Aubrey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He did have some good news to report. Griffin, who is on pace to graduate, has another year of eligibility, and though there is no official announcement, Auriemma said she has told him she does not want to be honored on Senior Night. So he expects to have her back with presumably a healthy Paige Bueckers and Fudd and the rest of the cast next season.
:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll take that bet. Aaliyah is not coming off the bench. And whether or not any Big East teams start two post players, I'm pretty sure UCONN's sites will be set on something higher than the BE championship.
So who starts in place of Aubrey: Amari, Ayanna, Ice, Jana or Quadence? Amari & Ice have yet to demonstrate the ability necessary to start at UConn. Ice will be coming off surgery, having yet to play a minute at UConn. Jana & Quadence will be freshmen with no college playing time.

The other option is that UConn starts a 4-guard lineup with Paige, Azzi, Caroline & Nika. While I believe there will be times when UConn will spread the floor with 4 guards, I don’t think that lineup starts the game for the Huskies.

Finally, due to injuries, we have not seen very much of UConn’s diamond press this season which Geno loves to employ at the start of the game to speed up opponents, force turnovers and lead to transition baskets. Hopefully, next season UConn will have up to 13 players to run in and out of games. With her long arms and legs and freakish athleticism, no Husky is more relentless on the point of the diamond press than Aubrey.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
He did have some good news to report. Griffin, who is on pace to graduate, has another year of eligibility, and though there is no official announcement, Auriemma said she has told him she does not want to be honored on Senior Night. So he expects to have her back with presumably a healthy Paige Bueckers and Fudd and the rest of the cast next season.
A slight correction. Aubrey has 2 additional years of eligibility: last year when she was out along with a Covid year granted to all NCAA players two years ago.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno will talk to his WNBA connections to give Aubrey a realistic idea of where she would be drafted if she left UConn after this season.......I agree with the consensus that says she stays one more year to work on adding consistency to her midrange and three-point shooting.........

Reaction Score
So who starts in place of Aubrey: Amari, Ayanna, Ice, Jana or Quadence? Amari & Ice have yet to demonstrate the ability necessary to start at UConn. Ice will be coming off surgery, having yet to play a minute at UConn. Jana & Quadence will be freshmen with no college playing time.

The other option is that UConn starts a 4-guard lineup with Paige, Azzi, Caroline & Nika. While I believe there will be times when UConn will spread the floor with 4 guards, I don’t think that lineup starts the game for the Huskies.

Finally, due to injuries, we have not seen very much of UConn’s diamond press this season which Geno loves to employ at the start of the game to speed up opponents, force turnovers and lead to transition baskets. Hopefully, next season UConn will have up to 13 players to run in and out of games. With her long arms and legs and freakish athleticism, no Husky is more relentless on the point of the diamond press than Aubrey.
Totally agree. Well stated

Reaction Score
Geno wouldn’t sit a senior for a freshman. If Aubrey stays, she will start
That means assuming no injuries the starting 5 is set if Aubrey comes back: the four seniors plus Azzi.

CL82

Reaction Score
Geno wouldn’t sit a senior for a freshman. If Aubrey stays, she will start
I disagree with the first sentence, but agree with the second. Geno would sit a senior if there was a freshman who is better. I fully agree that looking at who is on the roster next year. It is very likely that Aubrey is starting. Heck, she would likely be the best player on the vast majority of the one teams. Just my opinion on that.

Reactions: KCD

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw Aubrey play a high school game against a very good team from Baltimore. It was an extremely uptempo game, with a score of roughly 90-80 (in 32 minutes). There were stretches when Aubrey looked a little tired, understandably, but also stretches when she took over the game with blocks, steals, rebounds, layups, and 3-pointers. Her play reminded me of Maya Moore's dominance against St. Elizabeth of Delaware in a Seattle tournament years earlier. Aubrey needs a little more confidence and a little better shooting, but there are not many players in college who have her athleticism. I'd love to see her come back for at least one year and play with Paige, Azzi, Liya, et al.

Reaction Score
WRT the bolded item ..... did Geno actually say this?, or is this an editorial comment?

CL82

Reaction Score
WRT the bolded item ..... did Geno actually say this?, or is this an editorial comment?
It is a quote from the article, so if it is, I guess, it is the authors, gas, and not mine.

Reaction Score
Not participating in Senior night activities makes me think she will be back. Another year could be both good and bad for her. Right now she showing off her skills, how valuable a player she is, how much she has grown. Next year, while the potential for growth is there.... if we have a healthy team.... please God let us have a healthy team...... There will be a full roster of players to contend with. We lose Lou and Dorka, but gain back Paige, Caroline, Azzi, and Ice... to add in with the four freshman we have coming in next year. Hopefully playing time to be spread out amongst all of them... where players could average like 20-25 minutes per game instead of 35 minutes per game.
Reduced minutes with high caliber players.... could result in Griffins numbers/stats declining next year. While I would love to have her back, and think she would learn a lot coming back, the question that only she can answer is:

Is now the time?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Choice between Paige, Caroline, Azzi, Aubrey pick 3
I think we got the answer tonight, with the game on the line a coming back from injury, still injured as witnessed by the ice pack on her neck, Caroline was on the court., Aubrey not.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we got the answer tonight, with the game on the line a coming back from injury, still injured as witnessed by the ice pack on her neck, Caroline was on the court., Aubrey not.
Au contraire. After Caroline’s 2 FT’s, Geno subbed Aubrey in for Caroline on defense. Saturday against Maddy Siegrist, who’s gone off for 50 & 39 in her last two games, Aubrey will be the primary defensive option.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Au contraire. After Caroline’s 2 FT’s, Geno subbed Aubrey in for Caroline on defense. Saturday against Maddy Siegrist, who’s gone off for 50 & 39 in her last two games, Aubrey will be the primary defensive option.
Aubrey was one who got lost on defense today, first basket by Creighton to start their run in the second half for example. Caroline was on a minute restriction.
Early in the season against Iowa, Caroline coming back from missing most of early season practices, during another comeback Caroline comes in for Aubrey and never had to come out.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Geno was subbing Aubrey for defense and Caroline for offense at the end of the game
Post game Geno said wanted Caroline to play no more than 20 minutes. A healthy Caroline is just a better all around player than Aubrey, period.
And post game press conference Geno added if the game went into overtime she was playing all 5 minutes.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aubrey was one who got lost on defense today, first basket by Creighton to start their run in the second half for example. Caroline was on a minute restriction.
Early in the season against Iowa, Caroline coming back from missing most of early season practices, during another comeback Caroline comes in for Aubrey and never had to come out.
Aubrey had a couple defensive breakdowns, as did several Huskies. Aubrey was also all over the court on defense, switching constantly while making several excellent defensive plays. UConn will need both Aubrey & Caroline down the stretch.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Aubrey had a couple defensive breakdowns, as did several Huskies. Aubrey was also all over the court on defense, switching constantly while making several excellent defensive plays. UConn will need both Aubrey & Caroline down the stretch.
Granted both, will be needed unless Azzi comes back then Aubrey less so. Everyone switches on UConn constantly, those today who made bad team defensive decisions the most Aaliyah, Aubrey, Dorka.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Granted both, will be needed unless Azzi comes back then Aubrey less so. Everyone switches on UConn constantly, those today who made bad team defensive decisions the most Aaliyah, Aubrey, Dorka.
Throughout the game Creighton’s motion offense and ball movement gave UConn trouble, resulting in a number of defensive breakdowns, as you point out, from several Huskies. At the same time, Aubrey was the most active UConn player providing “help defense” to everyone else on the team, making numerous primary and secondary switches to cover opponents who were breaking open. At times it felt like Aubrey was guarding 2 or 3 Creighton players at the same time.

Undoubtedly, Caroline & Azzi are better offensive players than Aubrey. But Aubrey is the best defensive player in the conference. Geno will play the players who give UConn the best chance of winning, depending on how each game unfolds. Whomever that is, it’ll be so much better to actually have options beyond playing the starting 5 for 40 minutes each.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She needs another year to refine a few things and/or I just want her to stay! She is gonna be so much more special next season. Hope her Dad advises her to stay another year.
I hope Aubrey stays her remaining two more years of eligibility. She should let UCONN pay for her masters degree then try the professional game. Being a pro for Aubrey is not a sure thing. Having a master would be most beneficial. Nika most maturely said plan B is needed. See the video snippet below.

Reaction Score
I hope she stays her two more years of eligibility. She should let UCONN pay for her masters degree then try the professional game. Nika most maturely said plan B is needed. See the video snippet below.

The problem with staying is she's already on the older side, and they do value going out with their class, how much I don't know, but it's been mentioned in passing over the years (e.g. Tuck). Never mind the issues it creates with roster management.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom