to adjust. I have a lot of appreciation for someone like Vandersloot who has come up with all sorts of tricks and weird reverse layups to score in the paint. Right now, Jackie's college strategy of just running headlong toward to the rim isn't panning out, but I'm sure she'll figure it out.

In the meantime, at least she has a dynamite assist/turnover ratio. She may throw up bricks but at least she doesn't often turn it over first. And bricks can sometimes be retrieved when you have Cambage and Wilson in the paint.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just looking at the box score now. She made 2-3 from 3 but missed all 8 2 pt. attempts.

Her finishing struggles definitely are baffling. Saw her live for the first time as a pro on Sunday. It seems like she's making all the same drives that she would at Notre Dame but they just won't go in anymore.

It always takes some time for rookies to adjust. I have a lot of appreciation for someone like Vandersloot who has come up with all sorts of tricks and weird reverse layups to score in the paint. Right now, Jackie's college strategy of just running headlong toward to the rim isn't panning out, but I'm sure she'll figure it out.

In the meantime, at least she has a dynamite assist/turnover ratio. She may throw up bricks but at least she doesn't often turn it over first. And bricks can sometimes be retrieved when you have Cambage and Wilson in the paint.

Guessing a lot of it is confidence related playing at a higher level and handling new duties as the PG on the court. I think she'll make a solid jump next year. She was a very good finisher at ND and will start being more efficient as a scorer as time goes on.

Reaction Score
@Orangutan did you see all of the blocks Turner compiled last game? Four of them were on Wilson. The Turner vs Wilson matchup was one I wish we got to see more of in college. I wish the two teams scheduled one another.

Wilson took over the game in OT, but it wasn't a pretty game for her.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@Orangutan did you see all of the blocks Turner compiled last game? Four of them were on Wilson. The Turner vs Wilson matchup was one I wish we got to see more of in college. I wish the two teams scheduled one another.

Wilson took over the game in OT, but it wasn't a pretty game for her.

And Bri also hauled down 11 rebounds in that game, one more than -- oh -- Jackie Young.

I would've liked to have seen Bri and Wilson match up more often and thought it was going to happen in the Final Four in 2017. Unfortunately, Bri blew out her ACL at the end of one of the early round games (Purdue?) and while the Irish pounded Ohio State in the Sweet 16, Stanford beat them in the Elite Eight.
Well, hopefully we'll see them pounding each other for many a year in this league. Can't begin to tell you how happy I am that Bri is moving well.

As for Jackie and the finishing....I agree that this is a combination of pace and then a confidence factor. I'm certainly no pro, but play in two leagues. One is a tradtional "old guys" league (40+) and then I also play in a all-ages league. As you can guess the latter is faster and has better athletes. I find myself rushing layups, putbacks that I normally would easily drop in the old guys game. With everything else Jackie is doing, I'm wondering if she's rushing just and bit and perhaps over-concentrating now? Not concerned about it in the long run because she'll learn and rise to the occasion.

Reaction Score
@Dillon77 Pretty OT, but I just realized how bad Turner's shoulder injury has hampered her career. Or at least stopped her from being even more dominant.

She got it surgically repaired, but she obviously favors using her left hand almost exclusively for blocking shots. Imagine how many more shots she could block or alter if she had never injured that shoulder?
Plus she could have developed a more consistent jumper. I think she looks great moving laterally and can still elevate, which is good considering her ACL tear. I still think her shoulder has an impact on her mentally. She hardly pursues blocks with her right arm.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@Dillon77 Pretty OT, but I just realized how bad Turner's shoulder injury has hampered her career. Or at least stopped her from being even more dominant.

She got it surgically repaired, but she obviously favors using her left hand almost exclusively for blocking shots. Imagine how many more shots she could block or alter if she had never injured that shoulder?
Plus she could have developed a more consistent jumper. I think she looks great moving laterally and can still elevate, which is good considering her ACL tear. I still think her shoulder has an impact on her mentally. She hardly pursues blocks with her right arm.

Hopefully, her coaching staff has noticed the same and can work with her on that moving forward.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Kind of surprised this didn't happen sooner. She was the 4th PG on the depth chart and that's with Sloot playing 30+ minutes per game. Once Faulkner was cleared to play, she had no purpose on the roster.

Hope she does well overseas and can stick on a roster next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom