Athlon 2019/2020 WCBB Pre Season Rankings | The Boneyard

Athlon 2019/2020 WCBB Pre Season Rankings

Reaction Score
How about a little love for #7 Oregon State. :) You know that there are plenty of Beavers fans that frequent this site and pine for a little recognition for their favorite Pacific Northwest squad.

I would have appreciated at least a Top Ten update.

Libby's Sports has also recently released its annual basketball magazine. Typically, women's college basketball merits very few pages in that publication other than a cursory summary of the Top 25.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How about a little love for #7 Oregon State. :) You know that there are plenty of Beavers fans that frequent this site and pine for a little recognition for their favorite Pacific Northwest squad.

I would have appreciated at least a Top Ten update.

Libby's Sports has also recently released its annual basketball magazine. Typically, women's college basketball merits very few pages in that publication other than a cursory summary of the Top 25.
I did not have enough paper to write on so I wrote as much as I could on the frozen cake box that I had. I was at the grocery store at the time and just glanced at the WCBB section and the SLU men's write up. I could not memorize the rest of the top 10.

Reaction Score
1. Oregon
2. Baylor
3. Stanford
4. Maryland
5. Texas A&m
6. UConn

That is as far as I cared to read.
I don't believe A&M will be better than UConn.

...nor Mayland nor Stanford.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I love me some press love for Stanford WWB, but even I am skeptical that Stanford should be ranked that high. I kind of feel like it's obvious that Oregon and Baylor are a tier above the others, but basically any ordering of #s 3-6 is both plausible and arguable. The Westbrook Waiver situation will definitely influence where UConn should be among that group.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I really think these polls should be thrown in the garbage. How can you predict whats gonna happen in 3 months without all the facts. It boggles my mind where people come up with this stuff. UConn has nothing to prove with all the top 5 HS players they have and with the addition the players theyve gotten who will play this season. UConn has a big who has improved immensely to go along with 2 guards who are one of the top two tandems in the country. You rank them out of the top 4????? Well for me youve lost alot of creditibility. Led by the best coaching staff in WCBB...come on Boneyarders you dont really believe UConn is not a top 4 team and with Westbrook the potential is there to be even better.

Reaction Score
I love me some press love for Stanford WWB, but even I am skeptical that Stanford should be ranked that high. I kind of feel like it's obvious that Oregon and Baylor are a tier above the others, but basically any ordering of #s 3-6 is both plausible and arguable. The Westbrook Waiver situation will definitely influence where UConn should be among that group.
Stanford has 9 McDonalds All Americans on the roster. Even UConn can't say that.

Reaction Score
It all depends on Westbrrok. If waiver is granted, UConn #3. If not UConn #7. I still have serious questions on who the 5th starter will be.

I don't have any serious questions on the 5th starter is. If Westbrook does not get the waiver, I feel pretty good Geno will figure it out. These are the potential players that can garner that 5th spot...Anna Makurat, Aubrey Griffin, Evelyn Adebayo and I would throw in Batouly Camara (if healthy)...not necessarily in that order.

Reaction Score
The LadyVols had lot's of AA also for the last few years. The thing about having 9 of them...you can only put in 5 at a time. :rolleyes:

But Tennessee had a crappy coach, far worse than the average coach, and got far worse results than an average DI coach would get from that talent.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't pay much attention to anything from Athlon Sports, they are notorious for having utterly ridiculous rankings in just about every poll they put out. They are in the business of selling stories, they try and create drama and intrigue any way they can.

Reaction Score
I agree, Baylor and Oregon are a tier above all other teams. After Baylor & Oregon, I believe there will be week to week ranking movements among the top 10 as the season plays on.

Reaction Score
But Tennessee had a crappy coach, far worse than the average coach, and got far worse results than an average DI coach would get from that talent.

Ok, I'll give you that...maybe Holly/LadyVols was not the best example. Geno will have 5 possible 6 (Westbrook) at his disposal this season. Geno ain't no Holly.

Reaction Score
Agree that UConn is better with Westbrook. But even without her, they are better than Maryland.
I so wish they were playing each other this season. I'm still taking Maryland (of course without Westbrook. With Westbrook I want no part of UConn).

Reaction Score
I agree, Baylor and Oregon are a tier above all other teams. After Baylor & Oregon, I believe there will be week to week ranking movements among the top 10 as the season plays on.

I think Baylor will miss Brown more then people think, Cox isn’t really a center, I believe she would slide to the 3 when Smith checked into games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I so wish they were playing each other this season. I'm still taking Maryland (of course without Westbrook. With Westbrook I want no part of UConn).

What? UConn isn't on the schedule? Let me at 'em.

Alligator snapping turtle

Reaction Score

UConn beats Maryland by 10+ without Westbrook, with her they win by 20+!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont have any concerns about who is the 5th starter for UConn. Makurat and Abebayo will be fine. They both can play. Yeah theyre werent ranked in the top 10 HS AA's but they have experience playing at a high level and who are the number 5 starters for other top teams who you think might be better then Makurat and Abebayo???? Who has better guards then UConn? I like UConn number 2 in the polls only because UConn lost so much from last season and in the eyes of so many I can see them picking Oregon number 1. If Westbrook plays UConn is over the top number 1 and UConn will only get better over the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
I dont have any concerns about who is the 5th starter for UConn. Makurat and Abebayo will be fine. They both can play. Yeah theyre werent ranked in the top 10 HS AA's but they have experience playing at a high level and who are the number 5 starters for other top teams who you think might be better then Makurat and Abebayo???? Who has better guards then UConn? I like UConn number 2 in the polls only because UConn lost so much from last season and in the eyes of so many I can see them picking Oregon number 1. If Westbrook plays UConn is over the top number 1 and UConn will only get better over the next couple of years.
Dangerfield, Williams, Walker vs. Owusu, Mikesell, Charles (UConn but not by alot)
ONO vs. Shakira Austin (a wash even though Austin probably played more last season)
Makurat, Abebayo, Griffin (love Griffin) vs Stephanie Jones, Watson (Maryland by a ton)

I guess the UConn fans will feel they will win because (Geno vs Brenda = distance between Mercury and Pluto)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dangerfield, Williams, Walker vs. Owusu, Mikesell, Charles (UConn but not by alot)
ONO vs. Shakira Austin (a wash even though Austin probably played more last season)
Makurat, Abebayo, Griffin (love Griffin) vs Stephanie Jones, Watson (Maryland by a ton)

I guess the UConn fans will feel they will win because (Geno vs Brenda = distance between Mercury and Pluto)
Jones and Watson over Makurat, Adebayo, and Griffin by "a ton"?? I'll be shocked if that's the case. Makurat is effectively a pro, and Griffin is probably more athletic than even Charles. We'll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom