Attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I love the high seatbacks in Gampel. Second-to-last row in 209 on Saturday was great. Also had the joy of sitting next to a local man from Ashford who has been a fan for 30 years. He told me about coming to early Gampel games that were nearly empty. He would actually change his seats to move farther back from the court in those days because he was so close to the bench that Geno would block his view as he paced. I agree with Nan that the 4th quarter was not that entertaining on the court -- fortunately for me it gave me occasion to speak with this delightful man, his daughter and granddaughter. I'll be there tomorrow.
I'm in section 208, row 14. :)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Why don't people come watch women play? Guess I need to ask people who don't read women's basketball message boards. So discouraging.

I know some men don't attend women's basketball games because they *think* it's beneath them, but what about women? I love both versions of basketball. They're slightly different, but both are beautiful games.

Reaction Score
Stub hub ticket prices for tomorrow's game run from $16 in nosebleed to $82 lower baseline. It doesn't sound like prices are the reason for the poor attendance. In 2015 the games were at 9pm. In 2014 they were at 7pm and 8pm so it doesn't appear that game time is the issue.

I looked at 1st and 2nd round attendance for 2014 and 2015. They were also low. It's possible that UConn fans just aren't interested enough to put up with the hassle of Gampel. It's also possible that fans don't want to spend their time and money on a predictable snoozer. In contrast, the AAC title game at the Sun drew 7100+. On the plus side UConn's season attendance numbers increased this year, up 11% from last season.

2015 1st rd 3666, 2nd rd 3486
2014 1st rd 5018, 2nd rd 4245
I agree with J66kicker. I don't know about the argument of cost. Here in Tempe, tickets (all lower level -- the upper was not opened) were inexpensive, and the $20 for the two sessions for seniors was unbeatable. Parking was five bucks.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Gampel is very small."

As is the allotted butt space.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'd be interesting in the attendance numbers being matched with (projected) ticket income numbers...

Reaction Score
I agree with J66kicker. I don't know about the argument of cost. Here in Tempe, tickets (all lower level -- the upper was not opened) were inexpensive, and the $20 for the two sessions for seniors was unbeatable. Parking was five bucks.
Parking is free in the lot across the street (take Sixth St. West off Rural, turn right just in front of the arena, turn in (right) just past
the multi-story lot on the right and park in the open ground-level lot. It was busy Friday with a track meet and a softball game going on at the same time as the hoops, and there were still primo spots not more than 3 spaces from the street)​

Reaction Score
Why don't people come watch women play? Guess I need to ask people who don't read women's basketball message boards. So discouraging.

Basketball is not golf. It's not about watching a player test him/herself against the course. It's about competition against another. And there was no competition in that game. Yes I know there are some who do still go to watch the beauty of the play, but that is a relatively rare group. Sports is about competition. It's hard to get folks to travel an hour and spend a bunch of money to watch a game that is over after 2 minutes.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Are you guys getting a new arena soon?
Hope so. Parts of the ceiling were flaking off yesterday.
Although I have the same hope, the condition of Gampel is getting pretty bad, with the financial status of the state and the athletic department, short of a "miracle" (like getting a B1G invite) I don't see it happening within a decade. :(

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Basketball is not golf. It's not about watching a player test him/herself against the course. It's about competition against another. And there was no competition in that game. Yes I know there are some who do still go to watch the beauty of the play, but that is a relatively rare group. Sports is about competition. It's hard to get folks to travel an hour and spend a bunch of money to watch a game that is over after 2 minutes.

Too bad the board doesn't allow multiple likes.

Basketball games are supposed to be an athletic competition not a performance exhibition like rhythmic gymnastics or synchronized swimming. If the competition doesn't exist than large part of the attraction and excitement is missing. Teams like Robert Morris do not belong in a tournament that is supposed to showcase the best of WCBB.

Those that watch solely for the beauty of the play should consider that aspect is often inversely related to the level of competition.

Reaction Score
Can you really have the conference tournament, the 1st/2nd rounds, and the regionals all in Connecticut within a 4 week span and not expect folks to pick and choose what to pay for?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'm in section 208, row 14. :)
209 row 13.
I'll be sure to introduce myself.
Look for the fat, bald guy with the tolerant wife and tired son who cares much more about the popcorn than the game. :cool:

Reaction Score
Attendance better at ASU-Tenn game tonight. Walk-in crowd still in line to buy tickets.

Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree, but the game was not in the least "boring." It was some of the most beautifully played team basketball that UConn has produced this season. You could watch a meticulous plan unfold, watch precision in all areas, watch the blooming of the next great Husky player. Hope the rest of the tournament is equally "boring." I feel sorry for those who missed it.

Huskyd, no spitting match here as we are fans of the same team, just have different opinions. The topic is attendance and the lack of it. Yes the UConn team came out with tenacity that was palpable completely swarming the opposition. Execution was a thing of beauty. Now back to attendance, I will give you Secretariat, Man O' War, Seabiscuit or any horse of your choice. How much would you pay and how far would you travel to watch your favorite horse run around the track by him or herself? This was a 52 point blow out that could have been 100 had the bench not gotten significant minutes. It pains me to say it but right now there is no need for a 1 vs 16 match up in woman's basketball. As I write I am watching two games of 1 vs 9 both 30 point blow outs. There are diehards that will go watch a horse run by itself but two to three times as many will attend when a pre given challenge is anticipated.;)
Vowelguy, same take only different. :D

Reaction Score
just looked at Webster Arena website for tix for Saturday's game. Slim pickins. Single seats behind the baskets and "corner" sections. 50 dollars after all the fees are addes. Glad there will be a full house with lots of Husky fans

Reaction Score
Maybe the women should have a different format for the tournament? Since there is less parity, Maybe let the lower-seeded teams play each other first while the top seeds get a bye. A play-in round. Still will be blow-outs, but maybe not as much...

ETA: Checked the sales maps: This Monday looking pretty sparse. In contrast Bridgeport is a near-sellout. Some may be due to the location for fans who cant get to Storrs/Hartford, but some of it is also the competition.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maybe the women should have a different format for the tournament? Since there is less parity, Maybe let the lower-seeded teams play each other first while the top seeds get a bye. A play-in round. Still will be blow-outs, but maybe not as much...

ETA: Checked the sales maps: This Monday looking pretty sparse. In contrast Bridgeport is a near-sellout. Some may be due to the location for fans who cant get to Storrs/Hartford, but some of it is also the competition.
I would say it is mostly a fan base that gets maybe four chances to watch Uconn play without a 3 hour round trip vs a fan base that gets maybe 16 chances. Add in public transportation being available from anywhere on the shore from New Haven to NJ including NYC.

Reaction Score
just looked at Webster Arena website for tix for Saturday's game. Slim pickins. Single seats behind the baskets and "corner" sections. 50 dollars after all the fees are addes. Glad there will be a full house with lots of Husky fans

I've been to the Bridgeport arena twice for ncaas. 2004 1st and 2nd round games and the 2006 regional. All 4 of the sessions seemed sold out or nearly so. The arena was brightly lit and easy to move about excepting the concourse, which is horseshoe shaped so not able to be circled. All session pass cost 38.00 in 2004, 57.50 in 2006 and 66.75 in 2016. I went to the box office each time, avoiding extra fees.

To paraphrase, the other Maya, Angelou, "It's not what you say or do, people remember how you make them feel." For an event of this magnitude, there aren't any bad seats in this arena though most are probably uncomfortable. The UConn games shouldn't be competitive. Doesn't matter. People that attend will have the warmest feeling, forever, or they'll be witness to the greatest upset in the history of women's college basketball.

I guess you can't really call the box office, (203)345-2400, and head up from DE to chance an obstructed view straggler in the corner but for those closer, they may have something. And whoever UConn is playing in the Saturday game, tickets will spring loose from them. The games look great on widescreen, but I know when I see this team in person, it doesn't matter where I sit or what's the score, it's has always left a lasting impression.

Reaction Score
day 1:
  1. ColumbiaSC 10,276
  2. Louisville 5,823
  3. Starkville 5,115
  4. Waco 4,990
  5. Corvallis 4,702
  6. Tempe 3,134
  7. ColumbusOH 2626
  8. Syracuse 2445

day 2
  1. South Bend 6310
  2. College Park 5374
  3. Storrs 4784
  4. College Station 4040
  5. Stanford 3106
  6. Lexington 2701
  7. Austin 2645
  8. UCLA 2552
day 3 (vs rnd 1)
  1. SC 10048 (-2%)
  2. Loui 7515 (+29%)
  3. Miss St 7094 (+39%)
  4. Ore St 6074 (+29%)
  5. Baylor 4665 (-7%)
  6. Syracuse 3842 (+57%)
  7. Ariz St 2957 (-6%)
  8. Ohio St 2558 (-3%)
day 1 avg: 4900
day 2 avg: 3900
day 3 avg: 5600 (+14%)

Reaction Score
day 2
  1. South Bend 6310
  2. College Park 5374
  3. Storrs 4784
  4. College Station 4040
  5. Stanford 3106
  6. Lexington 2701
  7. Austin 2645
  8. UCLA 2552
day 3 (vs rnd 1)
  1. SC 10048 (-2%)
  2. Loui 7515 (+29%)
  3. Miss St 7094 (+39%)
  4. Ore St 6074 (+29%)
  5. Baylor 4665 (-7%)
  6. Syracuse 3842 (+57%)
  7. Ariz St 2957 (-6%)
  8. Ohio St 2558 (-3%)
day 1 avg: 4900
day 2 avg: 3900
day 3 avg: 5600 (+14%)
Regardless of whether ASU's official "day 3" attendance went down 6% from day 1, there were twice as many people there last night than Friday. Many must have bought full 2-day tix but not showed up for the first day.

Reaction Score
I've been to the Bridgeport arena twice for ncaas. 2004 1st and 2nd round games and the 2006 regional. All 4 of the sessions seemed sold out or nearly so. The arena was brightly lit and easy to move about excepting the concourse, which is horseshoe shaped so not able to be circled. All session pass cost 38.00 in 2004, 57.50 in 2006 and 66.75 in 2016. I went to the box office each time, avoiding extra fees.

To paraphrase, the other Maya, Angelou, "It's not what you say or do, people remember how you make them feel." For an event of this magnitude, there aren't any bad seats in this arena though most are probably uncomfortable. The UConn games shouldn't be competitive. Doesn't matter. People that attend will have the warmest feeling, forever, or they'll be witness to the greatest upset in the history of women's college basketball.

I guess you can't really call the box office, (203)345-2400, and head up from DE to chance an obstructed view straggler in the corner but for those closer, they may have something. And whoever UConn is playing in the Saturday game, tickets will spring loose from them. The games look great on widescreen, but I know when I see this team in person, it doesn't matter where I sit or what's the score, it's has always left a lasting impression.

Still approximately 340 tickets available on Stubhub for the Saturday March 26th game in Bridgeport........$80 and up

Reaction Score
...It's possible that UConn fans just aren't interested enough to put up with the hassle of Gampel....

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I say new as in a new poster, I've been reading things here for quite some time simply because there aren't enough articles out there to entertain me and to get my UConn women's bb fill, especially in the offseason. I am 33 and I did see the 1991 Final Four when I was 8 years old, and I remember seeing Geno on a post game interview after the 1993 first round loss to Louisville so I might have seen some of that game as well, but specifically began watching from the 1994 Final Eight loss to North Carolina, and I've seen every game since (minus a few regular season games I couldn't pick up while living briefly in Halifax, Nova Scotia during the 2005-2006 season).

I don't go to all the games nor do I go to "a lot" of the games. My favorite spot as of right now is Mohegan Sun. We have gone to the tournament every year so far and plan to continue to do so. And I mean the whole tourney not just the UConn games, and whatever other games get scheduled there, we go. We also occasionally attend games in Hartford. But for me with Gampel, that's just it. I am not going to round 1 or 2 because it's just not worth the hassle of going to Gampel. Combine the fact that it's well over an hour drive for me, to an arena I've never really enjoyed or felt comfortable watching the games at. And that's just me, I take nothing away from other people's experiences or the wonderful atmosphere there. I just overall wasn't crazy about the experience. Parking being another thing I find a nuisance. Not to mention the game times. For starters tonight at 9. Drive all the way to Gampel for 9, be lucky to arrive home by 12:30 or 1, so I can go into work in the morning like a zombie? No thanks. I will put that money and support into Webster Arena and plan to be at those games.

For us, it isn't about what round the game is, or who the opponent is, or how much the margin of victory is. We watch every second of every game, on tv or in person, regardless of the score. Not one second of UConn basketball is boring to us because watching what UConn does is why we watch, not just because they win or win by a lot. I can't say why other people aren't at those games, but that's what it is for us. Besides, my wife, who has absolutely no interest in any sport whatsoever, I have turned into a big UConn fan and supporter and we like watching the games in front of the TV together, especially over driving all the way to Gampel. For us Mohegan sun absolutely, Gampel not so much....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom