Aubrey likely out for the season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aubrey likely out for the season

Reaction Score
SBNation say that if shre red shirts this season she would have three years of remaining eligibility.

That is correct. Theoretically she would need a waiver from the NCAA to be able to play in a 6th season, but they have been giving them out routinely the last couple of years for situations like hers.

Reaction Score
After years of fighting through chronic back problems, starting with HS sports, continuing through college sports, and for many years afterwards, I had lower back surgery for a herniated disc in my 50’s. After a few months of rehab, I was better than I had been in many years, including playing golf again, working out regularly and doing various projects around the house once again. Now at 66, I stretch every day, take an occasional Aleve, and I manage pretty well.

Aubrey is young, fit and much more likely to come back 100% from back surgery than an old fart like me. Surgical techniques today are far less invasive and with a solid rehab program, I have every reason to hope that Aubrey will be back on the court next year.
I'm also happy your back worked out well, but how about some truth in advertising, 66 isn't old, Dude. At least not here on the BY.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm also happy your back worked out well, but how about some truth in advertising, 66 isn't old, Dude. At least not here on the BY.
Yes I realize that here on the BY I’m just a young whipersnapper. But my grandkids think I’m ancient…..

Reaction Score
Has there been an update that her surgery was successful? I believe her surgery was Monday?

sun

Reaction Score
I knew a softball player who had a disc problem.
He said that it took about 10 days after surgery until he was basically fully recovered.
They used an enzyme to dissolve part of the disc that was causing the problem.
I realize that surgery isn't always that simple, but in some cases it is.
He would do some warm up exercises before the game and then he would be good to go.

Reaction Score
No / Been there . really obvious.
Back issues can be very difficult to fix! I’ve had severe pain since 2001 and they’ve never been able to conclusively identify what is causing it! I’m guessing if you have to have back pain, a disc problem is not the worst thing (with some exceptions obviously) as they have become so good at the surgery that is often needed to fix it. It (the surgery) is far less invasive and traumatizing than it used to be. Really, it just comes down to what kind of disc problem she has. I mean, NFL NBA players have come back from disc surgery and have had productive careers. Let’s just pray Aubrey is one of those! The biggest thing I learned over my years of pain and therapy is how important it is to keep your core strong! If you have a strong core your chances of having back issues go wayyyy down.

Reaction Score
No, because it’s none of our business

I'm sure there will be over the coming months. Since it's been explained as a disc injury, and since they've now said recovery will be four months, I'm guessing that she had spinal fusion surgery. If you have what I had- a discectomy, which is simply shaving away the bulging part of the disc that is impacting the spinal cord and causing inflammation and pain - recovery is fairly fast. For me the pain disappeared immediately. But I'm guessing that they took out her disc, then fused the two vertebrae together. That's a different ball game.

Wishing her a full recovery, and that her career resumes with the excellence she displayed before.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aubrey's little brother, A.J., had a stellar game for Duke last night. It was his first start, and he has scored in double-figures in his last 4. I think he is projected as the #22 pick in the first round this year, after his freshman season. He clearly looks like Aubrey's brother--modest and maybe a little low in confidence, but with the athleticism of the great David Thompson. If I'm an NBA GM, I'm taking him early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom