Attendance | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe those were Georgia seat allocations that were turned back in.
Sounds plausible. I hope so.

I'm disappointed in most of those attendance numbers, including Tenn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
yes you are right the seats should have been sold..you will be able to get those seats almost all the time next year..with the quality of teams coming and ones we are losing..who wants to go to see a game when you know you are going to beat the other team by at least 40 points every night..UConn has to find a way to get out
calhou was asked about us going to the big ten and he thinks its a good idea
For any who haven't seen the threads on the men's or CR board about the ticket extravaganza and all the excitement about the Husky guys at Madison Square Garden for the S16 game, check'em out. Couldn't ask for much better publicity for a school than that with two of the P5 conferences, the evil one and the big one.

Reaction Score
Final stats. Kudos to Texas A&M and Iowa St.
Lots of disappointing numbers, including UConn.

ATTNDNCE | DAY1 ... DAY2 .... TOTAL

Tx A&M ..| 6100 ... 7100 .... 13200
Tenn ....| 7100 ... 6000 .... 13100
Baylor ..| 6200 ... 5600 .... 11800
IowaSt ..| 6800 ... 4100^ ... 10900^

Iowa ....| 5800 ... 4300 .... 10100
Kentucky | 5400 ... 4700 .... 10100

Maryland | 5700 ... 4000 ..... 9700
UConn ...| 5000 ... 4200 ..... 9200

Toledo ..| 4300^ .. 3500^ .... 7800^^
Penn St .| 3900 ... 3500 ..... 7400
Purdue ..| 3300 ... 3100 ..... 6400
Duke ....| 3000 ... 2800 ..... 5800

LSU .....| 2800 ... 2200 ..... 5000
UNC .....| 2500 ... 2000 ..... 4500
Seattle .| 1400^ .. 1700^ .... 3100^^
UCLA ....| 1900^ .. 1000^ .... 2900^^

(^ = Home team not playing)
Blue = :)
Red = :(

Reaction Score
I don't understand that about UCONN. I thought the idea about supporting a team went up when the team is doing well. You can't get any better than UCONN right now.

Wish I was close enough to go to those games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One must remember the tickets are distributed among the 4 teams. Even if UCONN sells out and packs their tickets many tickets to other schools go unused and in sold.

Reaction Score
One must remember the tickets are distributed among the 4 teams. Even if UCONN sells out and packs their tickets many tickets to other schools go unused and in sold.

All sites have the same issue, and yet they managed to get more fans than UConn.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
All sites have the same issue, and yet they managed to get more fans than UConn.
Yes, they do. Some do start with bigger arenas therefore more potential seating to distribute. It would be interesting to know the full capacities for each site. ex. TBA is 20,000+ therefore more tickets available to each school and after the school distributions.

Reaction Score
Yes, they do. Some do start with bigger arenas therefore more potential seating to distribute. It would be interesting to know the full capacities for each site. ex. TBA is 20,000+ therefore more tickets available to each school and after the school distributions.

Your comment would be relevant if attendance were 8000 or 9000. Then the rest could have been for other teams. That was not the case. Given the time, opponent, and/or prices, interest was not there.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't quite get all the ramifications about how many tickets are available per team and per general public. Of the 16 arenas, Gampel was the 11th smallest. Strictly based on attendance per arena capacity, Gampel was 5th best. But again there are a lot of factors that could be used to analyze the attendance stats. But Baylor, Toledo, Texas A&M, and KY did well.

Baylor: 58%
Toledo: 53%
Texas A&M: 52%
Kentucky: 49%
UConn: 46%
Iowa St: 38%
Iowa: 33%
Duke: 31%
Tenn: 31%
Maryland: 27%
UNC: 26%
PSU: 23%
Purdue: 20%
LSU: 19%
Seattle: 16%
UCLA: 11%

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I do not know how many tickets are dedicated to each team. Your posts don't give insight into that so it is hard to guess. Is it 500 per school, is it a percentage of capacity 10% each, how early do they need to be turned in? These things have an impact. If each school receives 1500 at Gampel that is a total of 6000 precommitted of 10000 leaving 4000 for other sales. If only 500 on average come from those other schools and UCONN sells out its allotment then attendance of 1500+1500= 3000 and 5200 total means 2200 of the remaining 4000 were sold for a lousy 8:00 start on Sunday night before work and school. I agree I would hope it would have been better but it is understandable and still disappointing.

Dobbs, you posted while I was writing. What you posted gets to what I was wondering about.

Reaction Score
That 4, 200 attendance number is just wrong for the UConn vs. Saint Joseph's game. Perhaps that number represents scanned entries to the first game. I did a print screen from a paused ESPN3 replay (00:41:26 / 01:41:24) but for whatever reason I cannot insert the photo here.

Reaction Score
I do not know how many tickets are dedicated to each team. Your posts don't give insight into that so it is hard to guess. Is it 500 per school, is it a percentage of capacity 10% each, how early do they need to be turned in?

I dont know. But I do know UConn has hosted before and has gotten a lot more in previous years.
And Baylor's arena is the same size as UConn's.

As I said, you can argue that it was the time or the opponent or the ticket prices, but the notion that the arena was as full as it could be does not even come close to holding water.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I dont know. But I do know UConn has hosted before and has gotten a lot more in previous years.

As I said, you can argue that it was the time or the opponent or the ticket prices, but the notion that the arena was as full as it could be does not even come close to holding water.
I was not saying it was as full as it could be. I was noting the lack of details as to what contributes to the figures. Dobbs helped with some insights that are helpful.

Reaction Score
ScreenShot008.jpg

I did a print screen from a paused ESPN3 replay (00:41:26 / 01:41:24) for the UConn vs. Saint Joseph's game. That is more than 4200.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Not sure who said that the arena was as full as it could be. The upper level seats behind the baskets were pretty empty, but the rest of the areas look really packed, so I was surprised at the 4245 figure that is cited in all the box scores. Guess looks can be deceiving.

But in any case, this was the best attendance that UConn has had in their two first two games in the NCAA since 2010-11, when they played first Hartford and Purdue, two opponents likely to get more attendance in their games than Prairie View and St. Joe's. So you should at least give the UConn fans credit for beating out the 9100 total for the 2012-13 games and the 8900 total for the 2011-12 games.

Even for you, the attendance figures can't be totally gloom and doom. Then again, that's probably a dumb assumption on my part.

Reaction Score
I don't understand that about UCONN. I thought the idea about supporting a team went up when the team is doing well. You can't get any better than UCONN right now.

Wish I was close enough to go to those games.

you got to understand something if you playing subpar teams in your conf people are not going to come.especially if you are the no.1 team in the country year after year..next year in the AAC conf. the women basketball average rpi will be 147.uconn doesn't belong in this conf

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
you got to understand something if you playing subpar teams in your conf people are not going to come.especially if you are the no.1 team in the country year after year..next year in the AAC conf. the women basketball average rpi will be 147.uconn doesn't belong in this conf
Clearly the AAC is far from the best, but using RPI as an example smacks of brain-dead stats. The Sagarin average for next year's 11 is 112, and the top 8 minus Houston, UCF, and Tulsa are at 83. That's better than the old Big East started out with, and there will be some movement up. So Gampel won't be playing to 2000 attendance, and some of the arenas will pack in 4000 for UConn. So all is not gloom and doom, no matter how much some wish it to be so.

Reaction Score
Clearly the AAC is far from the best, but using RPI as an example smacks of brain-dead stats. The Sagarin average for next year's 11 is 112, and the top 8 minus Houston, UCF, and Tulsa are at 83. That's better than the old Big East started out with, and there will be some movement up. So Gampel won't be playing to 2000 attendance, and some of the arenas will pack in 4000 for UConn. So all is not gloom and doom, no matter how much some wish it to be so.

I did't mean to make it doom and gloom and numbers are numbers they really don't mean much,that is what I read and you are right about the old big east and I didn't say attendance would go down(I hope not) but you don"t become a top conference overnight.at this stage of the game geno should be playing in a top notch conference.that really what I mean

Reaction Score
Attendance has been down for several years for UConn women in the post season. It's not pricing as you could go to both days for $40 and over age 62 for both days was $30. Time slot is not great for Sunday at 8 PM and Tuesday 7 PM but they play at 7 PM for the regular season and average attendance is over 6000 for Gampel games during the season. St. Joe's was a competitive team on Sunday and competed well Tuesday. UConn is a number one team! One potential factor I wonder about is advertising. I did not hear or see one ad anywhere for postseason UConn women's tickets. To me a billboard or a newspaper or radio ad couldn't hurt. I have heard people tell me they don't know how to get tickets for UConn games or think they are sold out. One student poster here wanted to know hot to get a ticket for Sunday's game.

Reaction Score
Attendance has been down for several years for UConn women in the post season. It's not pricing as you could go to both days for $40 and over age 62 for both days was $30. Time slot is not great for Sunday at 8 PM and Tuesday 7 PM but they play at 7 PM for the regular season and average attendance is over 6000 for Gampel games during the season. St. Joe's was a competitive team on Sunday and competed well Tuesday. UConn is a number one team! One potential factor I wonder about is advertising. I did not hear or see one ad anywhere for postseason UConn women's tickets. To me a billboard or a newspaper or radio ad couldn't hurt. I have heard people tell me they don't know how to get tickets for UConn games or think they are sold out. One student poster here wanted to know hot to get a ticket for Sunday's game.

I have a idea and I would like to bounce it off of you because you seem to have a lot on the ball..it is a little crazy and here it goes what if we made a knew conference
starting with UConn and then pick the cream of the crop from around the country..I know there is a lot of problems that go with it but for now lets forget that

over the winter they had a meeting of five power conferences in the country and I guess they were not to happy with the Ncaa and the rumor was they were going to create there own organization that was the rumor

Reaction Score

when you reach the top of the heap a lot of times you tend to back off and don't work as hard to keep what you worked so to get..we tend to take things for granted

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Many non-major sports have steep attendance declines in the post-season. No season tickets is the main reason, IMO.

Reaction Score

I don't agree with that.

I wouldn't mind if my team won all the games in their conference. Better than them losing most of the games in the conference. I can understand when people don't come to games when their team is losing but not vice versa.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that.

I wouldn't mind if my team won all the games in their conference. Better than them losing most of the games in the conference. I can understand when people don't come to games when their team is losing but not vice versa.

I don't know how many people over the last few years have told me they don't watch the game on t.v. or don't go to the game because of bad completion and they know what the out come is going to be.now gas is more than twice what it use to be, food cost are very high engery to the house or apartment is very high.when I first started going to the games gambel was always a sellout now its half full we use to get big crowds at xl center now its not even half full.it really doesn't have anything to do with winning or losing its about choices ,gas or the game food or the game oil or the game

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that.

You are the exception. Most folks get bored with these easy wins. I didn't watch much of the 2nd halves of either of the two games -- I wanted to see what was happening in the other matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom