Aubrey Griffin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm really disappointed in quite a few of you because it took two games for many of you to point out was was clearly obvious from Aubrey's first few minutes on the floor. Plenty of minutes in her future.

Aubrey Griffin on ball defense was outstanding and is exactly what UCONN has needed since Kia Nurse graduated. She doesn't gamble, makes great use of her length and moves her feet very very well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris was also a very good defender even as a freshman. She and Nurse were two that Geno could trust pretty much from day 1 on that end of the floor.
Exactly! Aubrey will be the third, Mir will be the fourth, Edwards will be 5th. UCONN is going to be suffocating for the next couple of years with sheer athleticism and length.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Exactly! Aubrey will be the third, Mir will be the fourth, Edwards will be 5th. UCONN is going to be suffocating for the next couple of years with sheer athleticism and length.
Nobody has talked very much about Paige’s defense. She is long and athletic. I would throw her into the mix as a potentially outstanding defender.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, since boneyard, for some reason is not posting my thread, Cardoso commited to Syracuse yesterday.
Do you have a source for that information? I don’t see anything on the internet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nobody has talked very much about Paige’s defense. She is long and athletic. I would throw her into the mix as a potentially outstanding defender.
Not really. Paige will be a max effort & adequate UCONN defender but not of the ilk of Aubrey, Mir, Edwards and even Nika.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Do you have a source for that information? I don’t see anything on the internet.

Finally, someone else asking for a source. Thanks

Reaction Score
Not really. Paige will be a max effort & adequate UCONN defender but not of the ilk of Aubrey, Mir, Edwards and even Nika.

Highly speculative and way too premature concerning Paige's defensive potential in my estimation. Defense is not all length and athleticism. I contend that basketball intelligence and anticipation are at least equally important. Based on those two coupled with her 5"11" height and good foot speed I venture to say that Paige will be a very good, not just adequate, UCONN defender.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Highly speculative and way too premature concerning Paige's defensive potential in my estimation. Defense is not all length and athleticism. I contend that basketball intelligence and anticipation are at least equally important. Based on those two coupled with her 5"11" height and good foot speed I venture to say that Paige will be a very good, not just adequate, UCONN defender.
It is all speculative and definitely not premature. As a self proclaimed defensive bigot I would agree that defense is not all about length and athleticism of which Paige has plenty of both. Defense is mostly about desire and technique. Defense also requires lateral quickness and this is slightly different than foot speed. Paige is a gifted offensive player and being an adequate UCONN defender should not to be so easily overlooked. This thread is about Aubrey and by comparison I don't think Paige will be a game changing defender like Faris, Jefferson, or Nurse that you can assign to perimeter players like Skylar Diggins, Courtney Williams, Kelsey Mitchell, ,Michaela Mabrey or Asia Durr and literally change the game with just defense. Aubrey might just be that kind of player.

Reaction Score

I think you are wrong there. I watch every game that's streamed and her defense is really solid. She has a knack for anticipating passes and has quick feet and hands. I know all we see in videos is her offense but she is a complete player, right now.

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong there. I watch every game that's streamed and her defense is really solid. She has a knack for anticipating passes and has quick feet and hands. I know all we see in videos is her offense but she is a complete player, right now.
I think Griffin and Anna and Paige will make a great triangle three next year.

She's Ranked #1 For A Reason!! Paige Bueckers DOMINATES The Summer!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I watched every game also. You are correct she is a "solid defender" in HS and at USA basketball=Adequate UCONN defender. Nothing wrong with that. She is however NOT among the elite defenders in this class.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Griffin and Anna and Paige will make a great triangle three next year.

She's Ranked #1 For A Reason!! Paige Bueckers DOMINATES The Summer!
Did you mean rectangle? Add in Williams! ;)

Reaction Score
I watched every game also. You are correct she is a "solid defender" in HS and at USA basketball=Adequate UCONN defender. Nothing wrong with that. She is however NOT among the elite defenders in this class.

No for that you need a player like Mir McClean. Oh, wait a second, :rolleyes:

Coming in as an adequate college defender puts her ahead of all but maybe a dozen players. What I see that makes me certain that she will be a great defender in time is firstly her 6', long wingspan, quick footed and athletic body, and second her court vision/awareness that is constant and total. She is the same mentally at both ends of the court, fully engaged. And I think she has her goals set higher than a title, or 4. And to achieve success at the highest level she knows she has to get much better.

Sorry for rambling but I've been following her for 2 years. She is very special.

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers is a major thief. She gets in the passing lanes, anticipates well, and has VERY quick hands. For someone who doesn't have Gabby Williams athleticism, she is a terrific defender.

I used to think she wasn't overly quick but I saw her move laterally with the ball last season and she has a side move like Saquan Barkley's (OK, maybe not that good). But lateral quickness is needed on defense. And remember she has another year to work.

Reaction Score
Aubrey seems to have a quick first step past her defender and into the lane . The open space between her and the basket will close quickly on some of those drives with help defense . To avoid charge calls ... I trust that's she's thinking about when to just pull up and hit the short jumper ... including using the backboard . She kinda reminds me of Tiffany Hayes a little .

Reaction Score
Aubrey seems to have a quick first step past her defender and into the lane . The open space between her and the basket will close quickly on some of those drives with help defense . To avoid charge calls ... I trust that's she's thinking about when to just pull up and hit the short jumper ... including using the backboard . She kinda reminds me of Tiffany Hayes a little .

Both she and Walker seem to get to the hoop real quick.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Going by memory, and only seeing highlights, Paige's defense has been limited to jab steals of guards with high dribbles. Quick hands and feet, but not what you call great defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom