Athletic takes down Cuse | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Athletic takes down Cuse

Reaction Score
The title of the thread and the number of posters who seemingly have already tried and convicted the man is all one needs to know about the sad world we inhabit. If he is proven guilty, appropriate punishment should certainly follow, but I have a hard time finding the right words for my disdain for these “court of public opinion” lynchings.
I have two very real world, personal experiences of the hideousness of people ruined, not by fact, but by publicity; by innuendo; by supposition.
I have no sympathy for people who engage in the type of behavior described here, but I also have no respect for people who fall over themselves rushing to judgement on serious situations they know absolutely nothing about.
Cliches get to be cliches for a reason and “two wrongs don’t make a right” comes to mind here.

Reaction Score
The best comment from a Syracuse fan - "How does he kiss players' foreheads? They're college basketball players, and he's like 4 feet tall."

And there is the key. If you don't want a post game hug tell the coach! Don't use it as a hammer down the road when the coach isn't giving you enough PT.
Oh please! What do you think would happen if a player had called Coach Q on giving her a hug? This is the same guy who reportedly got in the face of each of his players during a half time and said "I don't give a F... about you". That would hardly lead players to think they could speak out without being crushed. Just for kicks try paying attention to the particulars of this case before jumping on your hobby horse.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I find it bizarre that people are comparing this situation to UCONN and Geno years back. The allegations against Geno did NOT come from any of his players. It came from a 39 page report submitted to the NCAA by the SEC and Pat Summitt/Tennessee.

The report did not allege abuse against his players, but rather recruiting violations, all of which were investigated and dismissed. The ONLY violation during Geno's entire tenure, never mind that time frame, (that I can recall), is that a staff member called ESPN on behalf of Maya Moore's family to set up a visit to the ESPN campus. Other than that, squadoosh. So the 2 coaches/programs are not related in any way, shape, or form.

As for Syracuse, I don't believe I'm going out on much of a limb when I say that no program in the history of WCBB has had 11 players enter the transfer portal in a single academic year. I'm not convicting Hillsman, but when you lose 11 players to transfer, something is going on. I agree with the people who say it does not look good for him, in spite of the 2 players who have come out in support of him on Twitter (Mangakahia and Alexis Peterson).

Regardless of the truth, there is some ugly $#it going on at Syracuse. Tiana called out her teammates for how they treated her after she was diagnosed with cancer. Peterson said the players had lost their minds. Then on the other hand the article alleges all kinds of abuses and issues with the coach. UGLY.

1625010735613.png

Reaction Score
Oh please! What do you think would happen if a player had called Coach Q on giving her a hug? This is the same guy who reportedly got in the face of each of his players during a half time and said "I don't give a F... about you". That would hardly lead players to think they could speak out without being crushed. Just for kicks try paying attention to the particulars of this case before jumping on your hobby horse.

"who reportedly"
That may enough for you but not me.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Before I condemn a person for this action, I need to see the investigative report. If he is guilty of these actions and they discover it, I believe that coach Q will resign before he is fired. Let the process proceed and it will work itself out, then go from there.

Reaction Score
I find it bizarre that people are comparing this situation to UCONN and Geno years back. The allegations against Geno did NOT come from any of his players. It came from a 39 page report submitted to the NCAA by the SEC and Pat Summitt/Tennessee.

The report did not allege abuse against his players, but rather recruiting violations, all of which were investigated and dismissed. The ONLY violation during Geno's entire tenure, never mind that time frame, (that I can recall), is that a staff member called ESPN on behalf of Maya Moore's family to set up a visit to the ESPN campus. Other than that, squadoosh. So the 2 coaches/programs are not related in any way, shape, or form.

As for Syracuse, I don't believe I'm going out on much of a limb when I say that no program in the history of WCBB has had 11 players enter the transfer portal in a single academic year. I'm not convicting Hillsman, but when you lose 11 players to transfer, something is going on. I agree with the people who say it does not look good for him, in spite of the 2 players who have come out in support of him on Twitter (Mangakahia and Alexis Peterson).

Regardless of the truth, there is some ugly $#it going on at Syracuse. Tiana called out her teammates for how they treated her after she was diagnosed with cancer. Peterson said the players had lost their minds. Then on the other hand the article alleges all kinds of abuses and issues with the coach. UGLY.

View attachment 68270
And don’t forget those ESPN visits were available to anyone that asked.

Reaction Score

View attachment 68270

There were nasty posts on message boards that went well beyond accusations of recruiting violations.
And in Hillsman's case right now there are only reports of accusations and they come from players who left the school. And yet there is condemnation of Hillsman that assumes he is guilty and that is the apt comparison because there are still Vol fans who still believe that the innuendos about UConn/Geno were true. If you tell people something over and over they will begin to believe it, whether it's true or not.

I'm of the opinion that a lot of the transfers nation-wide are a result of having to live eat & practice 24/7 in a bubble. We read a lot about how COVID has brought teams together but I'll wager that it drove more teams apart. And when the NCAA gave everyone a exit opportunity many took it. Under stress many things that wouldn't raise a eyebrow normally can become incidents that "make me think of suicide".

I'm 100% against abuse but I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus based on what I read.

Reaction Score
The article references more than just this past season. This isn't just about 11 players who left this season. The Athletic is questioning a history that is longer than 1 season and COVID. Syracuse's external investigation will determine if there was any merit to what has been published.

If you haven't read the article, it's tough to surmise based off of headlines, forum posts, IG and Twitter comments. I bit the bullet and paid for the subscription as I've been meaning to. I think the questions are justified but I'm waiting until the final report comes out.

Like someone else, I've seen what accusations have done to families personally, including my own. It's fair to be skeptical and to take those claims seriously at the same time.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
How often has a head coach (in any sport) been exonerated after these type of accusations and actual investigations? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

While some believe there is no such thing as bad publicity, this is not a good example of that slogan as this is damaging, IMO.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I will state I am not a fan of Quentin. He is a strutting peacock!

What we have is an article with many accusations and many questions. It was not flattering at all. To the Cuse AD and administration, the transfer out of 11 players should have been enough to trigger and investigation. It also seems Hillman's track record leaves one open for investigation.

I hope there is an investigation. After this article, it needs to happen. If the administration has any brains at all, they will have one with outside investigators. An internal investigation will not be enough.

Reaction Score
I will state I am not a fan of Quentin. He is a strutting peacock!

What we have is an article with many accusations and many questions. It was not flattering at all. To the Cuse AD and administration, the transfer out of 11 players should have been enough to trigger and investigation. It also seems Hillman's track record leaves one open for investigation.

I hope there is an investigation. After this article, it needs to happen. If the administration has any brains at all, they will have one with outside investigators. An internal investigation will not be enough.
Syracuse has announced they're conducting an external investigation. I've seen several articles noting this since the Athletic's article came out.

Question is how quickly and thorough will it be. If it's like what happened at Detroit Mercy, dear heavens......

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Syracuse has announced they're conducting an external investigation. I've seen several articles noting this since the Athletic's article came out.

Question is how quickly and thorough will it be. If it's like what happened at Detroit Mercy, dear heavens......
Probably like this

"Can we trust kids who said they would come to Syracuse? Nah :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Probably like this

"Can we trust kids who said they would come to Syracuse? Nah :rolleyes:
IMHO, it will be difficult for the parents to NOT look into reopening the recruiting for their daughters who have committed verbally.

Should Q not resign under pressure from the 'Cuse Administration, even those with signed letters of intent that have not enrolled in Summer school may have options as well.

Questions:
1) Have all 11 Syracuse womens basketball players who entered the transfer portal been picked up by other Universities?

2) How many are left (assuming signed commitments are honored - may NOT be a good assumption...)?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find it bizarre that people are comparing this situation to UCONN and Geno years back.

Person not people Eric. It is one poster who has used Quinton’s behavior to try to smear Geno. It is a weird take.

Reaction Score
I posted when the 11 player exodus happened I would definitely investigate were I the AD or President to see what's going on. I won't convict the man based on the article but if things keep adding up it will be tough for him to keep his position. I don't really have an opinion of him one way or the other, just hate to see situations like this happen anywhere.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Clear Dividing Line in comparison’s between Q and Geno - Only can compare the “verbal word selection when addressing players” Old Geno vs Current Q…

28 years following this team…
Old Geno went into many cringe worthy diatribes on that sideline directed at his players…

Current Geno much less so…

List the best (funniest) and worst (cringe worthy) you heard would be a good thread…

Worst was Bridgeport 2003-4 Final 8 vs Auburn directed at Ann Strother…

Her parents sat there stoically taking it as part and parcel of being on the best WBB programs on the planet…

I was not happy or impressed with him in that moment…His frustration just boiled over, that is part of coaching, hopefully the smallest part for professionals…

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. Yes, Geno can swear like a sailor but he never told people he doesn’t care about them. In fact, most players say that Geno wants the best for them. And I’ve never heard a player mention any kind of inappropriate physician contact
You are so right. So many (here) are confusing the expression "tough love" with what for them were the good old days when with the slightest authority you could say and do whatever you wanted. Certain words and behavours were always abusive and unacceptable except when the powerless were involved.

Reaction Score
How often has a head coach (in any sport) been exonerated after these type of accusations and actual investigations? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

While some believe there is no such thing as bad publicity, this is not a good example of that slogan as this is damaging, IMO.
I can, Detroit Mercy. This year......but. Not sexual accusations, but abuse of players. Baffling to me, after reading the letters the parents wrote to the AD, that she is still coaching.

UPDATE: She resigned two weeks ago. AnnMarie Gilbert.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clear Dividing Line in comparison’s between Q and Geno - Only can compare the “verbal word selection when addressing players” Old Geno vs Current Q…

28 years following this team…
Old Geno went into many cringe worthy diatribes on that sideline directed at his players…

Current Geno much less so…

List the best (funniest) and worst (cringe worthy) you heard would be a good thread…

Worst was Bridgeport 2003-4 Final 8 vs Auburn directed at Ann Strother…

Her parents sat there stoically taking it as part and parcel of being on the best WBB programs on the planet…

I was not happy or impressed with him in that moment…His frustration just boiled over, that is part of coaching, hopefully the smallest part for professionals…
I was at Gampel years ago. Very frustrated with Svet Geno called a time out. After the time out Svet headed back to the court. Geno grabbed her by the elbow and pulled Svet back to the bench. I felt the crowd surge forward. There was a real danger of a couple thousand babushkas rushng the court and tearing Geno limb from limb. Svet was a big favorite with the babushkas...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Just in Women's basketball alone.
Holy Cross Bill Gibbons was sued, investigated and exonerated in 2013.
Hillsman himself was investigated and exonerated in 2011.
Illinois Coach Matt Bollant was investigated in 2014 and exonerated.
Sylvia Hatchell was investigated for racist remarks in 2019 and was allowed to step down vs being fired.
Joanne P. McCaulie Duke was investigated by HR and exonerated (slight slap on the hand) in 2016
SMU Coach Travis Mays was investigated in 2018 and presumably exonerated because he stayed on the job until 2021.
Connie Yori of Nebraska was investigated in 2016 and allowed to resign.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yeah if you read the Tennessee boards at the height of the rivalry there were many unsubstantiated allegations. That wasn't one of them.
The punch/poke thing was substantiated. From Auriemma's book -

I look over at Kris Lamb and she is sitting with her elbows on her knees, and she has her head down. She’s playing awful, just like everyone else, but it just totally ticks me off that her head is down like that. I go over to her, and I whack her arm off her knees and I tell her, “You look me in the eye when I’m talking to you. Do you understand?” She’s a little startled, but mostly she’s ticked off, so she stares at me with complete disdain, and I rant a little more, and then we go out and win the game by 23 points. That’s in December. By February, our team is really splintered. We manage to win games, but there are two distinct groups: the kids CD and I have brought in, which includes Kris, Kerry, Laura, and Heidi Robbins, and the other nine kids we inherit. Those nine kids, for the most part, aren’t playing as much as they think they should, feel like they are second-class citizens, and want things, I guess, to go back to the way they used to be. It is a very difficult year for everyone.

My point in all this is that Auriemma of 30 years ago would not survive in today's climate where molehills become mountains in the media. Fortunately, he was smart enough to change with the times.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

View attachment 68270
Eric - I am not comparing this Hillsman situation, whatever it is, with Auriemma and my point has nothing to do with the Tennessee Stop. It has to do with how Auriemma of 30 years ago would fare given the current climate in WCBB.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Person not people Eric. It is one poster who has used Quinton’s behavior to try to smear Geno. It is a weird take.
That person is me and I am not smearing anyone. Apparently you haven't been a fan long enough to recognize the difference between 1990 Geno and 2021 Geno. All I'm saying is that Auriemma would not survive in today's climate. Read his friggen' book.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom