Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hear that Boston College is going after the New England market...really coveting Rhode Island.

FSU is playing a baseball series there this weekend...just finished a double header today...playing on the Rhode Island campus. WTF? Boston playing a home series on the R.I. campus?

Reaction Score
It wasn't a BC thing, some of the FSU players had outstanding warrants in the commonwealth.

Reaction Score
Ahhhh!!

Found out. Rhode Island apparently is much warmer than Massachusetts.

Chestnut Hill, Mass. - The Boston College baseball team will host top-ranked Florida State at the University of Rhode Island for a three-game series beginning on Friday, March 28. The series originally slated to be played on Eddie Pellagrini Diamond at Commander Shea Field had to be moved due to the continuing cold weather affecting field conditions.

Reaction Score
That's actually true. Coastal Rhode Island gets much less snow and is consistently warmer than The northern 2/3 of CT, RI and the entirety of mainland MA. There were times that I would leave a foot of snow and 30 degrees at UConn to visit URI and there was no snow and temps in the 40's.

Reaction Score
Regarding Baylor, why do you cherry pick UConn and I can't use Baylor numbers as a direct comparison. I think I made my point. I didn't post Kansas's attendance record, but it's not pretty over the past couple of years. Those in glass houses. . .

Regarding fans, UConn already has one of the most loyal fan bases, across multiple sports. Go ahead and google what is driving ticket prices to heights never achieved by an NCAA regional. Our fans for women's basketball, soccer, field hockey, and more are among the best in the nation for their respective sport. Say what you want about football, but after only a decade in D1, we grew attendance to numbers that exceed many programs in P5 conferences, including some mentioned above. We've had "problems" over the past couple of years, but it's not a fan problem per se. The good news, I feel confident that the problems have been fixed, or are in the process of being fixed. Check back with me at the end of the season.
Baylor is fine to compare I was just pointig out the time frames are both polar opposites for the teams, one was up and the other down or vise versa.

Kansas is lucky to have 20k people at games. They have sucked and sucked for quite some time. Noth Dakota state has as many wins agaisnt FBS competetion since 2010, and they play in FCS. The fact that they still mange to get over 40k for a few games is astounding. I am not sure what OSU fans would do during a run like that. They are a somewhat similar comparison to UConn many ways. Both
FB programs had good run and made it to a BCS game, Kansas beat VTech. Both are somewhat BB focused school that are trying to get a solid coach and build a program back up. Please be clear that KU has dog thier hole quite a bit deeper in some ways although they are spending quite a bit more money on coaches(and not getting any return). 27 conference losses in a row, ouch. They did break the streak against WVU though.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest. What else is going on in Oklahoma on a Saturday (aside from the State Fair). Anyhow, the good news is that you get to go see some seriously talented UConn alumni play basketball for the Thunder. . .
Aside from going out of state there is probalby about the same amount of things to do. Cow tipping, banging sheep, or banging sisters and cousins, making meth, watching tornadoes, playing a banjo, etc...

What players are from UConn? Oklahoma people love the Thunder. It has actually hurt the support for OU and OSU BB.

Reaction Score
People show up for games in OK for sure...because quite frankly. what else is their to do? Seriously comparing programs out in Tornado Alley versus schools situated in the East Coast megalopolis Boston-Washington corridor is a non-starter. tadiums football and
You are exactly right. College Football is not as popular in your area compared to most the country. That is and always will be the challenge for schools like UConn.

You do realize that ther are things to do in Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, OKC, KC, and Tulsa right? But people still manage to go to CFB games as well. It's just different. The high school football scene is also much different I assume. At my high school rivalry game we would have over 20k and sometimes 30k peope at the game. Schools in Texas are even more popular with fans.

Reaction Score
So can UConn beat lowly ISU? I mean they are a C-USA team right? They are ranked #167 among public schools right?

JK. Should be a good game.

Reaction Score
Aside from going out of state there is probalby about the same amount of things to do. Cow tipping, banging sheep, or banging sisters and cousins, making meth, watching tornadoes, playing a banjo, etc...

What players are from UConn? Oklahoma people love the Thunder. It has actually hurt the support for OU and OSU BB.

I saw that a poster answered your question on the UConn trio. Google UConn + Thunder and take your pick of articles. With regard to OU and OSU, it doesn't surprise me that UConn players continue to put the hurt on college teams long after they graduate. . . they are that good. . .

Reaction Score
Let's be honest. What else is going on in Oklahoma on a Saturday (aside from the State Fair). Anyhow, the good news is that you get to go see some seriously talented UConn alumni play basketball for the Thunder. . .
Cow Tipping!

Reaction Score
I saw that a poster answered your question on the UConn trio. Google UConn + Thunder and take your pick of articles. With regard to OU and OSU, it doesn't surprise me that UConn players continue to put the hurt on college teams long after they graduate. . . they are that good. . .
OK. I appreciate your enthusiasm for your team. I haven't followed the Thunder that close this year. I don't live in the state anymore. That's pretty cool though. So lots of folks from Connecticut are Thunder fans? Will be interesting to see if they can beat the Spurs in the playoffs.

We have a similar thing with the Dallas Cowboys. The best WR (Dez) and both Running backs (Demarco Murray and Joe Randle) along with the kicker (Dan Bailey) and now the backup QB (Weeden) are from OU (1)or OSU(4). They score most of the points for one of the most valuable teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Was looking at the website for your stadium and it looks like they have all kinds of events there. Can't imagine having a brewfest at the stadium. Man that would be one drunken college campus.

Reaction Score
B
I hear that Boston College is going after the New England market...really coveting Rhode Island.

FSU is playing a baseball series there this weekend...just finished a double header today...playing on the Rhode Island campus. WTF? Boston playing a home series on the R.I. campus?
BC and FSU and all of their fans should -OFF!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with okielite. Eastern PA is very much a northeast state and Philly is practically a city in NJ. Eastern PA does much of its business relations with other eastern cities and states and it shows in the lifestyles and cultures of eastern PA. By contrast, Western PA does much of its business with states from the midwest and south, and it shows in the lifestyles and cultures of western PA, just as it does with eastern PA. This is likely because the river and rail system has always provided better trade routes to the west and south for western PA, and Eastern PA used river and rail systems connected to the eastern seaboard. Like okielite said, PA is very diverse politically and socially.

Pittsburgh's identity crisis has always been because it is "none of the above". Its history is as the titular capital of Appalachia, neither eastern nor midwestern. You could say the middle of the state is more southern than midwestern - it behaves more southernly than say, Central NY.

But unlike their forefathers in mining and manufacturing, the current generations of GenXers and millenials in Pittsburgh would desperately like to be seen as Northeastern. You can see a definitive split in generations as to who misses the BE (young) and who's happy with the ACC (older).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom