Aubrey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Disagree, she is inexperienced at this level and especially so for the demands the Uconn system puts on a player, nothing more, nothing less. She had the freedom in high school to just play and her natural ability, athleticism and hard nosed play was able to dominate at that level. She will be more than fine, given the time to learn to blend and play within the system.
Aubrey has not shown any variety to her game as of yet. And until she does I don't think she'll be fine. Where's the pull-up jumper? Where's the 3-point shot? NOT taking shots during a game can be habit-forming. Look at Molly and Kyla, eh?

Reaction Score
Aubrey has not shown any variety to her game as of yet. And until she does I don't think she'll be fine. Where's the pull-up jumper? Where's the 3-point shot? NOT taking shots during a game can be habit-forming. Look at Molly and Kyla, eh?
We haven’t seen any mid range game from Aubrey but she didn’t miss from that location in warm ups last night.

Reaction Score
We haven’t seen any mid range game from Aubrey but she didn’t miss from that location in warm ups last night.
Sounds good .. but as Kyrie sez, "Practice & repetition drills are fine, but if you don't do it during a game, you don't have it"

Reaction Score
She is not being asked to do those things, in fact, I am sure she is being told not to. Did you really think she was going to come in and get the freedom she had in HS with Dangerfield, Walker, Williams and Ono on the team? This is not Ossining and she has to learn how to play in a free flowing but structured system, not come here firing up shots like she was able to do in HS. With all due respect, it seems you need to transition your thinking from HS ball to D1 also.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Longer, yes, but more athletic????? I don't think so ..... maybe close to as athletic but Gabby could jump out of the gym as an undersized forward/center
With our mind we see senior Gabby as a dominating force. As the uber athletic Gabulous One. With our eyes we see freshman Aubrey with tantalizing glimpses of lightening athleticism. She is 'Aubrelicious'.

To compare our memory of a senior with the play of a freshman is a complement to the freshman. But not a fair appraisal. Aubrey will never be Gabby. She may be even more. So lets just enjoy the thrill she gives us and after she graduates compare her to a NDPOY.

Reaction Score
As one of Aubrey's admirers [from high school] i m disappointed that she has been unable to "get it together" at UConn, eh? Flashes of brilliance here-and-there, but nothing consistent.
Aubrey, IMHO, needs to add some stop-n-go to her game, like Chrystyn Williams. More deception. More finesse. Less straight line, more zig-zag.
Sandy Koufax didn't become a gr8 pitcher until he added a slooow change-up to his amazzzing fastball, isn't that so? Koufax added deception and unpredictability to his game which made him a star. Aubrey needs to do the same.
A player who hasn’t quite figured out how to take advantage of the physical gifts they were born with.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if someone who has been to games if they have seen Aubrey dunk. During a recent broadcast (I think on CBS) they mentioned her dunking in warmups. Now if so that would be real ups! I know she tried one during first night.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sounds good .. but as Kyrie sez, "Practice & repetition drills are fine, but if you don't do it during a game, you don't have it"
But I guarantee Kyrie didn't get that handle and that uncanny ability to finish outside of practice and repetition. The gym is where you learn the skill. The game is where you apply it.

Reaction Score
But I guarantee Kyrie didn't get that handle and that uncanny ability to finish outside of practice and repetition. The gym is where you learn the skill. The game is where you apply it.
Eggzackly! .. this is what I meant when I quoted Kyrie...

Reaction Score
As an elite and almost Olympic high jumper, no one has Gabby's elevation. But Aubrey is quicker, faster, and overall, more athletic IMHO.
I think the comparison with Gabby should be taken as a compliment, rather than as a realistic comparison. How does one measure " athleticism?" Everyone on the team is an exceptional athlete. Some are superior basketball players, as well. No one will out-jump Gabby, because she was trained as an olympic-quality high jumper ( best in the world kind of thing ). And being good enough to be considered an olympic qualifier is quite the athletic distinction. But in a 40 yard sprint; Gabby vs, Aubrey? Who knows? Gabby had the fastest hands ( on defense ) we have seen in years. Does Aubrey have the same? She might. In the end, is Aubrey going to be a better basketball player? Possibly...because she has been at it longer than Gabby, by freshman year at UCONN. Don't forget; Gabby missed almost two years of HS ball due to surgeries. In any case, we shall never know the answer to the best athlete question, although it is hard to not lean toward Gabby, due to the olympic thing. I am wasting too much of your time. It was a high compliment to give Aubrey, even if we may not all immediately accept it as fact.

Reaction Score
I am from Jersey and knew and coached against Irving when he was at St. Pat’s. He had his own thoughts on things even then but one thing I greatly admired about him, even as a high schooler he was interested in finding out things on his own and thinking for himself. Now as for some of those thoughts!!
But that is just a joking remark, our uniqueness is what makes the world go round, at least for me.

Reaction Score
The first time Mickey faced Sandy the lefty threw a fastball up and in for a strike. The next pitch was a 12/6 curve on the outside corner. Mickey turned to the ump and said, "How the hell am I supposed to hit that spit?"
In the second game that Mantle faced Koufax (game 4 1963 WS), he hit a home run off of Sandy for the Yankees only run.
In the 1965 World Series, the Dodgers had this choice for starting pitcher in game 7.
They could pitch future Hall of Famer, Don Drysdale, on his normal 3 days rest, or Koufax on 2 days rest. They chose to go with Sandy. He shutout the Twins, giving up 3 hits and striking out 10.
Because of the short rest, Sandy didn't have anything resembling his normal curveball. So what did he do ? He threw 95% fastballs over the last 7 innings or so. Even though the Twins knew what was coming, they still couldn't hit it.
Statistical analysis was virtually non existent back then. But thanks to a dedicated group of baseball fans/statisticians, who inputted the data from old scoresheets, a few interesting stats have come to light.
How's this ?
The difference in lifetime road ERA between Koufax and Marichal is .01 (Marichal 3.03 - Koufax 3.04).

Reaction Score
In 1963, Juan Marichal and Warren Spahn both pitched complete games in a 1-0 game won in the bottom of the 16th on a Willie Mays home run; greatest pitching duel in the history of baseball. Spahn threw just over 200 pitches in the game and his only walk was intentional. Just as astounding, Spahn led the NL in complete games that year with 22 at the age of 42. Different era, different game back then. I used to laugh at my uncle who passed on his love of baseball to me when he would talk about the “good old days”; now it’s me lamenting the changes.

JordyG

Reaction Score
In the second game that Mantle faced Koufax (game 4 1963 WS), he hit a home run off of Sandy for the Yankees only run.
In the 1965 World Series, the Dodgers had this choice for starting pitcher in game 7.
They could pitch future Hall of Famer, Don Drysdale, on his normal 3 days rest, or Koufax on 2 days rest. They chose to go with Sandy. He shutout the Twins, giving up 3 hits and striking out 10.
Because of the short rest, Sandy didn't have anything resembling his normal curveball. So what did he do ? He threw 95% fastballs over the last 7 innings or so. Even though the Twins knew what was coming, they still couldn't hit it.
Statistical analysis was virtually non existent back then. But thanks to a dedicated group of baseball fans/statisticians, who inputted the data from old scoresheets, a few interesting stats have come to light.
How's this ?
The difference in lifetime road ERA between Koufax and Marichal is .01 (Marichal 3.03 - Koufax 3.04).
Nice.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kyrie is a talented basketball player but he is a bit of an odd fellow.
One of my most salient of pet peeves. Not to create too much thread drift, but oddness doesn't seem necessary for people to believe the Earth is flat. I've seen some very intelligent people become proponents of Geocentric Theory proofs, while completely ignorant to the fact that these theories have been debunked hundreds of times, hundreds of years ago. Not to mention that none of them are capable of creating a map of the Earth that can't be crushed by observable events in the natural world. I've seen many who think, because they are intelligent and are perhaps experts in their chosen field, that their expertise in completely unrelated fields makes them experts in earth sciences.

Worse are the Generation Z's and Generation Alpha's who think research is their 20 minutes spent on the internet; they are those who continued mantra is "since I don't understand it, I don't believe it". 1 out of 3 Millennials and post Millennials believe the earth is flat, and at least another 1/3 of this group are "on the fence". These are not all idiots, some are of a high order of intelligence, though many would make Dunning and Kruger facepalm. Also understand, if you don't believe the Earth is a sphere then you don't believe in gravity. It's all a belief, as Keats said, written in water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger