At the risk of sounding too cheerleaderish... | The Boneyard

At the risk of sounding too cheerleaderish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I cautiously posit the proposition that a close loss might actually help in the long run. I know, I know - Geno says there's no such thing as a good loss but he gets paid a million dollars a year to think that way while I get to be the Monday morning quarterback.

Anyway, all of the UConn greats have had to learn the hard way that putting on a UConn uni doesn't guarantee a team anything. Think of Svet and Shea against Iowa State in 1999 (still my most hated game as a UConn fan), Tina against LSU in 2007 or Diana against - groan- Notre Dame in 2001. It's a hard lesson for young players that have breezed through games with 40 point wins.

Kids need to learn the difference between playing aggressively and trying to do too much, about close game situations that don't come up against the Oregons of the world and about managing their emotions during a game. All of that stuff is rarely presented in real games that UConn plays so in the long run, the loss to ND may have some payoff.

I know, it sucks to lose, but I'm a silver-lining type of person.

Reaction Score
I cautiously posit the proposition that a close loss might actually help in the long run. I know, I know - Geno says there's no such thing as a good loss but he gets paid a million dollars a year to think that way while I get to be the Monday morning quarterback.

Anyway, all of the UConn greats have had to learn the hard way that putting on a UConn uni doesn't guarantee a team anything. Think of Svet and Shea against Iowa State in 1999 (still my most hated game as a UConn fan), Tina against LSU in 2007 or Diana against - groan- Notre Dame in 2001. It's a hard lesson for young players that have breezed through games with 40 point wins.

Kids need to learn the difference between playing aggressively and trying to do too much, about close game situations that don't come up against the Oregons of the world and about managing their emotions during a game. All of that stuff is rarely presented in real games that UConn plays so in the long run, the loss to ND may have some payoff.

I've always been skeptical about seeing value in a loss. For a fan it can be a welcome salve, but really, couldn't we have learned as much from a scary one point win? Maybe pain really is the best teacher, but today it just makes me want to punch something green. And I HATE leprechauns.

Reaction Score

I'm with you Nan...you can't see your real weaknesses until they're exposed. Geno can tell them all day but now they understand a little better where he's coming from.

Reaction Score
Nan, I was truly surprised to discover that you had not coined the term "cheerleaderish."

I'm also willing to concede the possibility that Notre Dame is the better team. They look like they know what they're doing in close games, and UConn looks like they're practicing scenes for the Keystone Cops movies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was thinking similar, and related thoughts right after the game. While I was obviously thrilled we did so well against Stanford, as Geno says, that was a perfect storm, and we shouldn't walk away form that game thinking we are that much better than Stanford. While I suspect every player would say the same thing, it is one thing to say it and another to believe it. It would be truly astounding if they left the Stanford game with a determined resolve to work harder in practice and play smarter in games.

KML said Geno tells them what to do in practice, and they don't always do it in games. This time, he will have their undivided attention.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've always been skeptical about seeing value in a loss. For a fan it can be a welcome salve, but really, couldn't we have learned as much from a scary one point win?.
You know, I don't think so. If they'd eked out a win, the young guys might have said, "We played terribly against a really good team but we can win without trying our hardest".

Games vs ND, Baylor and Duke will probably be the best practice for the postseason that the Huskies get. I think Geno would be OK with yesterday's loss if it weren't a league game.

Reaction Score
i expect this game will get geno's attention, also. he sounded pretty cocky on his show the other night. this loss could be one of their best losses in awhile.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I at one point started to wonder -- and still do -- if this was a case of the coach making a long-term investment. It seemed to me that, particularly in the 2nd half, more of the offensive burden was placed on Stewart than logically would be justifed: Why put that on a freshman who clearly was having a shaky, if not terrible, game? Possibly a trial by fire? Throw her into the ocean and leave it for her to figure out? And at the same time, show that you have confidence in her and her ability to do so. And that, in any case, there would be a pay off, eventually?

It's damn clear that the coaches always want to win, but don't consider a loss anytime before their last game of the year as all that important -- so I could see Geno giving Stewart the chance to step up. If she does, great, and if she doesn't, it could help her get nearer to being the player he thinks she can be in time for that final game of the year.

It reminds me of a situation with Ann Strother. It was the Big East tournament game vs BC that UConn lost. It was a close game, and in the final minutes I saw D/Geno keep giving Ann the opportunity to lead the team to victory, even though D herself was the better equipped and did have some decent opportunities to take over the game. Instead, Ann kept being put in the position to be the hero.

Everyone thought she could be. Ann had come to the program with big expectations -- as we also have with Bre. Ann was terrific as a freshman in the FF. Remember that memorable baseline drive? I think many expected she would be the heroine after D graduated. Maybe D/Geno in the BC game were hoping a success at leading the team to a comeback victory in a big game would help her to become that. But Ann couldn't do it that game, and went on after D was gone to the infamous missed free throws against Tennessee.

It looked like the Vols were going to win at the Civic Center, until Ann was fouled on a missed desparation trey. Meanning she had three free throws that could win the game. Hardly a sure thing, but Ann was great from the foul line. And if she didn't can three, two makes would tie the game. No way Ann would miss 2 free throws in 3 tries. As I recall, she swished the first, so now she just had to make one of two for a tie -- although everyone at that point, of course, was thinking she'd sink all 3 and the Huskies would beat the evil empire. It was stunning when Ann missed both remaining free throws and LV were suddenly winners.

Ann was a vital part of those teams, extremely talented and capable (and everyone loved her) but she simpply was not the type who was at her best when the game was on the line. In sports, sometimes a player -- even a mediocre player -- seems always to step up to be a hero when the team most needs him to be a hero. I think of the word 'clutch.' DT certainly was that. You know of others in other sports. You probably know of some in the real world.

Conversely, there are great players, superb talents, who never seem to come through in those situations. They can be spectacular up to the tipping point where fate is decided, and inevitably at that point fail. "The pressure got to him" is the standard clique. Or, "choke."

Ann, a wonderful basketball player with immense talent, was not clutch.

Is yesterday's game for Stewie like the BC game for Ann? Or, instead, like DT's game in her first Final Four, when she was far from clutch?

DT went on to be one of the most clutch players ever.

What's in store for Stewie?

Reaction Score

I'd like to agree with the wise HuskyNan, but there's a chronic nature, at least recently, to these late close losses to ND that makes me wonder if the team--or the scornful Skylar or even Muffett--has gotten into the collective heads of UConn coaches and players.

Which leads me to think that this loss might not be so instructive or edifying or toughening as we'd like to believe. Maybe a few more late close games between now and early March will help. Or maybe we just need to beat Notre Dame in the same manner they beat us yesterday.

Until then, I'll leave the pompoms in the closet.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Nan, I was truly surprised to discover that you had not coined the term "cheerleaderish."

I'm also willing to concede the possibility that Notre Dame is the better team. They look like they know what they're doing in close games, and UConn looks like they're practicing scenes for the Keystone Cops movies.

Yet. we lost by a point only. Image improvement and growth. Image victory as a result. This is how sport changes teams, and how teams change sport.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yet. we lost by a point only. Image improvement and growth. Image victory as a result. This is how sport changes teams, and how teams change sport.
Imagine Bria back to normal...

But, injuries and illnesses happen as do bad shooting nights. The Huskies not named Stef, Kaleena, Bria or Kelly need to learn how to deal with the possibility that someone else may have to step up - and it could be them. I hope folks remember how young many of the key players are and that they're still on a learning curve. This is a UConn team with tremendous upside.

Reaction Score

I could not agree more. There is always positives to a loss. Some players grow from a tough loss and some players fall apart. But I think that we have strong players who will use this loss to motivate themselves even better. But I swear watching Skylat Diggins, fine as she is, celebrate on our court, really burns me. Hopefully our players were watching that moment yesterday and use it for motivation, as well as last years little celebration from Ms. Diggins. But you gotta love her fire on the court! She is one pretty solid gamer.

Let's go, Huskies!!!

Reaction Score

I undertand your point but other than the 3 freshman every current player on UConn has already been exposed to a loss to ND and based on yesterday's game I don't know if they have gained any useful knowledge from that loss. Still only January so Geno has time to figure out how to beat Muffet.

Reaction Score
I agree Nan, and felt this even before the Notre Dame game. This team is too immature and their are too many players that have been playing poorly with Bria and Breanna the most important examples for UConn to continue to win and still have the drive to fix the mistakes.

Reaction Score
So I guess the question is--given the seeming paucity of competitive games with the exception of Duke and Baylor--how to integrate late close-game situations into practice.

Or maybe it is just a Notre Dame thing. Perhaps everyone might post in their lockers a picture of Skylar tossing the ball high in the air and chest-bumping, as Tina did to prepare for Sylvia Fowles. That worked, right?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I agree Nan, and felt this even before the Notre Dame game. This team is too immature and their are too many players that have been playing poorly with Bria and Breanna the most important examples for UConn to continue to win and still have the drive to fix the mistakes.

At the same time, it seems to me that BB has been strong and competent, and not only when the game is already won. In fact, at times I thought she was the only player on the court being cool and collected. I also think she's got potential to be a superior player. And the one most willing to take it to the hole. Yet the minutes she is getting don't reflect that. Maybe I'm not seeing well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I undertand your point but other than the 3 freshman every current player on UConn has already been exposed to a loss to ND and based on yesterday's game I don't know if they have gained any useful knowledge from that loss. Still only January so Geno has time to figure out how to beat Muffet.
I specifically mentioned that it was the younger players that needed to learn things don't always come easy because you wear a uniform that says "UConn".

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

Thinking back to the loss to Villanova in 2003 that ended the 70 game win streak. I think that was a GREAT wakeup call for the team. Maybe this game will serve the same purpose.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I at one point started to wonder -- and still do -- if this was a case of the coach making a long-term investment. It seemed to me that, particularly in the 2nd half, more of the offensive burden was placed on Stewart than logically would be justifed: Why put that on a freshman who clearly was having a shaky, if not terrible, game? Possibly a trial by fire? Throw her into the ocean and leave it for her to figure out? And at the same time, show that you have confidence in her and her ability to do so. And that, in any case, there would be a pay off, eventually?

It's damn clear that the coaches always want to win, but don't consider a loss anytime before their last game of the year as all that important -- so I could see Geno giving Stewart the chance to step up. If she does, great, and if she doesn't, it could help her get nearer to being the player he thinks she can be in time for that final game of the year.

It reminds me of a situation with Ann Strother. It was the Big East tournament game vs BC that UConn lost. It was a close game, and in the final minutes I saw D/Geno keep giving Ann the opportunity to lead the team to victory, even though D herself was the better equipped and did have some decent opportunities to take over the game. Instead, Ann kept being put in the position to be the hero.

Everyone thought she could be. Ann had come to the program with big expectations -- as we also have with Bre. Ann was terrific as a freshman in the FF. Remember that memorable baseline drive? I think many expected she would be the heroine after D graduated. Maybe D/Geno in the BC game were hoping a success at leading the team to a comeback victory in a big game would help her to become that. But Ann couldn't do it that game, and went on after D was gone to the infamous missed free throws against Tennessee.

It looked like the Vols were going to win at the Civic Center, until Ann was fouled on a missed desparation trey. Meanning she had three free throws that could win the game. Hardly a sure thing, but Ann was great from the foul line. And if she didn't can three, two makes would tie the game. No way Ann would miss 2 free throws in 3 tries. As I recall, she swished the first, so now she just had to make one of two for a tie -- although everyone at that point, of course, was thinking she'd sink all 3 and the Huskies would beat the evil empire. It was stunning when Ann missed both remaining free throws and LV were suddenly winners.

Ann was a vital part of those teams, extremely talented and capable (and everyone loved her) but she simpply was not the type who was at her best when the game was on the line. In sports, sometimes a player -- even a mediocre player -- seems always to step up to be a hero when the team most needs him to be a hero. I think of the word 'clutch.' DT certainly was that. You know of others in other sports. You probably know of some in the real world.

Conversely, there are great players, superb talents, who never seem to come through in those situations. They can be spectacular up to the tipping point where fate is decided, and inevitably at that point fail. "The pressure got to him" is the standard clique. Or, "choke."

Is yesterday's game for Stewie like the BC game for Ann? Or, instead, like DT's game in her first Final Four, when she was far from clutch?

A post that I would like a dozen times if the forum allowed it. I think the comparison is valid. Some frosh can take the pressure and some can't. This game should have been about anyone but Stewart. She should have been tagged by the coach to be a contributor, not the go-to as she was for so much of the game. IMO she's not ready for prime time - yet.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Good news is that they have at latest two more chances to,get even with ND and motivation should not be a problem the rest of the year!

Reaction Score

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I had nightmares all night; really took this hard, and then travelling all day, but came home feeling much like Nan, and was going to write the same. Was really glad to see the message and to feel at peace with this, at least somewhat.

Reaction Score
Breanna will be fine; however, she and Stef both need to spend more time down low, and the other players need to get the ball to them. There have been times when both have been open, and the pass doesn't get there. We can't wait until next year for Saniya to get here. The other Huskies need to keep their heads up and their eyes open. When the three point shot isn't falling, like yesterday, they have to get the ball down low, or we will not be in the Finals in March.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
... [Stewie] and Stef both need to spend more time down low, and the other players need to get the ball to them. There have been times when both have been open, and the pass doesn't get there. We can't wait until next year for Saniya to get here.

Saniya as a freshman is going to solve a supposed problem that Caroline, Bria, Brianna, and Moriah haven't been able to solve? And she is somehow going to be immune from freshman jitters and mistakes?

Actually I don't think ball movement was the problem. UConn had 21 assists on 28 made baskets in comparison to 12 for ND.

Stef, working from the HIGH post, had 6 assists -- she wouldn't have gotten those if she were posted down low. Putting her down there would remove her contribution as a passer, which is one of her best skills. I'm not saying that she should never go down low (and she did do that on several occasions yesterday and scored successfully), but if she plays down there most of the time the offense will falter.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

You sure you're not whistling past the graveyard? (-;

Sorry...couldn't resist. I was of the same opinion when Baylor lost to Stanford. Baylor needed to get better and there is nothing like a loss to get a team's attention. I agree with you that there is a good loss and this could be one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom