August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 14 | The Boneyard

August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She’s a solid addition regardless and she can creat her own shot much better than plum could. I definitely don’t see her starting but I see her as a spark off the bench. You could also make the argument of DT not playing the whole year and now coming back to a team that has chemistry without her. It may be desperate but I don’t think it’s wrong. If you’ve watched the Aces this year their guards play has been SUPER inconsistent... they needed all the help they could get.l especially from a veteran presence like Prince.

In NY, she was tough and clutch (as much as clutch can be in NY). Also saw her a few times in Euroleague and she can score. She can only help.

Reaction Score
In NY, she was tough and clutch (as much as clutch can be in NY). Also saw her a few times in Euroleague and she can score. She can only help.

Agreed. Young and Plum has been solid this year but with a three game losing streak going into uncharted waters(the playoffs), a veteran presence like Prince would be huge.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed. Young and Plum has been solid this year but with a three game losing streak going into uncharted waters(the playoffs), a veteran presence like Prince would be huge.

Of course, since Lambeer ditched NY (and no UConn presence + Cambage), I am rooting for a quick exit for the Aces even though I like Wilson alot.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe it will work out great, we'll see. Prince has played for Laimbeer so she's familiar with his coaching, but not so much familiar w/ her new teammates and they aren't familiar with her. I still think it's just not enough time to adjust.

Currently there are 6 guards/wings averaging 10+ minutes per game. 7 players is a lot to work thru the rotation, probably somebody is going to end up sitting a lot. Who is most likely? Rodgers? Colson? Probably not somebody that has been starting all year.

They've gotta scramble to hang onto one of the top 4 seeds. The way they are playing I don't think they're going to last long in the playoffs, so the move probably won't pay much in the way of dividends.

I think they've still gotta figure out their identity. Is the team built around Wilson, or Cambage? Kinda hard to be both. McBride is a premium scorer but she's taken on a reduced role this year. Jackie Young has had her moments but she's a work in progress. Plum had a good second year in the league, settled into being the #3 scoring option and was efficient. Now she's an afterthought and she's been struggling most of the year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I will admit that I don't follow the WNBA like I follow UConn WBB but this season I looked at some games if Minnesota, Chicago, or Washington are playing.
So my question is this (without having looked at all the WNBA threads), how is Azura doing this season? I have seen posts about DT, Kia, Pheesa, Lou but must have missed the ones about Azura.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So my question is this (without having looked at all the WNBA threads), how is Azura doing this season? I have seen posts about DT, Kia, Pheesa, Lou but must have missed the ones about Azura.

She's only played in 9 games this season. I don't know what her status is, but she must be injured.

edit--hasn't played since the end of June

Reaction Score
She's only played in 9 games this season. I don't know what her status is, but she must be injured.

edit--hasn't played since the end of June

She is injured. She had a concussion at the beginning of the year. And has been in a walking boot for a while

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anyway I think McBride can create her own shot, but she hasn't been quite the same player this year as last.

Hasn't been the same player? How so? Her scoring is down because her usage and minutes are down. But her advanced stats are pretty similar. PER is down but win shares are up. Shooting percentages are up. Assists down a little bit. Overall, I don't see a significant difference.

On the subject of creating one's one shot, she's always been more of a catch-and-shoot player to me. She can create her own shot but that's not her best role.

I genuinely didn't realize Piph was still open to playing in the NBA. She's potentially a useful asset if she has something left in the tank. I guess she's been just chilling since the Russian season ended so she should be fresh.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I will admit that I don't follow the WNBA like I follow UConn WBB but this season I looked at some games if Minnesota, Chicago, or Washington are playing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hasn't been the same player? How so? Her scoring is down because her usage and minutes are down.

Well she and Wilson are both down about 4 1/2 ppg from last year. That is statistically significant. Yes it's because they are shooting less often, and yes the team is better. She's not as much of a go to offensive threat this year, she's more of a complimentary player. That is different.

Also, I don't know about last year, but McBride has been inconsistent this season (as have ALL of their guards). She's had several real stinkers. Laimbeer just benched her for the entire second half against Indiana.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray having an inhuman 3Q. 22 pts in the quarter including 4-4 from 3 with hands in her face. Wow.

Edit: While her 4Q was pedestrian, she hits the 20' shot with 6 seconds to take an insurmountable 87-83. Indiana foolishly played her straight up leaving a fairly open shot.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If Chicago keeps this level of play up through the end of the season, I think there's a very strong chance that James Wade wins Coach of the Year. Don't tell Katie Lou's mom.

"Siri - define hubris"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I might have to buy me a Chelsea Gray Jersey/shirt :cool:

"Siri - define hubris"

Think i might have to pass you my jinx crown :rolleyes: You might have to get it retro-fitted however

Reaction Score
In Sky/Wings game Gabby and Samuelson played a combined 16 minutes with no points and 0-5 shooting in a Wings road upset win. Gabby has been way off the mark on driving layups lately. It’s good to see her trying to create but she is still not quite able to convert to help the team with key end of quarter buckets which several of her misses have been. All in all, Gabby has still been a positive this year contributing with the rest of her game and playing multiple roles. Very cool seeing her playing point and the next quarter guarding a power forward lol! She’s going to make it as a pg, just going to take more time. I like James Wade making her play pg. Smart but very difficult adjustment.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I believe w/ tonight's action Phoenix became the 8th and final team to clinch a playoff berth. Indiana made it a bit interesting for a minute, but too little too late.

edit--#6-8 is a dogfight w/ 3 teams within 1/2 game of each other. Who wants the #4 seed? Vegas and Chicago both stumbling, somebody has to get it. LA in the #3 slot currently.

Reaction Score
Taurasi has been very rusty since returning. Last 3 games shot 2-26. Phoenix has won 2 of the 3 though. She was 0-7 tonight in the win with zero points in 25 minutes but 8 dimes. She is 2-30 (6%) from the floor on the year.

Reaction Score
Taurasi has been very rusty since returning. Last 3 games shot 2-26. Phoenix has won 2 of the 3 though. She was 0-7 tonight in the win with zero points in 25 minutes but 8 dimes. She is 2-30 (6%) from the floor on the year.
She looks terrible, and she pulled up limping (no contact I could see) at the end of regulation last night (didn’t play the final 1:45 or so of crunch time).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
"Siri - define hubris"
Chicago just lost to Minnesota who is .500 and Dallas at home, who is 10-20. By the way, Minnesota would be 2 games under .500 if they hadnt swept the Sky. The Sky have a home game left vs Phoenix and road games vs the top 2 teams, Connecticut and Washington. They could lose 5 straight going into playoffs. Dont think that will get a coach of the year award. Then again they could win all 3 and, maybe, get him an award. We shall see.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Karlie Samuelson signed a 7day contract with the Wings

It will be kinda weird to see her with someone other than LA, even though that was off and on.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
From box score looks like the Mystics went w/ a big starting lineup--EDD, Meesseman and Sanders (along w/ Cloud and Atkins).

edit--Mystics up big. EDD and Meesseman combined have equaled Dallas' scoring total.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Washington cant miss from 3. 8-9.

Arike pissed at the time out. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members