Aubrey | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aubrey

Reaction Score
The problem with staying is she's already on the older side, and they do value going out with their class, how much I don't know, but it's been mentioned in passing over the years (e.g. Tuck). Never mind the issues it creates with roster management.
If she could score a couple of NIL deals I'm sure Aubrey would stay ...

Reaction Score
If she could score a couple of NIL deals I'm sure Aubrey would stay ...
Maybe. It's also possible as a 21-22-23 year old you just kinda wanna get on with life after having spent the better part of the last two decades in school.

Reaction Score
Aubrey was one who got lost on defense today, first basket by Creighton to start their run in the second half for example. Caroline was on a minute restriction.
Early in the season against Iowa, Caroline coming back from missing most of early season practices, during another comeback Caroline comes in for Aubrey and never had to come out.
The bottom line is that they switched Caroline & Aubrey for Offense & Defense when it counted, which made all kinds of sense, since Aubrey provides greater quickness and hops on Defense , and Caroline has a more complete inventory of offensive weapons. You will continue to see that in close situations.

Reaction Score
Maybe. It's also possible as a 21-22-23 year old you just kinda wanna get on with life after having spent the better part of the last two decades in school.

You would think, especially in this day and age. I wish Aubrey all the best with her choices.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Every single Husky had several defensive breakdowns yesterday. Aubrey did more to cover her teammates mistakes then anyone. If you get a chance, take another look at the game film and you will see Aubrey constantly moving on defense, shutting off backdoor cuts, closing hard on open shooters at the arc, blocking shots, tipping balls and otherwise harassing Creighton all over the court.

It’s great to have Caroline back. But no other UConn player is capable of doing what Aubrey does on the court. If Azzi comes back, I could see her starting over Aubrey. But Caroline will come off the bench for the foreseeable future with Aubrey starting at the wing.

Reaction Score
She could also go play overseas for a season to develop instead of doing that for one more season at UConn before entering the 2024 draft. That's a possibility I have not seen mentioned, but I believe that's what Diamond DeShields did.

Reaction Score
It is easier to coach skill than athleticism and drive. Aubrey has a lot of upside. Even if playing time were to go down next year, her value to professional teams will go up. Her shooting will improve, her knowledge of the game will deepen and she will gain in playing experience.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The bottom line is that they switched Caroline & Aubrey for Offense & Defense when it counted, which made all kinds of sense, since Aubrey provides greater quickness and hops on Defense , and Caroline has a more complete inventory of offensive weapons. You will continue to see that in close situations.
The bottom line Caroline was on a time restriction, but Geno said post game if the game went into OT he wax ignoring that and Caroline was playing all 5 minutes. Then who was going to be sitting?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Throughout the game Creighton’s motion offense and ball movement gave UConn trouble, resulting in a number of defensive breakdowns, as you point out, from several Huskies. At the same time, Aubrey was the most active UConn player providing “help defense” to everyone else on the team, making numerous primary and secondary switches to cover opponents who were breaking open. At times it felt like Aubrey was guarding 2 or 3 Creighton players at the same time.

Undoubtedly, Caroline & Azzi are better offensive players than Aubrey. But Aubrey is the best defensive player in the conference. Geno will play the players who give UConn the best chance of winning, depending on how each game unfolds. Whomever that is, it’ll be so much better to actually have options beyond playing the starting 5 for 40 minutes each.
Best defensive player, seriously. Just gets lost too often, not a good team defender. A good athlete sometimes makes up for mistakes with athleticism.

Reaction Score
We'll have to wait and see what Aubrey decides but the fact that she has opted out of being recognized on Senior night suggests to me that her inclination is to return. She missed an entire year of 'being a part of the team' as reportedly she was home in Ossining, NY for much of the season. This is a tight group so making the decision to leave, with eligibility remaining, has to in part be colored by leaving that behind. I think that will be a large piece of the equation for her in deciding on staying or not.

There is little doubt that if she returns her minutes will be less than this season, given the likely hood that Paige and Azzi will be fully healthy and the other returning and incoming players all will be taking up some (and perhaps a lot) of her minutes. She is, I am sure aware of that, so I don't believe her decision will be based on potential playing time at Uconn but much more so - if she feels ready to be done with college and more significantly leave her teammates.

Reaction Score
I hope Aubrey hangs around another year at Uconn. Next year she will either start or be off the bench regularly. She
will have time to improve her offense game and regain some of the offensive strength she showed in High School. One
more year will make her a solid professional player...something all Adrian Griffin kids seem to become.

Reaction Score
Oops! Here is a different take. Aubrey’s stock is unlikely to be higher than it is this season. Many posters are this board have already predicted she won’t be a starter next year. Even if she is, her minutes are likely to be much lower than this year and other players returning from injuries are likely to be the “featured” stars. Add to that the risk of re-injury to a fragile back and the fact that pros have way more time and resources to develop their game, and you can make a reasonable argument that her best time to go pro is after this year! I hope that is not her decision, but it is not crazy if she does!
Aubrey has been a great (and surprising) asset this year, as she's really upped her game. Of course, she's had more opportunity than might have been expected had everyone been healthy. Nonetheless, she would provide excellent bench strength even if she gets less playing time next season.
As for her "fragile back," it seems not to exist. I've cringed many times when she's fallen hard on the boards, yet only once have I seen her clutch her back after contact.
There are many variables at play for Aubrey; we don't know what all of them are. Does she aspire to the pros or to some other occupation? Is she getting her degree after this school year? We really know very little about her plans, but I am extremely grateful to her for giving us this excellent season.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Do you watch the games ?
Every one and replay every offensive and defensive possession. If she is able on defense to be isolated guarding one player with no switching, UConn switches every screen, she is good although she does get beat off the dribble often and neglects to go out to 3 point shooters often.

KCD

Reaction Score
Best defensive player, seriously. Just gets lost too often, not a good team defender. A good athlete sometimes makes up for mistakes with athleticism.
In the Creighton game, the announcers showed a clip of Aubrey playing help defense and described it as something like textbook help defense and that she had been doing that all game. And she does that on a regular basis for UConn. I'm sorry, but I 180% disagree with you. I agree with the announcers and my own decades (more than half of a century) of watching and playing and believe that she is an excellent defender. All of the girls have been making more mistakes lately due to mental and physical fatigue. But getting Carolyn back should help with this.

Reaction Score
Every one and replay every offensive and defensive possession. If she is able on defense to be isolated guarding one player with no switching, UConn switches every screen, she is good although she does get beat off the dribble often and neglects to go out to 3 point shooters often.
Maybe try rewatching again

sun

Reaction Score
The WNBA will definitely be expanding with new teams to begin playing in the next 2 - 4 years with Toronto being one of the leading cities to be selected and affiliated with the Raptors.
Her family connections may provide her with options about where to play to best build up her BB capital for a future WNBA draft that includes more teams.
Whether to continue playing at UConn or not & for how long is part of the puzzle.
Maybe there's a possibility that she would leave if there was an overseas BB opportunity that appealed to her more than UConn.
Otherwise she'll probably be back if Geno agrees.

Report: WNBA Has 'Given the Checkmark' to Toronto's Infrastructure for Expansion Team

Toronto already has the infrastructure and capital required for a WNBA expansion team in the city

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The WNBA will definitely be expanding with new teams to begin playing in the next 2 - 4 years with Toronto being one of the leading cities to be selected and affiliated with the Raptors.
Her family connections may provide her with options about where to play to best build up her BB capital for a future WNBA draft that includes more teams.
Whether to continue playing at UConn or not & for how long is part of the puzzle.
Maybe there's a possibility that she would leave if there was an overseas BB opportunity that appealed to her more than UConn.
Otherwise she'll probably be back if Geno agrees.

Report: WNBA Has 'Given the Checkmark' to Toronto's Infrastructure for Expansion Team

Toronto already has the infrastructure and capital required for a WNBA expansion team in the city

I think one more year at UConn to work on diversifying her offense skills would be wise. I assume we'll see a starting lineup of Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Aaliyah next season if she returns, so she'll have plenty of opportunity to shine ahead of the 2024 draft.

Reaction Score
Strictly speaking on my part, I really hope that she returns, because I really would like her to depart with National Championship. Who knows what would have happened last season if she had been available to play. But hopefully next year will be injury free and we will have a fantastic season. As stated above, I would really love her to leave with a NC, which I am sure is one of the major factors in her decision to attend UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom