At halftime we replaced the Atlanta staff | Page 2 | The Boneyard

At halftime we replaced the Atlanta staff

Reaction Score
I just love how the haters try and make this about something other than a great great comeback. Best of all times. It isn't about Hightowers great play or Edelman's incredible catch or Tom Brady. It's because Atlanta made a bad call. Please, in the NFL in that situation it is hardly unusual to throw. Especially when you have the league MVP at qb and the best receiver in the game. Just like last time haters wanted to claim it was about Pete Carroll calling a pass in a situation where NFL coaches and regularly throw. This was pure and simple a great comeback by a dominant team of the era.

Reaction Score
I just love how the haters try and make this about something other than a great great comeback. Best of all times. It isn't about Hightowers great play or Edelman's incredible catch or Tom Brady. It's because Atlanta made a bad call. Please, in the NFL in that situation it is hardly unusual to throw. Especially when you have the league MVP at qb and the best receiver in the game. Just like last time haters wanted to claim it was about Pete Carroll calling a pass in a situation where NFL coaches and regularly throw. This was pure and simple a great comeback by a dominant team of the era.

Game was 75% gag job, 25% comeback.

Reaction Score
with Bob Diaco.

Let's see if people notice

#ratings
Actually it happened right after the Dan Quinn led Falcons offense scored their 28th point. ATL went into cruise control... Damn shame....

Reaction Score
Game was 75% gag job, 25% comeback.
I can't disagree. It was an amazing comeback for the ages, but everything had to break right. After the Julio Jones catch, the Pats were dead. The following plays happened, Atlanta ran for 1 yd loss, Ryan sacked for loss of 12 yds, [I think], complete pass/holding call for 10 yd loss, incomplete pass that stopped the clock. The Jones catch put them on the 22, they lost 23 yds and stopped the clock on an incomplete.

That sequence was the ball game.

Even still 2tds and 2 two point conversions in 8 minutes was amazing.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The first three quarters were just prelude. The fourth quarter and OT is where we saw the true Falcons and the true Patriots.

Reaction Score
How many teams don't throw in the towel down by 25? How many teams go out and make not 1 but 2 2- point conversions? And Atlanta had the leagues best passer and receiver and the highest scoring offense. You don't get those numbers by running into the line. Calling for a pass was hardly the strange call everyone makes it out to be. A td there and there is no chance the Pats come back. 3 and it's still possible. Hard but possible.

Reaction Score
How many teams don't throw in the towel down by 25? How many teams go out and make not 1 but 2 2- point conversions? And Atlanta had the leagues best passer and receiver and the highest scoring offense. You don't get those numbers by running into the line. Calling for a pass was hardly the strange call everyone makes it out to be. A td there and there is no chance the Pats come back. 3 and it's still possible. Hard but possible.

It's simple math. Starting from the 3rd and 1 pass that led to a sack and a fumble, the Falcons absolutely blew the time management. You run the ball on that play, and even if you don't get the first down, more clock runs and you punt. That leads to a longer field for NE and....more clock running.

Now, you can question that one maybe, but when you are at the 23 yard line, up 8 and not running the ball, the clock and setting up a field goal, well...you completely deserve what you got. The ineptitude of the Falcons coaches simply created a situation that one of the very best to ever play took advantage of.

Reaction Score
And the Giants were at home, crying in their beer.

Nope far from it, I watched the game with a bunch of Pats fans and enjoyed it. Your the one crying about the Giants after you won a Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
It is hard to lose a game you are up 19 points with 17 minutes left, really hard. Also consider, Falcons got the back on an onside kick plus 5 yrd penalty. They were already close to fg range there, 3 and out lost yards and punt. Then the sack fumble on 3rd and 1 and finally in fg range to close out the game and they drop to pass, get sacked, lose 10 yrds on holding and have to punt. Pats did everything right in that final quarter, but Falcons completely choked it away. Congrats to the Pats, they didn't quit and took advantage of every opportunity late, that's what champs do.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
People forget that Tyree's catch was preceded by this escape by Eli.
gal-catch5-jpg.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To me the second down sack was eerily similar to the completely unnecessary pass to the deep sideline (which became (pick 6) against Vandy. In each case a game that had reached the point of being merely a formality opened the door for a comeback. Stupidity snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Reaction Score
Something to consider with Atlanta's offensive play calling on the drive where they reached the Patriots 22 yard line: At that point, late in the 4th quarter, Matt Ryan had only 4 incompletions and he had just completed an amazing pass to Julio Jones. He was the league MVP and had directed an offense that scored the 7th most points in league history. In hindsight, going ultra-conservative was the right thing to do, but why would the Falcons go away what had worked all year and all game?

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I would love to have been a fly on the locker room walls at halftime. I bet the Falcons were excited, happy, enjoying themselves, "Let's just keep this up for 2 more quarters and we're good!". Meanwhile, the Patriots were probably pissed off, analyzing ATL and making smart adjustments... New England had the right attitude and Atlanta was too relaxed. The Patriots were "Hungry Huskies"! I think the Brady-suspension may have had a similar effect that UConn basketball's post-season ban had on the 2014 team.

The biggest difference to me in the second half was tempo. New England was very methodical and deliberate in the first half, without great results. It's almost like they used the first half to set up the second half, Atlanta though they had the Patriots figured out but just couldn't keep up with Tom Brady sped things up in the second half.

The Patriots offense typically performs better in hurry-up/no-huddle situation. In past year, they'd use a quick tempo to great results all season, then falter in the post-season as playoff teams knew their tricks and were prepared. This year was different. New England hardly every went no-huddle this season. It's like they kept this trick up their sleeve for when they needed it most. Atlanta thought they were prepared for New England, but got gassed by the tempo and simply could not keep up with the Patriots at the end of the game.

What an incredible game to watch, either way. I'm grateful to be able to watch New England on a weekly basis, it's the only way I've remember what 'good football' is over the past 6 years!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I love the people saying it wasn't a great comeback it was a terrible collapse. It's like saying Hank Aaron was a bad hitter but for the 755 times the pitcher made a mistake. Anything to piss in the Cheerios of champions.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Nope far from it, I watched the game with a bunch of Pats fans and enjoyed it. Your the one crying about the Giants after you won a Super Bowl.

No crying at my house. Both my teams (Cubs, Patriots) are world champs. The NBA and NHL suck.

Reaction Score
I love how people who have an ax to grind on the Pats all say the Falcons should have gone away from their offense because the play got blown up by New England.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom