Aubrey likely out for the season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey likely out for the season

Reaction Score
Are disc injuries difficult to diagnose?
No. Only an MRI is needed to be definitive. Certain clinical tests are guides to whether one is needed. There are a variety of treatments as well including medication, physical therapy, acupuncture,epidural injections, different surgical procedures etc. The key is whether the disc has herniated and is compressing a nerve. Unfortunately I had that, the pain was excruciating and I was debilitated. I had surgery late October at HSS.

Reaction Score
She can red shirt but she doesn’t need to. She already has the extra year

Theoretically she could play three more years, although I doubt that will happen. The only season that she has played that counted was the 2020-21 season.

Reaction Score
back injuries are so hard to recover from, David Wright one of my favorite players sadly never was able to recover and had to medically retire.

Reaction Score
Consensus here that disc problem not difficult to identify, which is what I thought was the case. So, I assume they knew what the situation was, have been trying different treatments, and now say it's a disc. And she's all done for the season. Hmm.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeesh. Wonder if she can and/or would red shirt.
This (medical red shirt for Aubrey) becomes almost automatic now. However, she will not have to submit the NCAA paper work until her regular eligibility has been exhausted or in time for the 2023-24 season.

Reaction Score
So sad.

Other than Nika last season, #44 was the player I most enjoyed watching and reminded me most of the quintessential Huskie tenacity. Aubrey ALWAYS brought it to the opposition with a fierceness that I don't see much of this year.

I'm hoping Nika and Aaliyah regain the ferocity shown last year, I know injuries are a factor but a UConn keystone has historically been a defense that terrorized most opponents. Haven't seen that for a while, hope it is just dormant and not forgotten.

Best to Aubrey and hope to see her on the court in good health soon.

Reaction Score

Geez, what took so long? Backs are not always easy but this kid for what nearly 2 plus years has had issues??? The question for all, including Geno, is what does this mean to her Uconn and beyond career in Basketball???

Reaction Score
Feel for Aubrey. I know she will recover 100% and do great things for the program.

Reaction Score
Wishing Aubrey a full recovery so she can get back to being the best athlete on the court. Her tenacity and presence is sorely missed.

Reaction Score
I hope Aubrey has a successful surgery Monday and starts feeling better soon! She has a heart of gold and I hope she can make a full recovery! <3

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
Assuming she is having it at UCONN... I had my back surgery there 4+ years ago now... they were great! Wishing her a full recovery back to basketball shape for next season!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After years of fighting through chronic back problems, starting with HS sports, continuing through college sports, and for many years afterwards, I had lower back surgery for a herniated disc in my 50’s. After a few months of rehab, I was better than I had been in many years, including playing golf again, working out regularly and doing various projects around the house once again. Now at 66, I stretch every day, take an occasional Aleve, and I manage pretty well.

Aubrey is young, fit and much more likely to come back 100% from back surgery than an old fart like me. Surgical techniques today are far less invasive and with a solid rehab program, I have every reason to hope that Aubrey will be back on the court next year.

Reaction Score
Very troubling for someone so young to have a back injury serious enough to require surgery. Has there been any specific info on when this injury happened? She played 6 minutes in the loss to Arizona in FF so presumably she was ok then.

Reaction Score
Had surgery for a herniated disc 25 years ago. Easy to diagnose. They only want to make sure that the pain isn't being caused by a tumor. She was probably out so long because the doctors preferred not to perform surgery, but wait/hope that the inflammation caused by the hernia just cleared up on its own. Docs prefer doing nothing first. Pain cleared up a couple of times for me. But then the pain became debilitating. Standing up in the morning was difficult. Shifting positions in a chair sometimes created shooting electric pain down my back.

What's odd about Aubrey's injury is that this seems usually to be associated with old age, or with work associated with lots of pressure on the spine. Strange that she would suffer this kind of injury from just basketball and at such a young age.

Also a bit odd that they're saying she's done for the season. Surgery for herniated discs doesn't require a long recovery time. The pain usually clears up very fast. Maybe something else going on.

But certainly really rooting for her to come back to basketball, and also to enjoy a young life free of back pain!! Really rooting for her!!!

Reaction Score
After years of fighting through chronic back problems, starting with HS sports, continuing through college sports, and for many years afterwards, I had lower back surgery for a herniated disc in my 50’s. After a few months of rehab, I was better than I had been in many years, including playing golf again, working out regularly and doing various projects around the house once again. Now at 66, I stretch every day, take an occasional Aleve, and I manage pretty well.

Aubrey is young, fit and much more likely to come back 100% from back surgery than an old fart like me. Surgical techniques today are far less invasive and with a solid rehab program, I have every reason to hope that Aubrey will be back on the court next year.
66? You're a bit young to be an Oldude, at least from my perspective.:)

As a lifelong golfer who has experienced a few miserable years due to my back, I'm happy for you that your back is in good shape. The stretching is crucial!

Reaction Score
Very troubling for someone so young to have a back injury serious enough to require surgery. Has there been any specific info on when this injury happened? She played 6 minutes in the loss to Arizona in FF so presumably she was ok then.

She could have been fighting through the pain, or else it could have been early after the injury. In my experience, the pain caused by inflammation from hernia builds up over time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom