Athletic takes down Cuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Athletic takes down Cuse

Reaction Score
I don't know exactly what Tiana was trying to say, but Rocky's term "strutting popinjay" is clear and correct. Strutting aside, I agree completely with Nan's saying that unwelcome touching is never OK. Kissing, pats on the butt, hugging do happen in wcbb (and even in men's), but it's always best to assume that such touching is NOT welcome and to desist from it. We've had way too much sexual abuse of young women in recent history not to err on the side of caution. Respect for others, especially the vulnerable, is the key.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With a prior accusation of inappropriate behavior dating back 10 years, it is probably appropriate for Syracuse to suspend Hillsman with pay until the results of an independent investigation are completed. At this point in time Syracuse should be very concerned with additional players or students coming forward with similar complaints, and the very real possibility of a class action suit.

The University need only consider the multi-million dollar settlements to sexual harassment & assault lawsuits by Penn State, Michigan St & tOSU to understand that they need to respond quickly and thoroughly to these charges.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
First Marlene Stollings at Texas Texas last offseason, and now this. Some coaches just can't find the right balance on how to treat their players.

Another name that comes to mind is MaChelle Joseph at Ga. Tech. While I thought her teams looked well prepared and her recruiting was imaginative, she also looked a little too intense at times on the sideline in dealings with her team. Turns out there was something to that.

Given the past investigation into Q and the fact that so many players left the program, something is off-kilter in 'Cuse. Best to launch an impartial investigation...and fast.

Reaction Score
Back in the April recruiting thread, I suggested that perhaps Syracuse should investigate their wcbb program , in light of most of the team transferring. My post was met with a couple of hostile responses (Since deleted. Not sure by whom) about investigating a coach without any formal charges against him.
Well...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh boy. They did a good job restocking their roster, wonder if this changes any of the incoming transfers minds. If so, is it too late for them to back out of their commitment.

Another name that comes to mind is MaChelle Joseph at Ga. Tech. While I thought her teams looked well prepared and her recruiting was imaginative, she also looked a little too intense at times on the sideline in dealings with her team. Turns out there was something to that.

Given the past investigation into Q and the fact that so many players left the program, something is off-kilter in 'Cuse. Best to launch an impartial investigation...and fast.

Intense is an understatement. She scared me, and I was just watching in the stands

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Inappropriate touching has NEVER been ok. Never, ever. There’s nothing to “adapt” to
I suspect that the "inappropriate" list is much longer these days than it was 30 years ago. How long before it will be inappropriate for a coach to hug a player after a win? Maybe a male coach will delegate all post game hugs to a female assistant. Give a player an "atta" boy slap on the butt and it could cost you your job - although apprently it's OK for a player to slap a coach on the butt.

Reaction Score
Oh boy. They did a good job restocking their roster, wonder if this changes any of the incoming transfers minds. If so, is it too late for them to back out of their commitment.

Intense is an understatement. She scared me, and I was just watching in the stands
I can't imagine why?

1624993193673.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I suspect that the "inappropriate" list is much longer these days than it was 30 years ago. How long before it will be inappropriate for a coach to hug a player after a win? Maybe a male coach will delegate all post game hugs to a female assistant. Give a player an "atta" boy slap on the butt and it could cost you your job - although apprently it's OK for a player to slap a coach on the butt.
No, it was always inappropriate. Women tolerated it because men held the power. It wasn’t until sexual harassment laws were enacted that women began to understand that they had a way to stand up to men in power.

Reaction Score
With a prior accusation of inappropriate behavior dating back 10 years, it is probably appropriate for Syracuse to suspend Hillsman with pay until the results of an independent investigation are completed. At this point in time Syracuse should be very concerned with additional players or students coming forward with similar complaints, and the very real possibility of a class action suit.

The University need only consider the multi-million dollar settlements to sexual harassment & assault lawsuits by Penn State, Michigan St & tOSU to understand that they need to respond quickly and thoroughly to these charges.
Huge point that has to be considered. Too many programs let things like this fester for too long. Not to mention USA Gymnastics.

The list of schools that could be noted where complaints from players fell on deaf ears only to rear its ugly head afterwards to too long to mention. SMU, Detroit Mercy, Purdue (can't remember the city, but not the BIG10 school), Northern Kentucky a few years ago, Wichita State for MBB, etc. Now with athletes feeling more comfortable in speaking up, we're learning more and more.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

So much of what is and is not appropriate depends on your relationship with the other person — just like in real life.

Touching anyone who doesn’t want to be touched by you was ALWAYS inappropriate, now people (mostly women) are willing to speak up about it after having been silenced and shamed before.

Reaction Score

No it's not. I didn't like how the media played it up as something fun because of who did it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Huge point that has to be considered. Too many programs let things like this fester for too long. Not to mention USA Gymnastics.

The list of schools that could be noted where complaints from players fell on deaf ears only to rear its ugly head afterwards to too long to mention. SMU, Detroit Mercy, Purdue (can't remember the city, but not the BIG10 school), Northern Kentucky a few years ago, Wichita State for MBB, etc. Now with athletes feeling more comfortable in speaking up, we're learning more and more.
I don't remember any scandal at Purdue. I believe that you are thinking of Michigan State and the Women's gymnastics scandal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obviously you weren't around to enjoy the earlier version of Geno.
Obviously you didn’t read husky Nan’s post in which she noted that the hallmark of Geno’s career has been the lifelong relationships that he’s built with his players. Nor has he ever been accused of kissing his players nor placing his hands on their hips.

You’re an OK visiting poster, but you are wrong on this and it’s a weird hill for you to die on.

Reaction Score
I don't remember any scandal at Purdue. I believe that you are thinking of Michigan State and the Women's gymnastics scandal.

Purdue-Fort Wayne (don't know if they're associated with Purdue). Here is the link. Toxic abuse alleged inside Purdue-Fort Wayne women's basketball: 'It was brutal'

Edit - Wasn't the gymnastics scandal include the USA program and Michigan State because the doctor was affiliated with both?

However my point was more about how these types of scandals were kept under wraps for various sports programs on both the men's and women's side at various schools. Penn State football, Ohio State men's wrestling, etc. The fall out took years, if not decades. The damage was irreparable.

Reaction Score
I just googled "coach kisses player on forehead". Surprisingly, there were a lot of hits. OBVIOUSLY, an investigation needs to take place. UNFORTUNATELY, no matter what the findings, this is a set back and only time will tell how much. I don't see the fact that so many players left as some sure sign that he did anything wrong. I also don't discount it as a reason that some may have left. Because...I don't know. And that's where the University needs to proceed quickly and as openly as possible avoiding any pressure to respond to hearsay. GET THE FACTS and GET THEM NOW.

Here's my thing with the "immediate" alarmist. If kissing a player on the forehead or placing a hand near the pelvis (which to me starts at the waist area) is cause for firing...aren't there a lot of coaches up for firing, including women? My point...context matters and you can't get that in the press and certainly not from interviewing one side of the story. I suspect to get the truth and to validate it...investigators will have to go a ways back since the implication is that there was a pattern.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The best comment from a Syracuse fan - "How does he kiss players' foreheads? They're college basketball players, and he's like 4 feet tall."
So much of what is and is not appropriate depends on your relationship with the other person — just like in real life.

Touching anyone who doesn’t want to be touched by you was ALWAYS inappropriate, now people (mostly women) are willing to speak up about it after having been silenced and shamed before.
And there is the key. If you don't want a post game hug tell the coach! Don't use it as a hammer down the road when the coach isn't giving you enough PT.

Reaction Score
These comments are filled with "if's". "If he did this ... then he is a monster" quickly becomes "He is a monster".

That's unfair speculation based on comments from "alleged" victims. I haven't read the article but I doubt many UConn fans would be considered for a jury to judge Hillsman. I remember the vicious character assassination of Geno on the Tenn boards. Someone would write that "they had heard he assaulted his players and "if true" it proves he is a despicable human being. That was enough for Vol nation to call for his immediate lynching.

I'm going to let this investigation proceed before I light my torch and get my pitchfork.

Reaction Score
No, it was always inappropriate. Women tolerated it because men held the power. It wasn’t until sexual harassment laws were enacted that women began to understand that they had a way to stand up to men in power.
How obvious is it that a man made the original post? It is extremely inappropriate especially coming from a man in a position of power.
I agree with a poster who said context matters, but young women should not have to be subjected to try to figure out blurred lines and what is ok and what’s not. And many times, it can take months to years afterwards for these young women to realize what was happening was inappropriate and wrong. They are kids, these are grown adults. Kisses and hands near the waist are not acceptable and make many women uncomfortable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someone would write that "they had heard he assaulted his players and "if true" it proves he is a despicable human being.
Yeah if you read the Tennessee boards at the height of the rivalry there were many unsubstantiated allegations. That wasn't one of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom