Aubrey | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aubrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds good .. but as Kyrie sez, "Practice & repetition drills are fine, but if you don't do it during a game, you don't have it"
You are right of course the game is the thing. But Aubrey is doing just fine in doing what she knows will work and what works gets her more PT. She rebounds, lays up, attacks the basket and has no fear running the court to make that lay up. A 3 ball if Geno needs from her will come. Until then she needs to concentrate on doing those things Coach asks---REBOUND and defend in the post and when the opportunity arises take it to the hoop. Aubrey is doing exactly right for Uconn. By March we'll talk again and see what she needs to do then.

Reaction Score
I think the comparison with Gabby should be taken as a compliment, rather than as a realistic comparison. How does one measure " athleticism?" Everyone on the team is an exceptional athlete. Some are superior basketball players, as well. No one will out-jump Gabby, because she was trained as an olympic-quality high jumper ( best in the world kind of thing ). And being good enough to be considered an olympic qualifier is quite the athletic distinction. But in a 40 yard sprint; Gabby vs, Aubrey? Who knows? Gabby had the fastest hands ( on defense ) we have seen in years. Does Aubrey have the same? She might. In the end, is Aubrey going to be a better basketball player? Possibly...because she has been at it longer than Gabby, by freshman year at UCONN. Don't forget; Gabby missed almost two years of HS ball due to surgeries. In any case, we shall never know the answer to the best athlete question, although it is hard to not lean toward Gabby, due to the olympic thing. I am wasting too much of your time. It was a high compliment to give Aubrey, even if we may not all immediately accept it as fact.
Rightly so we tend to lean toward the Uconn Star and remember the star as a Jr/Sr. Aubrey is NOT Gabby nor is Gabby Aubrey. Both/each are unique. No point trying to plug them both in the same hole they won't fit.
I hope all these Freshman comments about ONO/CW/Aubrey/Ania, etc are remembered in 3 plus years. None will be Stef, DT, Nurse, Gabby, Stewie but they may be superior.

Reaction Score
I took physics once nEVER AGAIN i never recovered from it. I wake up in a cold sweat from trying to apply math. I can apply butter or mayonaise where do you apply math?
BV I know by whence you talk. It took five years of therapy and a course in elementary basket weaving before I could come out of my shell and switch to business math.

Reaction Score
You are right of course the game is the thing. But Aubrey is doing just fine in doing what she knows will work and what works gets her more PT. She rebounds, lays up, attacks the basket and has no fear running the court to make that lay up. A 3 ball if Geno needs from her will come. Until then she needs to concentrate on doing those things Coach asks---REBOUND and defend in the post and when the opportunity arises take it to the hoop. Aubrey is doing exactly right for Uconn. By March we'll talk again and see what she needs to do then.
Good plan .. let's see what March brings...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Sounds good .. but as Kyrie sez, "Practice & repetition drills are fine, but if you don't do it during a game, you don't have it"
Jingo, I know you are an Aubrey fan but also to be fair to her, the next mid-range jumper or 3 pointer that Gabby makes will be her first. Gabby for as great an athlete and unbelievable defender, was just brutal on jump shots. Aubrey will gain that touch as I am sure her father will drill those repetitions into her between the seasons. The other thing to consider is Aubrey will get more playing time this year than Gabby did her freshman year due to such a short bench. It's Jan 4th and we haven't even played 1/3 of our games yet. The lessons she is learning are invaluable just like the lessons Liv learned with the National team. I like the way we are progressing. :)

Reaction Score
She is not being asked to do those things, in fact, I am sure she is being told not to.
You could be right but, as I said, NOT taking shots during a game can be habit-forming. Look at Molly and Kyla, eh? Catch-22 IMO.

Reaction Score
And all three players not taking shots when they are open, eh?

Let’s see. One was a rated recruit. The other two were not. One is a freshman already seeing time early in her career. The other two have struggled to get playing time in four years at UConn. One already has a career scoring high of 25 points, the other two have not scored 20 in a game. Yep, you’re right. Exactly the same situation.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Let’s see. One was a rated recruit. The other two were not. One is a freshman already seeing time early in her career. The other two have struggled to get playing time in four years at UConn. One already has a career scoring high of 25 points, the other two have not scored 20 in a game. Yep, you’re right. Exactly the same situation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And all three players not taking shots when they are open, eh?
Kyla is playing so well this year because Geno finally convinced her she doesn’t have to do it all. All Geno wants is for Kyla to play to her strengths- rebounds, set screens, take charges, pass to the shooters, and play defense. With Crystal, Meg, Christyn, and Liv on the court, Geno doesn’t need Kyla and Molly to be shooters. I have zero complaints about the way those two are playing this year.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Kyla is playing so well this year because Geno finally convinced her she doesn’t have to do it all. All Geno wants is for Kyla to play to her strengths- rebounds, set screens, take charges, pass to the shooters, and play defense. With Crystal, Meg, Christyn, and Liv on the court, Geno doesn’t need Kyla and Molly to be shooters. I have zero complaints about the way those two are playing this year.
I think Kyla's play in the last three or four games has deteriorated a bit as Anna's play has improved. The nifty assists that Kyla was getting in the early games have morphed into turnovers as she makes ill-advised passes. And although she and Anna are about the same size, I think Anna is a stronger rebounder.

I predict that Anna will replace Kyla in the starting lineup pretty soon, maybe in the next week.

I wish Geno could find a way to use Molly's shooting more often. I did not see any reluctance on her part to take shots against Wichita State, but she really didn't have any opportunity that I saw to take an open shot in her brief minutes. I understand Geno's dilemma -- the whole team really works better on offense with Crystal in the game, and if Christyn plays consistently the way she played against Wichita State, it doesn't make sense to take her out very often either. (Rebounding would suffer noticeably if she went to the bench for any period of time.) So putting Molly in while Crystal and Christyn are already on the floor would put a third small player into the game on a height-challenged team. I assume that is why Geno continues to limit Molly's minutes, rather than any continuing deficiency in her play.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% altho Kyla has hit some key treys this year .. which means they can't leave her alone, eh?

Reaction Score
Apples are not oranges .. I merely said they all should shoot when they are open .. Kyla has already hit some key treys this year and Molly won the 3-point shooting contest on opening night, eh? Aubrey has not shown [yet] that she can hit the mid-range shot or from distance. Ratings don't mean much to me; what one does in the games count .. and this is a new season for Molly and Kyla where they appear to be stepping up, eh?

Reaction Score
Apples are not oranges .. I merely said they all should shoot when they are open .. Kyla has already hit some key treys this year and Molly won the 3-point shooting contest on opening night, eh? Aubrey has not shown [yet] that she can hit the mid-range shot or from distance. Ratings don't mean much to me; what one does in the games count .. and this is a new season for Molly and Kyla where they appear to be stepping up, eh?

Do statistics mean anything to you? Kyla has 21 shot attempts in 200 minutes. Aubrey has 48 shots in 171 minutes. So explain to me why you insist on lumping them in the same category.

Reaction Score
In fact, Aubrey is shooting at approximately the same rate as Crystal, who has 109 shot attempts in 337 minutes.

Reaction Score
Agree with all points but believe most of the posts regarding Kyla relate to what UConn needs in the future against top teams, not how she has done against 2nd tier competition. With focus on the 4 starters, likely someone should be open. Kyla has proven she can shoot and pass but typically only from a standing position, making her easier to guard. Against Baylor, will likely need someone (i.e. Anna) who can move and create movement/flow the others take advantage of.

Reaction Score
Aubrey doesnt and shouldnt play to fulfill any fan's far-fetched expectations. She's simply doing what's being asked of her: 100% effort, play defense, rebound. In those aspects, she is excelling and ahead of schedule.

Reaction Score
I think Kyla will probably start all our games and fulfill her role as a senior. I think the freshman Anna has nerves and this gives Anna a chance to see how the game is playing and be mentally ready to come in and make things happen. Too bad we didn't have someone last year to play that role for CW. I think she would have had a much better freshman year and we might have had a championship.

Reaction Score
Question that I think this thread is appropriate for: Mir McLean is also supposed to be incredibly athletic correct? If that’s the case, UConn will have two ultra-athletic guards/forwards/wings—whatever their titles end up being. Has UConn ever had two players that explosively athletic at the same time? It’s also my understanding Aaliyah Edwards is pretty athletic herself, too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Question that I think this thread is appropriate for: Mir McLean is also supposed to be incredibly athletic correct? If that’s the case, UConn will have two ultra-athletic guards/forwards/wings—whatever their titles end up being. Has UConn ever had two players that explosively athletic at the same time? It’s also my understanding Aaliyah Edwards is pretty athletic herself, too.

What comes to mind most vividly is Maya / Tina (when focused like the NC).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom