Aubrey Griffin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whoa! Is that a 4th nose? Are you predicting a 4th championship? Stewie, get ready to move over darlin'.

Marilyn Monroe was originally cast in the Doris Day role. The original working title was Something's Got to Give.

Reaction Score
Well of course Jingo is going to be wrong about Griffin being the leading scorer (which is a good thing), but that's a really nice game for her to come out of the gates with. If she could end up being our 5th leading scorer, that would be very impressive.
Disagree. I think Aubrey vying to be a leading scorer - like most others - is a good thing, a good thing for the team, cuz she'll make everyone else better, eh? .. and result in more wins!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Disagree. I think Aubrey vying to be a leading scorer - like most others - is a good thing, a good thing for the team, cuz she'll make everyone else better, eh? .. and result in more wins!
Jingo, I’m not quite on board with Aubrey as the leading scorer on the Huskies, but after watching Aubrey’s tenacious defense and relentless rebounding during the exhibition game, I have to give it to you. Aubrey has a very real possibility to earn the 5th starting spot, if not by the start of the season, then at some point during the season once she learns her way around the UConn offense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jingo, I’m not quite on board with Aubrey as the leading scorer on the Huskies, but after watching Aubrey’s tenacious defense and relentless rebounding during the exhibition game, I have to give it to you. Aubrey has a very real possibility to earn the 5th starting spot, if not by the start of the season, then at some point during the season once she learns her way around the UConn offense.
With her defensive and reboundiing skills I think Aubrey would already have the starting 5th spot if she were a consistent outside shooter. More so if she had one to the arc. If she can show that then I'll believe her as the teams leading scorer. Lacking that and leading UConn in scoring means that the teams outside shooting is not up to par this season, which would be a very bad thing indeed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We're not talking about Griffin "vying" to be leading scorer. You're conjecture was she "would be" leading scorer. Again which I've explained to you would be a bad thing for UCONN.

Besides, what is "vying". Was she "vying" last night? Coming in 5th behind Irwin? I guess if you move the goalposts from actually being leading scorer to something more subjective like vying for, you can claim you were correct. Instead of the reality that you will be wrong.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With her defensive and reboundiing skills I think Aubrey would already have the starting 5th spot if she were a consistent outside shooter. More so if she had one to the arc. If she can show that then I'll believe her as the teams leading scorer. Lacking that and leading UConn in scoring means that the teams outside shooting is not up to par this season, which would be a very bad thing indeed.
I watched enough of Aubrey in HS to know that she can score from anywhere, including the 3-pt line. What she is missing is the consistency that will come once she knows how to move and cut in UConn's offense and take her shots in rhythm. It took Megan a year to get it. Hopefully, Aubrey can learn it post haste, because she sure would be one hell of a defensive weapon and rebounding force for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
As I watched Aubrey tenaciously defend and rebound all over the court yesterday, a couple different thoughts occurred.
  • I watched each of Aubrey’s last 4 games with Ossining HS, in which she scored 30+ and filled up the stat sheet in each game. She didn’t play a lot of defense in any of those games. Somewhere between those games and yesterday’s game Aubrey got the message that if you want to play for Geno, play defense and rebound.
  • I can not help but speculate that Aubrey receives a lot of guidance from her father Adrian who is one of those wonderful stories of an overachiever who cobbled together a pro career as an undrafted free agent with stops in Europe & the G-League prior to a 9 year career in the NBA with numerous teams and now as an assistant coach with the world championship Toronto Raptors. Who better to teach Aubrey about hard work and the ability to adapt in order to succeed.
  • In another thread I indicated my surprise that Aubrey accompanied Crystal & Megan in the post game presser. I can not remember another freshman who ever was allowed to come out to answer questions in a post game presser after her first game in a UConn uniform. That tells me that Geno felt strongly enough about her effort and performance to reward her with some well deserved PR.
  • Assuming that Evina is still ineligible, I would not be surprised if Aubrey get’s the start in the next exhibition game over Anna. Either way, she’s earned a lot of PT.
  • Finally, if Aubrey can earn a starting role with UConn she has the potential to be yet another NDPOY some day.
I have to disagree with Aubrey starting. I think she will end up 6th man if Evina remains ineligible. Anna is a much more mature player and I think her shot will come once she relaxes. Anna played very well in other facets of the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with Aubrey starting. I think she will end up 6th man if Evina remains ineligible. Anna is a much more mature player and I think her shot will come once she relaxes. Anna played very well in other facets of the game.
You're probably correct, but of all the UConn players in the Exhibition, Aubrey was the one who surprised me the most. Her intensity and effort tells me that she's not conceding a starting spot to anyone, which has got to put a big smile on her HC's face.

Reaction Score
For sure Geno wants scorers to replace the points from Lou and Phee. But, while he may have a good idea where he'd like to see those points come from, at the end of the day, as long as the team gets points, what does it matter where they came from? More important, while being the leading scorer might be nice to one of the players, I really doubt that the type of kids that Geno brings in are focused on personal accolades. They want to win championships, they want to be the best players they can be, and they believe in the concept of team.

Reaction Score
You're probably correct, but of all the UConn players in the Exhibition, Aubrey was the one who surprised me the most. Her intensity and effort tells me that she's not conceding a starting spot to anyone, which has got to put a big smile on her HC's face.
Agree with all these positive comments regarding Aubrey and her future. At times in this game, it seemed she didn't realize how much more athletic she was than anyone on the other team. The minor hesitations will likely vanish as her confidence grows. In the meantime, her intensity is impressive - sure to get a lot of minutes just based on hustle, rebounding, and defense.

Reaction Score
Scoring in high school is one thing..scoring in the rough and tumble AAC is quite another thing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Everything I saw from Aubrey today me likey. Much. What we didn't see was her outside shot. As @MilfordHusky has said, she's going to become a tough, lock down defender, and that could be right away.

Being able to play defense will get her on the court, especially when the opponent has a prolific scorer that is having a particularly good day. Her defense will probably blossom before her offense does because right now she’s reluctant to shoot. She must learn and understand Geno's system, and this year, she will most likely defer to her upper classmen. If/when she gets in the game she'll score as she did Sunday.

Right now, offensive rebound put backs and fast break lay ups is where she'll get most of her points. The season has just started. There's no way she knows/understands it yet. Remember what Geno said: "It usually takes most freshmen a whole year to know and understand our system." Which is why they're not going to run plays for her THIS year. THAT honor goes to Megan, Christyn and ONO.

"Auriemma has previously said that while Griffin’s development as a basketball player will take some time, he doesn’t think anyone that’s been through his program has been a better athlete than she, and after Sunday, Auriemma was even more encouraged about Griffin’s “huge, huge upside.” “She’s not quite sure yet where to go, how to do certain things, but she’s really really good at what she’s good at, which is play pretty good defense, and be a factor in transition," Auriemma said. "Offensive rebounding, she’s really good. She made a couple really good plays today passing the ball.”

Aubrey is a scorer, it's in her genes. Water ALWAYS tends to seek its own level. At some point (this year, maybe next) Aubrey will "get it" and have her break out game, and go from there. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It seems that Griffin has read and taken to heart the quote from Gabby where she said that she wished she had given the coaches more reasons to play her as a freshman.
I am doubtful that she is ready to defend top scorers yet. (Sure hope I'm wrong) Right now she is defending with athleticism & effort and is a little too quick to respond. Highly skilled guards will eat her up and/or get her in foul trouble. She is also expending twice the energy she will use in a year to accomplish the same thing. But to me she can fill the "disrupter" role. My idea of a great defense is one that is aggressive, pressuring the offense into playing faster (or slower), taking the offense out of it's comfort zone. Williams became great at that and I think Griffin could be even better given some time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Points schmoints, I'm more interested in how many noses this talented young Husky has. I'll bet there's a strong correlation between # of noses and # of championships. ;)

You do know the nose knows!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Never heard the phrase "at this point in time" until Watergate.
I believe the entire frequently used line went, "To the best of my recollection at this point in time, I don't remember" Head bang

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Her defense will probably blossom before her offense does.
You think so? It often is the other way around.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin — our own version of ‘Tigger’:

Feet made of rubber, [legs] made out of springs; bouncy, bouncy, bouncy !

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
thinking about changing from gabbyfan to aubreyfan, but it will take a lot more highlights
NO! Just do what others have done and refer to AG in “Gabby units”... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Agreed
Even if she doesn’t start what a Boost her energy will provide when she comes off the bench. A game changer

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You think so? It often is the other way around.

You may be right, but you'll have to excuse me. I'm very high on Aubrey right now. I'm excited about her potential, and the breakout she can have at any time. Even though she was known as a very good and willing defensive player in HS, I noticed that she was a step slow tonight allowing her man to go by her on drives to the basket. In her defense, she never faced anyone in high school with Division 1 speed and quickness. That can be fixed in practice.

Dangerfield, Walker and Gabby Williams had the same problem as freshmen. They addressed that deficiency during the year, and the years to follow. It's early in her freshman year. Plenty of time to correct that. No doubt that has/will be told and explained to her by the coaches. There were others, but Kia Nurse was one of the few freshmen that was able to keep her man in front of her almost from the beginning.

“She’s not quite sure yet where to go, how to do certain things, but she’s really really good at what she’s good at, which is play pretty good defense, and be a factor in transition," Auriemma said. "Offensive rebounding, she’s really good. She made a couple really good plays today passing the ball.”

No freshman comes to Storrs having played defense in high school the way Geno wants it. It must be learned, and learned at THIS level as taught by the UConn coaches. Most super star players are offense oriented. Very few play any real in your face defense in HS.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You may be right. Even though she was known as a very good and willing defensive player in HS, I noticed that she was a step slow tonight allowing her man to go by her on drives to the basket. In her defense, she never faced anyone in high with Division 1 speed.

Dangerfield, Walker and Gabby Williams had the same problem as freshmen. They addressed that deficiency during the year, and years to follow. It's early in her freshman year. Plenty of time to correct that. No doubt that has/will be told and explained to her by the coaches. There were others, but Kia Nurse was one of the few freshmen that was able to keep her man in front of her almost from the beginning.

No freshman comes to Storrs having played defense in high school the way Geno wants it. It must be learned, and learned at THIS level.

Kelly Faris was also a very good defender even as a freshman. She and Nurse were two that Geno could trust pretty much from day 1 on that end of the floor.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You may be right, but you'll have to excuse me. I'm very high on Aubrey right now. I'm excited about her potential, and the breakout she can have at any time. Even though she was known as a very good and willing defensive player in HS, I noticed that she was a step slow tonight allowing her man to go by her on drives to the basket. In her defense, she never faced anyone in high with Division 1 speed and quickness. That can be fixed in practice.

Dangerfield, Walker and Gabby Williams had the same problem as freshmen. They addressed that deficiency during the year, and the years to follow. It's early in her freshman year. Plenty of time to correct that. No doubt that has/will be told and explained to her by the coaches. There were others, but Kia Nurse was one of the few freshmen that was able to keep her man in front of her almost from the beginning.

“She’s not quite sure yet where to go, how to do certain things, but she’s really really good at what she’s good at, which is play pretty good defense, and be a factor in transition," Auriemma said. "Offensive rebounding, she’s really good. She made a couple really good plays today passing the ball.”

No freshman comes to Storrs having played defense in high school the way Geno wants it. It must be learned, and learned at THIS level.

and in the presser, he says he really enjoys coaching her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom