At halftime we replaced the Atlanta staff | Page 3 | The Boneyard

At halftime we replaced the Atlanta staff

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love how people who have an ax to grind on the Pats all say the Falcons should have gone away from their offense because the play got blown up by New England.
I rode Devonta Freeman to a fantasy championship. Shanahan should have done the same for the real title. He was averaging 6.8 yards last night, and the Falcons only needed a field goal to put the game away.

To borrow from a different sport(s movie) you don't always need to go for the course record, Roy. Sometimes par is good enough to win.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People forget that Tyree's catch was preceded by this escape by Eli.
gal-catch5-jpg.jpg

No, Patriots fans don't forget. They just don't like to talk about it.

Reaction Score
No, Patriots fans don't forget. They just don't like to talk about it.
Insecure Patriots fans.

Big whoop @ Eli. Told y'all he sucks. We got FIVE Super Bowl wins!

Reaction Score
Loved the Pats comeback, but as bad as the Falcon's coaching strategy was late in the game, the Pats almost had their own Seahawk moment. Ball on the 2 yd line in overtime. 1st down. Instead of running the ball with LeGarrette Blount (our Marshawn Lynch), the call was a pass to the side of the end zone to Martellus Bennett that hung just long enough that it was very close to being "Malcolm Butler-ed" by Vic Beasley. Can you imagine what would have been said about Belichick's play call had that happened and the Falcons marched down for a winning FG? But it didn't happen. And all is forgotten in the euphoria of victory.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I didn't realize that Devonta Freeman wasn't part of the Falcons offense . . .
That kid is scary good. I was grateful they didn't use him much. That 50 yard run (or catch and run?) was frightening. After that Jones catch Freeman would have delivered the trophy but...

Reaction Score
Actually the Patriots had pretty much shut down thus run by a by the middle of the 3rd quuarter. The previous 10 runs had gained a total of 20 yards with something like 4 going for no gain. That's the problem with averages. 6.8 for the game but over the last few minutes the average dropped to under 2. Plus the Falcons are who they are and their offense is based on throwing the football. Very few teams go away from who they are. Maybe with 2 minutes to go but not with 5. Let's face it, if Ryan had hit Jones for a score or around the 2 it would have been a great call. The Patriots made a great play on d so it was dumb. That is Francesa thinking.

Reaction Score
Atlanta was 22nd in the league in pass percentage at 57.73%. That's the bottom third of the league. So, no, their offense was not based on throwing the football.

Yes, New England had limited the running game in the third quarter, but additional yards were almost irrelevant with the ball on the 23 yard line up 8. Run it, burn 38 seconds off the play clock, and kick the field goal, and the game is essentially over. Beyond the decision to run, Atlanta snapped the ball at least three times in the two possessions prior to the tying drive with more than ten seconds on the play clock. They literally could have run out the clock just by melting the play clock a bit more, and replacing 2 passes with runs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Actually the Patriots had pretty much shut down thus run by a by the middle of the 3rd quuarter. The previous 10 runs had gained a total of 20 yards with something like 4 going for no gain. That's the problem with averages. 6.8 for the game but over the last few minutes the average dropped to under 2. Plus the Falcons are who they are and their offense is based on throwing the football. Very few teams go away from who they are. Maybe with 2 minutes to go but not with 5. Let's face it, if Ryan had hit Jones for a score or around the 2 it would have been a great call. The Patriots made a great play on d so it was dumb. That is Francesa thinking.
How people not understand that yards in that situation are a luxury. The Falcons where well within field goal range. Even with the holding penalty (which could just as easily be called on a run as it is on a pass), that pushes the FG attempt into the low 50's, still well within Bryant's range, especially indoors.

Just because Atlanta scored a crap-ton of points this year, it's foolhardy to believe it was only with the pass. They ran up almost 2,000 (good for #5 in the NFL) rushing yards.

Heck, even Shanahan himself said as much.

Zach KleinVerified account‏@ZachKleinWSB
Those who spoke with Kyle Shanahan last night at Falcons team hotel tell me he said "I blew it" #SB51

C3_gH0HUcAI9WJy.jpg

Reaction Score
I saw a stat somewhere that after the Falcons had 28 points, they rant he ball 4 times. 4 TIMES!!!! When they were up 25 points, then 19, then 16, then 8.. they ran the ball 4 times!!!! That sack and strip by Hightower should have never happened because they should have been running the ball. And even if you want to argue that you're ok with the call (fine, difference of opinion).. you got the onside kick later on + a 5 yard penalty so you are starting close to the Pats 40 with an 8 point lead and what, 3-4 minutes left? Why are you not running it, burning their time outs and then lord willing kicking a field goal to go up 2 scores?

Terrific comeback by the Pats and an epic choke by the Atlanta coaching staff. That's what champions do, they capitalize on mistakes and opportunities given to them by the opposing team and the Pats certainly did that.

Brady could have had a 4 INT game too.. that corner fade in the endzone where the Atlanta defender just went up with one had, the ball that got beat up in the air and Bennet came out of left field on a cross route and caught it and then the Edelman catch where it basically hit the Atl linebacker right in the chest before it bounced off like 60 things and into Edelman's hands. I think even he thought it was a pick because he stopped his route short and was able to collect himself and comeback for the tip. As a Giants fan, it was a little refreshing to see some of those breaks go the Pats way for a change.. as a Yankees fan though, damn it Atlanta!!!

Reaction Score
Funny thing about this game is that if you looked at the box score and not seen the score you would think that the Patriots won in a blow out. Atlanta only had one third down conversion all game. Despite being down 21-3 , the Patriots out gained Atlanta in the first half. The Patriots ran almost twice as many plays and had nearly twice the time of possessions. The Patriots problems in the first half were mostly self inflicted. A fumble, a pick six dropped passes and blown coverages. I felt at halftime like they could get back into the game if they just cleaned some things up and played like they have all season.

Reaction Score
I saw a stat somewhere that after the Falcons had 28 points, they rant he ball 4 times. 4 TIMES!!!! When they were up 25 points, then 19, then 16, then 8.. they ran the ball 4 times!!!! That sack and strip by Hightower should have never happened because they should have been running the ball. And even if you want to argue that you're ok with the call (fine, difference of opinion).. you got the onside kick later on + a 5 yard penalty so you are starting close to the Pats 40 with an 8 point lead and what, 3-4 minutes left? Why are you not running it, burning their time outs and then lord willing kicking a field goal to go up 2 scores?

Terrific comeback by the Pats and an epic choke by the Atlanta coaching staff. That's what champions do, they capitalize on mistakes and opportunities given to them by the opposing team and the Pats certainly did that.

Brady could have had a 4 INT game too.. that corner fade in the endzone where the Atlanta defender just went up with one had, the ball that got beat up in the air and Bennet came out of left field on a cross route and caught it and then the Edelman catch where it basically hit the Atl linebacker right in the chest before it bounced off like 60 things and into Edelman's hands. I think even he thought it was a pick because he stopped his route short and was able to collect himself and comeback for the tip. As a Giants fan, it was a little refreshing to see some of those breaks go the Pats way for a change.. as a Yankees fan though, damn it Atlanta!!!
Eli got some breaks against the Pats also. There were a couple of balls that should have been picked on the drive that Tyree caught the ball. If Tate George catches a ball before if goes out of bounds Christain Laettner doesn't get a chance to hit a game winner and UConn is in the 1990 final four. It happens. That's sports.

Reaction Score
Atlanta was 22nd in the league in pass percentage at 57.73%. That's the bottom third of the league. So, no, their offense was not based on throwing the football.

Yes, New England had limited the running game in the third quarter, but additional yards were almost irrelevant with the ball on the 23 yard line up 8. Run it, burn 38 seconds off the play clock, and kick the field goal, and the game is essentially over. Beyond the decision to run, Atlanta snapped the ball at least three times in the two possessions prior to the tying drive with more than ten seconds on the play clock. They literally could have run out the clock just by melting the play clock a bit more, and replacing 2 passes with runs.
Pats fan, and I agree 100 percent with this. Came a point in that game, due to the time left and deficit, when the Pats missed the XP, that Atlanta would have to do everything wrong and the Pats everything right for that comeback to happen.

Both things happened, and that doesn't diminish in my mind the comeback. Most playoff games where a team is down 25 points turn into blowouts, because the team trying to comeback implodes trying to get it all back on one play. I was yelling at the tv for Brady to speed things up. Thought he was wasting too much time, but the mother effer never deviated and lost his cool. Shout out to the defense too. After the Jones catch they stopped Atlanta for a 1yd loss and a sack on back to back plays. The Pats never stopped playing/believing, and I think it's bacause of their belief in number 12 giving them a chance, if they could just hold them.

Reaction Score
Pats fan, and I agree 100 percent with this. Came a point in that game, due to the time left and deficit, when the Pats missed the XP, that Atlanta would have to do everything wrong and the Pats everything right for that comeback to happen.

Both things happened, and that doesn't diminish in my mind the comeback. Most playoff games where a team is down 25 points turn into blowouts, because the team trying to comeback implodes trying to get it all back on one play. I was yelling at the tv for Brady to speed things up. Thought he was wasting too much time, but the mother effer never deviated and lost his cool. Shout out to the defense too. After the Jones catch they stopped Atlanta for a 1yd loss and a sack on back to back plays. The Pats never stopped playing/believing, and I think it's bacause of their belief in number 12 giving them a chance, if they could just hold them.

I get the interpretation that focusing on the collapse diminishes what New England did, but that is not my intention. The Patriots did what the Patriots do -- out execute everyone when it matters. That it is so routine is a testament to how remarkable they have been for more than 15 years.

Reaction Score
Eli got some breaks against the Pats also. There were a couple of balls that should have been picked on the drive that Tyree caught the ball. If Tate George catches a ball before if goes out of bounds Christain Laettner doesn't get a chance to hit a game winner and UConn is in the 1990 final four. It happens. That's sports.

Agreed. All I was saying is the Falcons had like 4 or 5 chances to shut the door on that thing and just couldn't get out of their own way, and kudos to the Pats for making them pay for it. And now Shanahan is off to San Fran.

Laettner.. 1990's Grayson Allen

Reaction Score
The Pats D deserves some more credit - if they had allowed even 1 first down the game would have been over.

Reaction Score
that catch by Edelman was one of the key plays of the game. Not only did he make a great catch of the ball, but a solid catch of alfords foot in the process.

Reaction Score

Eli also had thrown an interception of the hands off the hands of Steve Smith earlier in the game that would have been an easy 1st down in the red zone, a game of inches.

Reaction Score
Anybody else see the Tony Gonzalez documentary on cable? Painful reminder of how the Altanta Falcons never finish the job... He's playing his final game with them vs. the 40whiners in the NFC championship game, the whiners score late and you can read his lips sitting on the bench ("I knew it") then shaking his head...

It's like they are destined to finish second... and they like it...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom