Athletic Has UConn preseason #2 in Big East | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Athletic Has UConn preseason #2 in Big East

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

RJ, Andre, Rese, Whaley, and Sanogo is not a feasible starting lineup... but the rest of what they say seems reasonable. That’s just not enough shooters AT ALL.

My guess?

RJ, Gaffney, Rese, Whaley, Sanogo.

Hawkins and Andre replacing Gaffney/Rese by the middle of the season if they play well, but no guarantees.

I don't think we know if it is or isn't. It could also be Gaff on the bench, and Martin playing with Andre. Not sure what the staff is seeing from Andre and Martin as far as outside shooting. But ultimately, all three will play quite a bit.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The most time in the gym is the janitor but that don’t mean he’s helping the team win games. We’ve heard stories of off season shooting, growth and development to the “next level” for decades at UCONN that did not come close to panning out for those players. Shall we list?
No need to list.
Just take another bite of your sandwich.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The most time in the gym is the janitor but that don’t mean he’s helping the team win games.
I don't know, a slippery gym floor can lead to injuries.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This. We have a ton of talent, but I’m not sure how well all the pieces fit.
The only lineup prediction I'd make is that a quality opposing squad could be fielded from the remaining players not chosen, no matter the combination.

CL82

Reaction Score
RJ
Gaffney
Jackson
Akok
Sanogo
How do you justify Gaffney over Martin? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I just don't see it based on last year.

Reaction Score
How do you justify Gaffney over Martin? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I just don't see it based on last year.
Shooting. If you insert Martin in that lineup that's easily the worst shooting lineup in college basketball with Cole and 4 guys who can't shoot

CL82

Reaction Score
Shooting. If you insert Martin in that lineup that's easily the worst shooting lineup in college basketball with Cole and 4 guys who can't shoot
1627322896960.png

Martin has a better shooting % overall (.440 vs .410). Gaff has an advantage from deep but not as much as you'd think (JG hit 17 of 47 vs. 16 of 50 for Martin). I like Jalen, but I'm not sure the loss of Martin's physicality is compensated by Jalen's nominally better shooting and better handle.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gaffney is our best finisher not named Jackson or Sanogo. He sees the floor well and can handle. I like Martin but he is just so hot or cold. Case in point: wasn’t he like 2/17 in the last two games?

Reaction Score
View attachment 68758
Martin has a better shooting % overall (.440 vs .410). Gaff has an advantage from deep but not as much as you'd think (JG hit 17 of 47 vs. 16 of 50 for Martin). I like Jalen, but I'm not sure the loss of Martin's physicality is compensated by Jalen's nominally better shooting and better handle.
Using pure shooting percentages isn't a good comparison considering the different types of shots they take. TS% and EFG% are better gauges and Gaffney is better in both (.554 vs .511 and .490 vs .482), though close still.

Martin is going to be an important player but with that lineup you're talking about 4 guys on the court the defense is packing the paint and daring to shoot from 3. I just don't see how that puts anyone in the best position to succeed, and to be clear I'm not suggesting Gaffney starts as much as I'm saying we need someone who can shoot at the 2

Reaction Score
View attachment 68758

Martin's overall 3pt% doesn't tell the whole story. He came out blazing hot and finished the last 10 games 2/17 from 3. He isn't as good of a shooter as his %s indicate yet. Hopefully that's changing this summer.

If I were to guess, I think Gaffney starts because coach expects Hawkins to be a starter by January. Our style of play with Gaffney is closer to Hawkins, so it makes sense to put him in there and develop a more consistent team identity.

I also just think that Martin would thrive in a 6th man role better than Gaff. He's mentally tough. Jalen is not. Maybe making Jalen the starter would finally start to boost his confidence a little and get him to play aggressively as the off-ball scorer we need.

Reaction Score
Martin's overall 3pt% doesn't tell the whole story. He came out blazing hot and finished the last 10 games 2/17 from 3. He isn't as good of a shooter as his %s indicate yet. Hopefully that's changing this summer.

If I were to guess, I think Gaffney starts because coach expects Hawkins to be a starter by January. Our style of play with Gaffney is closer to Hawkins, so it makes sense to put him in there and develop a more consistent team identity.

I also just think that Martin would thrive in a 6th man role better than Gaff. He's mentally tough. Jalen is not. Maybe making Jalen the starter would finally start to boost his confidence a little and get him to play aggressively as the off-ball scorer we need.
Yeah I think Gaffney, but also Hurley will likely start Martin over Jackson until Hawkins/Jackson prove themselves in games.

Jackson has more energy, should be the best 6th man we have until he can prove he's too good to sit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom